Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010
Not up yet from android phone. I'm personally really excited about this. I love vim colorschemes :x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Databending! This script lets you upload an image, twiddles about one in every four thousand bytes, and serves you the result.

vs

The problem that I'm running into right now is that not every imagehost will accept these; imgur does, but tumblr doesn't.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 24, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You're probably twiddling with the header.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
It would be very cool if you could upload an image and have it compile a GIF made out of progressively more mangled versions of the same file.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

A friend of mine recently created a Facebook event named "Official Poke Day 2011". So, of course, I had to make a userscript that automatically pokes all of my friends.

Result:

If you want to use it, then go ahead: Source code or install directly.

Note: It does not work out of the box. It doesn't detect your friends, so you manually have to extract a list of the URLs of your friends' pages and enter them into the script where it asks you to.

The easiest way I've found of doing this (assuming you run Chrome) would be going to FB RSS, logging in, opening the JavaScript console (Wrench > Tools > JavaScript console), then entering the following:

code:
$x('//tr/td[1]/a/@href').map(function(l) { return l.nodeValue; });
That should produce a list of URLs ready to be pasted into the script.

Second note: Silly as I am, I placed the "Poke all friends" link in the "Pokes" header ...which only exists if you have an incoming poke waiting. Furthermore, if you start the script, don't dismiss/return any of the pokes on that page, simply wait for the script to do its job.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You're probably twiddling with the header.

Nah, I tried leaving the first 10K alone, which should be long past any header data. Still wouldn't take it.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

Nah, I tried leaving the first 10K alone, which should be long past any header data. Still wouldn't take it.

I'm pretty sure that formats like JPG have markers scattered throughout the image defining different compression segments and a bunch of other magical stuff (had to read through the JPEG spec once, it wasn't fun).

If you mess those up and the image hosting service is trying to parse the image to generate thumbnails (or just to verify it for whatever reason) I can see them being rejected...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm pretty sure that formats like JPG have markers scattered throughout the image defining different compression segments and a bunch of other magical stuff (had to read through the JPEG spec once, it wasn't fun).

If you mess those up and the image hosting service is trying to parse the image to generate thumbnails (or just to verify it for whatever reason) I can see them being rejected...

It's unfortunate too, because that kind of out of spec stuff is exactly how you create bizarre auto-chroma artifacts (e.g. satellite mis-encodes, out spectrum tape flash, etc.). It's almost like you'd have to create your own robust JPEG interpreter, and then take a PNG screenshot of the resulting image or something.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

It's unfortunate too, because that kind of out of spec stuff is exactly how you create bizarre auto-chroma artifacts (e.g. satellite mis-encodes, out spectrum tape flash, etc.). It's almost like you'd have to create your own robust JPEG interpreter, and then take a PNG screenshot of the resulting image or something.

Well, you could decode into a bitmap, fuzz that and reencode but that would probably just make your image noisy. A JPEG interpreter that allowed you to fuzz individual regions without screwing up markers would be pretty rad though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

shodanjr_gr posted:

Maybe try the random fuzzing, check to see if the result is a valid jpg, and if it's not, try a different random fuzzing. It's gotta get a valid one eventually right?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

fletcher posted:

Maybe try the random fuzzing, check to see if the result is a valid jpg, and if it's not, try a different random fuzzing. It's gotta get a valid one eventually right?

It's like applying Bogosort to data validation!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It turns out PNGs CRC32 their chunks. Fortunately libpng has a mode that ignores failed CRCs, so I just patched imagemagick's converter to ignore failed CRCs and then had it convert png to png. The jpeg loader is resilient enough that it'll usually convert glitchy jpegs to pngs that keep the glitchy look but are technically valid, so it all works out.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

yaoi prophet posted:

It turns out PNGs CRC32 their chunks. Fortunately libpng has a mode that ignores failed CRCs, so I just patched imagemagick's converter to ignore failed CRCs and then had it convert png to png. The jpeg loader is resilient enough that it'll usually convert glitchy jpegs to pngs that keep the glitchy look but are technically valid, so it all works out.

Not so much a screenshot, but here's a site I just did (programmer design is the worst). But I made a site for a api convience library I made (mostly to provide a demo api for the library).

http://slumber.in/

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
A dumb iPad app that I wrote to play with OpenCV face detection

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/manga-booth/id451037180?mt=8

Only registered members can see post attachments!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Profane Obituary! posted:

Not so much a screenshot, but here's a site I just did (programmer design is the worst). But I made a site for a api convience library I made (mostly to provide a demo api for the library).

http://slumber.in/

That's not bad programmer design, that's loving elegance

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

nebby posted:

A dumb iPad app that I wrote to play with OpenCV face detection

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/manga-booth/id451037180?mt=8

I would unironically like to know how much money you make off this.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

NOG posted:

This is pretty amazing so far. Good for a personal project, but I would change the character, story and graphics a bit into a new game instead of releasing a Zelda because Nintendo is known to go after sites like this.

Also, I know this is a really early version, but if this helps out at all, when I went up over the vertical bridge, and tried to go back down it wouldn't let me. I fell off the ledge and went back up the stairs and across the bridge and back the other way to test it again, and it worked. So it looks like there's some kind of bug going on there.

I had a similar problem, when you are not Straight on the bridge (ie left or right not middle) it blocks you unless you are dead center.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I built a GUI to run some cable internet diagnostics software. It takes advantage of our billing/records system so we can auto-fill the necessary sections for the software to run and speeds up getting the data back from the utility so we can get it into our trouble tickets.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Visualization of women in computing timeline using processing.js just to get me coding again and learn something new. View it here.

Not sure I'm entirely done with it.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

clockwork automaton posted:

Visualization of women in computing timeline using processing.js just to get me coding again and learn something new. View it here.

Not sure I'm entirely done with it.

Oh my god. This image by itself is a hilarious joke.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

LOLLERZ posted:

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. At first I thought it was a fakepost.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

LOLLERZ posted:

I'd really like to know why.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 10, 2017

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The dots obviously represent there's more nodes on the graph. Did you really think there's only one entry on the entire website?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
It's cause they are evenly spaced it does not look like a timeline. And as there is no information above/below each dot it is unclear what they represent. To be honest I thought they marked every 5th year or something.

The site is pretty cool tho.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 10, 2017

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

clockwork automaton posted:

I'd really like to know why.

Good thing you didn't typo the title to "Woman in Computing"

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Not something that lends itself to pictures, but here's something I just worked on for the python crew:

one of my pet peeves for awhile as a python developer is that PEP-3101 introduced us the string type's 'format' method, and the official docs have specifically said that new development should use it in place of the old-style '%' operator for string interpolation. However, the place where I'm most likely to be doing a lot of string formatting, log statements, only uses the %-style format string, and after looking around without a lot of success, I whipped up a simple patching method to support PEP-3101 formatting strings, falling back to the old style if needed.
toy example:
code:
import logging
from logging_unterpolation import patch_logging
patch_logging()
logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG)
logging.debug('test')
logging.debug('%s', 'test')
logging.debug('{0}', 'test')
output:
code:
DEBUG:root:test
compared to the output from that same code segment, but WITHOUT the patch_logging:
code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 842, in emit
    msg = self.format(record)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 719, in format
    return fmt.format(record)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 464, in format
    record.message = record.getMessage()
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/logging/__init__.py", line 328, in getMessage
    msg = msg % self.args
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting
Logged from file <stdin>, line 1
it's up at bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/rdennis463/logging_unterpolation
and the goal would be a super lightweight patch for the logging module for python 2.6 - 3.x (since 2.6 introduced str.format)

uploaded to pypi:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/logging_unterpolation/0.1.0a1

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 8, 2011

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I implemented the replica exchange photon shooting method as described here in my ray tracer. It's a pretty simple algorithm that really works wonders for difficult scenes.

Naive photon shooting. Five minutes rendering time:

Replica exchange. Same render time:

The scene is lit by a single distant light with all visible paths passing through the window in the roof. The window contains a refractive medium, so there is no direct light in the scene. Simple path tracers fail miserably at scenes like these, taking hours to produce a black image with a few white spots here and there. Even MLT methods do poorly as they'd need to run for ages to properly sample the reflections on the floor and glass sphere.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

steckles posted:

I implemented the replica exchange photon shooting method as described here in my ray tracer. It's a pretty simple algorithm that really works wonders for difficult scenes.

Naive photon shooting. Five minutes rendering time:

Replica exchange. Same render time:

:aaa: That is gorgeous! Really nice results in the second image.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
I built this prototype last week to test a game idea: http://www.dangerz.net/explorer (view>source on it for more info, works best in chrome)

After liking what I had, I started coding in XNA. Here are some early screenshots:

Spaceship just sitting there.

Drilling to the left.

Flying up and off the asteroid.

Some different block types that the player can gather. In this case, some 'diamond' for stronger drill bits maybe? You can also see the player hovering here.

The asteroids are procedurally generated (similar to how I create the world in my minecraft clone). I'm thinking some kind of survival + puzzle game. I have a lot of ideas in mind for this one. I posted a lot more screenshots and info at http://dangerz.blogspot.com if anyone is interested.

Anyway, it's a fun thing to work on. I'm putting my Minecraft clone to the side temporarily while I do this.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 15, 2011

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

Never made a browser extension before so I decided to try it. I wanted to get more comfortable with jQuery DOM traversal and XHR handling so I figured I'd take a swing at cleaning up SA (both the code and appearance) over the weekend.

Here's what it looks like, only works on viewforum.php right now:

You can show page links by clicking blank space in a table row.

Things I wanna add:
  • WASD/Arrow Key Nav for jumping through threads in the list (up down to select, enter to view)
  • Popout list that shows threads from the same forum while you're reading a thread.
  • The rest of the forums.

Things I have learned:
  • jQuery continues to own.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

CaptainMeatpants posted:

Never made a browser extension before so I decided to try it. I wanted to get more comfortable with jQuery DOM traversal and XHR handling so I figured I'd take a swing at cleaning up SA (both the code and appearance) over the weekend.

Things I wanna add:
  • WASD/Arrow Key Nav for jumping through threads in the list (up down to select, enter to view)
  • Popout list that shows threads from the same forum while you're reading a thread.

Things I have learned:

Ummm, this looks amazing. When can I have this?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CaptainMeatpants posted:

Things I wanna add:

Things I have learned:

Jesus, this is a nice look.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

CaptainMeatpants posted:

Don't forget HJKL navigation :colbert:

Seriously though, this looks amazing.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
You should definitely get talking with http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423378 if you haven't already seen it.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
I really, really want to use that.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Foiltha posted:

I really, really want to use that.

I'm using Anal Volcano's extension and it is great, but the dark theme of CaptainMeatpants extension looks great as well.

Decisions...

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

Thanks for all the positive response guys. I'm just doing it as a fun little side project, but I'll put it up on github and the Chrome app store when I have a finished version.

Anal Volcano's thing is neat and I will be following it, but I think we have different project goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolex
May 5, 2001

dangerz posted:

I built this prototype last week to test a game idea:

++

this is great, keep working on this