Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is the SEGA intro supposed to make me jump out of my chair?

I have just started a recruit/rear end in a top hat run. As you can imagine this has hilarious moments where I'll say something totally dick followed up by something completely noobish right after each other. To be honest alot of the recruit responses so far have been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

I have just hunted down and bought this game (for 10quid preowned) solely because of this thread. So I hope the OP finally feels s/he has achieved something and can rest easy.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Haledjian posted:

That's exactly what it's doing. :smith:

Actually it's more of a getting-punched grunt than a manly grunt.
The game will do this if the DRM is messing up. Get the 1.1 patch that removes the DRM.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, anyone know what specific triggers are necessary for getting Marburg to backstab Parker, because Parker was the guy who pulled the plug on Deus Vult and left him to dry years ago? Is there some intel I'm missing, do I need a specific approach, or what?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Speedball posted:

So, anyone know what specific triggers are necessary for getting Marburg to backstab Parker, because Parker was the guy who pulled the plug on Deus Vult and left him to dry years ago? Is there some intel I'm missing, do I need a specific approach, or what?

There is some secret dossier info on Marburg you need. It's in Marburg's villa and you need to buy the map beforehand in the Clearinghouse to be able to find it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Just finished my earnest, professional recruit Thornton run-through last night. Big beard, hooligan cap, and almost all missions in civilian clothes with a pistol/stealth/martial arts build. I've got to say I don't think I've had a more gratifying and satisfying experience in a video game than when I shot Leland down like a rabid dog.

Next I'm gonna do a veteran, aggressive, shotgun-toting tough guy Thornton who gives no fucks about alarms. This game is phenomenal, the best five bucks I ever spent.

Also, is there any way to kill Marburg after he runs away from the fight in the museum?

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

You just need all of their dossiers (you should have 100% of Marburg's and 80% of Parker's plus his secret fact before stating the final mission ).

EDIT: There are two different e-mails from Mina where you have to option to get intel on Parker, are you sure you're getting those?

Lynx fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 21, 2011

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

gohuskies posted:

you need to buy the map beforehand in the Clearinghouse to be able to find it.

Besides the one bit of intel you mentioned, is there anything else that can only be found if you buy the map? I've always avoided buying them, it seemed like a waste of money.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Besides the one bit of intel you mentioned, is there anything else that can only be found if you buy the map? I've always avoided buying them, it seemed like a waste of money.

There's no such thing as wasting money on intel.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

As far as I know, that's the only time.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

BSAKat posted:

But that's money that could be spent buying tons of assault rifle ammo for when the alarms go off and I go from James Bond to Rambo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I'm with you, I never buy the maps because when I do I never use them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Haledjian posted:

Is the main menu supposed to make grunting noises?

This happened to me before and the game became unplayable any time it happened. (Thankfully it only happened a few times and it would usually play just fine after a restart.)

yatzik
Apr 2, 2011

Not even a teensy bit of killing?
Played through it on veteran hard (as an rear end in a top hat) and the part when (spoiler about end-game) I found out that Scarlet killed Sung made me seriously consider playing the game once more. If only NWN1 modules would let their grip over me go. The mini-games (specially the point-pin one and hacking) sucked on keyboard and mouse, I'll need to get me a gamepad or some such I imagine.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BSAKat posted:

Also, is there any way to kill Marburg after he runs away from the fight in the museum?

Two ways. (Rome) If you're a smug, arrogant dick, you can goad Marburg into fighting you to the death rather than retreating. AFAICT to do this you need to have chosen mostly Suave responses (just choosing them when talking to Marburg isn't enough - you need to have a reputation), and have most of his dossier. If you miss your chance there, you can (endgame) fight him to the death in the Greybox depending on your choices there - I'm pretty sure that if you don't convince him to turn on Leland, you have to fight him.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

THE PWNER posted:

I found it ridiculously easy with a mouse, the only time I hosed it up was when I accidently hit "EXIT" when clicking to lock the bars in place which sets off alarms for some reason.

I wish this game had a way to analyze the minigame you're about to enter into and present the player with the relative difficulty of the minigame based upon your skills in hacking/lockpicking so that you'd know what you're getting into before you actually made an attempt at it, since backing out of the minigame risks raising an alarm.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BSAKat posted:

Or just use the Cheatengine program to do your own hacking mini-game and get a bit better money supply for spending sprees.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Started up a new playthrough tonight. Played this game three (four?) times already and just realized pressing down on the d-pad switches the camera to your other shoulder.

Also I might be misremembering here, but Mike usually has his casual shirt untucked around the safehouse/on missions, etc, right? I chose all Professional and Veteran options in training this time and now that I'm in Saudi he has his shirt tucked into his pants. Because he's so professional. :stare:

This loving game?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bloodcider posted:

tucking shirt

This loving game?

Are you making GBS threads me? Are you making GBS threads me.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I poo poo you not.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7MCb_CGrRE

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bloodcider posted:

Your wardrobe is choice

Truly, Alpha Protocol is a puzzle, wrapped around an enigma, wrapped around a mystery, wrapped around a creamy nougat center.

> apgame.exe

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Bloodcider posted:

Also I might be misremembering here, but Mike usually has his casual shirt untucked around the safehouse/on missions, etc, right? I chose all Professional and Veteran options in training this time and now that I'm in Saudi he has his shirt tucked into his pants. Because he's so professional. :stare:

I'm pretty sure Mike always has his shirt tucked in Saudi. At least I can't remember ever seeing it untucked across 9 or so playthroughs. To be fair, I usually go professional, but still it seems really unlikely that you clothes of all things would change depending on your attitude in conversations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lynx posted:

I'm pretty sure Mike always has his shirt tucked in Saudi. At least I can't remember ever seeing it untucked across 9 or so playthroughs. To be fair, I usually go professional, but still it seems really unlikely that you clothes of all things would change depending on your attitude in conversations.

Yeah, no, clothing's not changed by attitude.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
It should be. He should turn into a Juggalo after a while.

Also, I am trying so hard to like this game, but it keeps punching me in the dick. I was in the infiltrate-the-airfield mission (apparently setting off all the alarms and shooting everyone counts as infiltrating). Anyway I paused it to look at the mission objectives and I can't figure out how to get back to the game. Escape doesn't work. Oh god.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Haledjian posted:

Also, I am trying so hard to like this game, but it keeps punching me in the dick. I was in the infiltrate-the-airfield mission (apparently setting off all the alarms and shooting everyone counts as infiltrating). Anyway I paused it to look at the mission objectives and I can't figure out how to get back to the game. Escape doesn't work. Oh god.

Tried Tab?

Working too much lately to play this game , sadly. Not to mention I still have about thirty different games in my backlog to get through. But I don't think I've done anything SMG-centric yet, so that might be my next run.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Haledjian posted:

Tab gets you out of there. It took me awhile too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Haledjian posted:

That's exactly what it's doing. :smith:

Actually it's more of a getting-punched grunt than a manly grunt.

I had it do that exactly once, and it complained that my saved games were corrupt when i tried to load them. It fixed itself when I restarted the game. I don't know what caused it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You know, the pistol is so God-damned useful that even after like five or six playthroughs I still haven't tried to get the achievements for any of the other weapons, except the submachine guns for when I need crowd control. I'm gonna need to go out of my way to play someone who only uses the assault rifle or shotgun now.

That, or try to be a Darcy-like gadgeteer who chucks grenades like crazy.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Judge Jury and Executioner ffffffffffff

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

gohuskies posted:

What I need to know for sure for this is, do you need to execute everyone it is possible to execute? For example: If you bed Mina, you never really confront her on her on her setting you up to go rogue in the first place; same goes for Scarlet Lake if you don't get told by Omen Deng about who she really is. I'm not actually sure it's possible to go after both. You'd need some clever plot-tweaking to get it just so...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think you can always get the chance to kill both Mina and Scarlet. Just find them in the last level. I've never not had the option for both of them.

gohuskies posted:

My psychic powers tell me you shot Brayko too soon.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Speedball posted:

What I need to know for sure for this is, do you need to execute everyone it is possible to execute? For example: If you bed Mina, you never really confront her on her on her setting you up to go rogue in the first place; same goes for Scarlet Lake if you don't get told by Omen Deng about who she really is. I'm not actually sure it's possible to go after both. You'd need some clever plot-tweaking to get it just so...

Yeah, how do you get Scarlet if you execute Deng? Deng tells you she's the shooter, but if he's dead, he can't do that. So she doesn't show up in the Greybox in the room, or at least she didn't for me. I was hoping she'd show up at the end when I confronted Leland, as happens sometimes, but she never showed. I think you might have to spare Leland, she shows, Heck kills her, and then you get another chance to do Leland. But I took the first chance on him. AND I missed the headslam opportunity, not sure how I missed that one, and I LOVE headslamming. And I didn't execute Mina myself - I never got that option, just leave her or save her, and she was at -10 with me. Not sure what is up there, if leaving her counts or I didn't get the option for some reason. I actually know the Brayko thing so I get Surkov every time now. But I don't know how some of the either/or kills work - SIE vs Albatross at Brayko's and Parker vs Marburg at the Greybox. I know with the latter, you can sic one on the other, but does that count? Or do you need to get Marburg in Rome? I don't know if you have to do them yourself to count. Gaaaahhh what a stupid achievement but it's really the only one worth having. Just finished the playthrough 10 minutes ago so it's on the mind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ If she likes you enough she confesses to being the assassin when you meet her in the Greybox, no need for Deng to get involved at all; that's how it played out on my first playthrough. I'm pretty sure the trigger for her showing up in the Greybox isn't Deng telling you about her; it's you meeting with her before you return there.

Speedball posted:

Wrong on both counts.

First: When you go to rescue Mina in the Greybox you have the option of killing her (or leaving her to die) even if you slept with her. You can also get her to tell you about how she set you up and sleep with her anyways (and then kill her).

Second: Give Scarlet the evidence, sleep with her, then find her in the Greybox. She'll confess to being the assassin and you can kill her.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ If she likes you enough she confesses to being the assassin when you meet her in the Greybox, no need for Deng to get involved at all; that's how it played out on my first playthrough.

Wrong on both counts.

First: When you go to rescue Mina in the Greybox you have the option of killing her (or leaving her to die) even if you slept with her. You can also get her to tell you about how she set you up and sleep with her anyways (and then kill her).

Second: Give Scarlet the evidence, sleep with her, then find her in the Greybox. She'll confess to being the assassin and you can kill her.

First: Are you sure you get an execute option? Under what condition? I was at -10 and only got leaver her or save her

Second: she wasn't in the room this time! I went there and she wasn't there! I feel ripped off!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Speedball posted:

What I need to know for sure for this is, do you need to execute everyone it is possible to execute?
Pretty much! I'm pretty sure the only exceptions are Westridge, Parker, and Marburg. Also, you have to kill either Albatross or Sie, but you can't kill both.

quote:

You'd need some clever plot-tweaking to get it just so...
You do!

It's a pretty annoying achievement to get, since you pretty much have to know what you're doing pretty early on to get. A few things:

-Make sure you execute your handler at Brayko's mansion.
-As mentioned, don't kill Brayko until you have the info to go after Surkov
-Get Mina to dislike you. You have to go to the bomb room and make the choice to kill her for the achievement. You can't just ignore the room, and if your approval is high enough you may not get the option to kill her.
-Take Heck as your handler, don't take Leland's deal, and don't visit Scarlet in the Greybox. Then, after fighting Leland, go against your instinct and choose the option to spare him. Scarlet will show up, and you'll get a very amusing option to kill her. After that, you'll be given the option to kill Leland a second time. Just as you put a bullet through his skull the achievement will unlock if you did everything else right.

Edit:

gohuskies posted:

First: Are you sure you get an execute option? Under what condition? I was at -10 and only got leaver her or save her
"Leave her" counts for the achievement

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 22, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Hannibal Smith posted:

-Take Heck as your handler, don't take Leland's deal, and don't visit Scarlet in the Greybox. Then, after fighting Leland, go against your instinct and choose the option to spare him. Scarlet will show up, and you'll get a very amusing option to kill her. After that, you'll be given the option to kill Leland a second time. Just as you put a bullet through his skull the achievement will unlock if you did everything else right.

When I tried this the other night I I let Scarlet kill Leland first and then got Heck to kill her so it appears you can kill these two characters in any order but I don't know how that will affect the achievement.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Speedball posted:

Is it possible, and what happens if you do both this and reveal that Marburg killed parkers daughter?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ShineDog posted:

Is it possible, and what happens if you do both this and reveal that Marburg killed parkers daughter?

Someone claimed upthread that you can't do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Someone claimed upthread that you can't do both.

That was me - you have the conversation with Marburg before the conversation with Parker, and if you tell Marburg about Deus Vult, the option to tell Parker about Madison doesn't come up.

• Locked thread