Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I downloaded an episode of Smart Wrestling Fan. Is this poo poo really 5 hours long or am I getting some kind of glitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

triplexpac posted:

So I downloaded an episode of Smart Wrestling Fan. Is this poo poo really 5 hours long or am I getting some kind of glitch

It's really that long. It usually takes me a whole week to listen to a show, if I ever actually get around to listening. It's a very slow moving show.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

triplexpac posted:

It's normally more like 2.5 to 3 hours, the latest was that long for a particularly big PPV and noteworthy Raw, and probably a little down to having 3 hosts on. Also Joe constantly teasing the "Delicious" message and the "Straight Up Tag Team Match" jingle.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
To be fair an hour or so of that is TNA during which I get lunch.

But last week was one of our longer shows, MITB and Raw gave us a lot to talk about, plus we read pretty much every email we get (so you can skip those bits if you want, they do get repetitive).

When Larry's on the show, the show goes 4+ hours for some reason. Probably because he's always drunk.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

triplexpac posted:

You can skip the e-mail segments most of the time, you will miss some funny stuff, but a lot of it is stuff that was already mentioned earlier in the review segments.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You can skip the e-mail segments most of the time, you will miss some funny stuff, but a lot of it is stuff that was already mentioned earlier in the review segments.

"Dear Smart Wrestling Fan,

What did you guys think about CM Punk's promo on Raw?

Sincerely,
Guy Who's A loving Idiot"

Since these are the only emails we don't read, we take quite a while. We try not to go over old ground too much.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Today's Observer Radio has an amazing sequence where Dave totally marks out talking a about Keith Stone commercial and Bryan has no idea what he's talking about.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
DAVE's quote of the week "[John Cena]'s just not smooth... He's just not Keith Stone."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Fish Of Doom posted:

Today's Observer Radio has an amazing sequence where Dave totally marks out talking a about Keith Stone commercial and Bryan has no idea what he's talking about.

Well y'know, he stands there and this bird brings a salmon to him... a whole fish, not just the meat... then he throws it on the grill, and it turns into an entire meal!!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was driving in my car shouting WHO THE gently caress IS KEITH STONE?????

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Dave and Bryan talking about JoMo's shirtlessness was the funniest loving banter I've heard in a while.

Especially since they are completely serious.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dave is pretty insufferable sometimes.

Bryan: "They could have done (stuff)"
Dave: "That wasn't the plan."
Byran: "I know but I'm saying what they could have done to stretch this out."
Dave: "But that wasn't the plan."

He'd be the worst friend to try to have a conversation with.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
If Bryan would just stop talking about hypotheticals then there would be no problem. Dave only deals with the cold hard facts.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

If Bryan would just stop talking about hypotheticals then there would be no problem. Dave only deals with the cold hard facts.

...sort of. He deals with sources. And if he has one source it's the absolute truth until another wrestler says its bullshit. Then he weighs out which one gave him better pot.

...oh wait, we're talking about Dave Meltzer. For a second I thought we were talking about Wade Keller.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

triplexpac posted:

It's annoying though. It's like the audio version of people here quoting posts and saying something like "You're wrong" and nothing else to further the discussion or to give the other person something to work with in a conversation.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Dave can deal with hypotheticals if he's the one introducing them. Despite having dry sense of humor, once someone else says something nonliteral, he doesn't get it.

It's kind of weird.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
This Bryan and Vinny show was phenomenal, as per usual, I don't know much about the "French Stallion", but I'm interested in it, and Bryan has another few good rants and shots at the boards in this show while Vinny just groans

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is there anywhere you can watch World of Hurt?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
The first three episodes were on youtube for a bit, and might be still floating around on file sharing sites. I had no luck finding anything after that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I was able to find the first 3 episodes but the rest are MIA.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
"My goal is to make this poo poo cool again." -CM Punk on the BS Report.

Overall I thought this was a stiff-feeling podcast. Simmons took it into "behinds the scenes" territory quite a bit, and I don't think that's what Punk really enjoys discussing. But you get some great candid moments out of Punk, and it's absolutely worth a listen.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Borh posted:

The first three episodes were on youtube for a bit, and might be still floating around on file sharing sites. I had no luck finding anything after that.

Yeah I get the feeling that it hasn't even been airing on TV in Canada in certain markets from the way Bryan and Vinnie were talking about it. I've been waiting to see the French Stallion episode for ages.

e: Hahahaha I'm listening to the B.S. Report and Punk taking pot shots at smarks saying "OH THEY'LL JUST RUIN IT NEXT WEEK!". Punk may actually read WH2K.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 27, 2011

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haven't listened to the Punk interview yet, but what has WWE done to NOT deserve the "Oh they'll just ruin it next week" reaction? Besides this current Punk angle they have a track record of loving up storylines.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Yeah, that's my problem with that as well. It's all well and good to ask your viewers to stick with you when you try something different if you have a track record of being able to follow-up on the storylines you start and bringing things to a satisfying conclusion. WWE has burned through a tremendous amount of goodwill in the past decade, so asking people to stick their hands in the fire for them after they got burned a bunch of times is a bit too much. That being said, I'm still enjoying the Punk angle (though I was enjoying it more before this week's Raw) and I have faith in Punk and his commitment to telling a good story. It's towards Vince and Stephanie that I like to keep a healthy distrust.

Also, I really had to laugh at some of the bullshit Punk came out with, such as not having decided whether or not he was going to leave the company until after the MITB match.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Haven't listened to the Punk interview yet, but what has WWE done to NOT deserve the "Oh they'll just ruin it next week" reaction? Besides this current Punk angle they have a track record of loving up storylines.

Absolutely nothing. But the WWE is a lot like Star Wars. Even though they've hosed up constantly and they really don't enjoy things any more, and quite honestly have grown out of it, when much better sci-fi exists, they are more than willing to pay or pay attention to the next thing Lucas creates with the title on it.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

triplexpac posted:

He didn't attack people who said that, he just acknowledged those jaded wrestling fans exist, and for good reason, but that he wishes they didn't think that way and just enjoyed it. It's not like he was saying they shouldn't feel that way.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

Punk may actually read WH2K.

:ughh:

Yes, and Jon Stewart is a goon

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lloyd Boner posted:

He didn't attack people who said that, he just acknowledged those jaded wrestling fans exist, and for good reason, but that he wishes they didn't think that way and just enjoyed it. It's not like he was saying they shouldn't feel that way.

Oh okay, the way I read it was that he was chastising us for feeling that way. I'd love to just sit back and enjoy wrestling as well, which I am trying to do now that they're actually doing a compelling storyline. I want to love WWE, they just make it so hard sometimes :ohdear:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

triplexpac posted:

Oh okay, the way I read it was that he was chastising us for feeling that way. I'd love to just sit back and enjoy wrestling as well, which I am trying to do now that they're actually doing a compelling storyline. I want to love WWE, they just make it so hard sometimes :ohdear:

It's hard not feeling hurt by those comments when the WWE constantly shits all over you and someone goes "Hey just let them poo poo on you some more because eventually the diamond I shoved down their throat will pop out."

This punk angle dragged me back in, and in two weeks tossing the title back onto Cena has almost completely killed it for me. They couldn't just let Rey headline against Punk for one god drat ppv? I'd like to believe CM Punk that there's a light at the end of the tunnel that requires Cena being the champ, but unless this is all part of a giant heel turn to help his match against the Rock at WM, I don't see it being worth poo poo and all it's doing is getting Cena even more "go away/x-pac" heat.

I like listening to interviews with Punk and caught a couple of his recent ones, but this one was just "Look I said I'd come back, they pulled the trigger too soon, now I don't want to just agree because I know they have no clue what they're doing so I'll just say that people should keep watching because I know I'll do a good job and try to make it entertaining for them."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 27, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rants about the baggers will never get old.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Beeswax posted:

:ughh:

Yes, and Jon Stewart is a goon

I wasn't actually serious. It's in the same context of "so and so must read WH2K based on the booking!"

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I hope Del Rio cashes in during the Punk Cena match and pins both, unifying the titles. Poor guy has been denied the belt like 4 times by now

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
This week's Art of Wrestling features the Glamazon~

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

you're a man. let 'em dangle.

Lloyd Boner posted:

This week's Art of Wrestling features the Glamazon~

Molly Holly is continually proven to be one of the most selfless and giving people in pro-wrestling, what a sweet story :allears:

I hope we get to see Beth's new character ideas soon, I mean it's not as if there's anything to the Divas division now besides a squinter champion who I doubt has Costanza-level vision, dastardly twins, and some woman named Eve apparently. Though I think rumors of her existence are greatly exaggerated.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
'Todd Martin? ...Exciting.'

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 29, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part on the better than expected Todd Martin show has been this:

"Then Cole and Michaels went hunting sharks, and people were all like 'it's called fishing bryan.'"

:stare:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

My favorite part on the better than expected Todd Martin show has been this:

"Then Cole and Michaels went hunting sharks, and people were all like 'it's called fishing bryan.'"

:stare:

They called it shark hunting! :colbert:

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

I would pay good money for an audiobook of Granny reading the phone book.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I almost died laughing from Bryan talking about Eric Bischoff versus the Bird!

"[Sting] is so concerned that Eric Bischoff might leave his office during a CAGE MATCH, presumably to interfere, despite the fact this match is taking place inside a cage, and there are 5 grown men surrounding the cage; he is so concerned that Eric might do this that he has brought a BIRD to hold Eric Bischoff HOSTAGE!...Bischoff SOLD FOR THE BIRD! He recoiled in fear! 'Stay away from me bird!' as the bird hopped on his desk. Then off Sting went and that is the last we ever saw of Eric. He may still be in his office held hostage by a bird."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I almost died laughing from Bryan talking about Eric Bischoff versus the Bird!

"[Sting] is so concerned that Eric Bischoff might leave his office during a CAGE MATCH, presumably to interfere, despite the fact this match is taking place inside a cage, and there are 5 grown men surrounding the cage; he is so concerned that Eric might do this that he has brought a BIRD to hold Eric Bischoff HOSTAGE!...Bischoff SOLD FOR THE BIRD! He recoiled in fear! 'Stay away from me bird!' as the bird hopped on his desk. Then off Sting went and that is the last we ever saw of Eric. He may still be in his office held hostage by a bird."

Was this on a show with Dave? If so was Dave like "Birds can't really kidnap people."

Dave's complete lack of a sense of humor is comedy to me in itself.

• Locked thread