Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Younes

Relations between the secular parties and the Islamists in revolutionary Iran were strong too, and that lasted about two weeks or so after the fall of the Shah. If that. If there's any validity to what he's saying, he's essentially signing his own death warrant-radical factions like that do not share power, with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

If there's any validity to what he's saying, he's essentially signing his own death warrant-radical factions like that do not share power, with anyone.

Whoa.. hold on there. No one said they are radical Islamists or follow religious fundamentalism except the Gaddafi regime. He is from a leading Islamist group, and in North Africa/Middle-East that does not insinuate fundamentalism or extremism.

quote:

Relations between the secular parties and the Islamists in revolutionary Iran were strong too, and that lasted about two weeks or so after the fall of the Shah. If that.

Comparing the Libyan revolution to the Iranian revolution and assuming all Middle-East/North African situations are the same is ridiculous, biggoted and exactly what Saif is doing to stir up hostilities. Not to mention we already established there is no evidence to suggest they are "radical" Islamists. Laughable as all that is, there is also the fact that Libya is dominated by Sunnis and Iran is Shia majority.

It's as bad as saying that because a group of Catholics in Italy revolted against their regime and installed a autocratic dictatorship 40 years ago, a group of Protistant rebels in England will do the same... because they are all christians.. and white.. and from Europe. Just think about how bigoted and implicitly racist that is.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 5, 2011

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Still nothing from the UN but at least the lip-service of disapproval has been made by someone.

----
US: Al-Assad has lost legitimacy to rule

US says it is working on gathering up a big international support for strong actions against the Syrian regime.

Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, has said that Washington believes President Bashar al-Assad's government was responsible for more than 2,000 deaths in the crackdowns, repeating that Washington believes that Assad has "lost his legitimacy to govern the Syrian people.".

Clinton told reporters on Thursday that moves such as the UN Security Council statement on Wednesday condemning Syrian government violence, as well as further international sanctions, could turn the screws.

"We are working around the clock to try to gather up as much international support for strong actions against the Syrian regime as possible. I come from the school that actions speak louder than words".

Clinton said it was time for the international community to match its rhetorical outrage "with actions that will send a very clear message to the Assad regime, the insiders there, that there's a price to pay for this kind of abuse and attacks on their own people."

More sanctions

Meanwhile, the United States extended sanctions against Syria to include a prominent Syrian businessman and member of parliament who it says is a front for the interests of President Bashar al-Assad and his brother.

The move by the US Treasury on Thursday marks the fourth round of US sanctions against Syria aimed at pressuring Assad's government to ease its bloody crackdown against unarmed protesters.

The Treasury said it added Muhammad Hamsho and his holding company, the Hamsho International Group, to its sanctions list, which bans US transactions with them and seeks to freeze any assets they may have under US jurisdiction.

It said Hamsho has close ties to the Assads and has acted as a front for Mahir al-Assad's business interests.

Previous rounds of US sanctions have targeted the Syrian president and his brother Mahir al-Assad, other top government officials and the security forces.

European Union ambassadors meeting in Brussels on Thursday also agreed to add more names to their Syria sanctions list, but EU officials said they stopped short of targeting the country's oil industry and banking sector. Dissidents say that would be the only way to effectively choke off funds fueling repression in Syria.

The extent of new sanctions would depend on recommendations from the EU delegation in Damascus and EU states, the EU officials added.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/08/20118502942420596.html

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Every comment on CNN's website coverage on Syria seems to implicate Israel in this uprising for some reason.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tapatio posted:

Every comment on CNN's website coverage on Syria seems to implicate Israel in this uprising for some reason.

Syria is known to have hired several PR firms. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them are creating fake comments on various news websites.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

According to Al Jazeera, Khamis Gaddafi has been killed by NATO

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/08/20118575531382740.html

Great news if it's true, considering he leads and commands one of the most feared brigades in Libya

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 5, 2011

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Lascivious Sloth posted:

France

To make up for the CDG's departure, two Atlantique 2 and a detachment of Mirage 2000N and 2000D were deployed at La Sude, five Rafales are at Sigonella, the E3F and C135 will take off from Avord and Istres and there are still three frigates, a nuclear sub, one tanker and the BPC and its 20 helos at sea.

Last week the french forces conducted 60% of NATO's ground attacks, neutralizing around 80 targets. The frigates also fired on ground targets.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

ThePutty posted:

According to Al Jazeera, Khamis Gaddafi has been killed by NATO

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/08/20118575531382740.html

Great news is it's true, considering he leads and commands one of the most feared brigades in Libya

Given the source I would be very skeptical at this stage.

Edit: I'm actually getting pissed off at papers reporting unverified stories. 'Rebels say...' is just not good enough.
The BBC are at it today as well but with a 'CQ says'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14413157 posted:

Zlitan: Gaddafi forces say they control key Libyan town

Forces loyal to Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi have full control of the key western front line town of Zlitan, Libyan officials say.

They had launched a counter-offensive on Wednesday against advancing rebels, who have been fighting government forces with Nato's support since March.

Jut fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 5, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Now, if Khamis was present, forget if he's dead or not, but if he was present, this means that Ziltan is where the elite troops are. Brega's probably a hollow shell with a shitload of mines.

How many elite troops can there be?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Tapatio posted:

CNN did something amazing, once thought impossible, when they added comments - they found commenters worse than YouTube's.

pylb posted:

Last week the french forces conducted 60% of NATO's ground attacks, neutralizing around 80 targets. The frigates also fired on ground targets.

France is absolutely loving the opportunity to be geopolitically relevant.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Golbez posted:

CNN did something amazing, once thought impossible, when they added comments - they found commenters worse than YouTube's.

Yes. I know it is filthy and disgusting and bad for my mental health, but I find posting in CNN comments irresistible.

The best ones are Chinese commentators.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Has anyone heard anything about the protests in Israel? The only news I've found on them are Israeli newspapers and this: http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=7129

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Syria is known to have hired several PR firms. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them are creating fake comments on various news websites.

Which is how they managed to get that Vogue profile of Asma al-Assad. I wonder/hope this mass exposing of PR companies working with Syria and Libya will lead them to stop working with dictators, but it seems really unlikely. There's a long history if companies like Burson Marsteller working with scumbags, being exposed and apologizing, and then doing it again in a few years. These countries just have so much money to toss around and it's not technically illegal.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Warcabbit posted:

Now, if Khamis was present, forget if he's dead or not, but if he was present, this means that Ziltan is where the elite troops are. Brega's probably a hollow shell with a shitload of mines.

That depends on how many the Germans trained.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Benagain posted:

Has anyone heard anything about the protests in Israel? The only news I've found on them are Israeli newspapers and this: http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=7129

Populist, non-violent protests seeking to lower housing and cottage cheese prices are not, in comparison to the rest of the Middle East, news. Especially wwhen the government response is, "How long can I ignore you before it hurts my chances in the next election?"

Some news organizations have tried to make it about the settlers, because one of the concerns of the general population is that the coalition government is beholden to special interest groups like the settlers and the Haredim (who don't work or serve in the army) and keeps showering them with money while the costs of living for normal Israelis increases. But for the most part it is about that - an increase in costs of living, particularly in the areas of housing and cottage cheese. During that flotilla crisis a couple weeks back the Israeli newspaper headlines were all about the price of cheese.

Internally, all Palestinian issues aside, Israel is a fairly stable democracy and its economy has done well during the worldwide downturn because it isn't part of the European crisis and it has a huge growth industry in tecehnology. But people always have issues, and special interest groups taking tons of government money because Netanyahu needed them to form a government is an issue.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Whoa.. hold on there. No one said they are radical Islamists or follow religious fundamentalism except the Gaddafi regime. He is from a leading Islamist group, and in North Africa/Middle-East that does not insinuate fundamentalism or extremism.

Comparing the Libyan revolution to the Iranian revolution and assuming all Middle-East/North African situations are the same is ridiculous, biggoted and exactly what Saif is doing to stir up hostilities. Not to mention we already established there is no evidence to suggest they are "radical" Islamists. Laughable as all that is, there is also the fact that Libya is dominated by Sunnis and Iran is Shia majority.

It's as bad as saying that because a group of Catholics in Italy revolted against their regime and installed a autocratic dictatorship 40 years ago, a group of Protistant rebels in England will do the same... because they are all christians.. and white.. and from Europe. Just think about how bigoted and implicitly racist that is.

You've misunderstood the intent of my post. I only referred to the Iranian revolution because it's the closest example I could recall of a previously "unified" movement being taken over by one side. It had nothing to do with the fact that "they're all ay-rabs." Don't assume that people who oppose you are automatically ignorant republicans. Second, I wasn't aware that the groups he was talking to were not radical Islamists; that's not a word I tend to associate with anything other than al-Qaeda style-movements, similar to the context that "fundamentalist" has in the American south.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Anybody with an hour to spare should watch this.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/2011/08/201184144547798162.html

With every inch of my body I hope protests can start again, and I hope that they can succeed. Does anybody know what's happening in Bahrain? I'm genuinely worried about the quiet.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 6, 2011

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Concerned Citizen posted:

Israel has been doing the same thing for longer...

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Speaking of Israel, interesting sign at a protest in Tel Aviv today.

According to twitter, there's getting to be more talk of Palestine in the protests in Israel as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

For the non-Arabic speakers out there, "ارحل" (irhal) means "Get out," and it's been very common on signs throughout the Arab Spring. That's sort of awesome to see it in Israel.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Chade Johnson posted:

Israel has been doing the same thing for longer...

Yeah, Israeli supporters even has specialized software to direct people toward websites with polls they can stuff with votes, or articles to fill with pro-Israel comments.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kenning posted:

For the non-Arabic speakers out there, "ارحل" (irhal) means "Get out,"

We need an irhal frog.

VVV Excellent.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 7, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Wafflecopper posted:

We need an irhal frog.

I'd made this for the old Egypt thread:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
On the topic of the events in israel, *edit* woop scratch that, morning papers are out and reporting this*edit*, but generally the perspective on the arab internet-twittersphere is "Racist Terrorist colonizers are complaining about prices of land and housing they stole."

On Twitter, arab youth (especially Egyptians) have hashtagged the news about the israeli protests as #thawretweladelkalb wich means "The revolution of the sons of Dogs" and includes comments such as " Come on People, this hashtag is extremely racist, think of how dogs feel!" and "these People are making a revolution, But in someone else's Country!" and " Oh please netanyahu! killing and murdering arabs has become really expensive!" and "Who do these loving racists think they are pretending to fight for freedom?!" and a retweet storm for the following twitter "Hey israeli's, when the police teargas you, put pepperspray in your eyes to remove the effects!" and another one " Hey israelis, prepare some black paintspray when police wearing visors come close to you to hit you, spray your own face with it so no-one has to see your ugly loving face"

The general view is that The protest in israels attempt to somehow paint itself as part of an 'arab spring' is a joke as bad as when israelis tried to steal hummus and proclaim it as their national dish. Since most Arab youth know with all their heart that the vast majority of those israeli youth wouldn't think twice about bombing and invading another arab country or people when the chance comes.

ThePutty posted:

Anybody with an hour to spare should watch this.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/2011/08/201184144547798162.html

God drat. This completely wrecked my day.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 7, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

dj_clawson posted:

Internally, all Palestinian issues aside, Israel is a fairly stable democracy and its economy has done well during the worldwide downturn because it isn't part of the European crisis and it has a huge growth industry in tecehnology. But people always have issues, and special interest groups taking tons of government money because Netanyahu needed them to form a government is an issue.

Yes, maybe it was that, or maybe it was the 140 billion from the US over the past thirty years. It's a nation of seven million people , they produce very little, but they have the largest economy in the world doling out whatever they want, and outright ignoring when they steal what we won't give them.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

Speaking of Israel, interesting sign at a protest in Tel Aviv today.

According to twitter, there's getting to be more talk of Palestine in the protests in Israel as well.

So what does the Hebrew say?

Also, let's not turn this into another loving I/P clusterfuck, please.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Also, let's not turn this into another loving I/P clusterfuck, please.

"Get out". It's already been asked and answered.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nuclear Spoon posted:

"Get out". It's already been asked and answered.

There's a difference between Arabic and Hebrew, in case you weren't aware.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been away, so here's the NATO reports for the last few days:

quote:

Sorties conducted 03 AUGUST: 125
Strike sorties conducted 03 AUGUST: 53
Key Hits 03 AUGUST:
In the vicinity of Bir Al Ghanam: 2 Armed Vehicles.
In the vicinity of Brega: 1 Military Facilities, 1 Multiple Rocket Launch System, 1 Mortar, 1 Anti Aircraft
Artillery, 1 Surface to Air Missile.
In the vicinity of Tripoli: 2 Military Facilities, 2 Radars, 1 Anti Aircraft System.
In the vicinity of Zintan: 1 Military Facility, 1 Command and Control Node.
In the vicinity of Zlitan: 3 Command and Control Node, 1 Ammunition Storage Facility, 2 Military Facility.

quote:

Sorties conducted 04 AUGUST: 117
Strike sorties conducted 04 AUGUST: 44
Key Hits 04 AUGUST:
In the vicinity of Bir Al Ghanam: 1 Military Facility.
In the vicinity of Tripoli: 2 Military Facilities.
In the vicinity of Gharyan: 1 Tank, 1 Multiple Rocket System, 1 Military Facility.
In the vicinity of Zlitan : 1 Ammunition Storage Facility, 1 Military Facility, 2 Multiple Rocket Launchers, 1
Surface to Air Missal System .
In the vicinity of Tawurgha: 2 Artillery Pieces.
In the vicinity of Zuwarah: 5 Military Vehicles.

quote:

Sorties conducted 05 AUGUST: 116
Strike sorties conducted 05 AUGUST: 43
Key Hits 05 AUGUST:
In the Vicinity of Al Jawsh: 1 Armed Vehicle.
In the vicinity of Brega: 2 Military Facility, 2 Tanks, 19 Armed Vehicles, 1 Multiple Rocket Launcher, 2 Military
Supply Vehicles, 5 Military Trucks, 6 Military Buildings, 1 Armoured Fighting Vehicle.
In the vicinity of Gharyan: 1 Military Firing Position, 1 Command and Controle Node.
In the vicinity of Tawurgha: 1 Multiple Rocket Launcher System Staging Area, 1 Military Checkpoint.
In the vicinity of Tiji : 7 Armed Vehicles.
In the vicinity of Misratah: 2 Artillery Pieces.
In the vicinity of Zlitan: 1 Military Radar Site, 1 Military Storage Facility.

quote:

Sorties conducted 6 AUGUST: 115
Strike sorties conducted 6 AUGUST: 45
Key Hits 6 AUGUST:
In the vicinity of Brega: 2 Multiple Rocket Launcher Systems
In the vicinity east of Tripoli: 1 Surface to Air System, 2 Anti Aircraft Guns, 6 Military Supply Vehicles, 1
Military Vehicle.
In the vicinity of Bir Al Ghanam: 1 Ammunition Storage Facility, 1 Command and Control Node, 1 Multiple
Rocket Launcher System, 1 Military vehicle.
In the vicinity of Zlitan: 1 Command and Control Node, 1 Military Facility, 1 Tank.
In the vicinity of Tiji: 1 Military Facility, 1 Command and Control Node, 1 Multiple Rocket Launcher Storage.
Tawurgha is south of Misrata, and has been used to stage artillery and rocket attacks on Misrata, so it seems NATO are focusing on that area. Interesting to see that NATO are clearly helping the Nafusa rebels by attacking targets in and around Tiji, which the rebels are currently trying to captured.
The strikes in Brega on August 5th were massive as well, a very large number of vehicles and building destroyed, let's hope it actually achieves something.

Warcabbit posted:

The Elite Khamis Brigade is certaintly based in Zliten, and were fighting in Misrata until it was liberated. There's been numerous captured FN2000s that were purchased by Libya to arm the Khami's brigade, and documents were recovered in Misrata that seemed to indicate they had been fighting there.

Some reports suggest that the Khamis Brigade suffered heavy loses in Misrata, and a lot of the current troops are recruits, although as ever that's impossible to verify.

This is also a very interesting report:

quote:

Army Apaches carry out Libya strike

British Apache helicopters from the Army Air Corps have carried out a strike on a Gaddafi regime headquarters and military vehicles in Libya.

An Ministry of Defence spokesman, Major General Nick Pope, said the raid happened at al Watiyah, near the western border with Tunisia.

Major Pope added: "In the early hours of this morning, Apache helicopters from the Army Air Corps, flying off their carrier HMS Ocean, penetrated deep into Libyan airspace to conduct a strike on a troop concentration at Al Watiyah, 40 miles south of the coast at Zuwarah.

"Hellfire missiles and cannon fire accounted for one headquarters and twelve military vehicles, including at least one armed with a surface-to-air weapon system, with another four vehicles left seriously damaged.

"Fleet Air Arm Sea Kings provided radar cover, whilst RAF Tornado GR4s flew as overwatch. The Tornadoes were also able to prosecute successfully a target of their own, destroying a military staging post further south at Tiji."

Maj Gen Pope also gave details of operations over the past few days which saw the destroyer HMS Liverpool fire on a missile emplacement in the town of Zlitan, while RAF and Army Air Corps aircraft took action over the Djebel Nafousa mountains in the west of Libya.

"Nato taskings saw RAF aircraft maintaining frequent patrols throughout Friday over the Djebel Nafousa," he said.

"One such patrol attacked a building used by artillery teams firing into Yafran, whilst another patrol struck a staging post for the former regime forces which have been concentrated around Gharyan.

"Further east, HMS Liverpool took action during the early evening of Thursday, successfully engaging, with her 4.5-inch gun, a Grad multiple rocket launcher positioned on the coast near Zlitan.

"Liverpool remained in the area and, after darkness had fallen, fired star shells to provide illumination for Nato operations in the area.

"On Saturday, a precision strike was conducted against a location near Bir al Ghanam in the Djebel Nafousa, which was supporting multiple rocket launchers. This was followed up by successful attacks on two ammunition stores and a headquarters in the same area, our aircraft employing Paveway guided bombs to destroy their targets."
What's interesting is al Watiyah is half way between the coast and the Nafusa mountains, so that's much further north then the fighting in Nafusa, so it could be reinforcements, a staging post for a Gaddafi counterattack on Nafusa, or helping a rebel advance.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 7, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also, another update from Nasfusa:

quote:

Libyan rebels push towards Az Zawiyah
Libyan opposition fighters have captured a strategic town in western Libya, as they intensify a push towards the coastal city of Az Zawiyah.

Hundreds of rebels fought Muammar Gaddafi's forces in the battle for Bir Ghanem, 85km from the capital, Tripoli, on Saturday.

"Bir Ghanem is fully under revolutionary control. They are now combing the area for Gaddafi loyalists and landmines," Abdulrahman, a rebel spokesman said by telephone from Zlitan.

Al Jazeera's Zeina Khodr said at least 14 opposition fighters were killed and 17 were wounded in the battle which lasted only a few hours.

"It was really fierce fighting," she said. "Since early morning we heard heavy exchange of rocket fire from both sides."

The offensive was part of the rebels' attempt to get closer to Tripoli. The rebels said earlier this week they hoped to reach the capital before the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

"The most important thing for them now is to reach Az Zawiyah," our correspondent said.

"They know that they can get support from inside that city, that rebels there are ready to rise up against the Gaddafi regime but they need help from outside."

Az Zawiyah was the scene of a major uprising by protesters early on in the conflict, which began in February. The protesters took over the city and drove out Gaddafi's supporters, but were then brutally crushed in a long, bloody siege.

In their push towards Az Zawiyah, fighters have started an offensive against government troops near Surman in the Western Mountain area.

Libyan state television reported that NATO air strikes hit civilian and military targets in Tripoli early on Sunday morning.

Planes could be heard overhead following a series of blasts from 2am local time.

Town under siege

Elsewhere in the west, residents of al-Qusbat, a small town 100km from Tripoli, were said to be under siege.

A representative from al-Qusbat's rebel military committee told the AFP news agency that the town was surrounded by Gaddafi's forces and fears were growing of an imminent bloodbath."All roads going to al-Qusbat are blocked by Gaddafi's forces. They cut electricity and communications since yesterday," Khamis Nuri el-Kasseh said from Benghazi after contacting the town by satellite phone.

"Gaddafi's forces are not yet in control of the town, but we expect it will be bloody today," he said, adding there had already been a series of arrests in suburbs.

Al-Qusbat is cut off from other rebel positions in the west of Libya, with 70km separating it from the nearest positions at Zlitan to the east.

The rebels also launched a push to capture the coastal oil town of Brega, but were advancing slowly because Gaddafi's forces had sown minefields across its approaches.

"There's a big movement on all fronts around Brega, we are attacking from three sides," Mohammad Zawawi, a rebel spokesman said.

Fighting on the eastern front of the civil war, which has ebbed backwards and forwards for the past months, has bogged down for weeks on the fringes of Brega, south of the rebel capital Benghazi on the eastern side of the Gulf of Sirte.

Zawawi said rebel forces were in sight of a residential area of Brega and believed they could take the town, some 750 kilometres east of Tripoli.

"It could be very soon, but we don't want to lose anybody so we're moving slowly but surely," he said.

In Misurata, a Qatari plane made a quick stop on Saturday to offload ammunition destined for opposition fighters, Reuters reported, citing sources with knowledge of the flight.

"The plane offloaded six pickup trucks which were packed with ammunition, and minutes later it flew off again," said one source, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Airport officials acknowledged a Qatari plane had landed but declined to reveal details of its contents.

Rebels have repeatedly complained about a lack of weapons and ammunition to effectively push forward to the capital.

France has also supplied ammunition and weapons in air-drops.

This is the location of al-Qusbat and Bir al Ghanam. The Surman region is pretty large, from the Nafusa mountain to the town of Surman on the coast.

If you remember back a few weeks Bir al Ghanam was a town the rebels had been trying to capture, but gave up after a couple of days of fighting, and dug in on a ridge above the town. As you can tell from the map a network of roads and farms now stand between them and Zawiya, so it'll be interesting to see if NATO back them up with their push northwards.

Interesting to hear anything about al-Qusbat, it's the first time I've heard anything about something happening there.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Mr. Sunshine posted:

"Egypt is here."

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Mozi posted:

There's a difference between Arabic and Hebrew, in case you weren't aware.

Ugh, I'm a loving idiot. Sorry.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So I guess they're finally satisfied with the size of the crater at Waddan?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Maybe they've just run out of the right sort of bombs to use.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Ugh, I'm a loving idiot. Sorry.

I was a little dickish on my part too, sorry for that.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Mozi posted:

I was a little dickish on my part too, sorry for that.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone could resolve and forgive like that? :smith:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfCFFs8u1DA&hd=1

Video via al-Jazeera of security forces opening fire on a funeral procession in Idlib, Syria today. Not super graphic, but you can see at least one person shot.

edit: The Saudi King will also be speaking on Syria. Worth keeping an eye on this. Saudi Arabia doesn't like how close Syria is to Iran, they could see this as an opportunity to get rid of Assad. A military force a la Lebanon is probably too risky for them though, but maybe they'll guarantee Assad's safety like they did with Ben Ali.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 7, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Okay the King didn't actually speak, probably because he's almost dead, but according to his statement, Saudi Arabia demands a stop to the violence and has recalled their ambassador to Syria home for consultations. It's a pretty unusual step, but nothing concrete in the statement about future steps. Maybe Al-Saqr has a better grasp of Saudi politics, though.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7687163.html
Here's an article.
Money quote:
King Abdullah also said that Riyadh does not accept what is happening in Syria, according to the statement read out on the pan Arab Al Arabiya network late Sunday.

The monarch also said the Syrian government crackdown on protesters is disproportionate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Xandu posted:

Okay the King didn't actually speak, probably because he's almost dead, but according to his statement, Saudi Arabia demands a stop to the violence and has recalled their ambassador to Syria home for consultations. It's a pretty unusual step, but nothing concrete in the statement about future steps. Maybe Al-Saqr has a better grasp of Saudi politics, though.

There's no such thing as Saudi 'Politics', there is only the ruling family and what happens between them is little known to ordinary folks. in terms of local media press and public discussion, There will be no discussion. all will praise the king and his wisdom and courage. all will proclaim him the 'king of humanitarianism'. there will be no other opinion.Those who hold other opinions, well, good luck with the bullwhips.

In terms of cold hard analysis I imagine that this is squarely aimed at syria because of it's links with Iran, the Saudi government is making GBS threads it's pants left and right about the Arab spring and are throwing their entire financial, diplomatic, media and military (like in Bahrain) muscle to stem it's flow, the key weapons they have used so far are sectarianism and money, with money they can buy influence amongst political parties, but this had limited success in egypt and Tunisia because of the lack of a sectarian component (except for obscure salafists) and the relative development and awareness of Egyptian and Tunisian political culture, in syria such sectariansim is ripe and available and the development of society that is weak and exploitable, not only can they get rid of an ally of a hated foe (Iran) they can get into the game early and fund any political parties that may evolve and push sunni identity and sectarianism, they would wield immense influence over any new government that may be formed thanks to the abuses of the present government. essentially, they might be trying to make a second lebanon but this time with sunnis forming the majority of the country.

Also, these are the last people who should talk about disproportionate, a single facebook page caused them to rally the entire police force and cover the entire city and all side roads with every bit of hardware they had. if a revolution ever happened in saudi, it WILL be Gaddafi x1000, worse than what they did in bahrain. many people have disappeared so far and there is a huge media campaign against writers and intellectuals who call for greater freedom as 'agents of outside agendas' (Iran).

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 7, 2011

• Locked thread