Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Griefer is more of a slang term though, hardly needs proper grammar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Griever is already a noun for a grieving person though.

It's far more likely that people are just way more familiar with grief as opposed to grieve, although griever does sound like some sort of bad-rear end sword or something, so there is that.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
"Grieving" sounds like someone sad over someone else's death. You know, like a grieving widow.

Griefing is just griefer turned into a verb.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

I thought he was saying his brother was 6'7" tall, 250lbs.

Listening to it now, yeah. He is. (And you don't want to see him)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Griefer as a word makes sense, as it is a person causing grief (in an online video game). "Greifing" just evolved out of griefer, and just means to cause grief, particularly in an online video game related setting.

GoodAaron
Nov 12, 2006

I hold the Guinness World's Record for Most T-Shirts Worn at Once by a Human.
In case you guys are interested, I recently discovered that a professor at my university recently published a scientific study about Something Awful goons and their griefing habits in Second Life. They suggested I let this thread know about it, so I am.

I made a thread where you can read about it here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425290

If anyone has any old tales from the Second Life Safari days of SA griefing in Second Life, I'm sure they would be most welcome there!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

GoodAaron posted:

In case you guys are interested, I recently discovered that a professor at my university recently published a scientific study about Something Awful goons and their griefing habits in Second Life. They suggested I let this thread know about it, so I am.

I made a thread where you can read about it here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425290

If anyone has any old tales from the Second Life Safari days of SA griefing in Second Life, I'm sure they would be most welcome there!

Reading this article led me to the video of Anshe Chung and the flying penis grief in Second Life. This, in turn led me to a video of Garry Kasparov being griefed in real life with a flying penis. I know that real-life griefing is a tricky topic in this thread because more often than not it falls well outside the definition of griefing as it's portrayed in the thread and instead is better described as assault, vandalism, etc. In this case, however, it seems like a genuine video game grief that has been brought to the real of real life and therefore I want to share it in case there's anyone here who has not experienced this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_-Gf9rXhE

NWS for a flying penis.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

Hungryjack posted:

NWS for a flying penis.

It's pretty much my dream for every post on Something Awful to contain this warning.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
:eng101:

As a certified English Degree Smartypants(TM) I can say that "Griever" is incorrect, as it describes someone who is grieving for something, and the actions in question cause the perpetrator mirth more often than not. Griefing, however, hearkens back to the phrase "to give someone grief over something", in which case the subject is doing something to another, that would entail the grief-giving. While it is true that "Griefing" and "Griefer" are not in fact words you'd find in the OED, like many pieces of industry-related jargon (However flimsy an occupation "Gamer" might be, granted) it is nonetheless an accepted and clearly understood term that succinctly and accurately describes a certain behavior and/or one who perpetrates such behaviors.

Put simply, there's no reason to try and make the bastard term conform to established grammar rules because it's already doing the job it's supposed to as it is.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
My university is offering a GA position in the College of Human Resources and Education where you gently caress around in Second Life. Go figure. I should dump my current GTA position for this and script dicks and furry sex all day for cash money.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 20, 2011

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

joshtothemaxx posted:

My university is offering a GA position in the College of Human Resources and Education where you gently caress around in Second Life. Go figure. I should dump my current GTA position for this and script dicks and furry sex all day for cash money.

It's like you're griefing the act of earning a wage :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

joshtothemaxx posted:

I cant imagine what they actually plan to do there

"So what are you working on now?"
"Anatomically correct fur-suits for cyber-sexers"
"Keep up the good work!"

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
My SS13 grief is simple yet beautiful.

At one time when you spawned as a clown you'd have a banana and a bike horn, eat the banana and you've got a banana peel.

Stepping on a banana peel would make you slip over and if you weren't wearing helmet bang your head.

People were pretty good at spotting banana peels on the floor and would dodge them. However if you dropped a banana peel then say, a backpack, on top of it they wouldn't see the peel.

I'd simply drop the peel, a backpack and then hide in a nearby locker or trashcan. Some dude would come hurtling by and slip, cracking his skull on the cold metal floor. As they recovered from the blow to the head they'd see me Alfrado Noodal Clown Extraordinaire emerge from my hiding place, honk my horn, grab my banana peel and backpack and run off occasionally tripping on my big clown shoes.

I called the trick "The Prestige"

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Tonight, myself and a couple of other goons were playing League of Legends, a DOTA clone that's free to play. The map, Summoner's Rift, has 3 lanes - Top, Mid, and Bottom - with jungle between the lanes. In this jungle, there are neutral monsters that give good XP, or buffs to the killer. There are also two 'boss' monsters - the Dragon, and Baron Nashor.

Generally, people who level primarily in the jungle are known as Junglers, and there's just one per team, as there really isn't enough XP and gold to level more than that properly. You can usually tell who they are, as they take the Smite spell, which only does damage to monsters, not enemies. We all had Smite and some other terribly useless spell.

One other thing to note: You can't surrender a game until 20 minutes have passed, and it takes 4 votes to surrender.

Usually,the players set up in a 2 - 1 - 2 laning setup, unless there is a jungler. But not us! We decided to run 3 junglers, and let the 2 random pubbies who joined us go whereever they wanted.

So the game begins, and our team starts, slowly, to lose the game. The other team starts to wonder why we have so many junglers, and our teammates are cursing at us for not being in lane. About 15 minutes in, we start claiming we're only here to kill the dragon. None of us attack the enemy team, and we just continue to jungle, and try to kill the dragon. At this point, our two allies are raging at us, and the other team is confused as hell, since they're basically being ignored.

At about 19 minutes, the three of us have FINALLY managed to kill the dragon - two of us dying in the process, and I only had a sliver of life left. But we'd done it!
We claimed "Our work here is done! You are now free of the tyranny of this vile lizard!" and surrendered. Or tried to. See, since it takes 4 people to surrender, it needed one of our pubbies to surrender too, but they didn't. :( They were raging so bad at us they just hit "no". Not that it mattered, the enemy team managed to win about 30 seconds later.

The best part was one of the enemy team members going along with it, and thanking us for our hard work in protecting the realm! :v:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

frogbert posted:

My SS13 grief is simple yet beautiful.
How did you miss this on the previous page?

Angry Diplomat posted:

If a banana peel is left on the floor, anyone who steps on it will slip and fall down. There used to be a Clown job, which started with a banana and was mostly responsible for playing pranks, telling jokes, raising spirits, and getting brutally murdered by the psychotic crew. When my brother first started playing SS13, he chose Clown and spent the entire round slipping people with his banana peel, farting in their faces while they lay stunned, and then peeling out of there like a brightly coloured human rally car while furiously honking his bike horn. He did this so much and so competently that several people were actively trying to murder him, which of course led to more slipping, farting, and honking before he'd lie low in a locker somewhere until they gave up the search.

One particular victim seemed to have terrible luck, as he ran afoul of my brother over, and over, and over again through no apparent fault of his own. He must have spent a third of the round lying on the floor with fart in his face and a cheery HONK HONK HONK ringing in his ears. After pratfalling for the fourteenth or fifteenth time, he impotently screamed, "CLOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!" at his retreating assailant. This had no effect, aside from causing my brother to laugh so hard that it brought him to tears.

That victim was THE OVERWASP, one of the game's administrators. :stare:

Rather than get angry, THE OVERWASP saw the humour in my brother's clowny antics. He telepathically instructed him to stand next to his banana peel for a moment, then implanted the clown's consciousness into the peel itself, giving my brother the ability to move it around directly.

As it turns out, a player-controlled banana peel is nothing short of apocalyptic in the right hands. The station rapidly descended into anarchy as police chases became Keystone Kopps fiascoes, Janitors were left facedown in their own suds, and panicking assistants fled shrieking from the demonically-possessed banana peel before it sent them tumbling facefirst into vending machines. In a desperate bid to restore order, one of the heads of staff seized the unholy fruit rind in his hand and stuffed it in his pocket. Striding triumphantly to the airlock to space the offending item, he met his doom when it leaped out of his pocket and slipped him, causing him to careen into the open void and be lost forever.

The escape shuttle was called, and the crew fled in terror, abandoning the station to its new master: the Doom Peel.

SS13 sounds absolutely hilarious, but I can never put enough effort in to actually play it. I just get bored and load up TTT instead.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Supreme Court posted:

How did you miss this on the previous page?

SS13 sounds absolutely hilarious, but I can never put enough effort in to actually play it. I just get bored and load up TTT instead.

It is hilarious, but the learning curve is about as steep as Dwarf Fortress', yeah. Once you get the hang of it, keep an open mind- poo poo is liable to change on a whim with coders coming and going. The best rounds are the ones when the Admins get bored and start handing out Traitor objetives or spawning and controlling malicious Singularities. Grab a space suit and jetpack, play the Silver Surfer to an admin's station-eating Galactus!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

When I play ai I go by the name THE OVERSMUG

the first time I did it was back on vagina station (it was vagina shaped, hence security to east ovary) anyway the admins saw humor in that and my core was transformed into a :smug:. then a syndicate threw a bomb... way below my core, it detonated and I immediately called in my cyborgs. A merry game insued of syndicates throwing bombs to try to make a breach so they could kill me, and my robotic minions dragging the bombs into space in acts of heroics while I taunted the syndicates from my secured core. They got so angry at being unable to kill me that they failed to notice I had called the shuttle until it was too late. they finally breached me using welders but it was about on the depature timer at that point, so I turned my turrets to lethal and told them "Deal with it :smug:"

Also since I was an adminfuckery ai, I decided to break the laws and commanded my borgs to get to murdering. There is just something satisfying about seeing a spider drone bot chasing a red spaceman around with a bloody fire extinguisher while another is trying to drag a bomb under him.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 21, 2011

SMP
May 5, 2009

This will forever remain my crowning moment in SS13.

With the help of a changeling who could only kill security I managed to fend off an overzealous AI and the entire security force.

Pointe
Jul 25, 2010

V-W-P
I fell for the hype of Age of Conan and preordered it, it was going to be the best MMORPG with the best tits! However it turned out to be a really mediocre and grindy game, to make things worse I chose EN_Aquilonia, a PVP-RP server.

The roleplay community was terrible, filled with the sort that believed they knew exactly what was wrong with the game and how it should be fixed because they had played WoW for 5 years and were in the AoC beta. If you weren't playing the game their way, you were playing it wrong and should go back to counter strike.

After going to a PVP area and killing questers for a while I got bitched out on the official forums for killing without a good in-character reason and my clan kicked me as a greifer. So I created a Stygian Freddie Mercury lookalike called Farrokh (Fred's real name) and joined SCUM, the most hated PVP/greifing guild on the server. This actually made things fun, trying to collect 20 scorpion poison sacs when every other player in the area wants to kill you is a real challenge.

The noble district was my favorite area for screwing around because it had two interesting tricks. First was a bridge between the starting area and a fortress with quest NPC's.

To make the fort look active and allow players to read quest text in a PVP area, 3 NPC guards were stationed at each end of the bridge. Guards were much higher level than the zone average and would run out and kill any player who tried to attack another player. However guards had a vision range and there was a sweet spot of a few feet in the middle of the bridge that guards couldn't see.

So I would stand completely naked on the middle of the bridge, shout insults and punch everyone passing by. Most players would see either an easy target they had a reason to kill or be in a guild that had orders to kill any SCUM on sight. I would see them pull out a sword, start casting or notching an arrow and take a step back to let the guards see me get hit. 6 guards would then rush the bridge and instakill them.

The longer I could stay alive the more people the guards would mow down, players would call in guild backup or go to the nearby main city to broadcast that I was greifing on the bridge, so corpses would keep falling around me and my guard army until I got overwhelmed or a max level player one-shotted me.

The other trick was you could get on top of the fortress walls by pixel-perfect jumping from the pillar area to a slanted roof to the left of the fort.

From the ramparts I could snipe people taking quests and only targeted spells would be able to hit me, guards couldn't get up and barely anyone knew it was reachable, netting me a lot of hate PMs about hacking. The level modelling was also half-assed in that each corner of the fort had a jail cell and the ramparts had stairs leading down into them, but players would clip through the stairs and be stuck in the cell until they got killed or a GM helped them out.

After the bridge trick I would go there so I could still get kills despite having lots of players after me, someone must have saw how I got up because I got hit for nearly all my health by an arrow, looked round and saw 4 high level players charging me. I ran over to the jail stairs, behind a corner and used the hide skill to turn invisible, the players assumed I went down the stairs and fell down into the cell.

I jumped down into the courtyard to taunt them from the other side of the bars, telling them they were where they belong and offering to kill them for a hefty fee so they could respawn outside. One of their friends snuck up behind me to finish me off, but the jail guards valiantly defended me!

A fun bonus of the preorder was a wooly mammoth mount, it was slow, weak and you would get knocked off after one hit so kind of worthless. I got hours of enjoyment out of going to the low level areas, finding a group that had probably spent the last hour killing rats and charging into them, making sure not to kill and chasing as they fled back to the safe areas in terror.

I was more interested in screwing around than grinding, eventually all the players outgrew the quest area and I couldn't go anywhere without getting jumped by players 40 levels higher. So I traded a Chinese gold farmer all my money and unsubbed in the second month, content I got my moneys worth out of a terrible game.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
If you're like me (a nerd with no life who loves watching Counter-Strike griefing videos) then you might be dismayed to find that z0mby (of Goron City fame) has recently had his YouTube account closed.

Well not to worry, my lovelies. He's got a new one here: http://www.youtube.com/user/GoronCityEnterprises

He's only got three videos up so far, but what's important is he uploaded High School Dropout Deathmatch

Rixen fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 23, 2011

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009

SMP posted:

This will forever remain my crowning moment in SS13.

With the help of a changeling who could only kill security I managed to fend off an overzealous AI and the entire security force.
I remember that (I was the changeling) and it was hard not to kill everyone because I could never explain I was here to protect people from security.If it wasn't for toxic spit being so powerful you probably would of had me with your radbow.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Rixen posted:

If you're like me (a nerd with no life who loves watching Counter-Strike griefing videos) then you might be dismayed to find that z0mby (of Goron City fame) has recently had his YouTube account closed.

Well not to worry, my lovelies. He's got a new one here: http://www.youtube.com/user/GoronCityEnterprises

He's only got three videos up so far, but what's important is he uploaded High School Dropout Deathmatch

I can't help but feel bad for this kid. :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

CombatWombat posted:

Oh god. This is heartbreaking. Poor kid. He sounds like he's 7 or 8 at most :(

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

CombatWombat posted:

RIP Ryan "freedomwas" Peanut. May you be safe from griefers in heaven.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CombatWombat posted:

Ahaha holy poo poo

I can't even imagine how confused his grandpa was at the situation

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A friend of my co-worker's was actually talking about griefing the other day. A couple different stories about players kiting giant monsters to cities in WoW that would completely crush all the weaklings therein (one actually got STRONGER for killing NPCs so Blizzard had to shut that server down before it snowballed), another instance of some kid of plague, and something about giant crystal guardians attacking a monster.
He also told some story from Everquest(?) about a goon-rush involving ships, does that ring a bell for anyone? Goons kept buying ships for one another and kamikaze-ing into the other team.

EDIT: You're right, it was EVE.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 23, 2011

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

A friend of my co-worker's was actually talking about griefing the other day. A couple different stories about players kiting giant monsters to cities in WoW that would completely crush all the weaklings therein (one actually got STRONGER for killing NPCs so Blizzard had to shut that server down before it snowballed), another instance of some kid of plague, and something about giant crystal guardians attacking a monster.
He also told some story from Everquest(?) about a goon-rush involving ships, does that ring a bell for anyone? Goons kept buying ships for one another and kamikaze-ing into the other team.

I assume you want these stories told because of the vague descriptions?

There's been three big baddies in WoW that cause real trouble when brought to a major city. Kazzak was the first I believe: He had an attack that would hit everyone within 100 yards or something ridiculous, and if it killed you, he got a bunch of health back; add a bunch of low level players and NPCs around him and he became unstoppable.
More recently was some alliance NPC that had another huge area attack that would one-hit kill most players but didn't have any health restoring skill so it was basically zerg it until it died.
The best one though was Jaina Proudmoore. She normally is the leader of a town called Theramore Isle, and one of her main abilities is to teleport a randomly targeted player into the ocean near Theramore Isle. So if you brought her to the main horde city, anyone that attacked her had a chance of being teleported halfway across the continent.

The plague was basically just that, a plague. You got it from some raid boss and it spread to any friendly player or npc near you. Normally intended to just make your team stay spread out. Bring the plague into a city and soon enough every player and npc had it, respawning npcs would get and refresh the plague and I believe it managed to last for days sometimes.

The monster attacked by crystal guardians was an enemy that is invincible and needs to be made vulnerable with a quest item. If you don't use the quest item and instead bring the monster to the main town all the guards there will futilely attack it. The main town (Shattrath) was already a very noisy place with lots of guards sparring and talking to each other but bring in this guy and the place becomes an awful chaotic mess of sound and lag.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about EVE for that last one? I believe it was a thing to kamikaze really small ships into bigger ones since the small ones were so cheap and with enough of them you could destroy a big enough ship which was a huge investment for that player.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sounds like a variant of the classic "traditional games" Trillion Credit Squadron grief. As Malcolm Gladwell described it:

quote:

In 1981, a computer scientist from Stanford University named Doug Lenat entered the Traveller Trillion Credit Squadron tournament, in San Mateo, California. It was a war game. The contestants had been given several volumes of rules, well beforehand, and had been asked to design their own fleet of warships with a mythical budget of a trillion dollars. The fleets then squared off against one another in the course of a weekend. “Imagine this enormous auditorium area with tables, and at each table people are paired off,” Lenat said. “The winners go on and advance. The losers get eliminated, and the field gets smaller and smaller, and the audience gets larger and larger.”

Lenat had developed an artificial-intelligence program that he called Eurisko, and he decided to feed his program the rules of the tournament. Lenat did not give Eurisko any advice or steer the program in any particular strategic direction. He was not a war-gamer. He simply let Eurisko figure things out for itself. For about a month, for ten hours every night on a hundred computers at Xerox parc, in Palo Alto, Eurisko ground away at the problem, until it came out with an answer. Most teams fielded some version of a traditional naval fleet—an array of ships of various sizes, each well defended against enemy attack. Eurisko thought differently. “The program came up with a strategy of spending the trillion on an astronomical number of small ships like P.T. boats, with powerful weapons but absolutely no defense and no mobility,” Lenat said. “They just sat there. Basically, if they were hit once they would sink. And what happened is that the enemy would take its shots, and every one of those shots would sink our ships. But it didn’t matter, because we had so many.” Lenat won the tournament in a runaway.

The next year, Lenat entered once more, only this time the rules had changed. Fleets could no longer just sit there. Now one of the criteria of success in battle was fleet “agility.” Eurisko went back to work. “What Eurisko did was say that if any of our ships got damaged it would sink itself—and that would raise fleet agility back up again,” Lenat said. Eurisko won again.

Eurisko was an underdog. The other gamers were people steeped in military strategy and history. They were the sort who could tell you how Wellington had outfoxed Napoleon at Waterloo, or what exactly happened at Antietam. They had been raised on Dungeons and Dragons. They were insiders. Eurisko, on the other hand, knew nothing but the rule book. It had no common sense. As Lenat points out, a human being understands the meaning of the sentences “Johnny robbed a bank. He is now serving twenty years in prison,” but Eurisko could not, because as a computer it was perfectly literal; it could not fill in the missing step—“Johnny was caught, tried, and convicted.” Eurisko was an outsider. But it was precisely that outsiderness that led to Eurisko’s victory: not knowing the conventions of the game turned out to be an advantage.

“Eurisko was exposing the fact that any finite set of rules is going to be a very incomplete approximation of reality,” Lenat explained. “What the other entrants were doing was filling in the holes in the rules with real-world, realistic answers. But Eurisko didn’t have that kind of preconception, partly because it didn’t know enough about the world.” So it found solutions that were, as Lenat freely admits, “socially horrifying”: send a thousand defenseless and immobile ships into battle; sink your own ships the moment they get damaged.

Key things not mentioned: the Traveller battle rules were scaled to small customizable ships, so a full battle of two trillion credits worth of ships could take days. In order for the tournament to finish in a weekend, each battle was limited to an hour, which was enough time for average competitors, with plenty of big ships, to take maybe three turns each, with winners decided by fewest credits-worth-of-ships lost. But Lenat's teams, recall, had pretty much the maximum number of ships they possibly could. But he still got to move them all, since that's only realistic. :downs:

Another thing not mentioned: the following year, one of the sponsors told Lenat that if he entered and won again, that would be the last year the competition was held.

I have a friend who played in one of these tournaments as a younger grognard, and I have to say, they sound like something of a grief themselves.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Manslaughter posted:

Are you sure he wasn't talking about EVE for that last one? I believe it was a thing to kamikaze really small ships into bigger ones since the small ones were so cheap and with enough of them you could destroy a big enough ship which was a huge investment for that player.

I remember trying EVE out during the recruitment drives several years back. I never got into it, but the jist of the strategy is that 3 or 4 people with crappy ships could tangle an advanced ship up long enough for more powerful people to blow it up.

Ships could be outfitted with devices that would scramble the warp drives and weapons and prevent ships from escaping. So you get a half dozen cheap ships, strip out all the weapons and excess equipment, and load them up with scramblers. Then you pass them out to new players and have them suicidally swarm a bigger ship. A couple players die, but enough get through to lock the enemy down, then more established players would make it there and finish off the stronger ship. This worked because the cheap ships cost less then the drat ammo for the advanced ships, so who cares if most of them get destroyed, just buy (or build) a hundred more.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

FuzzyPickles posted:

I remember trying EVE out during the recruitment drives several years back. I never got into it, but the jist of the strategy is that 3 or 4 people with crappy ships could tangle an advanced ship up long enough for more powerful people to blow it up.

Ships could be outfitted with devices that would scramble the warp drives and weapons and prevent ships from escaping. So you get a half dozen cheap ships, strip out all the weapons and excess equipment, and load them up with scramblers. Then you pass them out to new players and have them suicidally swarm a bigger ship. A couple players die, but enough get through to lock the enemy down, then more established players would make it there and finish off the stronger ship. This worked because the cheap ships cost less then the drat ammo for the advanced ships, so who cares if most of them get destroyed, just buy (or build) a hundred more.

hell, you can run a fleet full of cheaply-fit ships into a larger one and as long as you kill one or two expensive things you're usually more than even in terms of ISK worth of ships killed.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
This is the whole idea behind High Security space Jihad operations. A bunch of goons go out and buy really cheap ships with just enough ammo for one or two volleys, then we cruise around and find something juicy. We countdown and fire, and if the op is a success we've killed the expensive snowflake and had some goon scoop the loot.

Pubbies loving rage.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
And these make GoonFleet one of the most hated alliances in EvE online! :haw:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

One of? Did we lose the top spot? :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
poo poo happened and it no longer exists, if I recall correctly. The guy in charge of keeping it paid for went on vacation withoout, y'know, making sure it would actually be paid for and came back to a disbanded fleet and angry goons. Or was that just the original Goonfleet and it's since been remade and I was never told?

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 24, 2011

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Oh, I know about the Great Sundering, but I thought Goonwaffe was in full swing terrorizing the complacent still?

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

GetWellGamers posted:

One of? Did we lose the top spot? :(

Corp I was in had an Evil twin and Arch rival at the same time, kind of took the top spots from you in our view. You were assholes, and I have been on the recieving end of a cheap-ship blob though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I don't remember if I ever posted this in here before, but I used to play WoW. I really liked the idea of it, of teaming together and taking down something bigger.

Unfortunately, everyone in WoW you can team up with is a horrible excuse for a human being. The thing that got on my nerves the most was that everyone insisted on telling me how to play. Not like, in the beginning of the game. But in closer to end game stuff. I had people telling me how to play my class at level sixty three. And not even good advice. Like telling me stuff that I learned by level four or in just general leveling up, like to not attack more than one monster/group of monsters at once. When i'd get tired of this, I'd do some sort of griefing as revenge. Though in some cases all I had to do was not do anything, and they'd get irritated that I didn't listen to them.

I played a warlock in WoW, and for those not in the know, they're spellcasters who have a few high damage 'nuke' spells, lots of damage over time spells (DoT's) and also can summon pets. They also have their own special debuffs (spells that negatively affect their target without outright damaging them) called curses, though most groups only have one warlock so they'll generally only use the one curse that hurts things. I specialized as an 'affliction' warlock, which basically just increases the effectiveness of my curses as well giving me special curses and DoT spells. I got pretty decent after it after getting some actual advice from my friend who got me into playing and who had a high level warlock and pretty cool dude I met online who also played a warlock and had hit the level cap recently.

I got to the point that as far as it mattered in instances/dungeons all i need do is pay minor attention to what I targeted, fire off a few spells, change target, and repeat. That poo poo regularly died was not enough for some people. People insisted I needed addons to keep track of my spells ticking off despite the fact that most stuff died before my spells ran their course. They'd get mad about me not having it, and insisting I didn't need it.

They'd get mad that I used the 'wrong' pet all the time. I preferred having the void walker out because he was what I used when I ran around by myself, since he was designed to tank and force enemies to attack him. He also had an ability that allowed me to sacrifice him and get a shield that protected me from damage for a short period of time or a certain amount of damage. I liked having an oh gently caress button because I didn't trust other people to not gently caress up.

One of my professions was enchanter. Enchanters can add effects to weapons/clothing and disenchant magical items, destroying them but giving you magical components that you use to make enchantments. Therefore if we came across any 'useless' magical items, I'd be given and then disenchant it and then we'd roll dice to see who won it. Anyway, one day I'm in a dungeon, some big loving underground place full of lava and poo poo, and there's a miniboss who has like a 1/15 chance of dropping an enchanting recipe that teaches you how to make people's weapons be on fire, something people desperately want. Lucky, this time around, he drops it. And some asshat, who isn't an enchanter, selects 'need' on the pop up (When you find non-common items a window pops up. you can roll or need or for greed, the idea being that if you don't need it, you greed it, and if nobody else needs it, a dice roll decides who gets it. If somebody does need it, they get it, and if multiple need it, it rolls. Of course this is all based on the honor system. He takes it, and says that his friend needs it.

We move deeper into the dungeon, and on the next non-junk item we find, I, alongside everyone else, rolls greed. I win it. I disenchant it, and get a rare enchanting material called a shard. Whereupon they insist that I stop, and we all roll to decide who gets the shard. From the item I won. From all of them. I tell them to politely gently caress off, and if they want to roll for enchanting materials, then they should just give the items to me and not roll for poo poo they're just going to want destroyed or have no use for. We carry on.

We get to some room near the end that has a bunch of bad dues in open view. Since I'm tired of these guys, we start normally, get into the room a bit, then I use my voidwalker pet to get the attention of all of the bad guys in the room, drawing them into the fight. Before the party can figure out what's going on, they're fighting like four times the number of monsters they should be and I'm sitting in a little invulnerability bubble watching them get smashed to pieces by angry things. I use an accessory thing I have that allows me to summon a voidwalker for no cast, with no casting time and requiring none of usual reagents. This is another reason i like it. I sacrifice it again right as my shield goes away and then use my hearthstone, which teleports me from where ever I am to a city I've set as my 'hearth'. So I teleport far and away to the otherside of the world while they're all cursing and yelling at me because I left them all to die. And we had taken so much time arguing and poo poo that the soulstone (it has an effect that lasts for a long time, and if you die while the effect is active, you can immediately resurrect yourself without needing to run back to your body or be revived by a priest) I had used on the priest had expired. Or I had used another one on myself so the one on the priest went away. I don't remember which.

Warlocks also had spells with a fear effect, that caused enemies to run around willynilly scared out of the pants. It was intended as a sort of "oh poo poo" button to keep monsters off of you, especially a later one which caused everything in close proximity to run away. Doing this in an instance could cause the monsters to run (typically towards more monsters) who would then be 'activated' by that monster and come after us. Same effect, slightly different, still fun.

Also fun was to hang around newbie areas and fear the monsters they had to kill for their quests. Leads to pubbies running around chasing after monsters, attracting the attention of more monsters, and them getting swamped.

tl;dr: people in wow annoy me, I help them get all the way to the end of a long dungeon, I wipe the party, laugh as they impotently curse me from the otherside of the world. I force pubbies to chase after monsters and get themselves killed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Like telling me stuff that I learned by level four or in just general leveling up, like to not attack more than one monster/group of monsters at once.
You'd be amazed how many people in WoW don't get this, so they were probably just making sure you knew.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Endorph posted:

You'd be amazed how many people in WoW don't get this, so they were probably just making sure you knew.
They were right though. I don't remember Voidwalker ever being anything but a PvE pet.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MadScientistWorking posted:

They were right though. I don't remember Voidwalker ever being anything but a PvE pet.
Yeah, but the voidwalker was for SOLO PvE. The Voidwalker has an ability that it autocast unless you specifically turned it off, that made it try to get the target's attention. Which means the target might attack it, instead of the designated tank.

The Imp was what they wanted you to use, and I can't blame them. It has a passive that gives everyone in the party a huge health boost, and also does okay damage.

TL;DR SpookyLizard is bad at video games.

• Locked thread