Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ReptilePicasso posted:

Hey guys, just letting the people with the Samsung Fascinate know, that I just received my warranty replacement, the Droid Charge. They gave me a new one, so kudos to Verizon and if you haven't replaced your Fascinate, do it!

How did you get them to replace it? I have a Fascinate and it's starting to annoy me with its little issues more and more each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

wandler20 posted:

How did you get them to replace it? I have a Fascinate and it's starting to annoy me with its little issues more and more each day.

You missed the boat, at least for a little while.

The latest update has dropped from Samsung, and the replacement program is on-hold indefinitely until they evaluate whether the fix actually solves the missed call issue.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

AlexDeGruven posted:

You missed the boat, at least for a little while.

The latest update has dropped from Samsung, and the replacement program is on-hold indefinitely until they evaluate whether the fix actually solves the missed call issue.

drat. I guess I'll continue to wait for the Galaxy S II or Bionic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, apparently, the big reason for the Xoom LTE module and Bionic delay was that Moto decided to go it alone on the LTE chip and build their own from scratch rather than source from Qualcomm.

This could obviously be either a good thing or a bad thing.

The good is, we can throw out any expectations we have of LTE performance (battery life, handoff issues, etc) that are based on the current phones. Moto's chip may very well be closer to 2nd gen devices in those regards. The bad is that obviously it has made them later to market and there's the potential that Moto's stuff isn't as good as Qualcomm's and it will have more or different issues.

It certainly has intrigued me enough to keep from making a snap decision and going out at lunch and getting a Thunderbolt like I was thinking about doing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Could be good, could be poo poo...who knows. Maybe moto solved the problem of lovely battery life on LTE phones.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
So I'm on an unlimited data plan which is great and virtually guarantees I'll stay a Verizon customer for the foreseeable future. Question though: let's say I get a 4G phone, my unlimited plan carries over.

Now say I buy one of those wonderful 4G Galaxy Tabs. Do I get unlimited data on that too, because it's attached to my account?

Apologies if this has been addressed.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

negativeneil posted:

Now say I buy one of those wonderful 4G Galaxy Tabs. Do I get unlimited data on that too, because it's attached to my account?
Fairly certain the unlimited data deal applies to the line it's on, not the account it's on.

So basically, no.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

so I guess the smart choice would be to buy a 4g phone and a wifi Tab and tether, then. I guess that saves a bunch of money in the long run.

is there even an app out there that can tether a phone and tablet together, or are we still limited to phone -> computer?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Disregard.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

negativeneil posted:

so I guess the smart choice would be to buy a 4g phone and a wifi Tab and tether, then. I guess that saves a bunch of money in the long run.

is there even an app out there that can tether a phone and tablet together, or are we still limited to phone -> computer?

You can tether anything that has wifi

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

cool. Thanks for the info.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

negativeneil posted:

So I'm on an unlimited data plan which is great and virtually guarantees I'll stay a Verizon customer for the foreseeable future. Question though: let's say I get a 4G phone, my unlimited plan carries over.

Apologies if this has been addressed.

They haven't had unlimited data on tablets/data cards for awhile now. They had tiered pricing before mobile phones went that route

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
I'm looking to drop T-mobile since I have zero reception at my new office which effectively makes my already worthless CLIQ XT a brick for 9 hours out of the day.

I've kind of been out of the Android loop for awhile and the device thread is pretty convoluted since I'm looking at only the Android phones Verizon is offering. Which ones should I start researching/comparing and which should I stay away from?
Droid3 looks cool, I really like the slide out keyboard, but it looks like the Revolution is also a decent choice.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Do you guys think I could take my X2 into the Verizon store and get a replacement? These screen redraws are loving ridiculous and constant. Pretty much any app I exit out of that I've been using for more than 30 seconds causes a complete redraw. It is absolutely ridiculous that I am getting worse/more redraws on my two month old dual core phone than I was with a similar screen setup on my OG Droid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Do you guys think I could take my X2 into the Verizon store and get a replacement? These screen redraws are loving ridiculous and constant. Pretty much any app I exit out of that I've been using for more than 30 seconds causes a complete redraw. It is absolutely ridiculous that I am getting worse/more redraws on my two month old dual core phone than I was with a similar screen setup on my OG Droid.

Wouldn't hurt i guess. I mean I can't tell you the last time i've seen a screen re-draw on my X2, so maybe your device is hosed up or something.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I lost my phone this weekend. I've seen mixed thoughts, but is it possible to buy a prepaid phone and activate it onto my regular account?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wouldn't hurt i guess. I mean I can't tell you the last time i've seen a screen re-draw on my X2, so maybe your device is hosed up or something.

It's killing man. I've tried every launcher with so success. I even used Motorola's stock launcher for a while. Will it be a problem if I roll in there running Gingerbread I wonder?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

compton rear end terry posted:

I lost my phone this weekend. I've seen mixed thoughts, but is it possible to buy a prepaid phone and activate it onto my regular account?

They require you now to have the prepaid phone active on a prepaid account for 6 months before they'll activate it on a postpaid account

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

It's killing man. I've tried every launcher with so success. I even used Motorola's stock launcher for a while. Will it be a problem if I roll in there running Gingerbread I wonder?

Just tell them you got the update normally if they ask. There supposedly pushing it out this week anyway.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

decoy octopus posted:

They require you now to have the prepaid phone active on a prepaid account for 6 months before they'll activate it on a postpaid account

Even if you activate it online by yourself?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just tell them you got the update normally if they ask. There supposedly pushing it out this week anyway.

Cool.

Out of curiosity, what launcher are you running? It seems ADW is horrible for me for some reason. By far the worst redraws.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Versus Boredom posted:

I'm looking to drop T-mobile since I have zero reception at my new office which effectively makes my already worthless CLIQ XT a brick for 9 hours out of the day.

I've kind of been out of the Android loop for awhile and the device thread is pretty convoluted since I'm looking at only the Android phones Verizon is offering. Which ones should I start researching/comparing and which should I stay away from?
Droid3 looks cool, I really like the slide out keyboard, but it looks like the Revolution is also a decent choice.
If a keyboard is important above all, go ahead on the Droid 3.

If a keyboard is not your #1 concern, wait 1 more month for reviews on the Droid Bionic.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Even if you activate it online by yourself?

Yes, it goes off the ESN

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

As somebody with a brother who has lost/broken a lot of phones, it would probably still be cheaper to find a cheap phone on ebay with a clean ESN. I don't know how long you can stay without a phone, or the price for a prepaid one, but you can probably snag a reliable dumbphone off ebay for around $20.

Also, it doesn't hurt to ask friends if they have an extra phone you could borrow!

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Unfortunately Im interning 5 hours from home so I was hoping for a quick and painless immediate solution. Looks like my parents are going to send me one of their old phones. Thanks for the help!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Cool.

Out of curiosity, what launcher are you running? It seems ADW is horrible for me for some reason. By far the worst redraws.

Stock everything.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Stock everything.

Alright, interesting.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to cut down on the number of screens when using the stock launcher? Also can I put more than four shortcuts at the bottom? I've messed around with it trying to figure these two things out with no luck.

I don't think I should have to use the stock launcher to keep from having redraws but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Alright, interesting.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to cut down on the number of screens when using the stock launcher? Also can I put more than four shortcuts at the bottom? I've messed around with it trying to figure these two things out with no luck.

I don't think I should have to use the stock launcher to keep from having redraws but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

I don't think so. I have no problem with only having 4 icons on the bottom, but being able to cut down the number of homescreens would be a nice option to have.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think so. I have no problem with only having 4 icons on the bottom, but being able to cut down the number of homescreens would be a nice option to have.

Yea, there are a few key features that I require a launcher to have, the ability to change the number of screens is one of them. I'm going to head into Verizon after work and see what they can do, hopefully they just throw a new X2 my way instead of dicking around with everything I've already tried.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
My thunderbolt is starting to act weird. I'm getting random force closes on all sorts of applications, from MMS to random stuff. I also have had the home screen rotate only once on me. Can not get it to auto-rotate at all. It also will show a finger press to select an mms thread, but not bring it up unless I hit the sms a few times.

Any advice or tips?

Also, it will auto-rotate on everything but home screen and app tray. Bone stock, with a screen protector

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Boosh.

Walked in to the Verizon store, waited for like 20 minutes, told the guy my problem and what I had tried to fix it. Basically I had done what they would have done so he just ordered me a replacement. Pretty excited.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
So I'm out here on Coronado island in San Diego and I'm thinking of picking up the 10GB 4g plan, because they have us here on Sprint DSL that is pretty much the worst internet connection I've had since I was under the age of ten.

Looking at the hardware reviews seem to put the LTE in a bad light saying that it has massive issues with disconnecting and shutting itself off, and the good reviews generally come from people who live out in the sticks and have pretty much no alternatives.

I plan on pretty much staying in one spot, but would that hotspot generator be a better choice? Its negative reviews seem to just complain about a short battery life and a touchy on/off button, but those are kind of moot points when I'm not going to be trying to access the internet away from a place where I can plug in my laptop and 4g device.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Commoners posted:

So I'm out here on Coronado island in San Diego and I'm thinking of picking up the 10GB 4g plan, because they have us here on Sprint DSL that is pretty much the worst internet connection I've had since I was under the age of ten.

Looking at the hardware reviews seem to put the LTE in a bad light saying that it has massive issues with disconnecting and shutting itself off, and the good reviews generally come from people who live out in the sticks and have pretty much no alternatives.

I plan on pretty much staying in one spot, but would that hotspot generator be a better choice? Its negative reviews seem to just complain about a short battery life and a touchy on/off button, but those are kind of moot points when I'm not going to be trying to access the internet away from a place where I can plug in my laptop and 4g device.

I had the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi™ 4510L and had to return it. It was really lovely, constant disconnects and I couldn't get it to work on every laptop I needed to work on. The hand off from 4g to 3g would cause it to stop working as well. Right now I am back to using the older 3g mifi. This was in Houston and not in the middle of nowhere

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, uh, it looks like the Bionic may have competition near its launch date.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/01/droid-bionic-htc-vigor-and-new-lg-revolution-land-on-verizons-map-list/

Of particular interest is the HTC Vigor. That appears to be the one phone to rule them all. There's no way to tell exactly when they are going to come out, but it shouldn't be that far from each other.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

So, uh, it looks like the Bionic may have competition near its launch date.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/01/droid-bionic-htc-vigor-and-new-lg-revolution-land-on-verizons-map-list/

Of particular interest is the HTC Vigor. That appears to be the one phone to rule them all. There's no way to tell exactly when they are going to come out, but it shouldn't be that far from each other.

drat, the Vigor was the device we heard rumors about like a week ago. So it is definitely a phone I guess? Those are some crazy loving specs, seems Moto may have waited just a tad to long to get the Bionic out, I was afraid of that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

People have pointed out that the model number is consistent with phones and not tablets so it's looking like it could be a phone.

It will be completely awesome if Verizon gets a superphone like that before the holiday season, it's been a long time since they've been on top for devices.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Is it supposed to be 4G capable?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

jfreder posted:

Is it supposed to be 4G capable?

It would be completely and utterly loving retarded if it wasn't.

This might be the phone I pick up in November as I am confident that Verizon will not get the Nexus 3.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I will get it if it has a 5" screen with which to enjoy that ridiculous resolution.

Edit: but if the screen is 5", and it's built anything like HTC's other 4g offering, it's going to weigh 10 pounds.

Edit2: and the battery will last 37 minutes on a full charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I literally just got the gingerbread update pushed to my phone (droid x2) when I was reading this thread with the awful app ....weird.

• Locked thread