Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Galler posted:

Do you really only get $30 or $50 off now?
NE2 is an additional discount off the subsidized rate. So folks are getting $199 devices for $169 or $149 with $30 or $50 discounts respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

NE2 is an additional discount off the subsidized rate. So folks are getting $199 devices for $169 or $149 with $30 or $50 discounts respectively.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
So this is interesting.

Anyone think this is real?

Says the Bionic will drop 9/8 as well as the Samsung Stratosphere (4G and GB). The HTC Vigor is supposedly coming 10/5 as well.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 4, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think I can bring myself to buy the Bionic with the Vigor coming out so soon after it (unless it doesn't live up to the rumors.) Hopefully more info about the Vigor will surface before the Bionic goes on sale.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

bull3964 posted:

I don't think I can bring myself to buy the Bionic with the Vigor coming out so soon after it (unless it doesn't live up to the rumors.) Hopefully more info about the Vigor will surface before the Bionic goes on sale.

Same boat, I'll probably be holding off to find out what the Vigor's story is and then either wait it out or snag a phone then.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I'm hoping the Stratosphere is Verizon's SGSII now that it looks to be 4G capable.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Exactly, with the Vigor, (possibly) Nexus 3 and the iPhone 5 coming out so soon, the Bionic all of a sudden doesn't seem so spectacular. I realize that they were probably holding it back because of the 4G but they've held it back now to the point where it isn't going to dominate nearly as much as it could have. I'm not even interested in the Bionic at this point, with the pentile display (I like my X2 display fine, but if I can have one without it I will take it), the webtop crap possibly eating up RAM and the rumors swirling around Verizon's winter road map the Bionic seems pretty meh.

Really hope we get some more information about the Vigor, with my Nov. upgrade coming up it seems like it might be perfect.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Alright, I'm not quite sure how to get my head around this. I've got a two-year contract that is ending on 9/1/11, and a Blackberry Tour 9630. My plan is the Nationwide Talk 450, which I've been using for years and years, with an unlimited data plan (this isn't my first Blackberry). I'm also NE2 eligible right now.

I want to switch over to an Android phone, and it looks like in September the new phones are coming out. Thing is, my contract is ending on 9/1. I know that will switch me over to a MtM dealie, but will that cause me to lose my unlimited data plan as far as being grandfathered in? I plan on staying with Verizon, so I wanted to purchase a new phone with a 2-year plan for the discount (and use my NE2 if possible), but it seems like I'm a week or two shy of being able to do everything I want.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fhqwhgads posted:

Alright, I'm not quite sure how to get my head around this. I've got a two-year contract that is ending on 9/1/11, and a Blackberry Tour 9630. My plan is the Nationwide Talk 450, which I've been using for years and years, with an unlimited data plan (this isn't my first Blackberry). I'm also NE2 eligible right now.

I want to switch over to an Android phone, and it looks like in September the new phones are coming out. Thing is, my contract is ending on 9/1. I know that will switch me over to a MtM dealie, but will that cause me to lose my unlimited data plan as far as being grandfathered in? I plan on staying with Verizon, so I wanted to purchase a new phone with a 2-year plan for the discount (and use my NE2 if possible), but it seems like I'm a week or two shy of being able to do everything I want.

Going M2M doesn't change the terms of your account. It only means that you're not bound to stay with them anymore. Upgrading to an Android phone won't change your plan (though some feature codes for BIS/LTE/etc might change depending on the device you get) in a way that will trigger you losing your unlimited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I want to find out about with the Bionic is battery life and LTE performance (speed, handoff, single strength).

That's the wildcard. The Vigor is likely going to be using the same radios and baseband as the Thunderbolt and we KNOW there are problems with that which still aren't fixed.

Moto's chipset is an unknown at this point. It could be a bust, but it could also be amazing. I will take solid phone radio performance and long battery life over a better screen any day of the week. 1ghz vs 1.5ghz isn't really something that I'm thinking about at this point as both are perfectly fine and both are going to be eclipsed by probably Q2 of 2012 when the quad core chipsets hit.

The other wildcard is the fact that OMAP4 seems to be the reference chipset for ICS, so so the Bionic may have better OS support moving forward than the snapdragon in HTC handsets.

We also don't know physical form factor. I think it's a possibility that the Vigor may be larger than 4.3 based on the resolution of the screen (if those rumors are true), are there any 720p panels that small?

So, thing's aren't super clear cut between the Bionic and Vigor. I'm just hoping more info about the Vigor is leaked sooner rather than later as I would hate to wait ANOTHER month to pick up a phone and find that the Bionic is a better choice for me anyways.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

Also your upgrade date comes 4 months before your contract is up so you may already be eligible.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

AlexDeGruven posted:

Going M2M doesn't change the terms of your account. It only means that you're not bound to stay with them anymore. Upgrading to an Android phone won't change your plan (though some feature codes for BIS/LTE/etc might change depending on the device you get) in a way that will trigger you losing your unlimited.

Thanks. It's the whole grandfathering thing I'm not sure of. If switching off of a Blackberry will cause me to lose it regardless, then I'm not too worried about waiting another month to get a new 2-year contract. It's just the combination of going MTM for like one month, plus switching from 3G Blackberry to a 4G Android phone has me confused as to what will stick and what won't. Sure I'd like to keep unlimited data, but that won't be a dealbreaker if I lose it.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 4, 2011

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Fhqwhgads posted:

Thanks. It's the whole grandfathering thing I'm not sure of. If switching off of a Blackberry will cause me to lose it regardless, then I'm not to worried about waiting another month to get a new 2-year contract. It's just the combination of going MTM for like one month, plus switching from 3G Blackberry to a 4G Android phone has me confused as to what will stick and what won't. Sure I'd like to keep unlimited data, but that won't be a dealbreaker if I lose it.

I switched from a unlimited blackberry plan to my droid 3 with no problems. Had a blackberry for a while, changed my plan a few days before the switch, then on the 8th activated the droid. Haven't had any problems.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I was complaining before about bad signal in my new house. I figured I might as well call VZW and see what they would say to do, and they said I have 6 cell towers very close to my house and that I should be getting very good signal. They said to call *228, send, then option 2 as it reprovisions something, couldn't quite make it out. Has anyone ever done this? Did it help you?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

yamdankee posted:

I was complaining before about bad signal in my new house. I figured I might as well call VZW and see what they would say to do, and they said I have 6 cell towers very close to my house and that I should be getting very good signal. They said to call *228, send, then option 2 as it reprovisions something, couldn't quite make it out. Has anyone ever done this? Did it help you?

Sometimes it does, but more often than not it wont. Wireless company's only guarantee a working signal outdoors anyway.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Dracon Wolf posted:

Actually...am I reading this right? Apple will replace your water damaged iphone for $199 if you go into a genius bar? If so I have absolutely no problem at all doing that. Is this true? Does anyone know about this?

Just an FYI...this is true, for anyone that ever breaks their iPhone. I ended up getting mine replaced free, even after sitting in hot water AND telling the guy that, because only one of the moisture sensors tripped. He said that even if they tripped though, the most I'm on the hook for is $199 as long as it isn't in pieces. Very good information to know, figured I'd share it in case it isn't common knowledge.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Dracon Wolf posted:

Just an FYI...this is true, for anyone that ever breaks their iPhone. I ended up getting mine replaced free, even after sitting in hot water AND telling the guy that, because only one of the moisture sensors tripped. He said that even if they tripped though, the most I'm on the hook for is $199 as long as it isn't in pieces. Very good information to know, figured I'd share it in case it isn't common knowledge.
If you get a smartphone replaced under warranty but it is actually damaged / wet or otherwise not actually covered by the warranty the damaged device fee is $299. For non-smartphones it's $99. The extent of the damage shouldn't matter as long as what gets sent back is identifiable as the phone via the MEID.

If you send back nothing at all you get charged full retail price; currently $649.99 for the 16GB iPhone.

Edit: Yeah this is Verizon policy not Apple so you are correct.
VVVV

GUYS STOP fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 6, 2011

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I should have mentioned this was at the Apple Store, not Verizon. Their policies were different apparently.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah this seriously puts a wrench in my plans. While I do like my Thunderbolt, I'm most likely going to replace it with the Bionic or Vigor.

All I want is a phone that can do LTE, last 24 hours idling with the 4g radio on, and has a bootloader that is unlocked or easily unlocked.

Edit: Holy crap I can't Swype well

JayKay fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 5, 2011

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

yamdankee posted:

Neat.

PRL (Preferred Roaming List)

General Information

• Why do I need to perform the Preferred Roaming List update on my wireless phone?

By performing this update your phone will stay on the Verizon Wireless network and/or digital service whenever possible. Also, for most price plans after 2/1/2002 the phone roam indicator will turn off/on in accordance to the price plan you have chosen.

• What are the steps I need to take to complete the Preferred Roaming List update?

The following are the steps you need to take to complete the update:

Power on your Verizon Wireless phone.
    Dial *228 from your home digital coverage area, followed by the "SEND" key.
    When prompted, press option #2, to update your phones roaming capabilities (This process may take up to 2 minutes).
    Once completed, a confirmation message will be played, and a message will display on the phone screen.

• What if the Preferred Roaming List update fails to complete successfully?

If for some reason the update does not complete successfully, please try again at a later time. If the problem persists, your phone may not be capable of this update process.

• What benefits will the Preferred Roaming List update provide?

Benefits of this update include a roaming indicator that will reflect the price plan you have chosen (available on most price plans after 2/1/2002).

• How often do I need to perform the Preferred Roaming List update?

This update should be performed every three months, and/or after changing price plans.

• How much will the *228 call cost me when I perform the Preferred Roaming List update?

This call is offered FREE of airtime charges from Verizon Wireless.

• When can I perform the Preferred Roaming List update?

You may perform this update at your convenience. This FREE software update is available to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week!

Googleing around it seem to have improved some people's coverage, and it's free. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try anyway.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

DaNzA posted:

Neat.

[list]PRL (Preferred Roaming List)
[/quote]

FYI, you don't do this if you have a 4G phone. It shouldn't let you anyway but if it does it may fry your SIM card.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

FYI, you don't do this if you have a 4G phone. It shouldn't let you anyway but if it does it may fry your SIM card.
Are you serious? All CDMA devices use PRLs, and occasionally they need to be updated.

How does it fry an LTE SIM card? That's super special. But if so, couldn't you take the SIM out, update, then put it back in?

Edit: Looks like the new CDMA basebands (used in the LTE phones) can do PRL updates automatically. Calling *228 (is supposed) to do nothing on them.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 5, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I'm going to pull the curtain for a second....

*228 49% of the time is used as a placebo to get you off the phone/out of the store. the other 49% its used because it forces a reboot on (most) phones when finished, which is what you needed to do to begin with, but people don't like hearing "turn it off and on again"

2% of the time, it updates the PRL. It really doesn't change that often in significant ways....it doesn't "add new towers" as any new towers in your area are going to be using the same SYSID as the old ones.

And yes, *228 is useless on 4G, as the PRL is updated on the fly as needed.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How does it fry an LTE SIM card? That's super special. But if so, couldn't you take the SIM out, update, then put it back in?

When the Thunderbolt first came out people would call *228 and their SIM card would get deactivated, requiring a trip to a store for a new one. Verizon quickly changed the *228 service so that 4G devices would be disconnected without updating.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

When the Thunderbolt first came out people would call *228 and their SIM card would get deactivated, requiring a trip to a store for a new one.
That's really amazing. I guess no one had though to do that during testing.

I didn't realize you had to call a phone number to do PRL updates on Verizon anyways. They've been automatically pushed (or at least automatically polled) on Sprint for years. Then again, we're much more succeptible to the whims of roaming agreements than you guys are.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's really amazing. I guess no one had though to do that during testing.

I don't think they did a lot of testing with the 'Bolt :cry:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't think they did a lot of testing with the 'Bolt :cry:
At least it's appropriately named. I have this imagery stuck in my head of someone unknowingly dialing *228, then suddenly a thunderbolt comes from the sky and zaps the SIM card into a smoldering heap of plastic.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Speaking of the thunderbolt anyone else have the problem of LTE starting slow. When I google search in the browser it just sits there for 1 minute plus and then loads the page real quick, the thing is 3g loads the page faster overall. This happens a couple of hours every few days, the guy at verizon told me they are updating the towers and expanding coverage. This only happened the past couple weeks, I have had my phone since early April. I live in Houston in an area covered in 4g, I never lose the 4G icon in the status bar it just takes forever to start loading pages.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So, I'm leaving Verizon so I can upgrade my SERO line and was about to just cancel and pony up the ETF, until I noticed that Verizon has capped all their new plans at 2GB, and I have the old unlimited data plan.

Is it possible/worth it to try to sell my account? Is transferring plans (liability?) to someone else still possible? I have 3 months left on the contract if that matters.

edit: vvv so there's absolutely no value to my plan and I should just cough up ETF. Got it, thanks guys.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 8, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

yellowjournalism posted:

So, I'm leaving Verizon so I can upgrade my SERO line and was about to just cancel and pony up the ETF, until I noticed that Verizon has capped all their new plans at 2GB, and I have the old unlimited data plan.

Is it possible/worth it to try to sell my account? Is transferring plans (liability?) to someone else still possible? I have 3 months left on the contract if that matters.

Im pretty sure I read in this thread that transferring the liability triggers the data plan to get knocked down to 2 gigs automatically.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Im pretty sure I read in this thread that transferring the liability triggers the data plan to get knocked down to 2 gigs automatically.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ok so now that I'm just trying to get out, can I bust this poo poo to get out of ETF?

Also, I just paid my bill on the 1st (actually have not been using ANY of my verizon service for 2 months since my phone broke and I haven't had time to replace it) and haven't used any minutes or datas or anythings at all. Is there any chance they could pro-rate me, or will they just consider me a lost cause?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

yellowjournalism posted:

Ok so now that I'm just trying to get out, can I bust this poo poo to get out of ETF?

Also, I just paid my bill on the 1st (actually have not been using ANY of my verizon service for 2 months since my phone broke and I haven't had time to replace it) and haven't used any minutes or datas or anythings at all. Is there any chance they could pro-rate me, or will they just consider me a lost cause?

No, they'll credit your bill the extra 3 cents instead of letting you go without an ETF. There was actually an internal memo posted up on one of those enthusiast sites about this a month or two ago.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So the change from unlimited to 2GB won't work either? Is there any plausible way I can get out of ETF or should I just bite the bullet?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

yellowjournalism posted:

Is there any plausible way I can get out of ETF or should I just bite the bullet?
How is your Droid 2 broke? If your ETF is just $75 you might be able get that much for it on eBay if it's plausibly reparable.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

So the change from unlimited to 2GB won't work either? Is there any plausible way I can get out of ETF or should I just bite the bullet?
You can join the military.

If you survive boot camp you can verbally provide name of commanding officer and location of deployment. You can also suspend service for up to 24 months versus the normal maximum suspend time of 90 days and can disconnect at any time with no ETF.

We need you on that wall.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Blarghonauts posted:

You can join the military.

If you survive boot camp you can verbally provide name of commanding officer and location of deployment. You can also suspend service for up to 24 months versus the normal maximum suspend time of 90 days and can disconnect at any time with no ETF.

We need you on that wall.

:golfclap: well done.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Uh I'm technically a veteran, does that count :iamafag:

My Droid 2 is definitely bricked for good. It's an R2D2 edition, however, not sure if there's any value to the externals if someone wants to drop a new mainboard in. Anyway bye bye VZ, it was fun.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

yellowjournalism posted:

My Droid 2 is definitely bricked for good. It's an R2D2 edition, however, not sure if there's any value to the externals if someone wants to drop a new mainboard in. Anyway bye bye VZ, it was fun.

You might wanna throw that up on ebay anyway or something. Never know what kind of freak will buy it just to do a case swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

Sorry soldier but Verizon Wireless only begrudges that loophole to active service members per the provisions of the Service Members Civil Relief Act.

If you're retired military, a veteran, or any type of federal employee there's a good chance you qualify for a discount your plan cost.

I salute whatever technically vetrinating thing you did in service of America. :patriot:

• Locked thread