Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Bondematt posted:

The FCR comes with a boot to fit the airbox, did you put the pod filter on? If not the PO probably tossed the correct boot.

The PO (I think) put the filter on and provided me with the spare parts. I suppose he never got the new boot and just went straight to the pod filter. He's a goon and he may be able to clarify because I don't know the full history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traineehawking
Jan 29, 2008

For me, having sex with my girlfriend is about as exciting as eating a sandwich.
Does your carb have an accelerator pump on it per chance?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

traineehawking posted:

Does your carb have an accelerator pump on it per chance?

Yes. I have done the o-ring mod and timed it so it just barely misses the slide when I whack the throttle.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

What tire repair kits does CA carry? I always have a bit of extra room in my tail bag, and with no way to plug it a puncture would ruin my day. Poking around the usual gear sites I find a few options, but surely someone here has experience with specific gear. I'm mostly interested in plug kits with CO2 inflators rather than bizarro mini-compressors.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg
I took the MSF class this weekend and passed both parts! I started out with zero motorcycle experience and no experience with manual transmissions.

Lessons Learned:
- I still need to practice cornering and getting comfortable with leaning. I lost points on the skills test for taking the corner too slow.
- I also lost points for the U-Turn box - I wasn't turning tight enough. Maybe more leaning anxiety?
- Manual transmissions aren't that hard to deal with. Once I got it moving I had no trouble.
- Maybe I do want a sportbike. The funnest part of the course was slalom. I wish we'd gotten to try other bikes, I was on a cruiser the whole time.
- Packing the camelback with ice and filling with water was the best idea I have ever had in my entire life. I'm buying a 2nd one.
- Forgetting sunblock on saturday was pretty dumb. I now have a pink triangle on my face.
- Long-sleeved underarmor made day 2 much more pleasant than day 1, when I had a levi's denim jacket.
- Riding is stupid fun and being sunburnt and sore at the end of the day feels great after a week of 72 degree, fluorescent-lit computer work.
Also, there were two people there starting out with R1s. :psyduck:
My piece-of-crap learner bike:

Kawasaki Eliminator 125cc

I haven't bought a bike yet but I definitely want to. Based on how I did during the test I'd stay in residential and parking lots for a good while. Onto my questions!

Gear:
I took the class in mechanix gloves and lovely Big 5 police boots. I live in the northern part of Orange County, California. Is there a good gear shop around here to patronize? Also, I have a huge head. I borrowed a 3X HJC helmet during the class. Any recommendations for a big helmet (+ fits glasses)?

Bikes:
Also, how would I go about trying different models? I went into the class completely positive I wanted a standard or cruiser, but now I think I'd rather have a sportbike. Obviously the first recommendation is a Kawasaki Ninja, but getting a Honda CBR250R really appeals to me for a few reasons:
1) I like Hondas. My car is an Acura.
2) Fuel injection. The learner bike I used needed choke and would sometimes stall idling in neutral.
3) ABS. I didn't have trouble with locking my front wheel during the MSF class but I really like the idea of having an extra bit of insurance.
4) Fuel efficiency? I don't care about this much but it's a plus I guess.

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
God dammit was checking my bike and found a nail head in the rear wheel right in the centre, I'm guessing the best to do is to get the tyre replaced asap, the pressure is holding with no problem though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

BaronW posted:

2) Fuel injection. The learner bike I used needed choke and would sometimes stall idling in neutral.
FI is nice, but carbed motors aren't that big of a pain in my opinion. It sounds like you're willing to spend a little bit of money if you're looking at the CBR250 (you can't find them used so you'll have to buy a new bike) in which case you could buy a 2008+ (new-gen) Ninja 250. If you buy a used '08+ Ninja you'll be able to throw the money you saved on the bike towards gear, and you won't have to worry about dropping a brand new bike or maintaining an old bike.

quote:

3) ABS. I didn't have trouble with locking my front wheel during the MSF class but I really like the idea of having an extra bit of insurance.
I'm not sure what the CA consensus is on traction control, ABS, etc. But, in my opinion I think it's a crutch that you don't need. The main purpose of buying a smaller bike such as a CBR250 or Ninja 250 as a first bike is that they are much more forgiving than their inline-four siblings. It's the point in your riding career where you need to ingrain proper braking technique and its the best time to learn what happens when you exceed your boundaries. Grab a handful of brake on a CBR 250 with ABS? Yeah, the electronics will probably kick in and keep the front tire from locking up on you. But what happens when you upgrade to a 600RR and grab a handful of brake? It's probably not going to have ABS and you're going to lock the front and not be comfortable enough to properly handle the situation. If you learn proper braking on the small bike, those skills are going to transfer to anything you ride in the future.

I know it's extra peace of mind, but I would advise against it on a first bike. After you are capable of proper braking technique under all circumstances (limited-traction, panic, etc) then I would say ABS would be okay, but even then most riders comfortable with their braking would prefer to have no electronic assistance.

quote:

The CBR gets slightly better mileage than the Ninja but that's because its a single cylinder. The downside of that means that the CBR has a much lower top speed (the Kawi will do 100mph stock without issues) and will be more uncomfortable at high speeds/high revs (more vibration from the single cylinder). When I had my ninja I was constantly in the mountains and I did more than one 800+ mile daytrip through the twisties on it. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that on the Honda.

sewersider posted:

God dammit was checking my bike and found a nail head in the rear wheel right in the centre, I'm guessing the best to do is to get the tyre replaced asap, the pressure is holding with no problem though.
If you're comfortable patching it yourself (most shops won't patch bike tires due to liability), you should be fine with a PLUG PATCH (it's a combination patch and is the only thing I would ever use on a bike), given that the hole is fairly small. As long as you aren't going on the track or anything I wouldn't hesitate to patch a small hole in the rear tire. Front tire though? gently caress that, it's getting replaced.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

sewersider posted:

If the tyre is due to be replaced soon, just replace it. Relatively new tyre? good quality patch/plug as Inu said.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Synonamess Botch posted:

The PO (I think) put the filter on and provided me with the spare parts. I suppose he never got the new boot and just went straight to the pod filter. He's a goon and he may be able to clarify because I don't know the full history.

Previous owner to me did all the modifications on that bike. Pretty sure she went straight to pod filter when the FCR was installed. Can't believe the bike is giving you that much trouble, I never had issues with it...sorry it ended up being a bit of a pain.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Loucks posted:

What tire repair kits does CA carry? I always have a bit of extra room in my tail bag, and with no way to plug it a puncture would ruin my day. Poking around the usual gear sites I find a few options, but surely someone here has experience with specific gear. I'm mostly interested in plug kits with CO2 inflators rather than bizarro mini-compressors.

This is what I carry on my long trips. Fits right into the side pocket of my tank bag. I've not had a chance to use it but it seems like good insurance against most punctures.

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_news/product_reviews_articles/11q1/stop_go_pocket_tire_plugger_plus_co2_inflation_-_product_evaluation

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Does anyone have any recommendations for sliders for a '05 ninja 636? I'm not interested in cutting my fairings.

It felt weird asking the p.o. how he took off the fairings for oil changes etc and watching him point out all the screw points. I'm too used to naked bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

-Inu- posted:

I'm not sure what the CA consensus is on traction control, ABS, etc. But, in my opinion I think it's a crutch that you don't need.
I completely disagree with this. Can you (or anyone for that matter) detect which wheel is locking up in a panic stop in 200 milliseconds and adjust your braking appropriately to compensate? I think ABS should be regarded as important to bikes as seat belts are to cars.

However the question is moot for this guy because I'm pretty sure there are no 250 sized bikes offered with ABS out there.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

However the question is moot for this guy because I'm pretty sure there are no 250 sized bikes offered with ABS out there.

The new CBR250s have it as an option, I believe.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I completely disagree with this.

Me too, on the grounds that it's better to have that last safety net to save your arse if your braking modulation does fail when you really need it. Of course, perfecting your braking technique is important and something everyone should aim for as a rider, however I can't see how ABS would hinder that if you're serious about being a good rider. Just practice good braking technique always (as usual), treat ABS intervention as a failure of your technique, adjust accordingly, and be thankful for the added bonus that you didn't just eat poo poo because of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

I'm not sure what the CA consensus is on traction control, ABS, etc. But, in my opinion I think it's a crutch that you don't need. The main purpose of buying a smaller bike such as a CBR250 or Ninja 250 as a first bike is that they are much more forgiving than their inline-four siblings. It's the point in your riding career where you need to ingrain proper braking technique and its the best time to learn what happens when you exceed your boundaries. Grab a handful of brake on a CBR 250 with ABS? Yeah, the electronics will probably kick in and keep the front tire from locking up on you. But what happens when you upgrade to a 600RR and grab a handful of brake? It's probably not going to have ABS and you're going to lock the front and not be comfortable enough to properly handle the situation. If you learn proper braking on the small bike, those skills are going to transfer to anything you ride in the future.

I disagree 100%. ABS should be on every street ridden motorcycle, period. It takes seat time to develop the amount of skill where you can quickly release and reapply the brakes when traction is variable (say, manhole covers, painted lines if you ride when it's damp out, or any time you ride in the rain). ABS allows any rider to consistently brake like a god in any situation where traction is variable, and that's not a skill that even the top racers have.

The barrier to ingraining proper riding technique is poor riders, not ABS. ABS will save a lot of newbie crashes and it's loving depressing that the attitude that "ABS will make you a lovely rider!" is so prevalent. ABS loses under a prepared track condition with an experienced rider who is capable of hanging the rear wheel off the ground. It wins in every other situation you can think of, or any time there is an inexperienced rider on the bike.

ABS should be a given for any street bike. If you can find a bike with it as a first bike, buy it, because I promise you there will be at least one situation in your first year of riding if you rack up any significant amount of mileage where it takes you from an "Oh poo poo!" moment to a "Thank god for ABS" moment.

The only thing to respect with ABS is that you should focus on why the ABS engaged and adjust your riding appropriately. If the ABS is kicking in, you exceeded available traction, and it's up to you to figure out what you missed that cause you to engage the ABS.

Synonamess Botch posted:

I have one with my box-o-spares but no filter itself. I tried fitting it a while back and iirc the intake side of the carburetor is a little too big for the boot to fit around. I can give it a try, but I am not sure why the intake setup would work fine on one motor and not another.

Stock engine to stock engine? Makes me think something happened to the carb or something was screwed up during the installation process. Have you checked that all of the overflow tubes are clear and stuff?

Crayvex posted:

This is what I carry on my long trips. Fits right into the side pocket of my tank bag. I've not had a chance to use it but it seems like good insurance against most punctures.

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_news/product_reviews_articles/11q1/stop_go_pocket_tire_plugger_plus_co2_inflation_-_product_evaluation

drat that's way better than the rope style plugs I've been using. I'll have to pick one of those up at some point.

Bixington posted:

Yup, basically the only place it's better than the Ninja 250 (well, I guess gas mileage too).

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 25, 2011

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Crayvex posted:

I have this same kit, and I also carry a small compressor. My theory is that plugs and repair strings can leak and sometimes don't seal the first time, and the CO2 is a one shot deal.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Z3n posted:

The barrier to ingraining proper riding technique is poor riders, not ABS. ABS will save a lot of newbie crashes and it's loving depressing that the attitude that "ABS will make you a lovely rider!" is so prevalent. ABS loses under a prepared track condition with an experienced rider who is capable of hanging the rear wheel off the ground. It wins in every other situation you can think of, or any time there is an inexperienced rider on the bike.
Fair enough. I guess 95% of my friends who ride are optimized for track and most of them don't even ride streetbikes, so my opinion is a little biased. I can see why ABS would be helpful on a streetbike if you're using it to supplement good braking.

the walkin dude posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for sliders for a '05 ninja 636? I'm not interested in cutting my fairings.
Not recommended. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but no-cut sliders use a bracket that bolts to the frame to move the position of the sliders. These brackets will fold/break under pressure (ie when the bike is sliding on the ground) and the sliders won't do their job. Not only that, but they can and will gently caress up your engine mounts in the process. All you need to install cut sliders is a hole saw bit for a drill or a dremel and 5 minutes. But, if you have you heart set on no-cuts, Shogun should make them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

Fair enough. I guess 95% of my friends who ride are optimized for track and most of them don't even ride streetbikes, so my opinion is a little biased. I can see why ABS would be helpful on a streetbike if you're using it to supplement good braking.

Not recommended. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but no-cut sliders use a bracket that bolts to the frame to move the position of the sliders. These brackets will fold/break under pressure (ie when the bike is sliding on the ground) and the sliders won't do their job. Not only that, but they can and will gently caress up your engine mounts in the process. All you need to install cut sliders is a hole saw bit for a drill or a dremel and 5 minutes. But, if you have you heart set on no-cuts, Shogun should make them.

ABS doesn't do anything until you start either locking the tire or pulling a stoppie. And even on the track, it doesn't stop you from braking hard until you're lifting the rear off the ground...most of the guys who run A group don't consistently pull the back end of the bike off the ground in the hard braking zones, so they wouldn't notice ABS either.

I do agree on the no-cut sliders, though. For my racebike, if my plastics aren't pre-drilled, I just cut the sliders down and mount them behind the plastics to help support the fairings and to provide a grind point once the fairings get worn down enough. No concerns about them digging in and flipping the bike that way.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

Stock engine to stock engine? Makes me think something happened to the carb or something was screwed up during the installation process. Have you checked that all of the overflow tubes are clear and stuff

Mmm, not stock. Original motor has hot cams and a wiseco piston, all I know about the new motor is it has cams.

Interestingly, even though it is definitely acting like it is a lean condition/vacuum leak, when I slowly rev it up real good it blows black smoke like it's rich. Even on the original jets. The plug is brand new. Is it possible I'm having an ignition issue?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Previous owner to me did all the modifications on that bike. Pretty sure she went straight to pod filter when the FCR was installed. Can't believe the bike is giving you that much trouble, I never had issues with it...sorry it ended up being a bit of a pain.

Don't sweat it, it's not like it's your fault. :) I totally love wrenching and I do it all day long, but I gotta admit it does get a bit frustrating when you get no results.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

Mmm, not stock. Original motor has hot cams and a wiseco piston, all I know about the new motor is it has cams.

Interestingly, even though it is definitely acting like it is a lean condition/vacuum leak, when I slowly rev it up real good it blows black smoke like it's rich. Even on the original jets. The plug is brand new. Is it possible I'm having an ignition issue?

Don't sweat it, it's not like it's your fault. :) I totally love wrenching and I do it all day long, but I gotta admit it does get a bit frustrating when you get no results.

It's possible, pull the plug and check.

But you're having issues because the engines need to be jetted differently. Have you checked TT for the appropriate rough jetting for your mod list?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

It's possible, pull the plug and check.

But you're having issues because the engines need to be jetted differently. Have you checked TT for the appropriate rough jetting for your mod list?

As of this very moment I'm suspecting I have a weak spark. Ignition timing isn't adjustable is it?

I have checked TT time and again. Nobody has *quite* the setup I've got but I shouldn't be as far off as it is, and I've tried mimicking a number of different jetting recommendations that they have on a nice little google spreadsheet. There were a couple I couldn't try because I have no smaller main jets, only bigger, but that's about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

As of this very moment I'm suspecting I have a weak spark. Ignition timing isn't adjustable is it?

I have checked TT time and again. Nobody has *quite* the setup I've got but I shouldn't be as far off as it is, and I've tried mimicking a number of different jetting recommendations that they have on a nice little google spreadsheet. There were a couple I couldn't try because I have no smaller main jets, only bigger, but that's about it.

Ignition timing shouldn't be adjustable, no. Have you checked that the coil is seated well and you're getting a solid blue spark?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Synonamess Botch posted:

You should be talking to Sisneros honestly. There's really no reason to go to anyone other than him if you have DRZ jetting questions imo.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

Ignition timing shouldn't be adjustable, no. Have you checked that the coil is seated well and you're getting a solid blue spark?

Not yet. It's back at the shop so that'll be the first thing I check tomorrow.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Whats this about a DRZ jetting excel file? I've been wanting to check my jets and this would be a huge help.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

BaronW posted:

Gear:
Also, I have a huge head. I borrowed a 3X HJC helmet during the class. Any recommendations for a big helmet (+ fits glasses)?

First, congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of two wheel travel.

While everyone else talks about abs I thought I would at least respond to this one.

I have a huge melon also, 3X or 4X depending on the helmet, and wear glasses usually. The most comfy helmet I've found is the Shoei RF1000 and it's newer replacement the RF1100. When I was searching for a new helmet about 6-7 yrs ago there were a poo poo load less helmet makers than there are now. It was basically either a BELL generic one or the RF1000. I've had 3 RF1000s now and am on my first RF1100. There are a couple other makers covering the huge head market now but when I was looking earlier this year it was the RF1100 that I chose. It is more expensive than some of the others but I've really liked mine and been comfortable in them. Also you can get the Pinlock system as a pre-installed shield which is awesome for keeping fog out of the shield.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Might anyone know what this thing is? I found it frayed and damaged under the seat. Its odd placement, hacky wiring and custom electrical tape cover lead me to believe it is part of the K40 radar detector the po installed, but the end there turns like it should be connected to something else. I'm hoping it's something I can toss because the circuit board looks pretty messed up.

traineehawking
Jan 29, 2008

For me, having sex with my girlfriend is about as exciting as eating a sandwich.
What else beside power are the wires running to? Maybe an old school ghetto power commander of sorts.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg

Bixington posted:

Apparently not yet. The dealer said there haven't been any publicly released yet and they expect them in October (maybe). I don't want to wait that long. :( This weekend I'm just going to go around and try sitting on dual sports and ninjas, seeing what feels right.

VVVV The option has a $500 MSRP, but I imagine they'll be in high demand VVVV

BaronW fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 27, 2011

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BaronW posted:

Apparently not yet. The dealer said there haven't been any publicly released yet and they expect them in October (maybe). I don't want to wait that long. :( This weekend I'm just going to go around and try sitting on dual sports and ninjas, seeing what feels right.

I wonder what the premium's gonna be for the ABS option. Extra grand or so?

For a 250, I wouldn't really wanna buy it cause I'd be upgrading soon-ish. :|

But it would be fantastic if this forces adoption from the other manufacturers to implement ABS in all of their bikes.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
ABS looks like it will be mandatory on all new 125cc+ bikes from 2017, at least in Europe : http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/mandatory-abs-set-for-motorcycles/18510.html

Sadly, it'll probably get protested against in the US as ABS is useless when you "had to lay 'er down"

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pinny posted:

ABS looks like it will be mandatory on all new 125cc+ bikes from 2017, at least in Europe : http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/mandatory-abs-set-for-motorcycles/18510.html

Sadly, it'll probably get protested against in the US as ABS is useless when you "had to lay 'er down"

:confused: "Tried to lay 'er down, stopped safely instead?!"

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

ReelBigLizard posted:

:confused: "Tried to lay 'er down, stopped safely instead?!"
You underestimate the ability of stupid people to intentionally lay 'er down.

I'm only opposed to mandatory ABS because it means all the new bikes will cost a few hundred bucks more.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BaronW posted:

getting a Honda CBR250R really appeals to me for a few reasons:
1) I like Hondas. My car is an Acura.

I have a CBR250R and it's my first bike. I love the drat thing, and I've been meaning to post a review for a while.

I've had it for about 3 weeks now and ride it daily to and from work. My commute is 100% city streets with speed limits of 45 MPH max, and this bike excels at those speeds. Lots of torque, easy to launch, great acceleration, and very easy to handle. Mine is sans-ABS, simply because they're so hard to find in the wild. The price premium is $500 for that option. That said, braking is very good and I've yet to lock up the rear brake, and not for no lack of trying in a practice environment. The Ninja250 in the MSF was a rear-locking-happy bike.

I've also ridden the bike on some backroads and twisties to the West of Houston. I'd say the bike does very well at 60mph, running around 6K RPM and is perfectly fine.

On a somewhat related note, but a bit of a tangent...
It's a bit annoying to me how people say 'oh, the Ninja goes over 100 MPH hurf durf' Who gives a poo poo? If I want to go 100+ MPH, I'll do it in my 325 with music and AC. Going that fast on a bike seems like asking for trouble. I rarely even approach 100 in my car and I don't ride the bike on the freeway since, to me, that's not the point of a motorcycle. I want to enjoy the ride, and freeways are just for getting where I want to go quickly, in my car. Anyway, moving on.

The CBR is a nice, smooth bike that's so trouble free. I don't have to worry about carbs gumming up, or choke, or any of that poo poo. Also, the vibration of this bike is highly overstated by people who have never ridden one and just assume single = vibrator. Yes, there's vibration, but it's seriously not a big deal. My buddy's Harley is soooo much worse.

Get a CBR250, you'll love it.

E: Also, the the gas milage is astounding and constantly improving. First tank: 68 MPG, 2nd:71, 3rd: 73 I'm hoping it'll keep getting better. At 471 Miles so far, first service is at 600 miles, which includes a valve adjustment. The next valve adjustment is at 12K or 16K miles I think.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 27, 2011

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Taco Box posted:

Awesome review of CBR250R.

It's $4,000?! Crap, now I want one to be a buddy for my F4i. That gas mileage sounds spectacular. And, judging from your review, the CBR250R has all the good points from when I owned a ninjette, but none of the "oh god pieces are falling off and my fork oil is leaking and I hafta choke it to within an inch of it's life to get it started in the morning" kinda stuff.

Thanks for posting the review. :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My newish Vstar grenaded its gearbox about 800 miles from home, last Saturday. Technician identified a defective bearing. Cases need to be split to make the $1900 repair before I need to find a way out to Rexburg Idaho [from the Seattle area] to pick it up, ride it home, and hope they put the whole drat engine back together properly so it doesn't re-maroon me and I have to take it back to them. Basically, gently caress me.

If this was your bike, how would you handle this situation and would you be as upset as I am right now?

edit to add: Does anybody close to halfway between Rexburg Idaho and Everett Washington have a couch I could crash on for a night? Spokane, Missoula, Pullman, or Boise would be good halfway stops. I can't afford this repair, let alone lodging for the trip home.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 27, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

My newish Vstar grenaded its gearbox about 800 miles from home, last Saturday. Technician identified a defective bearing. Cases need to be split to make the $1900 repair before I need to find a way out to Rexburg Idaho [from the Seattle area] to pick it up, ride it home, and hope they put the whole drat engine back together properly so it doesn't re-maroon me and I have to take it back to them.

If this was your bike, how would you handle this situation and would you be as upset as I am right now?

Sell the bike to the shop, fly home, buy something different.

I don't trust anything that hasn't had factory or my hands inside the gearbox. Most techs can't or aren't invested enough to properly reassemble a bike to factory spec. At 1900$ in repairs alone, I'd probably cut my losses, that's an engine swap and rebuild at your leisure project (read, leave engine pieces in a box in the garage for rest of your natural life).

Either that or rent a uhaul, toss the bike in the back, drive home, and swap engine at my leisure, because I'd rather have a relatively low mileage used engine in there than a potential timebomb.

Edit: And yes, I'd be loving pissed.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Sold my little Vulcan and picked up a brand new V Star 950. Love the bike, but the stock sound is a little tinny for my taste. I've ordered a Vance and Hines slip on exhaust. Since this is just a slip on will I need to recalibrate the ECM?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

crazyivan45 posted:

Sold my little Vulcan and picked up a brand new V Star 950. Love the bike, but the stock sound is a little tinny for my taste. I've ordered a Vance and Hines slip on exhaust. Since this is just a slip on will I need to recalibrate the ECM?

Depends how flexible your ECU is. You might get away with just resetting the ECU and letting it recalibrate, at worst you might need a dealer remap, which, depending on your dealer, could be a rip-off.

A quick Google reveals that many people with your bike just take a 1.5 inch hole saw to the end of the stock muffler and forgo aftermarket pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Sell the bike to the shop, fly home, buy something different.

I don't trust anything that hasn't had factory or my hands inside the gearbox. Most techs can't or aren't invested enough to properly reassemble a bike to factory spec. At 1900$ in repairs alone, I'd probably cut my losses, that's an engine swap and rebuild at your leisure project (read, leave engine pieces in a box in the garage for rest of your natural life).

Either that or rent a uhaul, toss the bike in the back, drive home, and swap engine at my leisure, because I'd rather have a relatively low mileage used engine in there than a potential timebomb.

Edit: And yes, I'd be loving pissed.

I am pretty much on the same page except that I think I am going to get it fixed, ride it home and hope it gets me there, put no miles on it while I have it on the market, and sell it in "good condition" for as close to $6,000 as I can get. Then shop for a deal closer to the end of the season.

Trade in value at a dealer is gonna be like $4500, and with the known issues, they'll probably offer no higher than $3000. So I don't really like the idea of just selling it there.

I have a out-of-warranty repair ticket in with Yamaha because this failure is completely out of the ordinary for my bike with any number of miles. If they come through I will be slightly less pissed at Yamaha but I'm probably not going to buy another, understanding now how they are engineered.

crazyivan45: my Vstar 1300 and your 950 are pretty closely related. I would keep a real close eye on your gearbox especially if it is in warranty!