Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Wow that HTC Vigor seems amazing. Verizon pushed me an early update a month or two back I've been sitting on and my actual upgrade is around February. That's definitely a phone I'd be willing to take a slight hit on price to upgrade to, this Dinc is getting kinda beat up. Were those listed specs all that's known about it so far? No leaks on ram/storage/sense version/screen size? I somehow managed to miss all the previous rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Baram posted:

Wow that HTC Vigor seems amazing. Verizon pushed me an early update a month or two back I've been sitting on and my actual upgrade is around February. That's definitely a phone I'd be willing to take a slight hit on price to upgrade to, this Dinc is getting kinda beat up. Were those listed specs all that's known about it so far? No leaks on ram/storage/sense version/screen size? I somehow managed to miss all the previous rumors.

There isn't much known about it at this point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, there's also still the possibility that it's not a phone at all and a Tablet (possibly Verizon's version of the Flyer?) though the model numbers right now seem to contradict that and indicate a phone.

We'll have to wait for more leaks.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Verizon needs to get a new Superphone out ASAP if they are going to snag any upgrading OG droid early adopters before their final NE2 kicks in (I think OG droid people should still have their final one coming at the beginning of September).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Scipiotik posted:

Verizon needs to get a new Superphone out ASAP if they are going to snag any upgrading OG droid early adopters before their final NE2 kicks in (I think OG droid people should still have their final one coming at the beginning of September).

That's Bionic territory. Verizon's fine.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Got my replacement X2 today, it runs much better than my last X2 and I'm noticing none of the redraw issues I had before. I went ahead and let it OTA update, I'm going to try it for a while completely stock. We'll see how that goes.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's Bionic territory. Verizon's fine.

Assuming Bionic launches the first week of September that is somewhat true, but the NE2 will probably be kicking in when, Sept. 6th?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Scipiotik posted:

Assuming Bionic launches the first week of September that is somewhat true, but the NE2 will probably be kicking in when, Sept. 6th?
The Bionic will probably be launching that first week of September, yeah.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, no, OG Droid users that got it near launch are already up for NE2. Don't forget, it's 20 months.

The OG Droid was launched November 6th which means those who got it on launch day were up for their final NE2 on July 6th. My upgrade date was a few days later at July 12th. So, I've been sitting on my final NE2.

That's one of the things that's so annoying about this. When I got the OG Droid in November of 2009, it was head and shoulders the best phone on the market. Right now, Verizon doesn't even carry a phone with those credentials.

I've actually been badgered by phone calls from Verizon asking me to use my upgrade, but I have to tell them that they don't have anything I want right now.

The final NE2 expires 6 months after you come due for it. So, a launch day OG Droid user would be safe until Jan 6th 2012 before it expires. So, I should hope something will be out by then.

However, this is where Moto really hosed up. They NEEDED to have a flagship phone on the market for July to catch all those OG Droids coming due. When faced with a 2 month wait, many are going to either buy what's on the market now or wait just a little while longer to see what the competition cooks up. Moto managed to lose a lot of sales just by not executing a timeline properly.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not to mention the fact that they're releasing a phone that's roughly the same spec's as the Atrix on AT&T (pretty much the same phone, really) but 6 full months later, right in the middle of the SGS II hype.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not to mention the fact that they're releasing a phone that's roughly the same spec's as the Atrix on AT&T (pretty much the same phone, really) but 6 full months later, right in the middle of the SGS II hype.

It's really not though. OMAP4 vs Tegra 2 and the Atrix doesn't have LTE. LTE has been the real thing holding it back since moto decided to develop their own LTE chipset.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Actually, no, OG Droid users that got it near launch are already up for NE2. Don't forget, it's 20 months.

The OG Droid was launched November 6th which means those who got it on launch day were up for their final NE2 on July 6th. My upgrade date was a few days later at July 12th. So, I've been sitting on my final NE2.

That's one of the things that's so annoying about this. When I got the OG Droid in November of 2009, it was head and shoulders the best phone on the market. Right now, Verizon doesn't even carry a phone with those credentials.

I've actually been badgered by phone calls from Verizon asking me to use my upgrade, but I have to tell them that they don't have anything I want right now.

The final NE2 expires 6 months after you come due for it. So, a launch day OG Droid user would be safe until Jan 6th 2012 before it expires. So, I should hope something will be out by then.

However, this is where Moto really hosed up. They NEEDED to have a flagship phone on the market for July to catch all those OG Droids coming due. When faced with a 2 month wait, many are going to either buy what's on the market now or wait just a little while longer to see what the competition cooks up. Moto managed to lose a lot of sales just by not executing a timeline properly.

My confusion was Verizon said my NE2 wasn't active yet, turns out they think it isn't active until August next year, great, that will be a fun phone call to find out how they managed to gently caress that one up.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

People have pointed out that the model number is consistent with phones and not tablets so it's looking like it could be a phone.

It will be completely awesome if Verizon gets a superphone like that before the holiday season, it's been a long time since they've been on top for devices.

Its a phone, I can say that for sure. Anything more and I can get into trouble.. :)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

When faced with a 2 month wait, many are going to either buy what's on the market now
Which is either battery-sucking LTE devices or other Motorola products.

bull3964 posted:

or wait just a little while longer to see what the competition cooks up.
Think a dual-core LTE anything is going to beat the Bionic to market?

bull3964 posted:

Moto managed to lose a lot of sales just by not executing a timeline properly.
Not really, you're all still under contract until November right? What's left of the prorated ETF? I suppose some folks might split now for an Evo 3D or Sensation, but really, OG Droid folks are probably going to end up with a Motorola product one way or another. Except folks going iPhone, but I feel those folks were going to go iPhone no matter what.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nothing is going to beat Moto to market as a dual core LTE device, but there's likely to be several to launch in the month of September.

Moto has garnered a lot of negative sentiment over the delays of this phone, delays of the Xoom LTE upgrade, locked bootloaders, and pentile screens. Many who would have jumped on the Bionic last month have resigned to wait to see if HTC or Samsung delivers on something more compelling since they are waiting anyways.

I'm not sure battery life is such a barrier to entry for someone who was thinking about buying the Bionic since I think it's pretty much accepted that all LTE phones are going to suck down the power.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 2, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Nothing is going to beat Moto to market as a dual core LTE device, but there's likely to be several to launch in the month of September.

Moto has garnered a lot of negative sentiment over the delays of this phone, delays of the Xoom LTE upgrade, locked bootloaders, and pentile screens. Many who would have jumped on the Bionic last month have resigned to wait to see if HTC or Samsung delivers on something more compelling since they are waiting anyways.

I'm not sure battery life is such a barrier to entry for someone who was thinking about buying the Bionic since I think it's pretty much accepted at all LTE phones are going to suck down the power.

I know that my excitement over the Bionic has gotten lower as the months have passed. I was definitely going to pick it up when I was ready for an upgrade but I just don't know anymore. With the talk of that HTC and the possibility of the Nexus 3 the specs all of a sudden blow my mind a lot less.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure battery life is such a barrier to entry for someone who was thinking about buying the Bionic since I think it's pretty much accepted at all LTE phones are going to suck down the power.
Except that's not something inherent to LTE, and it's speculated that the whole reason for the delay is Motorola rolling out their own LTE baseband, presumably to address said power concerns.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I’m finally about to upgrade my ancient dumb phone and join the rest of the world in the 21st century. I’m looking at Android phones, and trying to figure out the data plan options. Specifically, what’s the difference between 4G and mobile broadband? I guess these are different things? On the data plan, why does there seem to be two pricing schedules, one of them with the description called “included mobile hotspot”?

I see myself browsing the web a lot, but don’t need to download movies or listen to streaming music. I’m guessing I don’t need massive amounts of data. Any particular plans I should look at or avoid?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Specifically, what’s the difference between 4G and mobile broadband?
4G LTE is a communications technology, basically it means faster data but (at present) in limited markets. Eventually Verizon will be running LTE exclusively, but that's quite a ways off. There's no service price difference between 3G and 4G for smartphones, it's just that only three smartphones actually have LTE support at present.

Mobile broadband typically refers to USB sticks/hotspots that provide data connectivity for non-phones: laptops, tablets, etc. So probably not what you're looking for.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

On the data plan, why does there seem to be two pricing schedules, one of them with the description called “included mobile hotspot”?
You can use your phone as a "mobile hotspot" to provide data connectivity for WiFi-enabled devices (laptops, tablets, etc.). Basically it's a way of combining phone service and mobile broadband into one thing, but they charge you more than if you just had a regular phone data plan.

Although, with some hackery, you can usually use Android phones as mobile hotspots without paying extra. It's something Verizon would prefer you not do however.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I see myself browsing the web a lot, but don’t need to download movies or listen to streaming music. I’m guessing I don’t need massive amounts of data. Any particular plans I should look at or avoid?
The 2 GB for $30/mo plan is sufficient for that purpose.

The only other trick to be aware is that you can cut your texting costs with Google Voice and doing free texting over data. However, folks will have to text to a different phone number than they call you on (for in-network calling anyways).

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/02/motorola-droid-bionic-specs-revealed-ti-omap-4430-dual-core-cpu/

Bionic specs leaked.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Absolutely nothing shocking here at all.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So I loaded up a ROM on my Charge this week that's based on the latest Gingerbread leak from Verizon.

First day: 20 hours on the battery with moderate usage and LTE on full-time.

The GB builds are just awesome with battery, and this isn't even the fully released version yet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wonder how they fare on the Thunderbolt.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Are people really that motivated to buy a phone before their NE2 expires? I used to get $100 for NE2. This time around it was only $30. I let it come and go b/c i was waiting for better phones to come out. I'd rather lose a $30 discount than be stuck with an impulse phone buy because i felt i had to use my NE2.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ernie Luckman posted:

Are people really that motivated to buy a phone before their NE2 expires? I used to get $100 for NE2. This time around it was only $30. I let it come and go b/c i was waiting for better phones to come out. I'd rather lose a $30 discount than be stuck with an impulse phone buy because i felt i had to use my NE2.

I'd like to save it, but I'm like you - I'm not going to buy a device I won't enjoy (i.e. a phone without a keyboard) just to save :10bux:*5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It takes 6 months the NE2 to expire after it becomes active. I can't imagine holding out longer than 3 months for a "perfect device" as something newer and better is always going to be on the horizon.

Typically it isn't the expiration of NE2 that's motivating people anyways. Most devices get kind of annoying and painful to use much beyond 20 months.

If it weren't for my Xoom, I think I would have probably grabbed one of the 3 LTE phones avalible right now. Fortunately though, I have a high powered device to use android on and only have to suffer my phone's quirks when I don't have it around.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

It takes 6 months the NE2 to expire after it becomes active. I can't imagine holding out longer than 3 months for a "perfect device" as something newer and better is always going to be on the horizon.

I've already been holding out for longer than three months, and the only blip that came up on the radar was the Droid 3 before we knew it had no LTE.

So yeah. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think there are any LTE equipped keyboard devices even rumored at this point so I think you are probably out of luck there.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

bull3964 posted:

I don't think there are any LTE equipped keyboard devices even rumored at this point so I think you are probably out of luck there.

Isn't there an Epic 4G clone coming?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Ernie Luckman posted:

How do you know how much your NE2 discount will be? I understand that it is now a thing of the past, but I didn't know they'd slashed the amount you receive for those who still have one coming. Mine has always been $100 in the past, so I'd like to be able to figure out what I'll be getting before I go in and get shafted.

E: I went to Verizon's FAQ, duh.

"If you were enrolled in the program on February 15, 2009 or later, you are eligible for a credit of up to $30 or $50 depending on your plan, with a two-year renewal. If you were enrolled prior to February 15, 2009 and continue to meet the requirements of the program, you will qualify for a credit of up to $50 or $100, depending on your plan."

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 3, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bambi posted:

Isn't there an Epic 4G clone coming?

We know there's going to be a samsung with a sliding keyboard. We do not know if it's going to be LTE or when it's coming out.

Keep in mind that we are on 1st gen LTE radios. There are compromises inherent with including them in devices and manufacturers may not want to take the necessary tradeoffs to have them. So, it's difficult to look at a wimax device and assume it's clone is going to have LTE as the design goals for the device may not allow it right now.

Also, I really wouldn't get excited over an Epic clone even if it is LTE. Most people don't have fond things to say about the Sprint version.

Edit:

Actually, leaked photos seem to indicate a 4G icon in the notification area, so signs are looking good for it to be LTE. It will still likely be a single core device with 512mb of ram.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 3, 2011

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
My wife just knocked my iphone into a pot of water...great! What replacement options do I have? I know Verizon/Apple are very unlikely to replace a phone due to water damage. I'm trying the rice trick in the mean time but are there any cheaper options than just buying a brand new iPhone for $649 if this doesn't work besides buying used? I'm not looking for anything shady/scammy, I just want to save money if I possibly can.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you add an additional line, you should be able to buy one at the subsidized price. You can just leave the line without a phone activiated to it (or a dumbphone if you have one lying around so as you don't need to add data to the line.) I know my cousin did this recently because he jumped into a pool with his phone.

You come out slightly ahead as you would be paying $199 now plus $240 over two years to bring you to $440 rather than $650 right now.

I've actually contemplated adding a 2nd line exactly one year out of phase from my normal contract so that I would be able to buy yearly subsidized phones. The residual value of the old phone would likely cover the $240 in additional line charges.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Dracon Wolf posted:

My wife just knocked my iphone into a pot of water

Someone recently itt found an iPhone at the bottom of the fountain, carefully dried it out and found it to still functional. So you might wait until you're 100% sure your phone is dead before spending lots of cash.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
It still turns on (actually, it won't stay off...every time I shut it off it automatically turns back on) and the touch screen still functions. The only things not working are the home button and the ringer on/off button. I'm also getting the "this accessory is not optimized to work with this device" message every now and again.

We'll see. I put it in a baggie with silica crystals. Hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks though Bull, that is at least cheaper than the full price of a new one. Won't they get a little curious though if I'm buying an iPhone to transfer to a line that already has an iPhone on it?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Dracon Wolf posted:

Thanks though Bull, that is at least cheaper than the full price of a new one. Won't they get a little curious though if I'm buying an iPhone to transfer to a line that already has an iPhone on it?
What do they care? They get your money either way.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If you add an additional line, you should be able to buy one at the subsidized price.
Subsidized smartphones should require a data plan on a new line. They definitely do if you're setting up a new three-line family plan, as opposed to adding a third line to an existing plan.

If they're letting you do that, that's a bug in their ordering system.

Athenry posted:

What do they care? They get your money either way.
No, that's the point. A contract ETF is $350. Add on a non-prorated single month of an added-line with cheapest data service ($40) and activation fee ($35) and you're at $625, which is just shy of the retail price.

The problem here is going to be the contract terms. I don't have them handy, but it's quite likely there's a statement to the affect that "adding a line with a subsidized smartphone requires maintaining a qualified data plan for the duration of the contract" or some poo poo, which they may end up holding one to.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 3, 2011

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Actually...am I reading this right? Apple will replace your water damaged iphone for $199 if you go into a genius bar? If so I have absolutely no problem at all doing that. Is this true? Does anyone know about this?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

NewcastleBrown posted:

E: I went to Verizon's FAQ, duh.

"If you were enrolled in the program on February 15, 2009 or later, you are eligible for a credit of up to $30 or $50 depending on your plan, with a two-year renewal. If you were enrolled prior to February 15, 2009 and continue to meet the requirements of the program, you will qualify for a credit of up to $50 or $100, depending on your plan."

I thought when the 2 years was up you got the same subsidy as a brand new customer. Do you really only get $30 or $50 off now?

Is there anything preventing me from just ending my service and starting up a brand new contract with the new customer subsidy? I guess I would lose my unlimited data and phone number but if that saves me $400 or whatever then I'm fine with that. In fact if that's how it is I'll just go sprint or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Dracon Wolf posted:

Actually...am I reading this right? Apple will replace your water damaged iphone for $199 if you go into a genius bar? If so I have absolutely no problem at all doing that. Is this true? Does anyone know about this?

Apple is known for being very generous with their replacement policy. Take it up there and see what they can do, you might even get one for free.

• Locked thread