Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dave Lagana had a pretty fantastic line about Vince today. He compared it to Steven Spielberg doing Jurassic Park.

"I dont like how the t-rex looked at me in catering. I'm going to job out the t-rex."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

triplexpac posted:

A guy asked Vince about the drug and steroid testing program from years ago, and Vince said he didn't understand the question and told the guy to stand up and take his shirt off. Those dirty words ended the Q and A quite abruptly.

Yep, that was Brent.

Also noteworthy is the story of how Bryan Alvarez met Brent Kremen. Bryan was once at a WWE house show, when he saw a guy get evicted from the arena after throwing a bottle of water at Sid. He thought to himself, "Jesus Christ, what a weirdo". Sometime later Bryan was at another show and started talking to a guy who bragged about having once been kicked out of a WWE show for throwing a bottle at a wrestler... and the rest is history.

Borh fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 3, 2011

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Borh posted:

Yep, that was Brent.

Also noteworthy is the story of how Bryan Alvarez met Brent Kremen. Bryan was once at a WWE house show, when he saw a guy get evicted from the arena after throwing a bottle of water at Sid. He thought to himself, "Jesus Christ, what a weirdo". Sometime later Bryan was at another show and started talking to a guy who bragged about having once been kicked out of a WWE show for throwing a bottle at a wrestler... and the rest is history.

I thought he also brought a squeegee to mess with him but I may be misrembering the story.

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
Johnny Saint is on the Art of Wrestling. I'm only a little way through. Pretty good so far, Colt sounds kinda nervous.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I unironically want WWE to implement Bryan's bodyslam streak idea.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Oatgan posted:

Me too. They also have to make reference to the God of Bodyslams each time.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
He fretted over there not being enough weeks to get the streak to 28 before Wrestlemania 28. But I don't think he thought of PPVs. Plus, if you HAVE to do that, randomly have him do it on Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It would be glorious to see 10 minute Zeke matches every week on Smackdown to fit in 20+ bodyslams.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
He looks gassed at about the fourth one. If he tried to go for 20, he'd just fall backwards at some point and the other guy would pin him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

He looks gassed at about the fourth one. If he tried to go for 20, he'd just fall backwards at some point and the other guy would pin him.

I was about to say "it is funny how scrawny Bryan Danielson would do poo poo like repeated body slams in his long matches and never get winded but Zeke can't..." (ignoring that wrestling is fake and it isn't hard for a little guy to do one) when I realized: DANIEL BRYAN NEEDS THE BODYSLAM STREAK.

Have him do one body slam one week. Then two in a row the next. Then three. When he does four or five people will notice. It will get over, and this will get him over in time for his inevitable cash in.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Yeah, just about any gimmick that showcases how Bryan is a great technical wrestler and actually a pretty tough guy and not, in fact, a NERD would work great for him, because he can then back it up in the ring. I think people can naturally see that, which is why he managed to get relatively over even with poor booking and Cole burying him, but sometimes you need a hook to really bring it home, and something like that could be it.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Borh posted:

Could be worked into elimination tag matches. The team captain will send out the other members of his team to eat bodyslams and even sacrifice a lesser member if it means he has a better chance at pinning the big man.

Zeke should yell "WHO WANTS SOME BODYSLAMS?!" before he starts then the announcers would say "Bodyslams?!" and "Mr Bodyslammin' Machine Go!"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bryan: "I hope my kids don't want to see me wrestle."
Dave: "Well, they'd never let you wrestle on wrestlemania anyway"

Bubble -> Burst.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Borh posted:

Yeah, just about any gimmick that showcases how Bryan is a great technical wrestler and actually a pretty tough guy and not, in fact, a NERD would work great for him, because he can then back it up in the ring. I think people can naturally see that, which is why he managed to get relatively over even with poor booking and Cole burying him, but sometimes you need a hook to really bring it home, and something like that could be it.

Nobody listens to Michael Cole to form their opinions on wrestlers. He's annoying and his commentary has been lovely as hell and they're using his tremendous heat generating potential in all the wrong ways but calling Daniel Bryan a nerd isn't making a single person on the entire planet think,"Man I guess I shouldn't support Daniel Bryan, because that guy who everybody hates and thinks is stupid says he is a nerd."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Nobody listens to Michael Cole to form their opinions on wrestlers. He's annoying and his commentary has been lovely as hell and they're using his tremendous heat generating potential in all the wrong ways but calling Daniel Bryan a nerd isn't making a single person on the entire planet think,"Man I guess I shouldn't support Daniel Bryan, because that guy who everybody hates and thinks is stupid says he is a nerd."

You over-estimate people. Cole is such a constant presence that sometimes his stupidity gets through to some people eventually which colours their opinion on guys like Daniel Bryan, who is outside the WWE norm physique wise people aren't too sure about.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think people are actively taking their cues about who to like from Michael Cole, but he's more insidious and does more harm than you'd think. The problem is, he's actually very good at what he does, so while he's being over the top and ranting wildly, he's actually saying a few things that are true. So when he says, for example "look at that guy, he's so small, how can he call himself a wrestler?" or when he harps on about botched spots or clunky moves or how bad a match is, he's actively drawing your attention to stuff that a good announcer should be covering up. And then subconsciously you might go "hey, that guy really doesn't look very physically impressive" or, "yeah, he really screwed up there", or "this isn't a good match" and then get hung up on that instead of whatever positive qualities a wrestler or a match might have.

It's like he read a textbook about how to do pro-wrestling commentary and is doing the exact opposite. And drat the man, he's really good at it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Personally I think people are far more likely to say,"Michael Cole said something, I now believe the opposite," than anything else.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Personally I think people are far more likely to say,"Michael Cole said something, I now believe the opposite," than anything else.

More than "Michael Cole said something, now I want him to shut up"?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jackson would get winded by the 10th bodyslam.

Reminds me of a thing Jake Roberts did to Sting. Sting somehow upset Jake Roberts during the match and so Jake kept telling him to hit bodyslams, one after the other. by about the 7th or 8th in a row Sting started blowing up and Jake kept on making him do more bodyslams.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I can not recommend Colt's latest podcast with Johnny Saint enough. It's a fantastic episode, and extremely interesting to hear Johnny Saint's story. Listening to Colt himself being in drat near awe talking and interviewing his idol, trying his best to hold back his fanboy-ness is cool too.

Art of Wrestling is by far the best wrestling podcast, and this is one of the best episodes so far, if not the best.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 4, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Rythian posted:

I can not recommend Colt's latest podcast with Johnny Saint enough. It's a fantastic episode, and extremely interesting to hear Johnny Saint's story. Listening to Colt himself being in drat near awe talking and interviewing his idol, trying his best to hold back his fanboy-ness is cool too.

Art of Wrestling is by far the best wrestling podcast, and this is one of the best episodes so far, if not the best.

It's downloading now, but that sounds drat adorable. I always love when an interviewer so obviously admires/loves the subject they're talking to. Not only does that usually mean any interviewer with basic talent will shut up and let their idol talk, it's also just kinda cute to hear a grown man meet an idol.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Reminds me of when I took my brother to a TNA house show. He hasn't really kept up with wrestling since around the Invasion, but I'll be damned if he didn't completely mark out for Kurt Angle. Adorable.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Rythian posted:

Out of interest, does it spoil Chikarasaurus Rex results at all? I'm really looking forward to listening to it but I'm still trying to avoid spoilers

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I want to give "Between the ropes" another go but worry that the show isnt as good as it was when Dickerman was on the show, is it worth checking out?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

I was about to say "it is funny how scrawny Bryan Danielson would do poo poo like repeated body slams in his long matches and never get winded but Zeke can't..." (ignoring that wrestling is fake and it isn't hard for a little guy to do one) when I realized: DANIEL BRYAN NEEDS THE BODYSLAM STREAK.

Have him do one body slam one week. Then two in a row the next. Then three. When he does four or five people will notice. It will get over, and this will get him over in time for his inevitable cash in.

The cash in will be the longest in history when he spends fifteen minutes trying to work in 20 bodyslams, each more glorious than the last.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Bryan: "Maybe Foley wants to wrestle The Rock! :)"

Dave: "Not gonna happen."

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Oatgan posted:

I was laughing so loving hard at the idea, I almost died, the way both Bryan and Vinny played it off as a semi-serious suggestion only made it 200% funnier.

"YOU WON'T GET 20 BODYSLAMS OUT OF ME"

Also, lol at Todd being all mad at Dave Meltzer mocking the fans that can't accept the fact Fedor lost. "YOU ONLY DO THIS TO US FEDOR FANS ;_;"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SGRaaize posted:

I was laughing so loving hard at the idea, I almost died, the way both Bryan and Vinny played it off as a semi-serious suggestion only made it 200% funnier.

Also, lol at Todd being all mad at Dave Meltzer mocking the fans that can't accept the fact Fedor lost. "YOU ONLY DO THIS TO US FEDOR FANS ;_;"

Oh god Todd Martin went off on a Fedor apologism rant? I may have to listen to that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

It's goofy, but it's literally better than a gimmick WWE are running RIGHT NOW. Give Johnny Curtis the bodyslam streak and I guarantee he's more over than he is with the stupid figure of speech bit. At least Ryder or Santino ranting about not letting him get the next milestone is something that can plausibly lead to a match.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

SGRaaize posted:

Oh, Todd dickrides Fedor? I don't listen to Todd shows so I never really knew. Makes complete sense.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

ChampRamp posted:

Oh, Todd dickrides Fedor? I don't listen to Todd shows so I never really knew. Makes complete sense.

He really cried like a baby over it too. How anyone enjoys Todd is beyond me. Him advertising that he'll be on the Sherdog roundtable for the next UFC forced me to make a mental note not to listen to that roundtable.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

Can you imagine the nuclear heel heat someone would get for getting them self counted out to avoid bodyslams? It would be among the most dastardly moves of all time.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

apsouthern posted:

Out of interest, does it spoil Chikarasaurus Rex results at all? I'm really looking forward to listening to it but I'm still trying to avoid spoilers

No, they don't mention anything about what happened in their match, nor anything else about the show. Except that people showed tremendous respect to Johnny Saint in the locker room.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oatgan posted:

Can you imagine the nuclear heel heat someone would get for getting them self counted out to avoid bodyslams? It would be among the most dastardly moves of all time.

And then someone else runs in behind them, grabs them by the tights and the collar, and launches them back into the ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lance is getting a bit too holier than thou. Bitching about his friends wanting to try TRT was so stupid. You only live once, why not try to live it to its fullest and keep doing the things you love to do to your maximum capacity? It is under the supervision of a doctor, not having a dude stick a needle full of horse steroids in your rear end backstage.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Gaz-L posted:

It's goofy, but it's literally better than a gimmick WWE are running RIGHT NOW. Give Johnny Curtis the bodyslam streak and I guarantee he's more over than he is with the stupid figure of speech bit. At least Ryder or Santino ranting about not letting him get the next milestone is something that can plausibly lead to a match.

Come on now, I don't think Bryan Alvarez was that serious when suggesting it, he was being cheeky and facetious.

The gimmick would work with someone like Santino, maybe a Santino/Zack Ryder figure that also happens to be strong (Bring back Festus?).

But this gimmick wouldn't put Johnny Curtis over, come on now. Not saying its not a entertaining idea, its just not a gimmick to give to someone you want to put over anytime soon.

Euthyphro posted:

He really cried like a baby over it too. How anyone enjoys Todd is beyond me. Him advertising that he'll be on the Sherdog roundtable for the next UFC forced me to make a mental note not to listen to that roundtable.

I like Todd Martin and I think he's sharp in a certain aspects, but he is definitely a cry-baby when it comes to Fedor losing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

Come on now, I don't think Bryan Alvarez was that serious when suggesting it, he was being cheeky and facetious.

The gimmick would work with someone like Santino, maybe a Santino/Zack Ryder figure that also happens to be strong (Bring back Festus?).

But this gimmick wouldn't put Johnny Curtis over, come on now. Not saying its not a entertaining idea, its just not a gimmick to give to someone you want to put over anytime soon.

I'm not saying it's a ticket to the Wrestlemania main event, I'm saying it's better than what they actually have Curtis doing. That goofy tongue-in-cheek idea is better than something WWE are really doing with new talent. That's my point.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
Ah, yes, you're right, I misinterpreted you.
Either ways, its a brilliant gimmick, and I want to see Chikara using it or something

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

Lance is getting a bit too holier than thou. Bitching about his friends wanting to try TRT was so stupid. You only live once, why not try to live it to its fullest and keep doing the things you love to do to your maximum capacity? It is under the supervision of a doctor, not having a dude stick a needle full of horse steroids in your rear end backstage.

I've actually been a break from Storm for the last 2 months or so for reasons similar to this. Not to say he's right or wrong here, but he comes off as sanctimonious a great deal of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I've actually been a break from Storm for the last 2 months or so for reasons similar to this. Not to say he's right or wrong here, but he comes off as sanctimonious a great deal of the time.

Agreed. I quit taking him seriously when he went on his UFC is complicit in pushing steroids rant.

• Locked thread