Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

bull3964 posted:

I doubt it will have 4G and I bet it doesn't show up till around thanksgiving on Verizon where it will be nothing special by that point.

Really, aside from the screen, I can't think of a compelling reason to get a GSII over the Bionic anyways. The new blur is so much better than touchwiz and Moto actually seems to know what they are doing with CDMA devices (unlike Samsung.)

If it shows up around Thanksgiving, I would assume it'd been retooled to fit an LTE radio in it. If not, for shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Has it been confirmed that the Bionic is using the same pentile screen as the Droid 3 and X2? I've gotten to play with a coworkers 3, and I find the screen to be awful (I can see pixels) compared to the Inc2/Charge. I think even my original Incredible looks nicer.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Rye Bread posted:

Has it been confirmed that the Bionic is using the same pentile screen as the Droid 3 and X2? I've gotten to play with a coworkers 3, and I find the screen to be awful (I can see pixels) compared to the Inc2/Charge. I think even my original Incredible looks nicer.

Nothing has been confirmed but I imagine it will.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kyrosiris posted:

Hrm, seems to be 404-ing.

Someone must have gotten mad over the leak.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/21/droid-bionic-official-car-mount-and-dock-possibly-make-appearances-on-amazon/

Those are the images.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is one slick-looking device. As long as it's not $300, I think I know where my money's going next week (assuming there's a week-early direct fill).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Oh snap!

My Droid X2 shipped. It's two day shipping but tonight I'm going to dream about it getting here tomorrow. It's only coming from Dallas :) (I'm in Houston)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

That is one slick-looking device. As long as it's not $300, I think I know where my money's going next week (assuming there's a week-early direct fill).

I think it's pretty certain to be $299 on contract based on past history.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Way to crap on my parade :smith:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Really, aside from the screen, I can't think of a compelling reason to get a GSII over the Bionic anyways. The new blur is so much better than touchwiz and Moto actually seems to know what they are doing with CDMA devices (unlike Samsung.)

While the screen alone is probably enough for a lot of people, the GSII's unlocked bootloader and at least semi-encouraging signs of dev community support from Samsung (see: free phones for CM team) are a stark contrast to Motorola's "Go buy another phone if you want ROMs" attitude.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

While the screen alone is probably enough for a lot of people, the GSII's unlocked bootloader and at least semi-encouraging signs of dev community support from Samsung (see: free phones for CM team) are a stark contrast to Motorola's "Go buy another phone if you want ROMs" attitude.

A Verizon GSII is going to be a bastard child due to the CDMA radio and doubly so if it has an LTE radio in it. You cannot look at the current dev support and infer that it will be as good for Verizon. Also, there are pretty compelling indicators that US bound GSIIs will be tegra 2 rather than Samsung's processor, so gently caress that noise.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A Verizon GSII is going to be a bastard child due to the CDMA radio and doubly so if it has an LTE radio in it. You cannot look at the current dev support and infer that it will be as good for Verizon. Also, there are pretty compelling indicators that US bound GSIIs will be tegra 2 rather than Samsung's processor, so gently caress that noise.

Ugh, hadn't heard about that last bit. Definitely would turn me off on the phone.

As for the dev support, of course it wouldn't automatically translate to a Verizon GSII, but Samsung's interest in the dev community is an encouraging sign. Someone (ExcessBlarg maybe?) posted in one of these threads about how the main problem with the original GS line was the piss-poor source control practices, leading to a complete inability to port bugfixes across the various devices. Add in the use of userspace binary drivers, and you get the mess we had over here in the US. Since the latter seems to have been cleared up with the GSII, it's not unreasonable to imagine that they could have made strides in the former as well. (And of course, ExcessBlarg, any corrections/clarifications to my tortured understanding of the situation would be highly welcome!)

Sure, they could still screw up a Verizon GSII in all sorts of ways, but it's worth at least seeing how things turn out.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

So it looks like it's official policy now for Tier2 support to offer you a different phone if you're experiencing missed calls/VMs with no ring on your Fascinate.

I've been seeing this randomly, so I went ahead and took advantage of it. My Charge will be here on Monday.

Since I spend most of my time between the Ann Arbor and Flint areas, it will be nice, since LTE is turned on (speed tests run between 10-22Mbit from what I've seen) in both.

The options on offer are: Charge, Incredible2, and X2.

Edit: If you're thinking of doing this, do it quickly. Samsung has promised a fix at the end of this month, and if they DO manage to get it out the door (yeah, right. I've heard the "We've got an update coming soon that will fix this" line before), then the offer will be pulled (until it's shown that the problem still persists).

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and did this too. I also got the charge, but I'm considering trading it for an Iphone, would this be a good idea, considering the fact I just want a smaller phone with more battery life?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ReptilePicasso posted:

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and did this too. I also got the charge, but I'm considering trading it for an Iphone, would this be a good idea, considering the fact I just want a smaller phone with more battery life?

What do you mean trade it for an iPhone? Like take it back to a Verizon store? Or were you offered an iPhone?

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Codiusprime posted:

What do you mean trade it for an iPhone? Like take it back to a Verizon store? Or were you offered an iPhone?

Well, I'm trying to find one at the moment. It's a replacement so I wouldn't be able to take it back to the Verizon store.

Also, if it matters, I'm due for an update this December, so I think I would be satisfied with the Droid Charge or the Iphone, as long as it lasts until then.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ReptilePicasso posted:

Well, I'm trying to find one at the moment. It's a replacement so I wouldn't be able to take it back to the Verizon store.

Also, if it matters, I'm due for an update this December, so I think I would be satisfied with the Droid Charge or the Iphone, as long as it lasts until then.

Gotcha, you basically had the same thought I did then (minus the iPhone). Yea, getting the X2 probably won't affect when I upgrade.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Really, aside from the screen, I can't think of a compelling reason to get a GSII over the Bionic anyways. The new blur is so much better than touchwiz and Moto actually seems to know what they are doing with CDMA devices (unlike Samsung.
Who actually puts up with Blur and TouchWiz? You're basically advising folks to buy the house where the kitchen floor is "only" covered in vomit instead of the superior house where the floor's covered in diarrhea. I'll take option B and a bucket of bleach, please. Even the brand-babby-new Droid Charge already has an easy way to run the stock ROM with TouchWiz almost entirely removed and AOSP UI elements subbed in thanks to the unlocked bootloader.

I think that in the post-"good enough" performance world (e.g. all devices Nexus One and better) it's shortsighted not to apply more weight to other factors of a device. The PenTile TFTs on Moto's latest line of phones are some of the fugliest shitpiles we've seen on smartphones in recent years, while the S-AMOLED+'s on the Droid Charge and SGS II are irrefutably the nicest displays on pocketable devices today. That counts for a whole hell of a lot, even if the Moto phones were (hypothetically) running circles around the Samsungs in performance -- which they're just not.

People jumping on any of Motorola's recent devices because "lol dual core omg??" in spite of the mountain of horseshit associated with the devices are a problem for the whole market. The longer they're rewarded for churning this crap out, the longer the market will suffer through things like PenTile TFT, wishy-washy bootloader policies, and Moto loving Blur.

kbar fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 23, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I love how you say that last part and completely ignore all the CDMA Samsung poo poo. Pretty adorable how short your memory is. But keep telling us how awesome Samsung is, as they are just now replacing Fascinates (with completely different phones) because of a massive bug that they've known about for months.

I'm not saying the SGSII is going to suck, but they haven't proven to us that they can make a phone for CDMA any more than Motorola has proven that they are going to unlock their bootloaders. So really I don't see why you're rushing to their defense. I hope the SGSII comes to Verizon in a reasonable time and not hosed up but anyone assuming it will has a laughably short memory.

Edit: Disclaimer, I friggan love my Fascinate right now but that's only because of the hardwork of a few devs. Hopefully the SGSII is as awesome from the time it's released.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 23, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kalibar posted:

Who actually puts up with Blur and TouchWiz? You're basically advising folks to buy the house where the kitchen floor is "only" covered in vomit instead of the superior house where the floor's covered in diarrhea. I'll take option B and a bucket of bleach, please. Even the brand-babby-new Droid Charge already has an easy way to run the stock ROM with TouchWiz almost entirely removed and AOSP UI elements subbed in thanks to the unlocked bootloader.

I think that in the post-"good enough" performance world (e.g. all devices Nexus One and better) it's shortsighted not to apply more weight to other factors of a device. The PenTile TFTs on Moto's latest line of phones are some of the fugliest shitpiles we've seen on smartphones in recent years, while the S-AMOLED+'s on the Droid Charge and SGS II are irrefutably the nicest displays on pocketable devices today. That counts for a whole hell of a lot, even if the Moto phones were (hypothetically) running circles around the Samsungs in performance -- which they're just not.

People jumping on any of Motorola's recent devices because "lol dual core omg??" in spite of the mountain of horseshit associated with the devices are a problem for the whole market. The longer they're rewarded for churning this crap out, the longer the market will suffer through things like PenTile TFT, wishy-washy bootloader policies, and Moto loving Blur.

Please continue to wait for a competent Samsung device to show up on Verizon then. Hopefully you'll be able to be able to buy a phone this year.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

Sure, they could still screw up a Verizon GSII in all sorts of ways, but it's worth at least seeing how things turn out.
I think the short answer is this:

A Verizon SGSII is going to be the Droid Charge's baseband/radio tech combined with the international SGSII's processor (except Tegra2?), storage, and OS stack. So if Samsung and/or the community provide "good enough" support for the Charge at the time of the SGSII release, I'd expect it to be equal or better.

But if the situation with the Charge still isn't figured out by then, depending on what the roadblocks are (usually radio & peripheral related), I wouldn't expect a lot more out of a Verizon SGSII.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
All this mystery around the Bionic is stupid and I hate it.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Scipiotik posted:

All this mystery around the Bionic is stupid and I hate it.

Motorola really hosed early adopters of the Xoom as well. I bought one for many reasons, but the number one reasons was for the LTE upgrade. Now there's talk about a Xoom 2. I played with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 today and couldn't help but feel bitterness towards Motorola.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kstatix posted:

Motorola really hosed early adopters of the Xoom as well. I bought one for many reasons, but the number one reasons was for the LTE upgrade. Now there's talk about a Xoom 2. I played with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 today and couldn't help but feel bitterness towards Motorola.

Everyone knew there would be a xoom 2 though...it was almost a given.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I heard there will a xoom 3 also. Shh...

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
There's a stub page for the Droid Bionic that's buried in the depths of Motorola's website. The page appears to point to some false placeholder assets until the website can get properly updated.

http://www.motorola.com/consumers/US-EN/DROID-BIONIC-US-EN.do?vgnextoid=6fc4227138bec210VgnVCM10000081bbb00aRCRD&pubid=987654

Also, http://droiddoes.com/bionic used to just redirect to the main droiddoes.com page. Now it just sits at "No input file specified" as if something is going to pop in there very soon.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, but most people were counting on the LTE upgrade and full SD card support to show up before the Xoom 2.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I feel like an idiot for posting this because it's probably been covered before. I wanted to know what you are all doing about it though. I never even noticed/thought about it.

Using your Google Voice number exclusively basically destroys Mobile-to-Mobile. Am I right in saying that? If I make a call from my GV number to another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. If someone calls my GV number from another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. It looks like the only way to still 'use' Mobile-to-Mobile is if the other person calls my Verizon number.

I only have 700 minutes a month. I want to be able to take advantage of Mobile-to-Mobile, but I don't want to have to tell people to only call my VZW number and to only text my GV number. Is there anything we do to circumvent this or has this been general knowledge that we have to put up with and I'm really slow in figuring it out?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Does VZ still have the Fave 5 thing or whatever it was called for like $5? That's probably the only way to do it if they still have that option.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

yamdankee posted:

I feel like an idiot for posting this because it's probably been covered before. I wanted to know what you are all doing about it though. I never even noticed/thought about it.

Using your Google Voice number exclusively basically destroys Mobile-to-Mobile. Am I right in saying that? If I make a call from my GV number to another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. If someone calls my GV number from another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. It looks like the only way to still 'use' Mobile-to-Mobile is if the other person calls my Verizon number.

I only have 700 minutes a month. I want to be able to take advantage of Mobile-to-Mobile, but I don't want to have to tell people to only call my VZW number and to only text my GV number. Is there anything we do to circumvent this or has this been general knowledge that we have to put up with and I'm really slow in figuring it out?

If you have a high enough plan, you can set up to 10 numbers (regardless of technology or network) that you can call for free at all times. If you set your GVoice number to that, then any calls routed to you from there will count as free.

If the person you're trying to talk to is on Verizon, it's pretty irrelevant, unless you have no texting plan at all, in which case GVoice would be nice.

I don't know if you're going to be able to make everything play quite as nice as you would like, though.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

There's a retentions plan to get F&F onto a 700 minute family plan -- I've been trying real hard to get them to give me that, but with no luck.

F&F + GV Callback = unlimited free minutes. You can even schedule it with Tasker so that it's only enabled during peak hours.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just keep an eye out on places like Howard Forums and learn about any trial plans they offer, I was able to get unlimited minutes for any cell(any provider) calling for cheaper than my 3000 minute plan which saved a total of $100 a month on the bill. The promotion was expired by a month too and they still gave it to me. You just have to be polite as hell and not insist on anything

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What's the next upcoming Android super phone on Verizon? My brother asked me to recommend him a phone (I'm on Sprint) but it doesn't seem like there are phones that are both LTE and dual core yet.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

blargle posted:

What's the next upcoming Android super phone on Verizon? My brother asked me to recommend him a phone (I'm on Sprint) but it doesn't seem like there are phones that are both LTE and dual core yet.

Bionic is the supposed next superphone. It is either coming out next week or eventually. Either way, if he can wait, that would be the phone if he wants dual core and LTE.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

kalibar posted:

F&F + GV Callback = unlimited free minutes. You can even schedule it with Tasker so that it's only enabled during peak hours.
Can you please explain how this works?

I have F&F numbers available at my disposal but I don't really understand what I'm meant to do. I have been using Google Voice without making any changes to my plan up until now.

When I call using GV it says "Calling via Google Voice" and then some number from an area code I don't recognize. This number changes periodically. (at the moment it's 617, which is apparently in Boston)

I always assumed this was the GV routing number, but since it keeps changing, how can I use it as my F&F number? Maybe I'm just not understanding this...

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Install "GV Callback" from Android Market and set your GV# to one of your free numbers. The app should be pretty self explanatory. Oldest trick in the (relatively young) GV book.

The routing numbers that the official GV app uses are great for connecting a call quickly but they screw you over on mobile-to-mobile and on F&F-style plans because they can change.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm intrigued, but I don't know how I'm going to get myself on a F&F plan. How could I possibly go about asking for this? And if I did manage to get them to add F&F to my plan, would this rope me in to tiered data somehow?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

yamdankee posted:

I'm intrigued, but I don't know how I'm going to get myself on a F&F plan. How could I possibly go about asking for this?
It's automatic for any plan that's not the lowest minute tier.

quote:

And if I did manage to get them to add F&F to my plan, would this rope me in to tiered data somehow?
Shouldn't if all you're doing is keeping the same plan but switching minute tiers.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
As an aside, if you want unlimited data still, the old bundled voice+data/messaging plans are still available. They're listed as business plans, but I'm pretty sure they can be put on consumer accounts. Used to be able to, at least.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No Bionic until September?

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/07/26/motorola-droid-bionic-september-launch-gathers-more-steam/

:sigh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We still really don't know at this point.

I also still think that people who are expecting the SGSII to be 4G are going to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
What are the odds that the new Nexus phone comes to Verizon?

• Locked thread