Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That's what he said: "I suspect Eternal Punishment will be their final PSP game."

Hurf I'm retarded and can't read words. I read this'll instead of that'll.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SpaceDrake posted:

They still need to MAKE a proper PSP version of EP, though. I highly suspect that'll be Atlus' swan song for the PSP and their last title for the system.

Nope, then a P4 remake so that every single Persona game (so far) is on one system. :v:

So the first Persona is pretty bad right, in spite of the remake?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's the bonus character storyline? I'm guessing you don't mean the difference between red and blue side right?

Losing the graveyard save screen would be a tragedy though.

I'm actually not sure if it's PSP-exclusive anymore, but the bonus storyline I'm talking about (which is really just a palette swap with some dialog alterations) is Yggdra route, which changes the main chick into Yggdra from Yggdra Union.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

So the first Persona is pretty bad right, in spite of the remake?

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's not the worst thing I've played by a long shot. But the game needed an overhaul instead of minor fixes.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Welp, I'm addicted to final fantasy tactics. First SRPG I've ever really liked. Anyone have a site that could direct me in the right direction for jobs?

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Gamefaqs has pretty much everything you'll ever need. You can go with any job really, only archers are really lacking.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

MotU posted:

I dunno, they tend to hang onto systems a little longer than their main lives. Persona 4 for the PS2 and now Devil Survivor 2 for the DS (rather than 3DS). I could see an EP game coming out for the PSP

All Persona-related discussion aside, I think your post illustrates that Atlus isn't hanging on to dying systems so much as sticking with proven platforms. The PS2 outlived its expected lifespan for a long time, thanks to the PS3 being quite underwhelming at launch - not to mention continuing to underwhelm for the first year or so after launch. The 3DS is showing the same lethargic start as the PS3, so it only makes sense that developers and publishers would continue to cash in on the DS market.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My usual FFT routine is to take 2 fighters and 2 casters along with the main character. Grind Auto-potion for everyone, 2 Swords for the fighters and Short Charge for the casters. Then dump one fighter when Agrias joins, and dump the other when Orlandu joins.

There's probably better ways to do this, but this is pretty simple and works well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Messing around with the job system is pretty much 50% of the point of Final Fantasy Tactics. Just try things out and see what you like - for example I hate the charge mechanics so I never bothered with archer (and you will find a lot of people hate the charge mechanics!) Another example is that I hate bravery/zodiac manipulation so I never bothered with oracle either.

The only thing I would ever suggest is getting auto potion on Ramza sometime early in the game. There's a showstopper of a fight mid-game that can cause a lot of new players a lot of rage. There's better ways of going about it but auto potion is pretty much the simplest while letting you figure the rest of the fight out for yourself (or new/different tactics).

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 29, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
When you say grind for a skill, what exactly do you mean? An example: I want all of my characters to be able to give out potions when I need them. So I change them all to chemist until I level up his job, than switch than back to what they originally were. Is that what you mean?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

casual poster posted:

When you say grind for a skill, what exactly do you mean? An example: I want all of my characters to be able to give out potions when I need them. So I change them all to chemist until I level up his job, than switch than back to what they originally were. Is that what you mean?

No, it means you grind and grind and grind to get the AP needed to unlock the specific ability you want; job levels don't affect what skills you can buy. In the case of items, everyone can use Items by default, but you need to spend time in Chemist to unlock better items (e.g Hi Potions and X Potions) and the ability to Throw Items (Increases range of use from 1 panel to 4). Once you buy the abilities you want, then you can switch to whatever other job you're interested in and add Item as your secondary ability.

Job levels, on the other hand, are used to unlock better jobs. It's worth it to spend time getting job levels in a variety of jobs to see what you can unlock... or use a FAQ and unlock what you specifically want.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Gah, this FFT talk is making me want to go and play through the PSP version again. What an utterly fantastic port. Those cutscenes are gorgeous.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Vrikkian posted:

Gah, this FFT talk is making me want to go and play through the PSP version again. What an utterly fantastic port. Those cutscenes are gorgeous.

Get it on the iPad and play the ultimate version! Good translation, cutscenes, extra jobs and no slowdown!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

As for the glitch: Use the Confirm and Cancel button at the same time when selecting a tile to move to. If you're successful, you'll move to that tile and still be able to move again as many times as you want so long as you keep repeating the glitch. This lets you get into the action quick, or surround an enemy unit with all characters to kill it quickly.

I never got this glitch to work, but it didn't really matter since as you said, you get most of these rewards and characters anyway. The game's pretty winnable, no worries.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Vrikkian posted:

Man this game is great, haven't been this addicted to a game in awhile!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I should probably finish that 1.13 FFT playthrough but even 1.13 Lite is pretty painful without moderate power gaming.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A sad day for egg grinders everywhere. :smith:

http://www.destructoid.com/grandia-creator-takeshi-miyaji-dies-aged-45-207622.phtml

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's the best pick, Y's Chronicle of Legend of Heroes? Or can I find a better Y's anthology somewhere else other than the PSP.

iastudent posted:

A sad day for egg grinders everywhere. :smith:

http://www.destructoid.com/grandia-creator-takeshi-miyaji-dies-aged-45-207622.phtml

drat, they never could surpass that feeling the first Grandia had.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Honest Thief posted:

What's the best pick, Y's Chronicle of Legend of Heroes? Or can I find a better Y's anthology somewhere else other than the PSP.

I found Legend of Heroes to be better than Ys Chronicles.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

drat, they never could surpass that feeling the first Grandia had.
You know I never played that back in the day. Worth playing now?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If you don't mind the 3d graphics, they're not bad just old, then it's still an amazing game. You could release it today and it would still blown everything away.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

If you don't mind the 3d graphics, they're not bad just old, then it's still an amazing game. You could release it today and it would still blown everything away.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that came out in 97. Way ahead of its time and on the wrong system.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, it's hard to believe that came out in 97. Way ahead of its time and on the wrong system.

I'm playing it now and it's...okay? I'm not sure what blew people away.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Morpheus posted:

It's completely charming and feels like an incredible adventure when you get into it, something not many RPGs have been able to match. Maybe for someone only just playing it now it wouldn't be as good though idk

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is the PC version of Grandia 2 worth tracking down? My Dreamcast is on the fritz and I've heard the PS2 version had some issues.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I played it when it was released for the PSX and had the same impression. It's not a bad game, but it certainly didn't pull me in the way it has so many others. The graphics were OK for the time - maybe they were fabulous on the Saturn in '97, but on the PSX in late '99 they were already starting to look dated. Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm in the drastic minority of jRPG players who don't like anime. The music struck me as repetitive; I found it transitioned from 'fitting' to 'grating' fairly quickly. The story... I actually can't remember the story. I remember combat being a lot of fun, though, and that's probably why I remember it as a merely OK game. I can forgive a lot of RPG nonsense and bullshit if the combat is fun (see: FFIX).

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

iastudent posted:

Is the PC version of Grandia 2 worth tracking down? My Dreamcast is on the fritz and I've heard the PS2 version had some issues.

PC version is pretty drat good from what I remember, but I never played the PS2 version and i've enjoyed lovely ports like Saints Row 2 PC so I might be biased

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I played the PS2 version and found it fine tbh

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

iastudent posted:

All non-pal versions of Grandia 2 are fine.
The pal versions had hilarious bugs due to desynchronization between what happened during cutscenes and camera movement.

"WHAT IS THIS MONSTER ?"
*camera shows a wall*

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The PS2 version of Grandia II has some kinda ugly textures in spots, but other than that it's perfectly fine. My only real complaint with the game is it's way too easy. But I still enjoy it enough to replay it sometimes. If I could only take the difficulty level from Grandia III and apply it to Grandia II, that would make it close to perfect for me.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Just bought Grandia on PSN and oh man, the PSX era loading times, the frame rate chugs, it's all coming back. Still love the game but wow its been a while.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Honest Thief posted:

Just bought Grandia on PSN and oh man, the PSX era loading times, the frame rate chugs, it's all coming back. Still love the game but wow its been a while.

You know what I don't get about PSN PS1 games?

Why they kept everything exactly the same, so slowdown is the same, load times are the same, even the loving resolution, the easiest possible way to make these games look better, is kept exactly the same...

Why?!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did we play the same Grandia 2? The ps2 version lags in towns so horribly it's almost unplayable.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

al-azad posted:

Did we play the same Grandia 2? The ps2 version lags in towns so horribly it's almost unplayable.
iirc, it was only that one town.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc, it was only that one town.

I got it in every major town. I don't remember the names but it was the one with the tongue demon and the big city. I'm sure I got it elsewhere but you spend so much time in those areas it was crippling.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know what I don't get about PSN PS1 games?

Why they kept everything exactly the same, so slowdown is the same, load times are the same, even the loving resolution, the easiest possible way to make these games look better, is kept exactly the same...

Why?!

Considering there's load times, despite there being no disc, my question is more "how"?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Considering there's load times, despite there being no disc, my question is more "how"?

It probably throttles the read speed in an attempt to avoid some rare compatibility issues. They probably see accuracy as more important than improvements (see also pSX vs ePSXe and PCSX). IIRC Nintendo's also pretty big on accurate-to-the-slowdown emulators for VC games and other rereleases. In some ways it's easier to be accurate, especially when you have all the documentation you could ever need.

Relatedly, one of the most common fixes for ps2 games not working in hdloader is to set modes 1 and 3. One of those takes the loader out of memory when the game starts and the other one is a speed limit for the hard disk.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 4, 2011

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think the loading times itself might be faster, but the emulator wont help with the frequency of loads, since the emulator does its job thoroughly and the psx had crap memory, like every console. So you're still loading everytime you call up the menu go into battles etc...

edit:nah wait, it's definitely taking in account the PSX cd drive reading speed, on the other hand saving has never been faster.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Holy crap, amazon is offering some awesome deals on portable RPGs this week:

http://rpgland.com/rpg-deals/rpg-deals-814-820/ posted:

Chrono Trigger (DS) $15
Dawn of Heroes (DS) $10
Dissidia 012: Duodecim (PSP) $20
Dragon Quest IV (DS) $20