Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
So, Ford put this picture up on their facebook page as a "prize" for a picture contest they were running.

Kinda looks like those concept drawings we saw a little bit back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there a version that includes the rest of the wheels?

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Fucknag posted:

Or get a Watt's linkage setup.

What is the preferred watt's link for s197's?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

frozenphil posted:

It looks like an angry :downs: version of the current design.... Which already looked like a :downs: version of the original to me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

http://youtu.be/Y4cskOQHZ_0

JPC's new turbo kit. 615rwhp @ 6psi on 93 octane pump gas. Apparently all the turbo folks are having issues keeping the valves closed over 6500RPM, so all of them are leaving around a thousand RPM on the table. Considering that turbos make their power in the upper third of the RPM range, I'd say we're looking at a good 75hp or so left on the table until better valve springs come out for the GT heads.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

lazer_chicken posted:

What is the preferred watt's link for s197's?

A lot of people run the Fays2 Watts link since it's solidly built and fairly affordable, but it does add additional noise from its all rod-end construction. Steeda offers a Watts link with urethane bushings so it works quietly (and it's a tiny bit lighter than the Fays2), but of course it's more expensive.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Anyone like shop drama?
This thread is pretty fun if you do.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Anyone like shop drama?
This thread is pretty fun if you do.

Guy posts a thread saying he's having major problems with his turbo kit and hellion shits all over him instead of doing the right thing. It's a pretty cut and dry lovely thing to do.

That said I learned something new today, knock sensor actually work on sound.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

kronix posted:

Guy posts a thread saying he's having major problems with his turbo kit and hellion shits all over him instead of doing the right thing. It's a pretty cut and dry lovely thing to do.

That said I learned something new today, knock sensor actually work on sound.

Actually, unless I'm missing something, Hellion offered to professionally install it for him for free and fix his issues and he said no he didn't want that. It has been installed and used, I don't see why he would expect them to take it back like it wasn't.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Lowclock posted:

Actually, unless I'm missing something, Hellion offered to professionally install it for him for free and fix his issues and he said no he didn't want that. It has been installed and used, I don't see why he would expect them to take it back like it wasn't.

There's a lot I missed, I tried to follow it as closely as possible but just reading that forum is really frustrating. It sounds like this guy had everyone and his mother look at it and it was already off the car. Plus I think no matter what it was going to have rubbing issues.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

You'll probably need to read the whole thing to grasp it. It would also help to have been following this stuff for awhile to see all of the twists and turns from other threads and such.
It's key to understand that none of these shops want to appear to bash another shop. It always creates a poo poo storm when that starts to happen. I've been PMed over there by several shops giving me some info that they are afraid of posting.
I'm just egging them on to the poo poo storm. I'm tired of aftermarket companies coming on to forums and treating the membership like loving wallets to be plucked. They contribute absolutely nothing of value to the forum and then quickly swoop in to poo poo on someone who dares mention they had an issue with a product they bought.
The lack of advertisers posting here is really what keeps AI special.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

You'll probably need to read the whole thing to grasp it. It would also help to have been following this stuff for awhile to see all of the twists and turns from other threads and such.
It's key to understand that none of these shops want to appear to bash another shop. It always creates a poo poo storm when that starts to happen. I've been PMed over there by several shops giving me some info that they are afraid of posting.
I'm just egging them on to the poo poo storm. I'm tired of aftermarket companies coming on to forums and treating the membership like loving wallets to be plucked. They contribute absolutely nothing of value to the forum and then quickly swoop in to poo poo on someone who dares mention they had an issue with a product they bought.
The lack of advertisers posting here is really what keeps AI special.

You seem to be the guy who knows all the forces at work so I actually paid attention to your responses. I don't really check out that forum and that thread is pretty dense and right around page 20 when everyone starts making GBS threads on the OP is where I started to skip around. There were a lot of fanboys saying that it's normal to have a bunch of problems on what's supposed to be an easy to install kit. If I spend all that money on a kit, I know I'd want to not have issues too.

That said, is that turbo location really an awesome idea? I'm no mechanical engineer but it looks like that turbo is right in front of where the intake is drawing in air and there's no intercooler. On top of that, putting a device capable of shooting metal death into a very expensive motor when damaged under the front bumper seems like a really really really lovely idea.

I don't understand why you wouldn't go with a blower but hey, what the gently caress do I know.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

You seem to be the guy who knows all the forces at work so I actually paid attention to your responses. I don't really check out that forum and that thread is pretty dense and right around page 20 when everyone starts making GBS threads on the OP is where I started to skip around.
I just posted a question that one of the shops told me via PM to post. ;)

quote:

There were a lot of fanboys saying that it's normal to have a bunch of problems on what's supposed to be an easy to install kit. If I spend all that money on a kit, I know I'd want to not have issues too.
Pretty much the exact point that most of us sane ones were making in that thread.

quote:

That said, is that turbo location really an awesome idea? I'm no mechanical engineer but it looks like that turbo is right in front of where the intake is drawing in air and there's no intercooler. On top of that, putting a device capable of shooting metal death into a very expensive motor when damaged under the front bumper seems like a really really really lovely idea.
I'm not a fan of low mount turbos in general. Apart from the issue you pointed out, low slung turbos also require a scavenge pump for the oil which adds weight and another point of failure which could potentially lunch your engine.

quote:

I don't understand why you wouldn't go with a blower but hey, what the gently caress do I know.
Turbos, psi to psi, make more horsepower than superchargers while also causing less wear on the engine (no pulley to turn/no side load on the crank).

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I just posted a question that one of the shops told me via PM to post. ;)

Pretty much the exact point that most of us sane ones were making in that thread.

I'm not a fan of low mount turbos in general. Apart from the issue you pointed out, low slung turbos also require a scavenge pump for the oil which adds weight and another point of failure which could potentially lunch your engine.

Turbos, psi to psi, make more horsepower than superchargers while also causing less wear on the engine (no pulley to turn/no side load on the crank).

Yeah I just saw it, the whole thing is just sketchy. There's so much astroturf on the Mustang forums every time something lovely happens. It was the same nonsense when the Bama tune was blowing up cylinder #8 because they disabled the knock sensors claiming that Lund's tune and even the FRPP tune were both guilty. I pretty much never believe anything I read anywhere but here.

Even if turbo's are more efficient and cause less wear I'd trust something out of the Ford racing catalog before I'd trust any bullshit cobbled together kit from hellion. At least the FRPP kits come with a reasonable warranty if installed at a dealership. From what I see hellion warranties nothing but the components they resell and even then only for a year.

Except piping, that gets a lifetime warranty :jerkbag:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

Even if turbo's are more efficient and cause less wear I'd trust something out of the Ford racing catalog

You've got a year or two.
;)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't really want to read that mess myself -- can you rate how well the various vendors (Hellion in particular) are coming out looking in this exchange?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BBR, UPR, and American Muscle have all made asses of themselves recently.
Hellion doesn't look too good in this instance, but they have a long line of quality work and awesome customer service. I'll chalk this up as a bump in the road unless they keep making an rear end out of themselves.
That what you're looking for, or are you wanting a list of the good and bad shops?

Edit: LOL, they're doing a "forums software update". They did one of these a few weeks ago and a bunch of posts disappeared from controversial threads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

That what you're looking for, or are you wanting a list of the good and bad shops?

I think you answered my question, but it's certainly interesting to see companies have different face offline and online.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I think you answered my question, but it's certainly interesting to see companies have different face offline and online.

I've never heard anything bad about lethal, in fact after the fallout from Bama/AM a lot of guys were running back to get tunes from John Lund over at lethal. The problem is you never know.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

I've never heard anything bad about lethal, in fact after the fallout from Bama/AM a lot of guys were running back to get tunes from John Lund over at lethal. The problem is you never know.

Lethal does good work. My problem with them is that they are a prime example of contributing nothing to the forums and treating the users like walking wallets. The only thing they post is ads and teaser videos with no information and a message to "catch all the info in next month's magazine!"

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
There's not enough information to make any clear determination other than that these shops need to get loving PR guys and not let their grunts vomit all over the internet. They're catering to a niche market with these turbo kits and they're going to get killed by brand name power adders if they don't nip this in the bud.

"The customer is always right" isn't a statement of fact, it's a mantra. Even when they're wrong, they're right, because it's better to cater to a squeaky wheel than let public opinion turn against you. Or you can go swing your dick around some forums and wonder why you aren't selling any more kits.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RockSmart posted:

There's not enough information to make any clear determination other than that these shops need to get loving PR guys and not let their grunts vomit all over the internet. They're catering to a niche market with these turbo kits and they're going to get killed by brand name power adders if they don't nip this in the bud.

"The customer is always right" isn't a statement of fact, it's a mantra. Even when they're wrong, they're right, because it's better to cater to a squeaky wheel than let public opinion turn against you. Or you can go swing your dick around some forums and wonder why you aren't selling any more kits.

This is pretty much the crux of the issue. These companies were started by your average American in their garage. They have no clue how to run a business, but they're giving it a go. There's a real opportunity here for business savvy folks to help build a brand with an established reputation for quality.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are brands like Edelbrock or Roush really that much bigger or better reputed than Hellion?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Are brands like Edelbrock or Roush really that much bigger or better reputed than Hellion?

...really?
Edelbrock and Roush both have massive campuses. Edelbrock has their own loving foundry for christ's sake.
Roush is basically nothing but Ford engineers; think of Roush as the new SVT, because for all intents and purposes it is.
Hellion was started out of John Urist's garage because he needed a way to fund his race team. They have their own building now, though. It even has some lifts!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hmm, I guess I'm giving too much credit to the average Mustang owner looking to get 100hp+ out of a blower. If it were me, I'd try to research a kit's componentry, ease of install, etc. etc. I know FRPP and Roush and the big guys have markups built-in going on their name and size, so it makes more sense to me to shop respected smaller vendors.
It wasn't about #units sold or size of company, but about whether a new Mustang owner would know that Hellion exists or whether that'd be their initial choice going into an upgrade project.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
E: ^^^^^ drat, beat

kimbo305 posted:

Edelbrock has been around as a company since 1938 and made OEM parts for many manufacturers for many many years, as well as being one of the most prolific and successful names in racing and having their own foundry. Roush is one of the only companies whose poo poo is so good that manufacturers will still honor the factory drivetrain warranty. I would say yes.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Took the 2012 V6 'Stang to the local Mustang guy @ Ryan's Performance.

Came out with 287RWHP / 257lb-ft @ 94deg ambient. Not bad for a CAI/tune, considering stock is rated at 305 crank HP.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

thetechnoloser posted:

Came out with 287RWHP / 257lb-ft @ 94deg ambient. Not bad for a CAI/tune, considering stock is rated at 305 crank HP.

supercharge that bitch

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

thetechnoloser posted:

lol, more than my '03 GT. I guess I can still be happy that mine isn't a fatty like yours. ;)

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RapeWhistle posted:

supercharge that bitch

It's only got 1,800mi on it, and I still have a loan to pay off. Maybe once it's paid off. :)

frozenphil posted:

lol, more than my '03 GT. I guess I can still be happy that mine isn't a fatty like yours. ;)

True, I bet I still get better gas mileage, fatty and all, though. ;)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

thetechnoloser posted:

Jesus freaking Christ...this is what $22k gets you these days...

I think we live in the best time to drive cars.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Jesus freaking Christ...this is what $22k gets you these days...

I think we live in the best time to drive cars.

Yeah that V6 is stupidly fast. Just remember, nobody buys the 22k Mustang except rental companies. It's going to be more like 25-26 before you get one that's really worth it.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

Yeah that V6 is stupidly fast. Just remember, nobody buys the 22k Mustang except rental companies. It's going to be more like 25-26 before you get one that's really worth it.

Yeah, after getting shafted with LA state tax (8%), I walked with a 2012 V6 premium with 6-speed man tran, 3.31s, leather, sync, and the MCA package for just under 28K all said and done (I had a X-plan code).

I could have had a 5.0 with no options, or the 3.7 I got with every option. I'm not disappointed.

I got 28.5mpg driving ~250mi or so back from Houston to where I'm stationed in LA, too (and I forgot I had a 6th gear for the first 25-30mi)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
If I get new wheels and tires can I have the TPMSs remounted to the new set at a place like Discount Tire? Don't think I can justify $200 for a new set of something I already own :/.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

shodanjr_gr posted:

If I get new wheels and tires can I have the TPMSs remounted to the new set at a place like Discount Tire? Don't think I can justify $200 for a new set of something I already own :/.

Yes. They're either in the valve stems or held to the wheel with what's basically a huge worm clamp, I dunno offhand which style your stang has but they can be swapped to a new set of wheels no problem.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

If you're planning on swapping the wheels in the winter get another set.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

kronix posted:

If you're planning on swapping the wheels in the winter get another set.

Or ignore the light and maintain the tire pressure yourself. TPMS only notifies you of extreme conditions anyhow, beyond the point where you should already be concerned about drivability / tire wear, so inspecting the pressure is still a requirement for safe driving.

As far as I know, the TPMS light comes on, the computer bitches at you at startup, you hit reset and drive. There is no other system affected when TPMS sensors are missing. I drove my 2011 this past winter on winters without sensors with no issue.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I'm not really getting a second set of winter tires. The snow on Long Island is not bad enough to necessitate that. What I want is a decent set of all-seasons to replace the stock BF Goodriches and their crappy wet traction...suggestions?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/786520-cause-8-a.html

Found this today, interesting thread on some forum I've never read before about why they think cylinder #8 is blowing in cars tuned by certain companies. It sounds more and more like tuners jumped the gun a little bit on the Coyote and were out of their league.

Who could've thought adding a lot of timing and possibly disabling/ignoring the knock sensors and throwing in a dash of not completely understanding the data they were reading on the dyno and you have a recipe for disaster.

However, how come nobody can tell me if the FRPP tune is completely immune and Ford will honor the warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kronix posted:

However, how come nobody can tell me if the FRPP tune is completely immune and Ford will honor the warranty.

This poo poo depends on the dealer you take it too. I posted a while back, that a Ford Racing supercharger, installed by Ford certified mechanics at a Ford dealership, where you purchased a N/A mustang, would not be warrantied. I don't get it, but there you go.

in the case of any aftermarket modifications, Ford's Own or a 3rd party company mod, its really hit or miss with the dealers.