Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
One more question for Judge, Jury, and Executioner: does choosing to (Taipei spoiler)prevent Sung's assassination count against it? One of the achievement write-ups I've found says you should prevent the riots instead. That doesn't make much sense to me, though, considering you're not really executing him either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I've gone through this game three times in the last week and I don't know if I'm playing it right, but I do know that I'm not playing it wrong.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

doctor iono posted:

One more question for Judge, Jury, and Executioner: does choosing to (Taipei spoiler)prevent Sung's assassination count against it? One of the achievement write-ups I've found says you should prevent the riots instead. That doesn't make much sense to me, though, considering you're not really executing him either way.

I don't think it technically does count against it, no, so you should be fine, but for safety's sake, I'd consider it anyway, just in case.

member001
Feb 19, 2011
Are people dying?
Are people being very annoyed at you as you push the 'smug' to the maximum?
If yes to both of these answers, you are playing it RIGHT! :v:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

gohuskies posted:

That was me - you have the conversation with Marburg before the conversation with Parker, and if you tell Marburg about Deus Vult, the option to tell Parker about Madison doesn't come up.

Actually it does. Well, it did for me anyway. I both gave Marburg the Deus Vult speech and told Parker about Marburg trying to kill Madison (I chose Madison over the bombs that particular run) The game just acted like I hadn't had the conversation with Parker at all, though, and played the Deus Vult cutscene where Marburg kills Parker.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Do the dialogue options change based on your level of reputation with a character? For example, if you're near the end of the game and you're in a conversation with Mina and choose an aggressive option, does the content of that dialogue line change if you have a +9 rep vs. a -9 rep with her?

Or say you've consistently chosen professional options with her and you finally choose an aggressive option, would the content of the line be different from what you'd get if you had always chosen the aggressive options?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

Do the dialogue options change based on your level of reputation with a character? For example, if you're near the end of the game and you're in a conversation with Mina and choose an aggressive option, does the content of that dialogue line change if you have a +9 rep vs. a -9 rep with her?

Or say you've consistently chosen professional options with her and you finally choose an aggressive option, would the content of the line be different from what you'd get if you had always chosen the aggressive options?

Suave options change considerably if you've got negative rep with Mina, I know that much. She gives any flirting attempts the cold shoulder, but when Mike jokes around she's either surprised or trying hard not to be amused.

Scarlet's also got considerable variety in responses. There's two or three different conversation trees in the airplane encounter alone, depending on which responses you pick first.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rabbit Hill posted:

The game does this for a good number of lines. Often times, it's just the same line with a different reading, to make it pissed off or snarky or terse. On top of that, they can have reputation based differences in the dialogue as well, which leads to "This loving game" level of variability to a single line.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Suave options change considerably if you've got negative rep with Mina, I know that much. She gives any flirting attempts the cold shoulder, but when Mike jokes around she's either surprised or trying hard not to be amused.

Scarlet's also got considerable variety in responses. There's two or three different conversation trees in the airplane encounter alone, depending on which responses you pick first.

I remember being really impressed by Scarlet's airplane talk after my first couple times through; she can be anything from playfully joking around with Mike, to pure business wheeling and dealing, to immediately regretting sitting down next to that rear end in a top hat.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
Finally beat the game with dialogue options turned off.Shaheed, Sis, Parker and Leland died, SIE got flayed by Brayko whom I let go away, Sung is alive, Halbech got exposed, Thorton ran away on a boat with two chicks he didn't even get to bang. By the way, what was the point of choosing Heck as the final handler? He yelled something at me in the beginning and after I saved Scarlet, he never appeared again.
Anyway it was great and now I'm going to replay it as a recruit, maybe while knowing what the gently caress am I going to say

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

I remember being really impressed by Scarlet's airplane talk after my first couple times through; she can be anything from playfully joking around with Mike, to pure business wheeling and dealing, to immediately regretting sitting down next to that rear end in a top hat.

Equally a lot of characters will call attention to an inconsistent or confusing approach in conversations. It's brilliant to run rings around people and have them not know what the gently caress.

Although, admittedly, this can also make certain people - PARKER - be less inclined to believe you on the rare occasions you are being honest. :v:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Finally beat the game with dialogue options turned off.Shaheed, Sis, Parker and Leland died, SIE got flayed by Brayko whom I let go away, Sung is alive, Halbech got exposed, Thorton ran away on a boat with two chicks he didn't even get to bang. By the way, what was the point of choosing Heck as the final handler? He yelled something at me in the beginning and after I saved Scarlet, he never appeared again.
Anyway it was great and now I'm going to replay it as a recruit, maybe while knowing what the gently caress am I going to say

If you don't save Scarlet, Heck is a very prominent part of the mission. He even shoots and kills Scarlet for you!.

I think the idea of characters believing you based on your reputation is brilliant and something that more studios should integrate. Then again, I could say that about tons of Obsidian design decisions :(

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I'm only on the first mission and I'm stuck already, because I guess I am dumb.

I went to the airport and killed everybody but now I have no idea where to go. Well, I have one idea, because it kind of looks like I'm supposed to jump across here:

I can't figure out how, though. I don't think there's a jump button.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Haledjian posted:

I went to the airport and killed everybody but now I have no idea where to go. Well, I have one idea, because it kind of looks like I'm supposed to jump across here:

You're already on the side you need to go to. :ssh: Run to the right in that picture and it should trigger the next stage of the place, if not there's probably some bug hitting you.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Haledjian posted:

You can only jump where there are prompts.

I don't know that level well enough to say where you need to go, though, sorry.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Unfortunately the only thing on the right is some boxes and the door I came out of, which leads to a warehouse full of dead bodies of people I have killed.

(on the left is more boxes.)

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Go back into the building, down the ladder. Out the side you face coming down the ladder and into the next warehouse. I'm pretty sure that's where you're at judging by the two screenshots.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Oh, okay, I thought you did what I did and got turned around. :downs: In that case you should go back down, through that hangar, and into the hangar across the little main road/street from it. Inside there should be a computer you can hack to turn off the cameras, then further back a door set into the same wall the computer is against. Go through that door and the mission should proceed. This walkthrough should show the way from where you currently are.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

doctor iono posted:

If you don't save Scarlet, Heck is a very prominent part of the mission. He even shoots and kills Scarlet for you!.

Oh man Heck blows.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Oh man Heck blows.

I have a feeling that after your next playthrough, you're going to look at this post and laaaaaaugh.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I picked up AP on a whim on Thursday, and am having a blast with it so far. I just completed the Moscow missions and am loving it.

One question, though:

I have the game for 360. I've seen little in the way of bugs, however, my character likes to randomly walk to the right for no reason. I can have the controller sitting on a table and out of nowhere he'll just truck on over to the right.

This obviously fucks me over quite a bit.

I have unfortunately not been able to update the game (no internet at home until July 30). Is this fixed in a patch or is it a controller issue? I haven't ever had a problem in any other game with this particular, fairly new, controller.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Oh man Heck blows.

You don't think he might have had a good reason for doing it, that you just don't know about yet?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

The Automator posted:

I have the game for 360. I've seen little in the way of bugs, however, my character likes to randomly walk to the right for no reason. I can have the controller sitting on a table and out of nowhere he'll just truck on over to the right.

I have unfortunately not been able to update the game (no internet at home until July 30). Is this fixed in a patch or is it a controller issue? I haven't ever had a problem in any other game with this particular, fairly new, controller.
I played through four or five times on the 360 and never had an issue like that. I've never heard of it affecting anyone else, either. I don't want to say for sure it's a controller issue, but it's not a common bug in the game.

There hasn't actually been a patch released for the console versions of the game either, just a small one for the PC, so you don't need to worry about getting up-to-date.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Hannibal Smith posted:

I played through four or five times on the 360 and never had an issue like that. I've never heard of it affecting anyone else, either. I don't want to say for sure it's a controller issue, but it's not a common bug in the game.

There hasn't actually been a patch released for the console versions of the game either, just a small one for the PC, so you don't need to worry about getting up-to-date.

Ah, okay. I'll try one of my wired controllers and see if the issue persists. I googled the problem and didn't get any hits, either.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

The Automator posted:

I picked up AP on a whim on Thursday, and am having a blast with it so far. I just completed the Moscow missions and am loving it.

One question, though:

This usually happens either because 1. The stick was pushed to the side when you turned the console on and that position was set as neutral, or 2. your controller is wearing out. In the first instance, restarting your console will fix it, and in the second you'll need a new controller.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Category Fun! posted:

This usually happens either because 1. The stick was pushed to the side when you turned the console on and that position was set as neutral, or 2. your controller is wearing out. In the first instance, restarting your console will fix it, and in the second you'll need a new controller.

I once returned a copy of South Park on the N64 and a third-party controller due to not knowing this. That said, since South Park was a terrible game, and pretty much all third-party N64 controllers were pretty uncomfortable, I think it worked out for the best.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The Automator posted:

One question, though:

lovely dead-zone detection is all. I have two controllers both exhibiting some variant. The black pack-in goes slightly to the left all the time; my other, quite new one goes forward all the time.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah, I just bought this guy in February, it's one of the fancy new silver pads with the rotating d-pad. It hasn't shown this issue in any other games ever, so I figured it must be AP. Apparently not!

Thanks dudes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gohuskies posted:

You don't think he might have had a good reason for doing it, that you just don't know about yet?

Yeah when I think "has a good reason for doing things" I think Steven "The Goddamn Bees" Heck.

e: good reason is not the same as hilarious reason

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Penguingo posted:

Yeah when I think "has a good reason for doing things" I think Steven "The Goddamn Bees" Heck.

e: good reason is not the same as hilarious reason

Well when she pulls a gun on you, I think that's a pretty good reason for Heck to shoot her. I figured that the guy I was quoting didn't know that that was the context for Heck shooting her.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

For a game that gives you so much choice, why can't you, in the final mission, choose to get killed by Leland and his hired assassin?

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
ARghghgh I was absolutely loving this game until my first boss fight in Taipei and now I'm too frustrated to play anymore. I'm playing a stealth/pistols/tech guy and can't get Omen Deng down below about half health, and that's with whittling away about 1/6th of it in the parts when you're chasing him. He beats me to poo poo when I let him get close enough since I have about 2 points in martial arts, and I only have basic chain shot and it does barely any damage anyway. And I don't have any remote mines or grenades left. Up until now I've pretty much only done takedowns so I don't actually know how the combat works in this game except that I'm bad at it? At this point I'm nearly giving up with this game, it's too annoying to retry this 30 more times. I wish there was a way you could re-spec!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

ARghghgh I was absolutely loving this game until my first boss fight in Taipei and now I'm too frustrated to play anymore. I'm playing a stealth/pistols/tech guy and can't get Omen Deng down below about half health, and that's with whittling away about 1/6th of it in the parts when you're chasing him. He beats me to poo poo when I let him get close enough since I have about 2 points in martial arts, and I only have basic chain shot and it does barely any damage anyway. And I don't have any remote mines or grenades left. Up until now I've pretty much only done takedowns so I don't actually know how the combat works in this game except that I'm bad at it? At this point I'm nearly giving up with this game, it's too annoying to retry this 30 more times. I wish there was a way you could re-spec!

Sounds like you might not be using chain shot correctly. You want to wait till he is visible, then hit the chain shot button. Wait until the reticule is down to critical then click off all your shots on his head.

Took me two chains to his head and a kick or two to get him down, that was on normal difficulty.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Try changing your ammo type when in a boss fight. If you are having a problem with him beating you up in melee just run away from him until your chain-shot has recharged. Seeing as you are a stealth guy then at the points when he disappears then you should take that opportunity to hide yourself behind some pillars. It's a pity you don't have any traps left as that is an ideal battleground for using them.
What difficulty are you playing at?

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Thanks guys, I'll try that stuff. I might not be using chain shot correctly, are you supposed to only have about 3-5 seconds to aim and shoot? Like I said, I suck at combat in this game. I'm playing on normal. I have brilliance too, so I'll try focusing on chain-shotting him in the head this time.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks guys, I'll try that stuff. I might not be using chain shot correctly, are you supposed to only have about 3-5 seconds to aim and shoot? Like I said, I suck at combat in this game. I'm playing on normal. I have brilliance too, so I'll try focusing on chain-shotting him in the head this time.

And you can wait for a critical hit with chain shot as well. So you wait for him to be visible near you, hit chain shot, wait for crit on his head, and then put two crit hits on his head, then immediately hit brilliance, and immediately do another double crit chain shot. You need to be quick about activating the abilities and be in a position where you have an open shot on his head at crit range but doing this ought to knock off a pretty big chunk of his health.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
first, a vent on the PC version key remap stupidity:

seriously... why 'i'??? of all the stupid keys to not let me remap... ridiculous. the first time i installed the game, i got so mad at not being able to remap 'i' that i quit the game, and never tried again, until reading this thread, and saw all the raves about it. then i go in and try again, and get pissed AGAIN. idiots, whoever programmed this.

so, i get over that and my PC snobbery, and plug in my ps3 controller, and am having a terrific time. this game is fantastic! i'm playing through as a noob, er Rookie, and it's working really well. Thanks for the all the recommendations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Don't forget the game always makes an autosave everytime you leave the safehouse, so if you don't mind replaying the mission you can load from that checkpoint to stock up on supplies before going in. That fight is a cakewalk if you line the pillars with frag grenades when he's hiding.

Also, if all else fails, you can go to another hub and gain some more experience before doing that mission again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I got the game last week when it was on sale, and I'm loving it so far. I haven't really seen the "everything you do effects the game" part yet (at least I assume) but going on missions is pretty great. The sneaking took a bit of getting used to, but now I'm able to get behind every guard in the stage. I have to ask though, will the entire game be this simple?

Also, do people ever react to your customized face? I got kind of bored of my lumberjack + fishing hat combo, but I'd change back if it got a response out of anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Momomo posted:

I got the game last week when it was on sale, and I'm loving it so far. I haven't really seen the "everything you do effects the game" part yet (at least I assume) but going on missions is pretty great. The sneaking took a bit of getting used to, but now I'm able to get behind every guard in the stage. I have to ask though, will the entire game be this simple?

Also, do people ever react to your customized face? I got kind of bored of my lumberjack + fishing hat combo, but I'd change back if it got a response out of anyone.

Once you get used to certain playstyle, the difficulty never changes, only spikes on certain boss encounters if you aren't well prepared.

People don't respond to facial changes, although there are many instances where the way you dress affects how people act around you.

Play through the game twice, and you will see why people praise it for its reactivity.

• Locked thread