Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Since my vstar has major problems I intend to sell it this summer if I can, and replace it with something smaller and lighter. However I still do like to tour long distance.

Thinking about a Vstrom. The 650s and 1000s don't seem to have much of a price delta between them. I heard the 1000s are considerably heavier and have some fueling idiosyncrasies - is it as bad as I hear? I assume the 1000 turns more comfortable revs on the highway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

cannonballs posted:

I've heard the same thing about the Bonnie's and I absolutely LOVE the way they look. I guess my eye falls more for the classic/retro look rather than the sportbike, but as I said, I'm pretty openminded.

Then I guess the only question is (i) are you worried about being able to pick it up and (ii) do you mind a little bit of fur on your exposed aluminium?

The Monster 696 has less shininess, weighs only ~165kg, has tiny proportions and sharper handling. It's a less relaxing ride however.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

cannonballs posted:

I've heard the same thing about the Bonnie's and I absolutely LOVE the way they look. I guess my eye falls more for the classic/retro look rather than the sportbike, but as I said, I'm pretty openminded.

Have you thought about buying a used 70s-80s UJM?

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

AncientTV posted:

Have you thought about buying a used 70s-80s UJM?

I have not! But thanks for the recommendation!

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
If you're going for an older bike like that, you'll want to be open to wrenching on it. It probably won't be a nightmare of garage work, but the possibility is there even for the more reliable bikes after that long.

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

Bixington posted:

If you're going for an older bike like that, you'll want to be open to wrenching on it. It probably won't be a nightmare of garage work, but the possibility is there even for the more reliable bikes after that long.

excellent point and an important one; I'm not mechanically-inclined and none of my friends currently ride, so older bikes are probably not the best fit for me. I do prefer something newer that *should* require less garage work.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Saga posted:

Thinking of picking up a 2006 model Husky TC450 to use for MX practice, recreational enduros and possibly putting a plate on it for very occasional trail use (since we don't really have a lot of legal, accessible trails in the area). Supposedly needs nothing doing, looks cosmetically tidy and that's one of the years with the Ohlins at the back.

Anyone have any experience of them or (this being SA) opinions?

The beast:

Why would you buy this over a Japanese make? Is it cheaper?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You guys are gonna make me do this again? :(

You should buy a used, Ninja 250 that's been dropped.

Why?

As a new rider, your priorities for owning a motorcycle should cover the following: Cheap. Reliable. Freeway Capable. Light weight. Low seat height. Forgiving. Upright position. Extensive/inexpensive spares market. Aftermarket support for mild modifications. Easy to work on. Easily Resellable. Not going to drop significantly in value if you drop it or ride it for a few years. Good community support.

Cheap because you don't have any experience on a bike yet, so you need to rack up miles. Reliable and freeway capable so you can rack up those miles, while being forgiving of your newbie mistakes. Light weight and low seat height will make it easier to handle at low speed, where most new rider drops occur. Forgiving so that when you make newbie mistakes it won't dump you on your rear end. Upright seating position for better control over the bike. A good spares market so when you do drop it, you're not waiting for parts from italy or hunting for old parts to get your bike back on the road. Aftermarket support for light modifications, in case you want a different windshield, sprockets, etc. Easy to work on because most riders like to get their hands dirty, and it's better to work on something that isn't totally oddball. Easily resellable and good value because you might ride it for 5k and discover you'd much rather be on a standard/supersport/cruiser/tourer/dualsport/supermoto/moped/scooter.

Good community support so when you run into newbie problems, you've got solid resources to turn to (This one is less important because we've got a lot of great mechanics and riders here to help you out).

When it comes down to it, the bike that rises to the top of that list is the Ninja 250. There are other bikes out there that are nearly as good, but between the Ninja250 FAQ, and fact that there are thousands upon thousands of them out there, with the latest model revision, the older ones are stupid cheap now, you can't beat the bike with a stick.

Your first bike should introduce you to riding at minimal cost, with a strong community to support you while you learn the basics. The ninja 250 is perfect for that, especially if you don't have much experience with manual transmissions.

Buy the cheap bike that you can thrash, forget to lube the chain on, drop at stop signs, and sell in a few days when you're done with it. It's your first bike, the whole point is it shouldn't be your last...it's your gateway bike, to give you the skills, comfort, and experience on a motorcycle to buy what you really want, at minimal cost. Put in 5k on your 250, or 10k, and then go buy your Bonnie. You'll be a more comfortable, confident rider by starting on a small bike you really feel like you can control, and that will carry over to the next bike you ride.

why have I never written up a newbie buyer guide to save myself writing all of this all the time

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

why have I never written up a newbie buyer guide to save myself writing all of this all the time

I was going to ask why we don't have a sticky for all this poo poo.

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

Z3n posted:

You guys are gonna make me do this again? :(

Sorry :(

I really appreciate your insight though. It make sense and a 250 does seem like a smarter decision to start with even compared to a 650. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your post. Thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cannonballs posted:

Sorry :(

I really appreciate your insight though. It make sense and a 250 does seem like a smarter decision to start with even compared to a 650. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your post. Thanks!

It's not you, it's all of those other assholes not falling in line with the CA hivemind! :v:

Kidding, there's plenty of differing opinions out there on what's acceptable. I just lean very heavily towards encouraging riders to get some experience on a bike that's very forgiving, and will allow them to learn the controls of a motorcycle without feeling scared or intimidated. For a new rider, the difference between a close call and a crash is just knowing that the bike is capable of a lot, and having the comfort and confidence to use the controls properly.

If you've got some offroad motorcycle experience, or in the case of some of my friends, extensive mountain biking experience, then my recommendations change a bit. But considering we're talking about this over the internet, I can't see you ride, I can't coach you beyond bike choice, I've always felt like it's most prudent to encourage new riders to start on the 250.

clutchpuck posted:

Since my vstar has major problems I intend to sell it this summer if I can, and replace it with something smaller and lighter. However I still do like to tour long distance.

Thinking about a Vstrom. The 650s and 1000s don't seem to have much of a price delta between them. I heard the 1000s are considerably heavier and have some fueling idiosyncrasies - is it as bad as I hear? I assume the 1000 turns more comfortable revs on the highway?

I'd get the 650, personally...if you're gonna be using it as even a mild trailie up fire roads or what have you, then you're going to want the lighter one, and the engine is nice and fun and comfortable at freeway speeds. The additional torques in the 1k isn't worth the weight and bulk.

Of course, this is coming from a supermoto rider, so this probably isn't a surprise. :xd: If you want the smaller and lighter experience, definitely go for the 650.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 28, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I think the problem is everyone who's a new rider sees the constant Ninja 250, SV650, FZ6, etc recommendations and thinks, 'ya, that's them, but this is me!'. Zen could no doubt pull 90% of his recommendation posts and stickey them at the top of the thread, but everyone wants individual treatment.

I'm not better, I believe I wanted a Husqvarna 610SM as a first bike. :downs:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

n8r posted:

Why would you buy this over a Japanese make? Is it cheaper?

Yes. 1500 asking (1350/1400 out the door?) for a 2006 in what looks like good cosmetic condition, with a quality Ohlins out back.

Japanese four strokes tend to cost more here - that price might buy you a KXF/RMZ250 or an RMZ, but a good-running CRF/WR/YZF is more like 2000 at least. The Husky isn't light like a 250 2t, but I'm coming from my ~130kg KDX, so at 111kg it should ride like a 125 GP bike by comparison. Now that I've fixed the KDX, it will be worth about a grand as a trail bike, so I don't want to spend a lot more than that.

Aside from the good shock, I understand it's supposed to be a durable (by competition standards) lump that's easy to do work on and that it comes with some other quality parts, like that arrow full titanium system (a factory part and supposedly quiet to boot), magura hydraulic clutch etc.

It's a lot of power (c. 52hp) and I would ideally have a 2008+ WR250F but for the price, but from the sound of it it's slower revving than Japanese bikes with a wide power band, so it should suit MX, enduro and occasional trail riding weekends (if I rig up a horn and a licence plate bracket). You should be able to just shortshift and lug it if you don't want to go brain out and break poo poo. And there's even a kit e-starter from the TE that you can fit.

But that's all based on reading reviews and some of the thumpertalk/adv threads. Hence I was wondering if anyone had heard anything that would suggest it was a lousy buy. Certain bikes you google and the problems crop up pretty quickly - older 'bergs and CCMs where everything breaks, YZF250s that won't start etc - but there doesn't appear to be anything negative about the Husky, other than that the forks aren't the greatest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How tight is your singletrack? Up in WA, anything more than a 250 would just be a monster handful, I have no idea how Gallous does it on his 690 E. But I've generally heard good things about modern Huskys. My friend has a 510 he's pretty happy with (on it's second rebuild, although I think the shop hosed it up).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

How tight is your singletrack? Up in WA, anything more than a 250 would just be a monster handful, I have no idea how Gallous does it on his 690 E. But I've generally heard good things about modern Huskys. My friend has a 510 he's pretty happy with (on it's second rebuild, although I think the shop hosed it up).

The 450 is a shorter stroke version of the 510 motor, AFAIK. I don't suppose you could ask your buddy what a good one is supposed to sound like (aside from no loud banging noises)? Going to see it Sunday probably.

Most of my riding won't be trails - one reason why I'm probably getting out of the KDX. We just don't have enough legal riding around here - it would be a case of taking it to Wales or the Welsh marches once in a blue moon to do some day rides with a pal. Around here it will be MX practice days plus enduros basically. Enduro bikes with lighting kits etc. seem to add 300-800 to the value of the bike, so I'd have to accept a fairly well-beaten 10 year old bike to get one of those.

Since I don't have any need to ride a dirtbike to and from work and have my own trailer, I figure I might as well get a pure competition bike and just keep the valve clearances within spec and the oil clean.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

cannonballs posted:

If you're looking more for a newer model, but older style, there's the TU250. It's fuel injected, is a standard and has an older look to it, the only problem is it's fairly new so finding a used one in your area might be difficult.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BradleyJamers posted:

If you're looking more for a newer model, but older style, there's the TU250. It's fuel injected, is a standard and has an older look to it, the only problem is it's fairly new so finding a used one in your area might be difficult.

Twinshock trials conversion...I can see it now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

The 450 is a shorter stroke version of the 510 motor, AFAIK. I don't suppose you could ask your buddy what a good one is supposed to sound like (aside from no loud banging noises)? Going to see it Sunday probably.

Most of my riding won't be trails - one reason why I'm probably getting out of the KDX. We just don't have enough legal riding around here - it would be a case of taking it to Wales or the Welsh marches once in a blue moon to do some day rides with a pal. Around here it will be MX practice days plus enduros basically. Enduro bikes with lighting kits etc. seem to add 300-800 to the value of the bike, so I'd have to accept a fairly well-beaten 10 year old bike to get one of those.

Since I don't have any need to ride a dirtbike to and from work and have my own trailer, I figure I might as well get a pure competition bike and just keep the valve clearances within spec and the oil clean.

I say go for it. Cheap, 450 power, what can go wrong?

don't pull a needknees or a zool plz

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

:saddowns:

in my defense the 450's retarded power didn't have much if anything to do with my wreck, it was my inability to land!

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

So I'm taking my MSF in two weeks (woop), and looking to buy my first bike soon as well. Since I don't know that much about bike maintenance yet, I wonder if CA could tell me what it thinks of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985...b1#ht_517wt_862

I've read almost nothing about the Saber, but the price seems reasonable for the age and condition. The seller is up front about the gas tank issue, but what kind of work exactly is required to fix it? I'm not going to be depending on the bike for transportation, so I'm fine with it being out of commission for a little while.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The V45 VF engine makes a boatload of power, somewhere around 100 horsies - it is a fast bike. And the bike is not a super light modern sporty deal, older bikes like that tend to carry a little more heft.

Also, if you ever have carb troubles which you probably will if there is fuel tank trouble requiring sealant, those VF engines are a pain to deal with or very expensive - take your pick. If you are interested in that model in particular, you should be VERY picky about overall condition, running order, etc.

As far as potential problems and overall ease of maintenance goes, you should be looking for a bike with 1-2 cylinders. Taking into account how powerful that Sabre is, and how old it is [which will tend to lead to a lot of downtime], if you are looking for a starter bike, I recommend looking elsewhere. Your focus should be on riding, not fixing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's a nice saber but did they get the v4 oiling issues worked out on that gen?

I wouldn't say its a good choice for a starter. Too much power, heavy, old and potentially unreliable as a result.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Okay, that's what I suspected after a bit of googling. I like the style though, and the price is about what I was looking to spend.

The model I was really looking for is an early 80's Suzuki GS series - I've seen a number of 650s I really liked, but I think that's an inline 4. I don't know if I can be talked out of one at this point, but why should I be looking for a 1-2 cylinder bike? A GS650 should be a lighter and less powerful bike than the Sabre, right?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
CA peeps, buy my bike (see marketplace thread). :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Schottingham posted:

Okay, that's what I suspected after a bit of googling. I like the style though, and the price is about what I was looking to spend.

The model I was really looking for is an early 80's Suzuki GS series - I've seen a number of 650s I really liked, but I think that's an inline 4. I don't know if I can be talked out of one at this point, but why should I be looking for a 1-2 cylinder bike? A GS650 should be a lighter and less powerful bike than the Sabre, right?

The fewer cylinders, the easier it is to work on. That's all. It'll also tend to be lighter and lower overall HP against displacement, with more power at the bottom end where you can use it instead.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Yeah, that's my only concern. I might inadvertently use more than 5,000 rpm and die! [<--- not actually irony, more mild hyperbole] Well, or take off over a jump inadvertently crossed up and out of position and get smacked into the ground so hard only my ankles are still visible.

e: or crash so hard I crash backwards like needknees! ;)

Saga fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 29, 2011

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

cannonballs posted:

excellent point and an important one; I'm not mechanically-inclined and none of my friends currently ride, so older bikes are probably not the best fit for me. I do prefer something newer that *should* require less garage work.

I'm a bit late but on top of the Ninja 250, also consider the Ninja 500, been around just about as long as the 250, more power than the 250 but totally manageable. Also Suzuki GS500 which is what I started on is a great bike too, especially if you prefer a one piece handlebar over clipons, a little less powerful than the Ninja 500 but it's pretty bulletproof and the engine has been around since 1989.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is this bike actually as short and as stubby as it looks?

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=300342271

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ziploc posted:

Is this bike actually as short and as stubby as it looks?

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=300342271

No, there's something going on with the rear suspension. The swingarm should be sitting like this:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It could be because it is sitting on the center stand. I can't believe he wants $2,900 for a bike with a 'homebuilt' title. Which I'm assuming is a rebuilt title.

I think I'll still go see it as I've never seen a CB1 before.

This is also on the list of go-sees: http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=301065895

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ziploc posted:

It could be because it is sitting on the center stand. I can't believe he wants $2,900 for a bike with a 'homebuilt' title. Which I'm assuming is a rebuilt title.

That doesn't have a centrestand. If it's on a salvage title the owner's clearly bodged something to get it rolling.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I have a line on a 1934 Harley Davidson VL in barely running order (running on zipties, tape and prayers)...

At £6000 it's expensive but considering a well restored one pushes £15k...

I can't tell whether this is a land mine or a pot of gold I'm tripping over...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

I have a line on a 1934 Harley Davidson VL in barely running order (running on zipties, tape and prayers)...

Landmine.

infraboy posted:

I'm a bit late but on top of the Ninja 250, also consider the Ninja 500, been around just about as long as the 250, more power than the 250 but totally manageable. Also Suzuki GS500 which is what I started on is a great bike too, especially if you prefer a one piece handlebar over clipons, a little less powerful than the Ninja 500 but it's pretty bulletproof and the engine has been around since 1989.

Ninja 500 weighs ~100 pounds more than a Ninja 250. The GS500 is out because of that stupid 4k mile valve adjustment, and newbs tend to forget those, and then you end up burning valves, and the bike won't idle but it "Just needs a carb clean!".

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ReelBigLizard posted:

A really pretty landmine that no one else has, limited to Sunday excursions on secondary roads. Consider that this was the era of the total loss oil system, which is everything it implies. And it was the middle of the Great Depression, when annual production was at an all time low--rarity cuts both ways.

Hobby for life, basically.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
So like a landmine with gold shrapnel?

I think I'm going to have a look at it and see just how bad it is. I know the guy, he might take an offer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

So like a landmine with gold shrapnel?

I think I'm going to have a look at it and see just how bad it is. I know the guy, he might take an offer.

Buy it, put KTM 690 engine in the frame, part out the rest.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
What do you guys think of these Ninja 250's? I sent the usual emails and asked about the title in the second so I don't have any more info than they posted yet.

I have a 2005 kawasaki ninja 250 for sale that needs some work- it quite
running last year and i do not have the time or knowledge to fix it.
The bike is in overall good condition-has always been garaged.
It has just over 32k miles on it-most of which are freeway.
The bike has aftermarket sprockets, one size bigger main jets on the carbs,
heated handgrips, upgraded headlight bulb, custom baffles for better sound/performance,
and a custom luggage rack. I have the title in hand
for the first serious cash offer-CASH ONLY PLEASE.
you will need a truck or trailer to haul it home as it does not currently run.
I am sure with the right know-how this bike could be up and running in no time.
I tested the ignition coils-replaced the ic ignitor-replaced spark plugs to no avail.
It has been sitting for almost a year so the battery is likely dead but with a good charge
it will turn over. Please call **************** for more info- am asking $500 firm.

and the other

i have a 98 ninja that has 1600 miles on it the catch is a was in an accident with it and the front end got wrecked, everthing is in really good shape besides plastics and the gauges.

text me or email me if your intrested, i need to get some cash for it asking $800

thanks

I really want a bike that doesn't need work, but it seems like either one of these would be worth the effort so long they are not just completely wrecked.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd offer 500 on the second one. Check that the forks aren't bent, they bend easy. The first one seems too high mileage to really go for.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Is there a good way to check forks besides just looking at them? Should I bring straight edge of some sort like a carpenters square or the edge of a note book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

I'd offer 500 on the second one. Check that the forks aren't bent, they bend easy. The first one seems too high mileage to really go for.

Too high mileage at 32k? If it was maintained at all it should be good for another 30k at least. I bet 30k miles is more than 90% of the motorcycle owners in America will ride in their lifetime.