Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outer Heaven
Jul 19, 2011
I finished RDR a few days ago. I didn't know how it was going to end but I've seen too many times that "it's a great ending" so I think it didn't have the impact it should have had. But still, it's a magnificent game.

The atmosphere and sense of place are incredible. The choice of music (the "stems") is original and very well executed and the few vocal songs were all terrific (except for the credits song which for some reason faded out for me after 15 seconds.. WTF?) and comprised what for me were the most emotional moments of the game. I'm saying that because RDR is no Metal Gear and someone like Kojima would have given some of the scenes a lot more emotional impact. But I guess that's just my own preference.

I liked each and every character I met because the voice actors were outstanding, but none was as good as the guy who voiced John Marston. That guy really needs some kind of award for what he did there because Marston has now become my favorite video game character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
New DLC info

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/17961/the-free-red-dead-redemption-myths-and-mavericks-bonus-pack-dlc-.html

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

So I'm thinking I'll do another game with the minimap disabled, apparently that's pretty cool. Anything else that can make the game better a second time around? I turned off auto-aim early on in my first game, that poo poo is for pussies.

I did this, I highly recommend it. Missions where you're being pursued while you're on horseback get a lot more difficult because you don't instantaneously know what side you're supposed to be facing. Overall makes the game a lot more enjoyable, it did for me anyway, you look at the road 100% of the time you're riding around and it makes a big difference in the way you perceive the environment. Especially in hunting, picking herbs and chasing down bounties. It's a lot more fun trailing a fleeing felon and using the dust his galloping horse kicks up to locate him instead of a blip on your radar.

I'd also suggest only using Dead Eye when it's absolutely necessary (I only did when surrounded by enemies on horseback), but then again I typically enjoy difficult things.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was pretty pissed at how the game ended and I still wish there was a way to change it.

Playing without radar really adds to the game. I'd do it in undead nightmare but I just want to unlock all the cool poo poo and ride around murdering. Already know how it ends thanks to that piece of poo poo Red Dead Wiki

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I just finished a playthrough of no-radar and the only frustrating parts were some of the Mexico horseback firefighting missions and trying to find desert sage in New Austin. I think I just kept cheesing the ones at Gaptooth Breach for the survivalist challenge as they were the only ones I had memorized.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Here's hoping for Herbert Moooon.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Well, turns out that despite my initial misgivings that multiplayer is loving lovely. My mate and I just played free roam for a solid 8 hours. We chased down challenges, went hunting, did a bunch of gang hideouts. It was all the stuff I loved about the game, but without the nonsense built into the main story. This, plus the Undead Nightmare that I just 100%ed, are the real game for me.

A bonus to all that is that it tempted me back into single-player to get the last 8.5% I need for completion, only to discover that there are some fun Socialclub challenges to hunt down too. Yeah, I'm finally in love with this game.

The only downside to the multiplayer that I found was that despite us being on expert targeting (which is the only way to play), other players can turn theirs onto casual for super-easy pvp shooting. That's disappointing, especially in hardcore free roam where it would make more sense to be expert only for everyone to make for a level playing field. It meant that two dudes who spent 20 minutes hunting us constantly had the upper hand, though we had a fun time fighting them off anyway.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Jesus Christ. Out loving about on the final survivalist challenge in Tall Trees when I run into a bear and a wild boar. Crack off a couple shots at the bear, it charges me and knocks me down, then I get stampeded to death from behind by 3 other wild boars.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Encryptic posted:

Jesus Christ. Out loving about on the final survivalist challenge in Tall Trees when I run into a bear and a wild boar. Crack off a couple shots at the bear, it charges me and knocks me down, then I get stampeded to death from behind by 3 other wild boars.

Reddeadredemption.txt right here.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

...other players can turn theirs onto casual for super-easy pvp shooting. That's disappointing, especially in hardcore free roam where it would make more sense to be expert only for everyone to make for a level playing field. It meant that two dudes who spent 20 minutes hunting us constantly had the upper hand, though we had a fun time fighting them off anyway.

You can only use expert aiming in hardcore free roam.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cabinet posted:

Here's hoping for Herbert Moooon.

since it's called Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack I'm hoping for playable bigfoot in multiplayer.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Kly posted:

You can only use expert aiming in hardcore free roam.

That isn't right, because I was in a hardcore free roam and after we fought those guys (which was awesome as they were really well coordinated and put up a great fight) I went into options and I could change to casual targeting complete with snap-to targeting.

I tried it, I tested it, and it works against NPCs and non-posse members.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Parkingtigers posted:

Reddeadredemption.txt right here.
I kill a bear and then ANOTHER BEAR OUT OF loving NOWHERE

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I kill a bear and then ANOTHER BEAR OUT OF loving NOWHERE

Story of my (short) life in RDR: Sometimes I get the bear and sometimes the bear gets me. I did finally manage to finish the survivalist challenge though. I'm not usually a huge fan of these collectathons in games but the game world is so fun to gently caress around in that it doesn't seem tedious.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 28, 2011

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

That isn't right, because I was in a hardcore free roam and after we fought those guys (which was awesome as they were really well coordinated and put up a great fight) I went into options and I could change to casual targeting complete with snap-to targeting.

Oh. It doesn't do this on my PS3 version.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

That's got to be a new change. The entire point of Hardcore Free Roam is the expert targeting only, among the other poo poo. Going to check this on my copy as well, because if this is the case now, that's pretty hosed up and probably an accidental change

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Mandrel posted:

That's got to be a new change. The entire point of Hardcore Free Roam is the expert targeting only, among the other poo poo. Going to check this on my copy as well, because if this is the case now, that's pretty hosed up and probably an accidental change

I really hope it's wrong, that maybe it was a glitch or I hosed up somewhere. It just said in-game that hardcore made you only show up on radar when shooting or sprinting, no mention of targeting restrictions at all.

Once I finish grinding out poker wins in single-player for my savvy trader outfit, I'm going to go back in and try again. It really is the only downside to otherwise glorious wonderful free roaming.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Thread bump to let you all know that RDR multiplayer will be in Triple XP mode all night tonight.

Rockstar Games (Facebook) posted:

Triple XP is now live for the rest of the night in Red Dead Redemption & Undead Nightmare multiplayer, we're on and playing for the next 2 hours on both PSN and Xbox LIVE, add RedDeadDev3 to play with us & be sure to restart your console if you aren't seeing Triple XP, see you in-game...

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I forget who said it but someone suggested playing through without the radar and gently caress me what an awesome idea. I had just turned it off when I got to Mexico and playing this game with no hud or anything to distract you really lets you look at it. Plus it got me away from looting every body after a fight because I don't have easy X's to go to. Now money is tight so I can't just buy my way through everything. Hard to explain fully but I don't think I've ever played a game where I was exploring poo poo just to explore it without having to worry about loot. Now I just see some cool poo poo and go check it out like I was 12 years old running around in the woods.

I've heard the wiki is terrible at spoiling everything and I've done a great job so far of not knowing poo poo so could someone help me with what 'range' actually is on a gun? I thought it might be the zoom in but I think that is standard for each weapon class. Damage drop off at distance?

Game rules and I never want it to end.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Captain Beans posted:

I forget who said it but someone suggested playing through without the radar and gently caress me what an awesome idea. I had just turned it off when I got to Mexico and playing this game with no hud or anything to distract you really lets you look at it. Plus it got me away from looting every body after a fight because I don't have easy X's to go to. Now money is tight so I can't just buy my way through everything. Hard to explain fully but I don't think I've ever played a game where I was exploring poo poo just to explore it without having to worry about loot. Now I just see some cool poo poo and go check it out like I was 12 years old running around in the woods.

I've heard the wiki is terrible at spoiling everything and I've done a great job so far of not knowing poo poo so could someone help me with what 'range' actually is on a gun? I thought it might be the zoom in but I think that is standard for each weapon class. Damage drop off at distance?

Ever shoot at a guy far away and the reticle goes gray for a second? That means you're too far away and your shots will be much less accurate. That's what range is; basically the distance at which your shots will still be accurate.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

You can use most weapons at most ranges. If you can see a dude reasonably well just using the slight zoom from your pistol, you can probably hit him. The only reason I can stand MacFarlane's Ranch in Gang Shootouts is because you can whore the high-power pistol and snipe people with it. I think the only pistol that isn't really capable of this is the Cattleman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

I just started playing again without the mini-map and it really is amazing. You have to actually recognize herbs and flowers if you want to collect them. You have to watch closely where animals fall if you shoot them from a distance. You have to actually listen to your horse and feel the controller to know if you're working your steed too hard.

It's an incredibly more immersive and somewhat challenging experience, but you never feel like you're missing out. The most important thing is to make sure you take advantage of the press-B-to-look-at-herd-event-what-have-you when prompted. I highly suggest anyone playing the game, not even for the first time, turn the mini-map off. It is infinitely more awesome to see West Dickens's cart appear in the distance for the first time, riding to it, than following a red line to a big W.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just started playing again without the mini-map and it really is amazing. You have to actually recognize herbs and flowers if you want to collect them. You have to watch closely where animals fall if you shoot them from a distance. You have to actually listen to your horse and feel the controller to know if you're working your steed too hard.

It's an incredibly more immersive and somewhat challenging experience, but you never feel like you're missing out. The most important thing is to make sure you take advantage of the press-B-to-look-at-herd-event-what-have-you when prompted. I highly suggest anyone playing the game, not even for the first time, turn the mini-map off. It is infinitely more awesome to see West Dickens's cart appear in the distance for the first time, riding to it, than following a red line to a big W.

You really feel like you are actually navigating some new place instead of just following some loving line. It makes traveling much more fun too, I used to get bored going from place to place because all I worried about was following a red line. Now I really don't use fast travel at all. I do kind of wish for just a compass on the HUD but the main river makes a pretty good landmark for orientation.

I even kind of wish I could turn off my position indication on the big map but I just like maps and navigating poo poo. Especially because I'm not anally worried about missing some lovely chest for some dumb loot of +3 boots.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2011

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The no-radar thing does sound pretty cool. Having just got to 100% tonight, I'm kind of tempted to replay the main story to get the 20 missions without changing horses achievement and play it with the radar off.

I'd also highly recommend leaving ALL the side content for after the final mission. I had loads left over, and quite frankly it felt like having a second story due to playing as John Marsten's son. If done right, the end of John's story then becomes the start of Jack's. If I were to replay it, I'd absolutely leave everything for Jack to do, challenges included. Then, I'd make sure the final thing to be done as this young bounty hunter would be to hunt down Edgar Ross..

Yeah, that's how I'd recommend playing it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just a reminder that this weekend is triple XP. I'm going in a couple of minutes.

PSN Darth_Brooks

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Played with pubbies who were obsessed with getting golden fire bottles and dynamite.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

Played with pubbies who were obsessed with getting golden fire bottles and dynamite.

Those "pubbies" might be members of some other internet forum you know, they might even be talking about you as a pubbie over there.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Wandle Cax posted:

Those "pubbies" might be members of some other internet forum you know, they might even be talking about you as a pubbie over there.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are through the looking glass.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I found two more cool things about playing without the radar. When you want to keep a bounty alive (Which just feels more badass then killing them), you have to actually try to recognize the bounty from the poster. It's actually more difficult than it seems.

When chasing crooks, you have to use the map to know the general direction, but it's really great to catch up and catch the thief turning behind a rock and blindly running after them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Had fun playing with Darth Brooks and some others briefly. Poopsocking Solomon's Folly even with triple XP still seems like it takes too long though. I do enjoy just chucking dynamite at the start of a round.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Darth Brooks posted:

Just a reminder that this weekend is triple XP. I'm going in a couple of minutes.

PSN Darth_Brooks

Unless it's PS3 only, you are a filthy rotten liar.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Looks like you're right. They had triple XP, just not now.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I really appreciate people posting the Triple XP alerts here, I don't have Facebook or Twitter turned to push on my phone and don't check it enough online to always catch them.

Also, I started a new single player game with expert targeting and no minimap - holy poo poo, it's like a whole new game. I never noticed how much scenery I missed by watching that map. Gonna play through the whole game again in True Cowboy mode. :clint:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
As I was finishing off my 100%, I turned off the minimap right at the end and it really cannot be overstated just what a difference it makes. Everything people have said about finally seeing the scenery is true. I only tried riding from Blackwater to Armadillo, but even things like needing to stop and read roadsigns was a perverse pleasure. Some guy at Macfarlane Ranch had his horse stolen, and even working out who the thief was took a bit of doing, then I had to ride around looking for the guy cheering and clapping his hands to know who to return it to. That, was awesome.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Triple XP is on this Thursday if you're still chasing that zonkey like me (360 only it looks like).

No-map makes the game way more immersive but I didn't realize how much I'd relied on snap-targeting for wild animals. Fighting people isn't bad because I've been doing it in multiplayer but every wolf pack that attacks is almost certain death. I can't wait to get ganked by cougars and bears.

Gadani
Oct 19, 2005
I really want to get in on some of this sweet Triple XP action.

Anyone down for killin' some bad guys this Thursday? My gamertag is "Shadeofperditio"

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I’m almost embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve “finished” multiplayer by maxing the XP.

My main grind was hanging out on the roof next to the saloon in Rathskeller Fork and shooting lawmen to rack up kill streaks. Most of this was in private sessions (private = just me). Anybody who thinks this is a cheesy way of doing it can suck my zonkey’s balls.

I guess I’m done with the game, then? I can’t earn any more points. About the only amusement I have left is to summon my zonkey and then shoot it in the head so other players can’t ride it.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

bitey posted:

I’m almost embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve “finished” multiplayer by maxing the XP.

My main grind was hanging out on the roof next to the saloon in Rathskeller Fork and shooting lawmen to rack up kill streaks. Most of this was in private sessions (private = just me). Anybody who thinks this is a cheesy way of doing it can suck my zonkey’s balls.

I guess I’m done with the game, then? I can’t earn any more points. About the only amusement I have left is to summon my zonkey and then shoot it in the head so other players can’t ride it.

I will never understand the "what's the quickest way I can finish this" mentality when it comes to games. I'm on Legendary 4, and only one of those was grinding. I just play the game to actually have FUN, and the levels came on their own.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Peas and Rice posted:

Triple XP is on this Thursday if you're still chasing that zonkey like me (360 only it looks like).

No-map makes the game way more immersive but I didn't realize how much I'd relied on snap-targeting for wild animals. Fighting people isn't bad because I've been doing it in multiplayer but every wolf pack that attacks is almost certain death. I can't wait to get ganked by cougars and bears.

To be honest, I think the no radar thing is best saved for replays, as by then you'll actually know the landmarks and can navigate around fairly easily(ish) without needing to constantly open the in game map to see where you are. But expert targeting is the only way to play at any time.

I'm LOVING this replay without the radar though. Not knowing where the bad guys are makes shootouts much more tense. Having to be careful who I shoot as the good guys aren't marked really helps immersion too. On this run, I'm not going to use items, and will restrict myself to only using deadeye when on horseback (to counter the bullshit rubberbanding of the AI pursuers). This is going to be good times.

Oh, and random encounters take on a life of their own as well. If you hear gunfire or screaming, you have to locate it by following the sounds rather than looking for a blue dot on the radar. Makes saving someone's life really mean something.

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake. Just as I write what a great time I'm having on the replay, the loving game enters yet another of the regular lock-up glitches. So much for my immersion. RDR, why do you make it so hard to love your single-player experience?

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Parkingtigers posted:

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake. Just as I write what a great time I'm having on the replay, the loving game enters yet another of the regular lock-up glitches. So much for my immersion. RDR, why do you make it so hard to love your single-player experience?

I had the game lock up twice at the same scene, when Marston and Reyes get ready to deal with Williamson and Allende after they stop the stagecoach. This was on different playthroughs; when I switched off the Xbox and reloaded from the last save it didn't glitch. The second time I just waited, and after about a minutes things got going again. Then there was a games update and it hasn't done it since. So make sure you're fully patched.

Btw, when that particular scene locks, I think you still see some scenery moving, and it's just the characters who are frozen. Not 100% sure though.

And thanks a mil for the suggestion to go without radar. Finally a good excuse to do yet another run.

• Locked thread