Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I need to look into source engine scripting, I think it'd be funny to wire up like a dozen triggers to myself. "DONT MESS WITH CLAN [ASSFUCK]" whenever I kill someone, the entire speech from Atlas Shrugged whenever I capture a control point, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Code Jockey posted:

the entire speech from Atlas Shrugged whenever I capture a control point

That would be amazing if it did it one sentence at a time, with appropriate pauses to let everyone read each line.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

That would be amazing if it did it one sentence at a time, with appropriate pauses to let everyone read each line.

You Could always just bind the numpad keys to each sentence and hit them in order.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jzmisgoo posted:

You Could always just bind the numpad keys to each sentence and hit them in order.

That would require a numpad so large I'm pretty sure it would cover the state of California.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

What's funny is that I set out to grief people playing combat medic the other day, but a) actually did pretty well on a few matches and b) had a lot of fun doing it because combat medic owns

Now occasionaally I was playing horribly badly [and laughing my rear end off the entire time] on purpose sure but when I put effort into it and actually started racking up kills is when people started to notice and get mad, it's funny in a way

*sees medic charge into battle and get ripped to shreds*
*sees a bunch of people get killed by syringes in the kill announcements*
HEY MEDIC GO UBER PEOPLE DO UR JOB

e. a fun response to this is always "You're lame if you need to be made invulnerable to actually be good at TF2"

The biggest thing I miss from the transition from Team Fortress to TF2 is that you can't do rear-echelon attacks on the enemy with the Medic. In TF1 (and TFC, I believe), the Medic had a medkit that doubled as a melee attack. If you touched the enemy with a medkit, they'd become infected with a biological weapon. The bioweapon attack could also be spread to other enemies in proximity with the infected enemy. You can not imagine how this actually played out. It was such a delight in seeing a rigid formation suddenly dissolve, especially if they were far from the health dispensers at base and had no Medic of their own. I'd hide in the underwater pipes in 2Fort, waiting for a low-hit point Scout to zip by and hit him with a medkit and watch him die from "unknown" causes. If you came across a flag carrier team, a single medkit delivered in a suicide charge would completely ruin their chances of making it back to base, let alone delivering the flag back there. Killing Spies was easy with the Medic, as you could tell who the Spy was when they suddenly cough up a lung.

With the Medic's heavy nailgun (an awesome gun), regenerating health (a big boon in a game were everyone else needs medkits to heal), concussion grenades (which allowed Medics to grenade-jump into places they could not normally reach) and the immunity to opposing Medics' bioweapons, I could break off and go on the offensive in a way that the TF2's Medic could only dream.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ballrawg posted:

That would require a numpad so large I'm pretty sure it would cover the state of California.

Not to mention the sheer amount of time involved. Of course, the idea of just standing, maybe in the spawn, and hitting a key... waiting... hitting a key... waiting... is hilarious to me.

... god help TF2/CS:S if they someday add some kind of text-to-speech function, because I'm doing this thing if they do. Running around the battlefield, screaming at the top of my computer generated lungs about the merits of objectivism using some kind of automated script. "Say line X, wait 10 seconds, say line X+1, wait 10 seconds..."

Also, Freud, thanks for reminding me how badass the TF medic was. I totally forgot the medpack of death, and it was my favorite when I used to play that. Of course I hated it when I was actually making an effort and one of those fuckers would pop out from nowhere then WHAM DISEASED

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Jzmisgoo posted:

Keep in mind this is a speech that literally takes more than three hours to read out loud.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

fineX posted:

I play against people like you a lot who just call people fat nerds in all caps. My response is usually to troll them back by pretending to be upset while they get more and more fervent in their insults. The meta-grief is the best grief. Ever considered someone is doing the same to you? Obviously I don't point out to the "griefer" that I was meta-trolling them.

Nobody actually plays Team Fortress. Just trolls trollin' trolls.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Jzmisgoo posted:

A better way would be to map it to a single key that prints out the current line and immediately re-binds itself to the spit out the next line. You might even be able to automate a few with waits, but I don't know what the character limit on binds are.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

A better way would be to map it to a single key that prints out the current line and immediately re-binds itself to the spit out the next line. You might even be able to automate a few with waits, but I don't know what the character limit on binds are.

You can make it call from a document I am pretty sure so yeah.....

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Alternatively you could just play the audio-book version of Atlas Shrugged over your mic.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

Alternatively you could just play the audio-book version of Atlas Shrugged over your mic.
:lol:

The only problem with a continuous stream like that is that it wouldn't give people as much of a chance to disagree and start arguing with each other.

Clearly, the perfect version of this grief (troll?) would be to have an Atlas Shrugged audio-book soundboard.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Ballrawg posted:

Sorry about your tiny lame rear end keyboard bro :smug:

But seriously I meant that it's possible to bind keys to spout long rambling text.

Also in TF2 if you and a friend are able to get the intel on a ctf, hide somewhere and mash the drop briefcase button (usually bound to L) you will both constantly drop and pickup the briefcase that spams the top right of everyone on the servers' screens about their case being taken/dropped while the announcer freaks out and going "The briefcase has been The Enemy has the Someone has stolen The enemy team" so on and so forth until a teammate comes over to you in which case you stop hitting the button and just sit there not capping the intel while everyone gets super pissed at you.

Jzmisgoo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 26, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't you just make an alias with endless say and wait commands then bind the alias to a key?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I had some great times in Everquest when they released the permadeath server. I had a little halfling named Trainyulots, who was level 1. I'd just run and grab a bunch of mobs, run up to another player and die, causing the mobs to kill them, and them to lose all their equipment and levels.

I always used to send them a message saying "No hard feelings, right?" Most of them would actually think it was pretty funny, but one guy was like "NO HARD FEELINGS? MOTHERFUCKER THAT WAS NINE HOURS OF MY TIME."

I miss everquest. :(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

Clearly, the perfect version of this grief (troll?) would be to have an Atlas Shrugged audio-book soundboard.

3,000 different iterations of "Who is John Galt?" would be enough to make any non-libertarian quit.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

angry just thinking about it

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I used to be able to anger people by ubering engineers, sad that doesn't work anymore either

Thinking about playing a new angle but I'm not really sure what to do, what are some still-effective TF2 griefs beyond just combat medic-ing

I heard some engineers get yelled at for bad turret placement but that's bush league
I still stick to the classics, grief wise.

I usually go pyro and stand in front of snipers, flamethrower blaring all the way. This fucks with their aim and they get mad. Everyone knows that snipers are spy food, I just tell the guy that I'm watching out for him because he's the MVP and what he does matters. No spy is going to kill our trump card. Not if I have anything to say about that.

Sometimes I like to try sneaking teleporter entrances next to snipers who are too occupied scoping to notice. The exit is usually located near the intel if the map allows. I just tell him I saw a spy going for it and he needs to head the spy off with some jarate action.

There's also the shooting gallery. On 2fort, simply get a dead ringer ready, and disguise as a friendly sniper. Then just gently caress around on the balcony and get shot at. The other snipers rage so hard when the match ends and they see that their score hasn't budged an inch.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

If you can get a friend on the other team, you can grief with teleporters pretty easily. Stick it facing a wall and have the other guy go spy and camp it, or build it in reverse so that he can get into your spawn area. Build it next to a drop and have a pyro airblast people off. Build it where anyone going through gets instantly destroyed by enemy sentries. Build it in a spot where no one can leave, or build it so it sends them backwards, away from the fighting. Or, if you want subtlety, build it on a flight of stairs so that people have to stop and jump over it. Added points if the exit and the entrance are on the same stairs, so that anyone trying to get over will be teleported back to the bottom of the stairs.

Also fun, and less likely to get you banned, is going Spy with the regular watch and following Engineers around, stealing all of the metal they go to pick up. Or doing Catch and Release as a medic, where you build uber on someone, then tell them to charge in and you'll activate it. Then don't, and laugh at them when they die.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

sitchelin posted:

Sometimes I like to try sneaking teleporter entrances next to snipers who are too occupied scoping to notice. The exit is usually located near the intel if the map allows. I just tell him I saw a spy going for it and he needs to head the spy off with some jarate action.

Ahh, good old sniper-porters. I joined a 2fort server with intentions of sniping (yes I know, I just wanted to warm up). It turned out we had five snipers already. Five terrible snipers. This was before the F2P update, by the way. I go Engineer, and set up a sentry by the battlements. I put down a dispenser, and upgraded it while watching the snipers. They were funneling down the same path, so I went down to the intel, and put my exit there. I made sure to rotate it so they would come out facing the intel (HINT HINT).

When I got back up to the battlements, I carefully placed my entrance. I put it right in the spot where a sniper would scope and start inching out. Or where they strafed back after missing a shot. It worked amazingly. Sniper after Sniper vanished, falling for it over and over. I got one sniper three times in a row. He started yelling at me over the mic to move the entrance, and made sure to avoid the teleport. He was so busy avoiding it, he stepped into the open and got shot. This was also happening to the other snipers as well.

Eventually, the snipers figured out a cunning plan. Raging in chat and hitting me with their kukri as I spammed my laugh taunt wasn't working. They started sniping from the other side of the battlements. It took me moments to get a teleporter set up on that side, and the same thing started happening. Since they started avoiding it, I found that sometimes if I crouch-walked into them, I was able to slowly shove them into the teleport. I must have spent close to an hour teleporting snipers.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Tsurupettan posted:

To contribute to the discussion, I remember taking teammates for a long, long ride in Tribes 1 & 2 back in the day. :unsmith:

I once changed my name to something like "Tour Guide" on either old tribes or when tribes 2 was revitalized for free recently for awhile. People would load up in a gunship, totally ignore my name and then expect me to take them to the enemy base.

Instead, i'd give them a slow-flying detailed tour of the map as I explained the historical significance of various useless places. When people would ask me to fly to the enemy base i'd only reply with "Sorry, that location is last on our tour. Cake and refreshments will be served when we arrive."

Once, ONCE a guy went through the whole tour. He managed to get the enemy flag out and even got back on the gunship for a ride back. This is why you stay for the whole tour.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

3,000 different iterations of "Who is John Galt?" would be enough to make any non-libertarian quit.

That would be bound to one key, for easy spamming.

For the libertarians, you just need to call them useless parasites whenever you kill them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dauntasa posted:

Also fun, and less likely to get you banned, is going Spy with the regular watch and following Engineers around, stealing all of the metal they go to pick up. Or doing Catch and Release as a medic, where you build uber on someone, then tell them to charge in and you'll activate it. Then don't, and laugh at them when they die.

Aaaaand there it is, holy poo poo. Why did I never think of this.

"GO HEAL PEOPLE CODE JOCKEY"
"Okay okay fine"
"WTF WHY DIDNT U UBER NOOB"
"I was only told to heal, make up your loving minds!"

Polka_Rapper posted:

Ahaha jesus this is wonderful, hello new engineer grief! Well, new to me, anyway.

e. and I also really really want an atlas shrugged soundboard now

e2. I think I'm going to change my name to "The Objectivist Medic". I won't heal anyone [heal yourselves, loving parasites, I owe you nothing] and won't shoot anyone either [I'll be damned if I give my bullets away for free]. What I will do is educate everyone in chat about objectivism, because that is one thing most randroids aren't afraid to give away, free lectures. :v:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 26, 2011

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just remembered an Engineer classic: Goatseporting. It's simple, just make a custom spray of the goatman, spray it somewhere inconspicuous and miles away from the action, and drop a teleporter exit facing it.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Haha, that's loving twisted as hell

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

sitchelin posted:

I just remembered an Engineer classic: Goatseporting. It's simple, just make a custom spray of the goatman, spray it somewhere inconspicuous and miles away from the action, and drop a teleporter exit facing it.

Nonono. You make the teleporter in a very useful location, so people want to keep taking it, but it faces some horrible spray.
:eng101:

In Rainbows
Feb 26, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

I need to look into source engine scripting, I think it'd be funny to wire up like a dozen triggers to myself. "DONT MESS WITH CLAN [ASSFUCK]" whenever I kill someone, the entire speech from Atlas Shrugged whenever I capture a control point, etc

In the game Heroes of Newerth, a DOTA-like, there is a mod available in the thread here called "chat assist." What it does is that upon every kill or death, instantly types various insults. There's also a polite mode, which is basically passive-aggressive, with things like "Playing a luck character is no way to get any better."

It can also be set to rage on teammate's deaths, as well. It's hilarious when people start responding to it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

OrangeSoda posted:

I once changed my name to something like "Tour Guide" on either old tribes or when tribes 2 was revitalized for free recently for awhile. People would load up in a gunship, totally ignore my name and then expect me to take them to the enemy base.

Instead, i'd give them a slow-flying detailed tour of the map as I explained the historical significance of various useless places. When people would ask me to fly to the enemy base i'd only reply with "Sorry, that location is last on our tour. Cake and refreshments will be served when we arrive."

Once, ONCE a guy went through the whole tour. He managed to get the enemy flag out and even got back on the gunship for a ride back. This is why you stay for the whole tour.

Hah, I used to do this in Battlefield 2142 with the air transports on the really huge maps like Shuhia Taiba and Suez Canal. It worked out best on conquest mode since aircraft won't spawn as often so I'd take languorous trips around the desolate edges where anyone jumping out would face at least a 5 minute walk back to civilization. It helped that the maps were so well thought out that you could take actual interest in pointing out dried-up gorges and agricultural fields and riverbeds. Usually jerks in gunships came along to ruin things prematurely though.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Forgive me for not knowing much about TF2, but would a decent grief be a two-person job, where it's just two medics ubering each other?

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

liquidypoo posted:

Forgive me for not knowing much about TF2, but would a decent grief be a two-person job, where it's just two medics ubering each other?

Sadly this is actually what some consider a valid play style. Battle medics who run around with a melee weapon (Uber Saw) that builds uber so that once the current charge runs out they just switch.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

liquidypoo posted:

That's not such a bad idea. I had some medics do this to me during setup phase a few times, but they never actually ubered me, just charged up off of me. I thought this same thing when they did it, "You know, I bet it'd be funny if we ubered..."

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Slappy Moose posted:

Nonono. You make the teleporter in a very useful location, so people want to keep taking it, but it faces some horrible spray.
:eng101:

That one's good too. I've always found inconvenience to be a great source of anguish however. Either way works. People are gullible as hell when you tell them "okay for real guys this tele goes to the cart im serious."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well, The Objectivist Medic is a schtick I'm going with for a while it looks like. It was fairly effective on the second server I played, though eventually people gave up and started rolling with the punches. :argh:

One thing is amusing though - the first server I tried it with, I decided to go all out [not shoot anyone, not heal anyone, just wander around] and... uhh... I walked right past the enemy team, right into their base. No one fired a shot. :psyduck: I stayed there all match too, hiding out, and set a new record for how long I'd been alive in a match. :v:

I guess they thought I was a spy?

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
If you spend too long in tf2 calling people fat nerds and typing long sentences then you are missing the point. Bind "owned" to a key and hit it every time you kill anybody. If somebody kills you and then trash talks, say "owned". If anything happens at all say "owned".

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
A little while back, I got into playing Synergy, which is basically Co-op mode for Half Life 2. Though what game I was playing is pretty irrelevant to the story.

Anyway, I put my name to 'a Robot that plays video games'. and Loaded up HLDJ with a folder full of R2D2 sounds. As I was playing, I'd randomly pick and play samples from the folder. I'd run into walls and occaisionally type "Processing" into chat followed by using the rapid flashlight flicker script.

Some people were amused. Some people were annoyed. Some people might have actually thought I was a real robot that plays video games.

People would talk with the robot, only getting random beeps and chirps back, but carried on conversations like they weren't one sided, Some guy doing a really bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression teamed up with the robot to fight the combine and make as much noise as possible.

One Russian guy got really angry, Though I think he was angry at everything anyway. He kept telling me to shut up, I'd beepboop more. He'd hurl more insults, everyone stepped in to defend me, "Leave the robot alone!" "The Robot's cool man!" The russian started shouting "BEEP BEEP STUPID BEEP gently caress ROBUT"

"Processing." flicker of flashlight. "Error" then I typed explode into the console. Which made me die in a mess of gibs.

They vote kicked the angry russian. :ussr:

Maybe one day the robot will come back. When we figure out how to sanitize audio data...

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Well, The Objectivist Medic is a schtick I'm going with for a while it looks like. It was fairly effective on the second server I played, though eventually people gave up and started rolling with the punches. :argh:

You should announce that you'll only heal people in exchange for TF2 items. No Socialist Obamacare on this team!

liquidypoo posted:

If you have your friend as a spy on the other team, you can actually heal and even uber him while he's disguised, so he can cause all kinds of mayhem while constantly being healed by you.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

El Negocio posted:

If you have your friend as a spy on the other team, you can actually heal and even uber him while he's disguised, so he can cause all kinds of mayhem while constantly being healed by you.

A few years ago you could heal/uber an enemy spy after he had revealed himself and get assist points while he murdered your teammates. A friend and I went on a rampage doing this for the better part of two hours one night and I'm pretty sure that's what got it patched out the following week.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Logtar posted:

Exactly this. Silent servers are a no go for griefing, you have to find one with an active community. I went into an EGO server on CS:S last night and it went like this:

admin: Change your name
Bill loving Murray: No.
*You have been banned for reason: offensive name*

loving EGO servers are so dumb.
You went into a server that explicitly says no cursing and you are somehow surprised you got banned.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If it's stylised eGO(?) and CS:S (though 1.6 might be in there too), isn't that clan primarily comprised of 9-11 year olds with one of their parents paying for the servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
A friend of mine once griefed a BF2142 server by accident. He was flying a transport full of dudes to the enemy titan, skirting the map edge to avoid gunships, when suddenly his wireless keyboard ran out of juice.

I hear him yelling "Dude, bail!" on TS, so I did. Unfortunately, the rest of the passengers were just random dudes who had no idea what was going on. I bail in the pod, hit the ground, and then watch as the transport slowly wallows out of bounds while the passengers lit up chat and started bitching and bailing.

Cue six lines of "RANDOM DUDE HAS DIED" (from out of bounds punishment) while the bitching reaches a whole new level. One of the passengers was so angry that he said something like "I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO FLY, RETARD". He grabs the driver's seat on the next transport, and the random dudes pile in. He is so angry/incompetent that he forgets to gain altitude off the titan launch deck before flying forward, catches the nose of the transport on the deck lip, and flips the thing end over end on the titan's nose, blowing it up and killing the passengers yet again.

Yeah, we didn't win that round.

• Locked thread