Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah, your choice of schools is inconsistent. Do you want to stay in finance or move to something else entirely?

I start my full-time program on Monday. I haven't been a student since 2006. Walking around campus last week to buy books and get my student ID made was surreal. Anyone else having "holy crap I'm a student again" moments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I just looked down the U.S. News rankings for schools near the NY area. I know Yale's program is new but that's about it. I'd like to stay in finance, perhaps in a role closer to the capital markets or on the buy-side. I haven't really put a lot of thought into business school, I've barely worked a year, I'm just kind of testing the waters and inquiring. What's so different about Yale's program? What kind of research do I need to do? In my head I can count at least two good recs, am a reasonably strong writer, and would be willing to pay for a little counseling to make sure my essays were strong.

edit: I'd be going to business school largely to change industries. I'm not interested in staying in the municipal world forever and would like to move to the corporate at the very least.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 7, 2011

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Some of the schools on your list aren't target schools for finance. Also, Tuck and Yale are a big drop down compared to the others on your list.

Talk to your friends and colleagues who've done an MBA.

Again, you sound like the average analyst trying to lateral somewhere else. How're you different from thousands of other people coming from finance backgrounds?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I am starting my masters in marketing at the Ecole de Management de Marseille (Euromed Management) in a few weeks. We just all found out that our university was awarded the triple crown rating this month.

Pretty stoked on that. If yo have no idea what I am talking about, this explains it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_accreditation

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
When Harvard isn't on there but The University of Auckland is, I'm gonna doubt the legitimacy of the list.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

puchu posted:

When Harvard isn't on there but The University of Auckland is, I'm gonna doubt the legitimacy of the list.
There don't appear to be any US institutions on the list, actually.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

None of the schools listed are notable with the exception of INSEAD.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
By the way the UoA MBA requires no GMAT for entry.

Small White Dragon posted:

There don't appear to be any US institutions on the list, actually.

Yep, I don't know if it's because most US institutions don't feel the need to get those certs or not.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Some of the schools on your list aren't target schools for finance. Also, Tuck and Yale are a big drop down compared to the others on your list.

Talk to your friends and colleagues who've done an MBA.

Again, you sound like the average analyst trying to lateral somewhere else. How're you different from thousands of other people coming from finance backgrounds?

The true answer is "not really". Though I do work for a small deal team, and handle administration/operations/HR/IT and everything else under the sun as we've grown from 3 people and <1MM revenues to 12 people and a lot more in revenue. I also work directly with a lot of our developer clients, something I think is pretty rare for someone so young, as well as assisting in the launch, marketing, and portfolio management of a $300MM taxable municipal fund. So it's not your typical analyst rotation.

Would someone be so kind as to list what's considered "target schools" for finance?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Its Miller Time posted:

Would someone be so kind as to list what's considered "target schools" for finance?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/finance-rankings would be a pretty good place to start.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

shrike82 posted:

None of the schools listed are notable with the exception of INSEAD.

EM Grenoble, EM Marseille (Euromed), EM Lyon are all good schools.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

EM Grenoble, EM Marseille (Euromed), EM Lyon are all good schools.

They seem like regional schools rather than ones with international reputations like the standard US schools + LBS + INSEAD. Are you French?

Quick google of EM Grenoble graduate placements shows only 28% of graduates work outside France, mean graduate salary was 35K euro for graduates within France and 42.8K outside of France. Only a 3rd of the graduate population found jobs before graduation.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

shrike82 posted:

They seem like regional schools rather than ones with international reputations like the standard US schools + LBS + INSEAD. Are you French?

Quick google of EM Grenoble graduate placements shows only 28% of graduates work outside France, mean graduate salary was 35K euro for graduates within France and 42.8K outside of France. Only a 3rd of the graduate population found jobs before graduation.

American.

I think its the right step for me to go to Euromed. I graduated from college with the plan of going to law school. The law school megathread scared me from that and I started to apply to school abroad. I'd like to live abroad so the French school was an obvious choice.

It may not be a top top school but the university holds a lot of prestige in France. It's a top 10 school in France and French Business school are pretty highly regarded in Europe.

I got accepted into Euromed (Mean salary $44,000 of a graduate) and EM Grenoble (mean salary $60,000). I decided on Euromed because 100% of students who graduated got an internship and 75% of them got hired at it. Over at Grenoble it was a smaller rate of internship and hiring. Still not sure if I made the better decision.

E:
On a final note, I am not going there for my MBA. I am going there for a MSc in Luxury Brand Management.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 11, 2011

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
*removed*

VermiciousKnid84 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 13, 2011

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

E:
On a final note, I am not going there for my MBA. I am going there for a MSc in Luxury Brand Management.

Can you talk more about the application process? I've been looking at some similar programs.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Omits-Bagels posted:

Can you talk more about the application process? I've been looking at some similar programs.

The application process was a pain in the rear end compared to American universities, but well worth it IMO. You need to:

-Send in an online application.
-Send a paper copy to France. (With two letters of rec)
-An interview (European applicants do it in person, foreign ones do it via Skype)

I then found out over skype that I was accepted.

Then you have to get a French visa. This is the part that makes the application a huge pain in the rear end. You need to prove that you got into a school, prove that you have the money to sustain yourself in France and prove that you won't just bail and stay in France illegally.

But in the end it was pretty easy. I was able to apply and find out that I got in within 3 weeks of deciding. I think one thing that really helped me is that after I graduated from college I became a director in a non-profit campaign office, and my interviewer seemed really interested in that.

The EM Grenoble application was much more streamlined and easier. They didn't want anything in paper form besides my bachelors degree and no interview was needed.

E:
That was the simple answer. If you really want to see what the application require, I can email you the old requirement forms that I have. I am on my laptop now but once I get home, I can email you them (they are on my desktop).

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys, I've asked some questions in this thread before and got some great advice. I now have another question:

I'm at a pivotal point in my life, where I'm going to have to choose between my current career/income trajectory, and going back to school. I'd love to go back to school, but I need to be sure getting into a top tier (Top 8 is what I commonly hear/read) MBA program is a possibility for me. I'm about 1.5 years from graduating, possibly less if I can condense classes more heavily. I will hopefully have a 3.9 or higher GPA in my major (Finance @ University of Washington), leaving me somewhere between a 3.8 and 3.875 cumulative GPA. I've always been great at testing, so I have little doubt I would crush the GMAT/GRE.

What I am more worried about is my narrative. I've worked in intelligence since I was 19 years old (I am now 25), first for 5 years as enlisted, and now as an employee of a company that does contracts for the State Department in a war zone. I can show leadership, including in stressful situations, and I can put fancy things like "Hillary Clinton uses the products I create", or "directly supported US Ambassador to Iraq on a daily basis" type crap, worded a lot more professionally and impressively, of course. However, I have 0 corporate experience to stand on currently.

What I'm really asking for, given all of that, are "what are my odds", come September of 2014, of being able to go to a top tier b-school? I'd really appreciate any input from anyone with experience at those schools, especially whether my narrative would even rank as existant on admission faculties radar.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 12, 2011

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
I think you definitely have a shot. I just graduated from a top program and had several classmates with similar stories, including one who did military intelligence in the Middle East, a few infantry officers, and a Marine who was personal assistant to a general.

Some questions to think about for writing your application:
- why get an MBA?
- why an MBA at this school?
- why an MBA at this school now?

(the above are important, because there are so many strong applicants at top schools, you need to have a good story for why you need an MBA - not just in general, but from that particular school and in this particular year)

Also, think about what you can contribute to your classmates' learning. Your presence in an MBA program is not just to benefit yourself; you also bring a unique perspective that will enrich the learning environment for your classmates.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Rrail posted:

Hey guys, I've asked some questions in this thread before and got some great advice. I now have another question:

I'm at a pivotal point in my life, where I'm going to have to choose between my current career/income trajectory, and going back to school. I'd love to go back to school, but I need to be sure getting into a top tier (Top 8 is what I commonly hear/read) MBA program is a possibility for me. I'm about 1.5 years from graduating, possibly less if I can condense classes more heavily. I will hopefully have a 3.9 or higher GPA in my major (Finance @ University of Washington), leaving me somewhere between a 3.8 and 3.875 cumulative GPA. I've always been great at testing, so I have little doubt I would crush the GMAT/GRE.

What I am more worried about is my narrative. I've worked in intelligence since I was 19 years old (I am now 25), first for 5 years as enlisted, and now as an employee of a company that does contracts for the State Department in a war zone. I can show leadership, including in stressful situations, and I can put fancy things like "Hillary Clinton uses the products I create", or "directly supported US Ambassador to Iraq on a daily basis" type crap, worded a lot more professionally and impressively, of course. However, I have 0 corporate experience to stand on currently.

What I'm really asking for, given all of that, are "what are my odds", come September of 2014, of being able to go to a top tier b-school? I'd really appreciate any input from anyone with experience at those schools, especially whether my narrative would even rank as existant on admission faculties radar.

You're a way stronger candidate than I was. I am attending a top 50 school, which I frankly wouldn't recommend for most people right now. I think you have a good chance if you can craft a compelling story, and CaptainEO told you the basics of what you need to lay out. My story and my GMAT got me into my program with a sub-3.0 undergrad GPA and no business experience.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tyro posted:

You're a way stronger candidate than I was. I am attending a top 50 school, which I frankly wouldn't recommend for most people right now. I think you have a good chance if you can craft a compelling story, and CaptainEO told you the basics of what you need to lay out. My story and my GMAT got me into my program with a sub-3.0 undergrad GPA and no business experience.

Yah I've been talking to CaptainEO in PM's, he has given me a lot of great advice. Thank you as well, you guys have now made my decision even more challenging by making this a potential reasonable option. :negative:

Newbsylberry
Dec 29, 2007

I Swim in drag shorts because I have a SMALL PENIS
So I'm going to apply for MBA programs next year, I decided to give myself a year to bolster my resume, and get more of a focus on what I'd like to do the rest of my life. I may end up finding I want to go into a program other than an MBA, but for now I'm looking at going into a top50 school here in the US. My undergrad GPA was poor, in an easy major, so I think I need to do a lot of work, but I've got a general plan of how to make myself a more attractive applicant, and I want to hear what you guys think.

I've got a decent idea for a non-profit website that I am learning the technical side of how to develop and implement (probably at a local level to begin with). I figure if it's completely unsuccessful it will at least show initiative and dedication. I'm going to start volunteering with a local organization in the next couple weeks, and will probably put in about 5 hours a week. I'm also training for an ironman. That's what I'm going to try and do to make myself stand out beyond just the numbers (since GPA isn't so good).

I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but since I have a lot of time to prepare I expect I'll score pretty high. My biggest obstacle is my chronic avoidance of the quantitative. I'm not BAD at math, I just have always been drawn to the languages. Does anyone have any suggestions for classes that will give me a good foundation for the test? I have started studying a bit already, but I can tell I would benefit a lot from building a better foundation.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Newbsylberry posted:

So I'm going to apply for MBA programs next year, I decided to give myself a year to bolster my resume, and get more of a focus on what I'd like to do the rest of my life. I may end up finding I want to go into a program other than an MBA, but for now I'm looking at going into a top50 school here in the US. My undergrad GPA was poor, in an easy major, so I think I need to do a lot of work, but I've got a general plan of how to make myself a more attractive applicant, and I want to hear what you guys think.

I've got a decent idea for a non-profit website that I am learning the technical side of how to develop and implement (probably at a local level to begin with). I figure if it's completely unsuccessful it will at least show initiative and dedication. I'm going to start volunteering with a local organization in the next couple weeks, and will probably put in about 5 hours a week. I'm also training for an ironman. That's what I'm going to try and do to make myself stand out beyond just the numbers (since GPA isn't so good).

I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but since I have a lot of time to prepare I expect I'll score pretty high. My biggest obstacle is my chronic avoidance of the quantitative. I'm not BAD at math, I just have always been drawn to the languages. Does anyone have any suggestions for classes that will give me a good foundation for the test? I have started studying a bit already, but I can tell I would benefit a lot from building a better foundation.

Honestly I'd dissuade you from a top50 unless you can get substantial help with paying for school. The job market sucks right now. What do you want to do with the MBA other than "a career change"? You need to have focus.

As far as the GMAT, the Manhattan study guides worked great for me. I bought them used from ebay and sold them on craigslist for a $40 loss.

Newbsylberry
Dec 29, 2007

I Swim in drag shorts because I have a SMALL PENIS

Tyro posted:

Honestly I'd dissuade you from a top50 unless you can get substantial help with paying for school. The job market sucks right now. What do you want to do with the MBA other than "a career change"? You need to have focus.

As far as the GMAT, the Manhattan study guides worked great for me. I bought them used from ebay and sold them on craigslist for a $40 loss.

Yeah, I agree, the thing is I'm feeling really stagnant right now, and I want to work towards something. I am hoping that giving myself a goal to get into a decent MBA program and working towards that will help me find more of a purpose. I am also hoping that the process itself will give me more of a focus, and give me a better idea of what EXACTLY I want to do with my life.

I should also mention, I don't have a "career," I work on an NIH funded grant. I'll have a job for the next 3 years at least, but I don't like the uncertainty of it, and I don't want to delay the inevitable too long. I've considered going the academic route, but I don't really want to go through years and years of school. Maybe I should speak with a career advisor or something.

I think what he is trying to say, is that the top50 programs typically graduate a class where %60 of the people are employed. Which isn't that high considering how much you'll be paying for such an expensive school.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Newbsylberry fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 18, 2011

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

Tyro posted:

I sound like an idiot but here are flood of questions.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that the top 50 are expensive for the return on investment? Would a top 100 school be a better investment? I assumed the job market would be improved if I started school this year or next as a typical degree takes 2 years and the economy is supposedly getting stronger.

I graduated with a communication degree at the beginning of the recession. I want to head into a new direction career wise with a larger salary available but from the sound of your post it might seem like a bad idea.

Ample fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 18, 2011

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Ample posted:

I sound like an idiot but here are flood of questions.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that the top 50 are expensive for the return on investment? Would a top 100 school be a better investment? I assumed the job market would be improved if I started school this year or next as a typical degree takes 2 years and the economy is supposedly getting stronger.

I graduated with a communication degree at the beginning of the recession. I want to head into a new direction career wise with a larger salary available but from the sound of your post it might seem like a bad idea.

Yeah, Newbsylberry nailed it: hiring sucks right now. I'm eager to see what the 3-month after graduation job placement stats are because generally speaking, at-graduation job placement stats have been dropping the past 2 years. I had the exact same idea as you as far as the economy getting stronger. I am halfway through and I don't think it's getting better out there. Yes, there are jobs, but you'll have to go to a good school, network your rear end off, and have relevant experience. Some of my classmates have offers coming into year 2, which is great. A lot of us don't. A lot of people were scrambling just to get summer internships.

What's a good return on investment depends on what you want to use the MBA for. It's a cost/benefit analysis. There's a good chance I'll end up working for the government so I could've probably gone to a cheap state school, or a part-time program that my employer would have paid for. But I wanted the robust network and the experience of going to a better school and participating in a full time program. Was it worth it? I'm not sure. I'm enjoying it immensely but at the end of the day it's about getting a better job.

Newbsylberry posted:

Yeah, I agree, the thing is I'm feeling really stagnant right now, and I want to work towards something. I am hoping that giving myself a goal to get into a decent MBA program and working towards that will help me find more of a purpose. I am also hoping that the process itself will give me more of a focus, and give me a better idea of what EXACTLY I want to do with my life.

I should also mention, I don't have a "career," I work on an NIH funded grant. I'll have a job for the next 3 years at least, but I don't like the uncertainty of it, and I don't want to delay the inevitable too long. I've considered going the academic route, but I don't really want to go through years and years of school. Maybe I should speak with a career advisor or something.

I think what he is trying to say, is that the top50 programs typically graduate a class where %60 of the people are employed. Which isn't that high considering how much you'll be paying for such an expensive school.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Having a goal is good. You need to have a stated purpose to get into a program, but once you get there you'll probably find it changes. That's OK. Spend the next year or two trying to take on more responsibilities at your NIH grant job. Focus on doing some analytical work if quant's your weak spot.

prankquean
Dec 29, 2008
This has been a helpful thread and I was wondering if I could get some thoughts from folks about my own situation.

I'm currently a junior college student at an elite liberal arts college, majoring in the sciences. I have a good GPA; I'll be taking the GMAT this year and hope to break 700 (on the basis of the diagnostic I took this morning, this is a reasonable goal). In terms of international experience, I am fairly fluent in Polish and less so in French and Russian; I've also lived abroad.

I've done volunteer work, etc., which people have discussed here but my main and most applicable current experience is as CFO of my student government. I manage a $600,000 budget, chair weekly meetings of a 35 person committee and manage a 7 person office, as well as general canoodling with administration and college finances.

I'm most interested in applying to MBA programs with a deferral so I can get some of that real world experience before going to get the MBA. I'm hoping to go to a top 10 school.

So two questions:
1) My friends who are majoring in the humanities say that they need at least a 3.8 to get into various grad schools (the idea being that it's an automatic cutoff). This is a little disheartening as I have a slightly lower GPA; are things different for bschools? for science majors?

2) How is student government experience looked on in the application process? Is it seen as nothing really relevant or would my experience be interesting to schools? Since I'd like to apply and defer, this experience will be most of what schools are seeing when I apply.

Thanks very much, folks! I appreciate any thoughts or help.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

prankquean posted:

I'm most interested in applying to MBA programs with a deferral so I can get some of that real world experience before going to get the MBA. I'm hoping to go to a top 10 school.

When you apply for an MBA, there's a shortlist of questions that the admissions committee wants to have answers to:
  1. Why do you want an MBA?
  2. Why do you want an MBA now?
  3. Why do you want an MBA now from this school?
It's not impossible to have good answers to the first two questions with your plan, but I'm skeptical that you have them, particularly given that you don't talk about your reasons at all. You need to do some serious thinking on the matter.

quote:

1) My friends who are majoring in the humanities say that they need at least a 3.8 to get into various grad schools (the idea being that it's an automatic cutoff).

Your friends are delusional. I have no idea where they got that idea from, but it has no basis in reality.

prankquean
Dec 29, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

When you apply for an MBA, there's a shortlist of questions that the admissions committee wants to have answers to:
  1. Why do you want an MBA?
  2. Why do you want an MBA now?
  3. Why do you want an MBA now from this school?
It's not impossible to have good answers to the first two questions with your plan, but I'm skeptical that you have them, particularly given that you don't talk about your reasons at all. You need to do some serious thinking on the matter.

Your friends are delusional. I have no idea where they got that idea from, but it has no basis in reality.

I appreciate your response. I certainly do have reasons, but wasn't sure the entire thread was interested in hearing about them :)

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

prankquean posted:

This has been a helpful thread and I was wondering if I could get some thoughts from folks about my own situation.

Your GPA ought to be fine. Get 2-3 years work experience then apply.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot
Newbie goon here

Okay so what is the cheapest way to get an MBA?

Aspen University has a program where you can get an online MBA for $4500 if you pay the entirety up front, is this a scam. Like, will I pay the money and it turns out the MBA is piss-easy, like childishly easy?

Any cheap programs in California?

Yes, I know, online MBAs are pooh-poohed, but I'm considering getting one since I have some money coming in, but not a ton.

For the record, I'm 30, and not all that happy in my career trajectory. I don't need a job in ibanking, just a solid middle management position with job security and decent benefits.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flying Guillotine posted:

Newbie goon here

Okay so what is the cheapest way to get an MBA?

Aspen University has a program where you can get an online MBA for $4500 if you pay the entirety up front, is this a scam. Like, will I pay the money and it turns out the MBA is piss-easy, like childishly easy?

Any cheap programs in California?

Yes, I know, online MBAs are pooh-poohed, but I'm considering getting one since I have some money coming in, but not a ton.

For the record, I'm 30, and not all that happy in my career trajectory. I don't need a job in ibanking, just a solid middle management position with job security and decent benefits.

I dunno, I wouldn't do it.

I got my MBA largely paid for by the school just for working as a TA in the b-school. If cost is your main concern, go to a cheaper state school (California has a lot of decent choices).

However, if you really want to switch careers, a cheapo MBA is not going to do much for you.

I got mine almost totally paid for by working as a TA in the b-school.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
I got mediocre grades in college (2.7-2.8 average), but snagged a 730 on my GMAT, and I started and have been running a successful bicycle business since getting my BA in an unrelated field a couple years ago. Is a good MBA school still in the cards, or did I basically shoot myself in the foot during my undergrad?

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

bewbies posted:

I got my MBA largely paid for by the school just for working as a TA in the b-school. If cost is your main concern, go to a cheaper state school (California has a lot of decent choices).

Such as? And how much are we talking about?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Flying Guillotine posted:

Not trying to be a dick but I go to an expensive top 25 school and I would be thrilled to get a job like you're describing. The market blows.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

prankquean posted:

I'm currently a junior college student at an elite liberal arts college, majoring in the sciences. I have a good GPA; I'll be taking the GMAT this year and hope to break 700 (on the basis of the diagnostic I took this morning, this is a reasonable goal). In terms of international experience, I am fairly fluent in Polish and less so in French and Russian; I've also lived abroad.

I've done volunteer work, etc., which people have discussed here but my main and most applicable current experience is as CFO of my student government. I manage a $600,000 budget, chair weekly meetings of a 35 person committee and manage a 7 person office, as well as general canoodling with administration and college finances.

So two questions:
1) My friends who are majoring in the humanities say that they need at least a 3.8 to get into various grad schools (the idea being that it's an automatic cutoff). This is a little disheartening as I have a slightly lower GPA; are things different for bschools? for science majors?

2) How is student government experience looked on in the application process? Is it seen as nothing really relevant or would my experience be interesting to schools? Since I'd like to apply and defer, this experience will be most of what schools are seeing when I apply.

I think the Harvard 2+2 program is specifically aimed at people who major in things such as the sciences and humanities (and women/minorities in general I have heard) and would otherwise not pursue a business career. I'm guessing it's extremely competitive, but if you really have stellar credentials it could be worth looking into.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
e: nm

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Oz Fox posted:

I got mediocre grades in college (2.7-2.8 average), but snagged a 730 on my GMAT, and I started and have been running a successful bicycle business since getting my BA in an unrelated field a couple years ago. Is a good MBA school still in the cards, or did I basically shoot myself in the foot during my undergrad?
IIRC, how much they care about your undergraduate performance is generally inversely related to how long you've been out of school.

Which is to say, if you've only been out a few years, it may harm you. But if you've been out a long time, then maybe not so much.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 31, 2011

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Also, if you're already running a successful business, the MBA may be less valuable than you think :).

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Tyro posted:

Not trying to be a dick but I go to an expensive top 25 school and I would be thrilled to get a job like you're describing. The market blows.

Actualy, that is my dream job, I have a college degree, and I;m working retail now, and have been for a long while.

Looking for cheap California schools...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Oz Fox posted:

Entrepreneurial spirit cannot be taught. You do already have some business acumen. What the MBA would do is create a strong base for you to look at your business critically from different angles: cost accounting, finance, marketing, human resources (behavior), strategy, and general management. I think pursuing an MBA would make you a happier, more confident business-owner, but I would hesitate to register if attending class would have a possible impact to business. The MBA is generally more geared towards the corporate setting, which gives you an out in case poo poo heads south, but would have a muted impact on your shop.