Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

etalian posted:

I find the more direct combat builds to be pretty boring since it turns the game into a bland shooter and it really doesn't have enough unique gear/bad guys to make a fun shoote em' up game.

Much more fun to try ghosting through all the levels without getting detected plus wrecking people with all the traps.

I totally agree with this and didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just hate waiting around on cooldowns or guard patrols and wish it didn't have that trade off. Especially since the main draw of the game is the reactive story, it is sometimes worth it to me to just get through the levels faster.

vvv I ended up getting it on my first time through the game. Amusingly, I actually got it at the end of the ruins in Rome, but boy was that end fight a bitch!

seorin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pacifist runs have some surprising benefits. If you nonlethally take down a ton of guys, you get this huge boost to your endurance eventually.

Despite my love of stealth, I still haven't gotten that "One with the shadows" achievement. I keep screwing it up somehow.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Speedball posted:

Pacifist runs have some surprising benefits. If you nonlethally take down a ton of guys, you get this huge boost to your endurance eventually.

Despite my love of stealth, I still haven't gotten that "One with the shadows" achievement. I keep screwing it up somehow.

It's hard to do cause there's only like 3 or 4 levels that you won't be spotted on. The ones I can remember where it's doable are the airfield, the listening post, and molotek offices.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Is that true on the PC version? I know there are some levels where an alarm goes off automatically, but those seemed like the exception rather than the rule, and if you're a masochist like me, you can actually do any other (non-boss) level without being spotted (if you're willing to wait on cooldowns and use them liberally).

I did think it was true until I got the achievement myself on a level I thought there was no way in hell I'd get it on. Next time I go through the game, I may have to test it more intentionally.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Torsade de Pointes posted:

It's hard to do cause there's only like 3 or 4 levels that you won't be spotted on. The ones I can remember where it's doable are the airfield, the listening post, and molotek offices.

The other two are the G22 warehouse in Taipei and the Nasri mission (the final room is really tricky, but doable).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

seorin posted:

vvv I ended up getting it on my first time through the game. Amusingly, I actually got it at the end of the ruins in Rome, but boy was that end fight a bitch!

Sort of helps if you are gadget expert and have piles of traps to play with.

The comm dish has lots of chokepoints around it meaning a few shock traps or other goodies can really help you make the fight much more manegable. Especially since it allows you to focus on guarding one chokepoint while your traps protect the other routes.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

seorin posted:

Is that true on the PC version? I know there are some levels where an alarm goes off automatically, but those seemed like the exception rather than the rule, and if you're a masochist like me, you can actually do any other (non-boss) level without being spotted (if you're willing to wait on cooldowns and use them liberally).

I did think it was true until I got the achievement myself on a level I thought there was no way in hell I'd get it on. Next time I go through the game, I may have to test it more intentionally.

Doesn't have to be an alarm necessarily. Basically, no enemy awareness icon can turn red from what I understand. From what I recall, at least half the levels are impossible.

Saudi ArabiaThe Jizan stockpile and Intercept Shaaheed missions are not doable. You will always be spotted. I know you can do the airfield, not sure about Nasri's palace. You can talk your way through the beginning, but I'm not sure if that counts for being spotted. It's still very hard to do on these levels cause you don't have much of the stealth abilities unlocked.

RomeI don't believe the Chateau, NSA Gelato shop, Contacting Madison, or talking to Marburg at the cafe missions count for this perk. The CIA hub is possible. You will always be spotted during the warehouse, Marburg's mansion, ruins transmission, and museum missions.

TaipeiAgain, I don't believe contacting Heck, President Sung, or Hong Shi count towards the perk. The Warehouse is probably doable. You will always be spotted during the Triad, NSB Conference, Intercepting the Assassination Plan, and the Rally missions.

MoscowContacting Grigori or Surkov doesn't count. You will always be spotted during the Trainyard, Lazo's Yacht, The Embassy, and Brako's mansion. The last optional mission with Molotek is doable if you take Surkov's deal.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 27, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Saudi ArabiaThe Jizan stockpile and Intercept Shaaheed missions are not doable. You will always be spotted. I know you can do the airfield, not sure about Nasri's palace. You can talk your way through the beginning, but I'm not sure if that counts for being spotted. It's still very hard to do on these levels cause you don't have much of the stealth abilities unlocked.

Nasri's isn't possible. Bluffing your way past the guards only gets you through the front gate, the alarm goes off 10 seconds after the next checkpoint loads and the guards call in to report your arrival

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Slantedfloors posted:

Nasri's isn't possible. Bluffing your way past the guards only gets you through the front gate, the alarm goes off 10 seconds after the next checkpoint loads and the guards call in to report your arrival

If you use the aggressive response, they just let you in. They never check to see if you're supposed to be there and there is no alarm sounded. I was just unsure if talking to them at the beginning has any effect on the perk if you take that option.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Doesn't have to be an alarm necessarily. Basically, no enemy awareness icon can turn red from what I understand. From what I recall, at least half the levels are impossible.

You're right, there are a lot more than I remembered, mostly due to forced allies. Still, I suspect there are a few you'd be surprised and it's still possible, just difficult. I think they actually have to spot you, not just have a red arrow. At the end of the Rome ruins, the guys that spawn start with red arrows, right? I got the achievement there by cheesing invisibility (without brilliance, even; I had to wait behind a wall for the cooldown to come back up), so unless they started at yellow, my theory is correct. I don't remember for sure, though, since if you're invisible, those arrows don't stay red for long.

It may even be possible on missions with allies who themselves are spotted, as long as you are not. To say for sure, I'd really have to run through the game once or twice with the sole intent of testing it, but my experiences with the achievement suggest it's at least a little more forgiving than people seem to think.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Turn yellow. Except there are two kinds of yellow - the "I know you're there and I'm hunting for you" and "What was that noise?". The second you can have, the first you can't.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

TaipeiThe Warehouse is probably doable.

Whenever I do that mission the first G22 Gaurd is already on yellow by default making it impossible.

To get that stealth trophy I ended up doing:
Airport
Nasri
CIA

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, man. If you piss off Madison and then speak to her when she is on your couch, a pleasant exchange takes place.

This game, oh boy.

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010
I bought this game cause of this thread, and the dialogue options are amazing.

Mike says what he says, and consequences be damned (at least for the first run through).

RomaVictor
Jan 14, 2008
Above all things, truth beareth away the victory.
This is disappointing:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/06/no-alpha-protocol-2.aspx

I just started this game and I can already tell that I'm gonna be bummed knowing there won't be a sequel after I finish my first run through.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

RomaVictor posted:

This is disappointing:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/06/no-alpha-protocol-2.aspx

I just started this game and I can already tell that I'm gonna be bummed knowing there won't be a sequel after I finish my first run through.

Old, false news. Obsidian owns the IP. Sega of America are just retards.

e: Also, this
vvv

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 27, 2011

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
In more recent news: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/22/obsidian-still-wants-to-make-alpha-protocol-2.aspx

RomaVictor
Jan 14, 2008
Above all things, truth beareth away the victory.

Oh wow! That actually brings a question to mind: Has something like this happened before, where a developer makes a sequel under a different publisher than the first game?

It sounds familiar, but I'm not sure.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

RomaVictor posted:

Oh wow! That actually brings a question to mind: Has something like this happened before, where a developer makes a sequel under a different publisher than the first game?

F.E.A.R 2/Project Origin was a bit like that, wasn't it?

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 27, 2011

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RomaVictor posted:

Sometimes weird stuff can happen. When BIS ditched Codemasters as a publisher and made a sequel to Operation Flashpoint, they had to come up with a new name because Codemasters held the rights to the name. Thus, Arma was a sequel in all aspects but the name. It also opened up the ability for Codemasters to make a completely unrelated game with the Operation Flashpoint name, hence why Dragon Rising was absolutely nothing like the original game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

And the Game Informer review wishes the dialogue was more reactive. You know, like Mass Effect :pseudo:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RomaVictor posted:

Yes, it does happen. Mostly it depends on whether the publisher or the developer holds the rights; if the publisher has it, you see the publisher releasing something that's a sequel in name only while the developer makes something that's a sequel in everything but name (see the OFP/ArmA thing mentioned earlier), and the if the developer has it, you see a sequel released under a different publisher (Half-Life being a trivial example - the original was published by Sierra, and subsequent games by Valve themselves - but I'm sure there are others.)

It doesn't happen all that often, though, because most of the time the publisher, not the developer, gets to keep the IP rights, and/or the funding/profit division structure is such that the publisher effectively owns the developer.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And the Game Informer review wishes the dialogue was more reactive. You know, like Mass Effect :eng99:

:ughh:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

quote:

The conversations may seem similar to Mass Effect’s on first glance, but where that title keeps players engaged with constant choices, Alpha Protocol doesn’t put the system (and, by association, the characters) at the forefront.
Gaming journalism!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I got into an argument (yes... :() with someone who swore blind the game was no different from Mass Effect, and he'd played more than enough of the game to figure this out. When pressed it turned out he'd gotten to the fourth mission in Saudi.

:argh:

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And the Game Informer review wishes the dialogue was more reactive. You know, like Mass Effect :pseudo:

That review also ranks replay value as 'low.' Can't :ughh: enough.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sable Stormfront posted:

That review also ranks replay value as 'low.' Can't :ughh: enough.

Man, I want to make an intelligent response to that, but I blacked out when I read it and now I have all this vomit and blood all over my keyboard.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Crappy Jack posted:

I've been able to sneak around him before. Try hugging the leftmost wall; it looks like he should be able to see you, but you should be able to get past him. At least, I think so.

This worked: thanks!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geez. I know that reviewers don't always have a chance to review the whole game, but come on! That's just friggin' lazy.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Speedball posted:

Geez. I know that reviewers don't always have a chance to review the whole game, but come on! That's just friggin' lazy.

I'm looking forward to a few years down the line when these same gaming journalists are writing articles about underrated/underplayed games and this gets stuck alongside Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts as one of the games that the gaming public totally missed out on and should have played.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley
Finished my first play through. Pistol/Toughness. OP definitely right, this game is way better than advertised. Glad I picked it up.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Speedball posted:

Yeah that review is a travesty against all right thinking people. Also, bad voice acting? Really?

I think the voice acting for Thorton is pretty good - I was tempted to email the V.A. after that interview he gave where he said he hated his performance.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah that review is a travesty against all right thinking people. Also, bad voice acting? Really?

I think the voice acting for Thorton is pretty good - I was tempted to email the V.A. after that interview he gave where he said he hated his performance.

Yeah I think AP has some great voice acting, it's not often I find myself laughing at game dialogue like I do with this game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I think AP has some great voice acting, it's not often I find myself laughing at game dialogue like I do with this game.

Especially all the groan worthy Suave lines

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

ouch. if he thought he did such a bad job i wonder if he would even return for AP2.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

As I remember, his complaint was that he liked the first pass through the dialogue more, before Obsidian came back and asked him to dial things down and give Mike a more subtle, controlled delivery, because otherwise you get the MPD Dialogue Effect where the character see-saws between just-some-guy-Everyman and gently caress-those-aliens-Renegade.

(e: Also, I think it's so you can decide for yourself whether Mike actually means any given thing that he's saying or is just manipulating the person he's talking to.)

I can understand both his opinion as an actor and the considerations that overrode it. I wish the original recordings could be released, though, so obsessive fans could judge things for ourselves.

Hannibal Smith posted:

Gaming journalism!

There really, really should be an emoticon for this. I have strong opinions on the matter.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 28, 2011

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

In Training posted:

That's an interesting idea, I've never really heard of a game where a canon ending is that the main character dies, while it still being entirely the player's choice. It could prove for even more variety and interesting outcomes, especially if scenes would continue to play out after your death, just without your input.

Maybe in Alpha Protocol: The Spiritual Sequel (2016)

I hate to bring up Norrland, but Norrland. Although I suppose that's the main ending.

In Westwood/Cryo's dune many things that paul could do would end with a special bit of art and a voice-over describing what paul's death meant. Dunno if those count.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

njark posted:

ouch. if he thought he did such a bad job i wonder if he would even return for AP2.

Part of the problem was the necessity to allow the player to switch stances all the time. They did it pretty well, but that meant that Thorton's voice had to remain a bit flat to avoid sounding like a bipolar having constant mood swings.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CaudaVenenus posted:

Part of the problem was the necessity to allow the player to switch stances all the time. They did it pretty well, but that meant that Thorton's voice had to remain a bit flat to avoid sounding like a bipolar having constant mood swings.

Yeah, the dude obviously was not really in the loop. He stated in the same interview that he hadn't played it, and didn't know that SEGA had decided to go with no sequel.

That's why I was considering emailing him (might do it anyway), just to say that it was a great job and his performance really held up in the context of the game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I know I should've expected it, but the comments on that article make my head explode :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I know I should've expected it, but the comments on that article make my head explode :psyduck:

Obviously the game was terrible. There was no Push A for Awesome, nor any deep characterisation where you can ask people about their entire life stories while you chill out in their spaceship, and you can't just push A for perfect solution to everything. What hacks would ever make a game where you can't solve everything to everyone's satisfaction? I want my power fantasy where I save everything, thank you very much.

• Locked thread