Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Blarghonauts posted:

:patriot:

Hahah I must respectfully decline, I was in training the whole time. How it counted as active duty is nothing short of bewildering and a little unnerving.

Thanks for the VZ help guys, I just terminated my line and will be putting R2 up for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, the Bionic's full manual is available now since the FCC confidentiality expired on Sunday. It pretty much confirms everything we already knew.

LTE
4.3in
dual core 1ghz
1gb ram

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
How do we figure out if that full 1gb is available or is half of it locked away for webtop functions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

How do we figure out if that full 1gb is available or is half of it locked away for webtop functions?

This turned out to be a false rumor about webtop. It doesn't consume ram when it's not docked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11564502&postcount=10

quote:

Quick fact from checking dmesg and other kernel info, once I rooted my Atrix.

The phone has 1GB of RAM, but upon boot it is allocated like this:

mem=320M@0M nvmem=192M@320M mem=512M@512M

Translation from kernel args to popular language:

RAM available for the OS: 832Mb
RAM reserved for the "video card": 192Mb

Even after a clear boot, with webtop completely stop, you can run /usr/bin/free and notice that there is indeed only 832MB of RAM available to the OS.

And as I posted on the the other thread about the webtop, there is no RAM consumed by the webtop when you are on "mobile mode" only. Webtop is just a second X session started on the linux OS that is below Android, redirected to the HDMI port.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

This turned out to be a false rumor about webtop. It doesn't consume ram when it's not docked.

That's good to know as I heard that question brought up quite a bit. Thanks.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

bull3964 posted:

Oh Cool.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I just wish Samsung would make a rush and beat Moto to market with an LTE GS2, and really stick it to them.

then again, that battery :allears:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone been using a Verizon inductive charging kit? How are those things working out?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

AppleCobbler posted:

then again, that battery :allears:
It'll last a full 24 hours with minimal usage

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Would this give me better 3G signal in my house? They say I live in a well covered area, so it's just signal inside the house that needs improving.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

yamdankee posted:

Would this give me better 3G signal in my house? They say I live in a well covered area, so it's just signal inside the house that needs improving.

That's only going to help with calls. It runs a "3g" network off of your broadband connection. So if you're having trouble with data, wifi would be faster.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've been trying to survive on paying for and using only 3G for data. I might break down and just get broadband through cable or something soon if I can't figure something out...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

yamdankee posted:

I might break down and just get broadband through cable or something soon if I can't figure something out...
If you have at least a "fair" signal outside, you could install a cellular repeater which should improve your signal conditions inside a good deal.

Unfortunately even the cheapest models are rather expensive.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

dominator posted:

It'll last a full 24 hours with minimal usage

I'm talking about the Bionic's 1930mah fatbatt

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

AppleCobbler posted:

I'm talking about the Bionic's 1930mah fatbatt
Yes I know.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

dominator posted:

Yes I know.

Beats the hell out of my Thunderbolt's 5 hours of idling. :negative:

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
My friend just randomly found a new-looking iPhone, marked Verizon, on the ground. Normally, when I find a phone, I call random people from the address book, until I get a hold of someone who has an alternate way to get in touch with the owner of the phone. Then, I contact the owner and say "hey, come get your phone." Unfortunately, this particular phone has a password on it, so I can't do that. I tried to call Verizon, but you have to enter your Verizon Wireless number or they won't even talk to you. If you had an iPhone and someone found it, what would you want them to do to help you get it back? I really don't know how to proceed, here. It's seriously in mint condition and the battery's even charged, so I'm assuming the owner really really wants it back right about now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ejstheman posted:

My friend just randomly found a new-looking iPhone, marked Verizon, on the ground. Normally, when I find a phone, I call random people from the address book, until I get a hold of someone who has an alternate way to get in touch with the owner of the phone. Then, I contact the owner and say "hey, come get your phone." Unfortunately, this particular phone has a password on it, so I can't do that. I tried to call Verizon, but you have to enter your Verizon Wireless number or they won't even talk to you. If you had an iPhone and someone found it, what would you want them to do to help you get it back? I really don't know how to proceed, here. It's seriously in mint condition and the battery's even charged, so I'm assuming the owner really really wants it back right about now.

poo poo, this just made me re-think having a pin lock on my droid.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

ejstheman posted:

Take it to a Verizon Corporate store and give it to them. They should be able to locate/track down/contact the owner.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

JayKay posted:

Take it to a Verizon Corporate store and give it to them. They should be able to locate/track down/contact the owner.

Ugh, I was afraid that was the answer. That's like a three-mile bike ride from here, mostly uphill. I suppose it's worth it to save someone $500 or whatever these things cost, though. As if I didn't have enough poo poo to take care of this week.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

poo poo, this just made me re-think having a pin lock on my droid.

Yeah, I have the zig-zag lock on my evo, and I'm trying to think whether I really want to keep it. I've never lost a phone in my life, so I'm going with yes, on the theory that if someone other than me has it, it's a friend trying to play a prank, or a thief.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 9, 2011

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ejstheman posted:

Ugh, I was afraid that was the answer. That's like a three-mile bike ride from here, mostly uphill. I suppose it's worth it to save someone $500 or whatever these things cost, though. As if I didn't have enough poo poo to take care of this week.

If the customer support number isn't working try the sales number (800) 256-4646. They can at least forward you to the correct person or maybe give you pre-paid mailing to send it to their store.

Try to charge it, too. The owner should be trying to call it. I'd also consider posting on Craigslist, if you live in a city. Just make sure you note that the owner should call the phone, not e-mail you, so you can prove it is their's.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Things are looking good for the Bionic battery life.

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic-battery-life-said-be-better-latest-tester-leak

That tester is reporting over 15 hours with what sounds like somewhat moderate data use. It's hard to get excited without knowing the full usage profile, but it does sound a lot better than the reports I was hearing of the TB not even lasting 8 hours sitting idle.

I'll take a somewhat chunkier phone if it actually lasts.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

I'll take a somewhat chunkier phone if it actually lasts.
Its no bigger/heavier than an X

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The pictures that were leaked yesterday make it look a tad thicker than the X, especially in the hump area. Reports were that it's pretty much the same thickness as the thunderbolt.

I'm assuming with the coy responses that you are currently testing the device though. So I'll take your word on it for now.

There was an LTE SGSII leaked for Korea today. Wrong bands for Verizon and didn't have any CDMA radios so it would need to be reworked before it's on the network. It was 4.5 inches like the T-Mobile leak from yesterday and it lacked the Exynos processor, opting instead for a 1.5ghz dual core Snapdragon. One thing to note about it is that it was 1mm thicker than the SGS2 that's currently available. It would not suprise me in the least if swapping out the GMS radios for CDMA ones would incrrease the thickness further. It may end up being closer to the bulk of the Charge rather than the slimmed down handset that everyone is hoping for.

I also think there's less and less hope that the Stratosphere that was leaked on the roadmap is going to be Verizon's SGSII since we haven't seen anything pass through the FCC as of late.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

This is probably a dumb question, but why don't phones use standard rechargeable AA batteries? It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to fit one in, i.e. how the Droid X is thick just on one end. 2700 mah batteries AA's are cheap and it'd be even easier to have spares. I'm curious if its an electrical issue or if they just want to keep being able to charge exorbitant fees for chargers and batteries with half the power?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

sadus posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but why don't phones use standard rechargeable AA batteries? It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to fit one in, i.e. how the Droid X is thick just on one end. 2700 mah batteries AA's are cheap and it'd be even easier to have spares. I'm curious if its an electrical issue or if they just want to keep being able to charge exorbitant fees for chargers and batteries with half the power?

I can hear every phone manufacturer cry about their form factors as they read this post.

Do you realize how much uglier that would make smartphones?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I can hear every phone manufacturer cry about their form factors as they read this post.

Do you realize how much uglier that would make smartphones?

I think bulbous lumpy phones would be pretty sweet. If its round its "ergonomic".

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Maybe you drop your phone one day and instead of just slipping through your fingers, you can grab onto the lump and save it. Really though, the Droid X's lump really would not need to be much bigger at all to hold a single AA battery, but I guess that would displace whatever else is currently in there (like the top of the screen :doh:). Extended batteries aren't that pretty either though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sadus posted:

I'm curious if its an electrical issue or if they just want to keep being able to charge exorbitant fees for chargers and batteries with half the power?
Charger cost is irrelevant. Aftermarket chargers sold in B&M stores are stupidly expensive as all accessories are, but they're reasonably priced, even OEM ones, online. Also, mind you good NiMH chargers aren't cheap. For example, the La Crosse BC-700 which is the minimum I'd recommend, is $36.

Same is basically true with batteries. Aftermarket Evo 3D batteries run $8-9 on Amazon, a four-pack of Eneloops are $10.

That said, they did make AMPS phones with NiMH cells in the 90s, and they were :lol: thick, not particularly pocketable.

Edit: I do prefer to use AA cells over proprietary ones in as many applications as I can. For example, I'm a fan of the Canon PowerShot A-series which do. Li-ions go bad too quickly and having to carry around a bunch of different types of batteries and chargers suck. A cell phone is a reasonable exception though, I use/charge/carry it around enough frequently that I'm OK with a battery replacement being a special purchase, and it's well worth it for the increased portability and battery life.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 10, 2011

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Btw, I use Track and Protect for my Droid X. It requires a pin and has a "reward if found" message with instructions on how to return the phone to it's original owner. I believe it's free.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

sadus posted:

Cell carriers and manufacturers are mad paranoid about the negative media attention that comes with batteries expanding, overheating and leaking acid everywhere.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Any battery can leak and explode, regardless of what form factor its in.

The answer has been stated, its all about size.

Most phones in the AMPS days, even the propitiatory ones, were simply a plastic housing around a bunch of AA,AAA or even AAAA cells wired together. Problem with that is, literally fitting a round peg in a square hole, you have a lot of wasted space around the cells.

So they started to make cells that were close to AAA form factor, but flat, so they could shrink the battery packs.

Then Li-Poly came about, and allowed them to cheaply make a battery in any form factor they needed, and the battery can be squeezed into whatever leftover space they had after the electronics were stuffed in.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I have a friend who is eligible for an upgrade and is a good candidate for a very basic smartphone. Is the LG Violet or Motorola Citrus any good as entry level smartphones?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would sooner get the HTC Trophy, a WP7 device, than one of those free android devices. They are basically junk.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Fair enough, what are the recommended dumbphones out right now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why not just spend a little more and get a decent smartphone?

I can pretty much bet that by the end of September all the current LTE phones and probably the incredible 2 will be close to $100 as the new crop of phones come out.

If you are ready to fork over an extra $720 over a contract period for smartphone data, you might as well spend the extra $100 upfront and get a device that can actually use it well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 10, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Nevermind, I should learn to read.

How bout that Verizon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Codiusprime posted:

Some people don't have a need for a smartphone (as incomprehensible as that is to us) and other's don't want to pay the 30 extra a month.

There are legit reasons.

That's not the point. He already said he wanted an entry level smartphone but was only focusing on the ones that are free right now. Service cost is the same whether you get a free smartphone or the most expensive smartphone. So, if you were already prepared to pay the extra $30 a month for the free smartphone, wait a month or two and put that $30 a month you would have been spending towards a better device.

Edit:

ha HA, I was too fast for your edit.

In other news, the Bionic is showing up in ads.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/10/droid-bionic-ads-start-popping-up-at-citi-field/

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Actually I've got an Evo 3D, this is for a friend whose dumbphone is on the verge of death. She's not really able to afford a smartphone, but I saw the free ones and figured it was worth looking into. I'll just tell her to use her upgrade on whatever the free dumbphone is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That's not the point. He already said he wanted an entry level smartphone but was only focusing on the ones that are free right now. Service cost is the same whether you get a free smartphone or the most expensive smartphone. So, if you were already prepared to pay the extra $30 a month for the free smartphone, wait a month or two and put that $30 a month you would have been spending towards a better device.

Edit:

ha HA, I was too fast for your edit.

In other news, the Bionic is showing up in ads.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/10/droid-bionic-ads-start-popping-up-at-citi-field/

Sigh :( You were, drat smartphone.

Has anyone even said anything official about the Bionic yet? I think the best way to sell people a product is to push its release date back repeatedly then not say anything about it at all.

Edit: To quote Bull as this post is not directly under his.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 10, 2011

• Locked thread