Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

There's one that lets you hardlock some one's PS3. No idea how to do it, but a guy on my friends list does it all the time, he wont tell me how though. I think it involves Dead Eye though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
There seems to be some sort of rapid fire glitch. I killed like 16 people in a row with deadeye and had one of the best Grab The Bag matches of my life so naturally the whole server claimed I was using it. I had never seen it, but then later that night on a Capture The Bag on Hennigan's Stead I saw a guy that was using it, at least I think so.

It sort of looks like deadeye, they shoot really fast, but you can tell it's not dead eye because there is a slight pause between shots. They had the poo poo repeater carbine but were popping it off like it was a double action revolver.

God I hate people that ruin poo poo...

edit: sometimes you play a game so much and it's so familiar you become jaded...then you join a game and spawn here:

Sco Dylan fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 8, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Sco Dylan posted:

edit: sometimes you play a game so much and it's so familiar you become jaded...then you join a game and spawn here:

Yeah, I think there was an early review where a guy said how he loved just riding off into the desert in a slow trot. I thought he was exaggerating until I got to Rio Del Lobo. What helps is that you can go almost anywhere, never mind the roads. As soon as I win a few hundred million dollars, I'll hire the devs responsible for RDR's scenery and ask for the full American continent.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Underflow posted:

Yeah, I think there was an early review where a guy said how he loved just riding off into the desert in a slow trot. I thought he was exaggerating until I got to Rio Del Lobo. What helps is that you can go almost anywhere, never mind the roads. As soon as I win a few hundred million dollars, I'll hire the devs responsible for RDR's scenery and ask for the full American continent.

Yeah, tell me about it. I just borrowed RDR from my brother since I've been meaning to play it for a while and I love revisionist and spaghetti Westerns so this game rocks. My favorite aspect is just riding through the desert with the Morricone-esque soundtrack playing - reminds me of the opening credits of High Plains Drifter.

I just finished the Fort Mercer mission so I've gotta go to Mexico whenever I feel like doing that.

Just caught one of the Bollard Twins bounties alive and took him back to MacFarlane's ranch. Talk about an epic movie-like scenario - I almost bought the farm after I got cornered against some cliffs by the guys who pursue you after you capture or kill a bounty. Killed all of them except for one guy who got knocked off his horse, so I lassoed him and dragged him behind my horse for a while until he died, then I got chased by about 3-4 more groups of guys since I ended up taking the long way back around the cliffs to the ranch from Brittlebrush Trawl. Killed them or shot their horses from under them and made it back to the ranch safely.

Probably old news by now but I found it helps slow down the auto-respawn of bounty pursuers if you just shoot the horses and leave the riders alive. Helped a bit with this one - I was damned if I was gonna die after all that effort. Plus I can't get enough of using the sawed-off double-barrel shotgun to double-tap people while using Deadeye. Guaranteed to put 'em down if you're close enough.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 8, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Encryptic posted:

I just finished the Fort Mercer mission so I've gotta go to Mexico whenever I feel like doing that.

Be sure to time it so you start the Mexico mission at dusk, don't get off your horse (or do anything else) once you're on the other side and the music starts, and take the slow trail along the river.

I didn't know you could slow spawning of pursuers like that. Usually try to keep the horses alive. Always feel silly when I just missed a cougar and gave my own horse 2 barrels instead. Cougar breakfast.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
The only problem I have with the RDR gameworld is that there's roads loving everywhere. There's barely any actual wilderness except for in, like, Tall Trees. I think it probably would've been cooler just with roads between the towns but Rockstar tried pretty hard to make the game accessible (fast travelling from camp - really?) so whatever.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Dush posted:

The only problem I have with the RDR gameworld is that there's roads loving everywhere. There's barely any actual wilderness except for in, like, Tall Trees. I think it probably would've been cooler just with roads between the towns but Rockstar tried pretty hard to make the game accessible (fast travelling from camp - really?) so whatever.

Speaking of - how do you get to Tall Trees and all that stuff north of Thieves Landing? I tried multiple times but every bridge I tried was conveniently under construction. Do you just not get to go there until you finish Mexico or is there something else I should have done that would unlock it?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Encryptic posted:

Speaking of - how do you get to Tall Trees and all that stuff north of Thieves Landing? I tried multiple times but every bridge I tried was conveniently under construction. Do you just not get to go there until you finish Mexico or is there something else I should have done that would unlock it?

It's the whole GTA thing of stopping you going to areas until you unlock them with conveniently disabled bridges. You're right, you get to go there after Mexico.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dush posted:

Come on down to South Texas and you will rarely find trees unless someone actively planted them.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Encryptic posted:

You can kinda glitch it. This was a glitch that was in the unpatched game, patched out, then brought back in for some reason. If you go directly north from the MacFarlane ranch, then over some train tracks, you'll come to a waterfall. Should be on your right. Go behind the trees and along the cliffs and you'll get the prompt you're in Tall Trees at the top of your screen.

Now, go back to the ranch and get a bounty. Go to the spot where you got the Tall Trees prompt and let yourself get arrested. You'll be taken to the jail in Blackwater, free to get yourself the American Standardbred, tomahawks, everything up north. Well, assuming you have the lasso you can get the horse :v: To get back down south you can haul rear end across down the trail into Thieves Landing and if you hold to the left side of the bridge and jump, you can clear the gap but just barely.

No way to get in to Mexico early, though.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'm not that dead set on getting over the river to Tall Trees just yet - I got plenty of random stuff to do now that I'm in Mexico. I got there yesterday and promptly drygulched a couple of locals for no reason, killed some local wildlife and met the glider guy already. I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't manage to piss off half the country and drive every species to near-extinction by the time I finish that portion of the game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I haven't really followed this thread, and so I apologise if this has been hashed over many times already. At 221 pages it's too late to do anything other than join in at the end.

So anyway, I need some advice as concerns online/multiplayer. I finished the main story several months back, and while I'm extremely underwhelmed by the game I do love the setting and want to immerse myself in it some more. I just picked up the Undead Nightmare pack from XBLA as it went on sale again.

But the multiplayer. I tried it once, and I found it just wretchedly horrible. Now either I was doing it wrong, or it really does just suck hairy balls. Obviously it benefits me more if you can just tell me that I wasn't getting into it the right way. I remember spawning (eventually) into a place where I just got shot repeatedly by pubbies who had no interest in anything other than running and gunning, which the game engine isn't designed for. Then I tried some shootout thing and they all seemed to have awesome weapons while I had only a shotgun I stumbled across.

Despite spending a frustrating hour at it, I'm willing to go back in with an open mind and try and find the good times. If there are good times to be had. What would you guys recommend I do to start? Is there a right way to do RDR multi? Thanks in advance.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Parkingtigers posted:

I haven't really followed this thread, and so I apologise if this has been hashed over many times already. At 221 pages it's too late to do anything other than join in at the end.

So anyway, I need some advice as concerns online/multiplayer. I finished the main story several months back, and while I'm extremely underwhelmed by the game I do love the setting and want to immerse myself in it some more. I just picked up the Undead Nightmare pack from XBLA as it went on sale again.

But the multiplayer. I tried it once, and I found it just wretchedly horrible. Now either I was doing it wrong, or it really does just suck hairy balls. Obviously it benefits me more if you can just tell me that I wasn't getting into it the right way. I remember spawning (eventually) into a place where I just got shot repeatedly by pubbies who had no interest in anything other than running and gunning, which the game engine isn't designed for. Then I tried some shootout thing and they all seemed to have awesome weapons while I had only a shotgun I stumbled across.

Despite spending a frustrating hour at it, I'm willing to go back in with an open mind and try and find the good times. If there are good times to be had. What would you guys recommend I do to start? Is there a right way to do RDR multi? Thanks in advance.

The proper way to do RDR multi is to stop playing with pubbies and start playing with goons.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Crappy Jack posted:

The proper way to do RDR multi is to stop playing with pubbies and start playing with goons.

Well that's the correct first step in any game. But beyond that I'm still a bit lost.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

To be honest, I think the multiplayer sucks. There just isn't really much to do other than gang hideouts

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

blackguy32 posted:

To be honest, I think the multiplayer sucks. There just isn't really much to do other than gang hideouts

Rolling around in the stagecoach full of goons and griefing the entire lobby was always fun :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Scarf posted:

Rolling around in the stagecoach full of goons and griefing the entire lobby was always fun :)

Speaking of your Avatar,I think the most fun I have had is playing cougar survival with knives up in tall trees near that cabin with other people.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

blackguy32 posted:

Speaking of your Avatar,I think the most fun I have had is playing cougar survival with knives up in tall trees near that cabin with other people.

Even though I don't play anymore... I will say that sort of stuff had me on the edge of my seat/adrenaline going more than any other game to date.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Play Hardcore. You only appear on radar if you're riding, sprinting or shooting. Just toss dynamite at people doing gang hideouts and hide in the brush when they come looking. It's a lot more fun than it sounds.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

fennesz posted:

Play Hardcore. You only appear on radar if you're riding, sprinting or shooting. Just toss dynamite at people doing gang hideouts and hide in the brush when they come looking. It's a lot more fun than it sounds.

Now that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. If I can't get any fun any other way, then I'll definitely get some yuks with this. Sounds like a good way to induce tears.

It really doesn't help that when starting up multiplayer for the first time there were what seemed like a million different options to choose from, none of which were explained. I honestly didn't know what the difference between hardcore and the others was.

Seriously, should I be choosing a free roam, jumping straight into a gunfight? Maybe I'm being thick about it but it really doesn't seem intuitive at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Now that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. If I can't get any fun any other way, then I'll definitely get some yuks with this. Sounds like a good way to induce tears.

It really doesn't help that when starting up multiplayer for the first time there were what seemed like a million different options to choose from, none of which were explained. I honestly didn't know what the difference between hardcore and the others was.

Seriously, should I be choosing a free roam, jumping straight into a gunfight? Maybe I'm being thick about it but it really doesn't seem intuitive at all.

Hardcore gets rid of auto aim and you dont show up on the map unless you are doing certain things. Normal has auto aim and you show up on the map at all times. Friendly has no PvP, but that doesn't mean you can't grief people by trampling them over and over again!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Hardcore gets rid of auto aim and you dont show up on the map unless you are doing certain things. Normal has auto aim and you show up on the map at all times. Friendly has no PvP, but that doesn't mean you can't grief people by trampling them over and over again!

I think Dynamite still works in Friendly too. It's possible they patched that out though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm still playing Red Dead Redemption, my XBL name is PopeCorkytheIX

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I just beat it for the first time. Unfortunately my experience suffered from people being hinty jerks where they're like "Ohhh you're not gonna BELIEVE the ending!!" or "You're gonna be pissed!" so I pretty much figured John was gonna die.

drat though John. You had 20 sticks of dynamite man! Throw the dynamite through the hole in the door!

It's lame man! Games make you an unstoppable killing machine capable of killing not only everyone in the United States army but also the United States and then they shove you into a cutscene where you get capped like an idiot.

I was hoping the moral dilemma at the end would be something along the lines of GTA4. Specifically, "Save Niles West Dickens" or "Save Everyone Else." Anyone who wouldn't go with the former is an idiot.

This game's been out for forever but aight.

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 20, 2011

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hey. Spoiler that poo poo.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm really enjoying Undead Nightmare so far. Healthy sense of self-parody, and it's like the entire thing is one long apology written specifically to address the annoyances I had with the main story. It's taking all the irritating minor characters that I found loathsome and is feeding them to zombies.

Totally worth every penny. Good times.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

That DICK! posted:

I just beat it for the first time. Unfortunately my experience suffered from people being hinty jerks where they're like "Ohhh you're not gonna BELIEVE the ending!!" or "You're gonna be pissed!" so I pretty much figured John was gonna die.

drat though John. You had 20 sticks of dynamite man! Throw the dynamite through the hole in the door!

It's lame man! Games make you an unstoppable killing machine capable of killing not only everyone in the United States army but also the United States and then they shove you into a cutscene where you get capped like an idiot.

I was hoping the moral dilemma at the end would be something along the lines of GTA4. Specifically, "Save Niles West Dickens" or "Save Everyone Else." Anyone who wouldn't go with the former is an idiot.

This game's been out for forever but aight.

Ending spoilers:

John COULD have taken them all out, but he knew that Ross and the other Federal goons wouldn't ever give his family peace, so he sacrificed himself for his families sake.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So I'm thinking I'll do another game with the minimap disabled, apparently that's pretty cool. Anything else that can make the game better a second time around? I turned off auto-aim early on in my first game, that poo poo is for pussies.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

No ressurecting horses! It's pretty cool to get into a gun fight, fall off a cliff with your horse then stumble through the vegatation looking for a wild horse to break or a passerby to horse-jack.
Honestly I think the whole unlimited horses thing was a pretty stupid decision.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kly posted:

No ressurecting horses! It's pretty cool to get into a gun fight, fall off a cliff with your horse then stumble through the vegatation looking for a wild horse to break or a passerby to horse-jack.

It'd be worse if horses were rare, especially when you're out in the wilderness.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kly posted:

You know, just because there are unlimited horses, doesn't mean you have to use unlimited horses.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So has any more information been released about the supposed DLC Rockstar mentioned at E3? They were pretty vague when they made the announcement, and I haven't heard anything since.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I just picked up the game last week and beat it today. God drat was that game amazing. Its been a while since I enjoyed a story that much.

I just wish I had known John was going to die. I would have much rather roamed around getting all the legend of the west poo poo as john rather than jack. But drat that was one hell of a game.

I figured during one of the hunting missions that John would come back and the ranch would be on fire or some poo poo, I had no idea it would unfold the way it did.

Oh and I think I enjoyed Deadman's Gun, the song that plays during the credits, more than Far Away. I literally just stared at my TV for a good 5 minutes after I beat that sucker. So epic.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 23, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PSA for newcomers to the game: There's a new stranger mission after you complete the story.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Jovial Cow posted:

Oh and I think I enjoyed Deadman's Gun, the song that plays during the credits, more than Far Away.

Heresy. Abominaaation.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
So I have the main game, and bought the Undead Nightmare package of DLC. My mate, who sold his main game disc, just got Undead Nightmare disc version. Does that include all the multiplayer? We'd like to have a bit of a pootle around online together, I'm just wondering if we'll be limited too much.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just have two quick questions because I just started undead nightmare and it's hard to avoid spoilers: is there any time sensitive reason to clear out a town, like if Blackwater is under attack and I don't give a poo poo because there's nothing important there right now? and #2, is there any actual reason to give the survivors my ammo?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pees With Boner posted:

I just have two quick questions because I just started undead nightmare and it's hard to avoid spoilers: is there any time sensitive reason to clear out a town, like if Blackwater is under attack and I don't give a poo poo because there's nothing important there right now? and #2, is there any actual reason to give the survivors my ammo?

You can leave the whole world to rot if you want, but it'll be harder to clear them out, and clearing towns out is how you get new weapons.

Giving the survivors ammo will instantly fill up one bubble on the meter; shooting zombies will do the same thing, but it'll take longer and use up more ammo, basically.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks, that makes sense. I keep forgetting how much I loving love this game, this flaming horse is bomb diggity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

A couple of days ago I was hit by a huge urge to replay RDR again. Pity I'll be away from my 360 for the next few weeks. :(

How is the multiplayer faring? I was playing GTA's with some friends before I left, it seems to be still good. Is RDR the same or is it a ghost town?

• Locked thread