Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocket
Aug 16, 2002

LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLADIES!

oRenj9 posted:

It should be noted that it is practically impossible to back into a parking spot with the mirrors configured this way. I finally got fed up with having to adjust my mirrors to backup and grabbed a set of those fish eye mirrors instead.

I never had any problems. You just have to know how much room your car uses, and make sure nothing is in the way when you drive by the parking spot. It takes a little practice, but I guess after driving a truck or SUV for years and ALWAYS parking like that, parking the Miata this way was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I just test drove my first MX-5 and oh my god I'm hooked on buying one now. It looks like arse but mechanically everything seems fantastic. Steering feels tight, engine pulls strong and smooth, suspension feels good & there's no odd noises going on anywhere. Has some body rust but nothing major, door sills & wheel arches are solid. No obvious leaks.

Before I jump the gun and buy the thing, are there any blindingly obvious issues to look out for with these cars? I'm doing some reading but any tips you guys could give would be appreciated.

*E* Hell even the brake fluid was clean and fresh.

vvv I'm in delightful Coventry atm. Car is in equally delightful Milton Keynes.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 25, 2011

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

jammyozzy posted:

I just test drove my first MX-5 and oh my god I'm hooked on buying one now. It looks like arse but mechanically everything seems fantastic. Steering feels tight, engine pulls strong and smooth, suspension feels good & there's no odd noises going on anywhere. Has some body rust but nothing major, door sills & wheel arches are solid. No obvious leaks.

Before I jump the gun and buy the thing, are there any blindingly obvious issues to look out for with these cars? I'm doing some reading but any tips you guys could give would be appreciated.

Where are you located? I seem to remember you're UK-based...

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This is maybe too vague to be answered, but is there a tell-tale feeling when the brake pads are going compared to other cars? I dropped the car off for state inspection and realized I forgot to check how the brake pads were doing in my little pre-inspection tuneup, and that's pretty much the only thing I could fail for, I think.

Car brakes fine. If they were getting too thin, would I notice crappy breaking, or is it more of a 'fall off the cliff' thing? I don't know the brand, the PO was the last to change them.

Guess I'll know tomorrow :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd probably hear them squealing, mine did when they wore out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd probably hear them squealing, mine did when they wore out.

Yeah there are little metal clips on the sides of the pads that are basically just there to make squealing noises when it's time to change.

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008
Having a bit of a problem with my 2002 Miata. I had noticed the engine running kind of rough, so I thought it might be due for for some new spark plugs. I bought the car used 5 years ago with 22k on it; it now has 57k, and I had never had the plugs changed before (and just today learned I should be changing the plugs every 30k, I'm kind of a noob), so it seemed like a good idea.

So I went in to try and figure out how to get the spark plugs out (none of the directions I found on the Internet mentioned anything about the coil packs on the top, so it took me a bit to figure out what I was supposed to do. Apparently people only change plugs on their NA models. But I digress...) After poking around a bit, I noticed the third boot was loose (that is, third one in while standing in front of the car; the one between the two coil packs), and I could neither push it back in nor pull it out. As I wiggle it around I can hear a metal on metal sound, but don't know if that's the lead inside the boot rubbing against the connector on top of the plug, or the inside of the plug rubbing against the engine block. I'm afraid to apply too much force on it either in or out for fear of breaking something, but I'm not really sure what to do. Any ideas?

So I think I found my culprit. I only really noticed it over the past week (which included a nice 200 mile road trip), but I think it may have been progressing for quite some time. After putting everything back together, I did turn the car on again and it seems to be running at least as well as it did before I started messing with stuff. But is this safe to drive, or do I risk damaging my engine? I don't plan on doing any long road trips, but I do still need to get to work (about 5 miles away) and run errands and may not be able to get it to a mechanic until next week. I haven't noticed much of a performance hit, surprisingly, though I rarely push it really hard. Mostly city driving.

What say you Miata Goons?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
If it's running the same, you're probably not really hurting anything.. but if you're misfiring you're passing raw fuel through into the exhaust and it will shorten the life of your catalytic converter. Sounds like you should bring it to a mechanic and have him check it out soon, next week will be fine.
Coil packs can be a problem area on these cars

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
You could try putting on some dielectric (sp?) gel on it to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, wires are cheaper than coil packs, so I'd try new wires, then new coils.

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

You could try putting on some dielectric (sp?) gel on it to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, wires are cheaper than coil packs, so I'd try new wires, then new coils.

The problem is I can't even get it out of the well to put some dielectric gel on it. It's just kind of sitting in there. I can't really tell if the boot is still connected to the plug and it's the plug that's loose, or if it's just the boot that is loose but somehow stuck in there.

You know I thought I had noticed a gas smell in the cabin a few times, but I only ever smelled it when stopped. Since I'm in the city, though, I usually find myself stopped behind other cars and I was never really sure if I was smelling my own fuel or just sucking some else's exhaust. Maybe this explains that too.

The thing that really bothers me about it is how much the engine vibrates while it is running. If I have the engine idling with the hood, you can see the engine just rocking back and forth. I know that can't be good in the long term.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I had a similar problem where the boot was stuck to the plug on my Celica. I used a wire coat hanger to take it out and then glued it back onto the wires using silicone sealant.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rip that poo poo off and put in new plugs and wires.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I would like a second little car and thought HEY A MIATA. A few days digging on Craiglist has made me realize that they cannot be had for under 5000 dollars in Kansas City. loving 21 year old Mazdas and these people want 5 grand, what the hell, is this typical?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's fairly typical in my area as well (Pacific Northwest). A good condition NA with less than 100-150k miles is worth about 4-5k easy. A bit more for a special edition. Even a 200k+ miles 1.6L beater seems to be worth about 3 grand around here if it still runs decent.

The good thing about it is, however, that they've more or less reached their depreciation floor. I bought an NA, drove it year-round for over 4 years, then sold it. Total depreciation in that time period due to age/condition/miles was only about $1000.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 27, 2011

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AlternateAccount posted:

So I would like a second little car and thought HEY A MIATA. A few days digging on Craiglist has made me realize that they cannot be had for under 5000 dollars in Kansas City. loving 21 year old Mazdas and these people want 5 grand, what the hell, is this typical?

My 96 cost that much, and it had almost 80,000 miles. It's a desirable car.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

In the DC area there are over a dozen on Craigslist for well under $5k. You mentioned having family in VA in the BMW thread - make use of them and get over here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Keep looking. Sometimes people in the dark post them for sale for around KBB and if you're faster than the rest of the internet, you can snag one cheap.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, time to be patient I guess.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

AlternateAccount posted:

In Augusta GA area and half of GA im seeing about $3500-5000 for early 90s with out the 1.8 and about 150k-200+k. I gave up after 2 months of watching, ill look again in a year or so and in winter.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sadi posted:

In Augusta GA area and half of GA im seeing about $3500-5000 for early 90s with out the 1.8 and about 150k-200+k. I gave up after 2 months of watching, ill look again in a year or so and in winter.

I bought my '01 with 34000 miles on it in Aiken back in '06 for 12 grand. It's doable (keep an eye on Autotrader).

Speaking of which, since I'm on MSM watch, is there anywhere to keep an eye on besides Autotrader, Yahoo and Ebay?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GD_American posted:

I bought my '01 with 34000 miles on it in Aiken back in '06 for 12 grand. It's doable (keep an eye on Autotrader).

Speaking of which, since I'm on MSM watch, is there anywhere to keep an eye on besides Autotrader, Yahoo and Ebay?

Honestly, I'd look on miataturbo.net for a car that somebody else turbo'd. I haven't heard much nice to say about the MSM cars. But if you're specifically looking for one, try the sites you mentioned and searchtempest (craigslist search site).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DreamOn13 posted:

Honestly, I'd look on miataturbo.net for a car that somebody else turbo'd. I haven't heard much nice to say about the MSM cars. But if you're specifically looking for one, try the sites you mentioned and searchtempest (craigslist search site).

Jesus. Not a single NB on the first page. The ones further back are ricey as poo poo, too.

Not my scene, I guess. But I will bookmark it and keep an eye out, appreciate it.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

GD_American posted:

Yeah my GF got a 2001 last year (M edition) with 90k miles for $4.2k. Im in college so I was really hoping for a summer project, but im out of summer at this point.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I got a NA with ~80k and a DIY turbo kit for $2200. Pretty mechanically sound, it didn't look the best and I am still trying to polish it up but it gets me to work everyday and thats all I wanted. Oh I did blow the rear end up but I found a torsen for $500. Also had to replace turbo oil drain line and cooling fan thermoswitch. No trouble since then.

Also has FM springs, KYB AGXs, autokonexion trunk and rota rs's.

The point is that you can find deals a lot if you find a car with a few small problems or isn't the prettiest thing right now. I didnt want a turbo car but it was cheap and moved around okay.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Well, my situation is a little different. I've got a ton of small dings, scratches and interior damage from five years of using it as an everyday work car and hauler (lol, yes). I'm at the point where I can afford to put some money into it and fix it up, but for that same amount or less I can just upgrade into a better car. I want something newer and in better shape, with lower mileage, but I want to stay with an NB.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
Is there anything in particular to watch out for on an MSM? I'm thinking about taking a local one for a test drive this week but the price seems a little too good to be true (1k under blue book at a dealership.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

None aside from the standard MSM issues - tiny turbo, even smaller intercooler, and the 6500RPM redline combined with the short gearing.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
May as well get a cheap NC IMO.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
Huh. I did not know those were qualities of the MSM. Moving on!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
re: shopping for Miatas... it's the time of year. Wait until the good weather passes and you'll find the best deals.

That being said, there ARE deals out there. I recently sold my NA for $2k and bought an NB with 135k, and records that's in pretty darn good condition with a hard top for 4.5k.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Any other Miata goons on the way to Miatas at the gap? a group shot would be cool.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GD_American posted:

Jesus. Not a single NB on the first page. The ones further back are ricey as poo poo, too.

Not my scene, I guess. But I will bookmark it and keep an eye out, appreciate it.

http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=55051

This is probably the one I'd look into if I were you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DreamOn13 posted:

http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=55051

This is probably the one I'd look into if I were you.

Muuuuuccchhhh more in my wheelhouse. Thank you.

With all that firepower on the engine, why has he had so much trouble selling it?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

edit: disregard the retarded stretch, but that front end is loving gorgeous.

destructo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 29, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
ugh

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I appreciate the attention to detail, but that car has hilarious identity issues.

It's like mnet and CR had a baby.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
The "chrome" mirrors really sell the look (of disgusting).

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Those chrome mirrors are actually a relatively rare OEM JDM piece.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

destructo posted:

Those chrome mirrors are actually a relatively rare OEM JDM piece.

That doesn't make them suck less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

That doesn't make them suck less.
Yeah, I'd have gone with a set of Zooms.