Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I may have failed as even a college stage actor, but I still like to be in character. :( I would probably roleplay even as goons teabagged me with nuclear bombs or whatever happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to make a transport tube in Ss13 that ends right in the singularity?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LvK posted:

I may have failed as even a college stage actor, but I still like to be in character. :( I would probably roleplay even as goons teabagged me with nuclear bombs or whatever happens.

Eh, there's a fair number of people who roleplay. I mean, nobody really gives a poo poo about talking about game mechanics in IC or anything like that, but most people aren't complete metagaming assholes, either(there are exceptions to both, of course).

-Troika- posted:

Is it possible to make a transport tube in Ss13 that ends right in the singularity?

I don't know about right into it, but people fly a few spaces out the end when they ride the disposal so you could definitely make one that fires people into it. There's a guy who likes making a tube that fires people into a teleporter which leads to an asteroid base filled with monsters.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
Griefing hellmoo players is like shooting fish in a barrel, usually they just grief themselves.
Let's see.

There was Nina. Nina was blind and quite angry about everything, you had to try pretty hard not to make her mad. In one instance a couple of players found out that nina was allergic to text jizz and text piss and by allergic I mean loving mad to the point of getting geared, drugged and implanted up with her internet boyfried to hunt them down.
Obviously no one would piss on her ever again after a demonstration of text power like that. Or, you know, make a trigger to piss on nina all the loving time or go out of their way just to gently caress with her by using emotes to mess with her TTS software.

Speaking of emotes, blind players and TTS. A blind player named Fury asked someone for a ride in their plane so they flew straight up to 4000 feet and emoted the journey.

Speaking of planes. There was an indestructable flying pirate fortress which we hijacked and slammed into the city repeatedly, killing a bunch of people and making admins sad.

I was in a notorious corp called Dirty Rotten Scroundrels, we basically ruined the game or made it more fun depending on whatever mood we were in that day. We robbed and killed nearly everyone, including admins. We broke into one guys apartment and he had nothing of value so we called in some favours and redecorated his home, http://pastebin.com/f290ef2a8. After that there was an admin given achievement for DRS redecorating your house. We stole everyones pants at gunpoint, we'd kidnap players by throwing them through portals into places they couldn't escape from or throw dangerous NPCs through portals into the main city. A couple got married in game and we set off rapenades at the ceremony and gangraped his wife and then broke into his custom built honeymoon house and dropped landmines all over the place.

When DRS first started we were all pretty weak and the tough text kids liked to push us around. Some of the tough kids were vampire mutants, this is important.
At one point the admins changed the game so that it was legal to attack vampires in areas with security, if you killed them you still got a wanted level for the local security force. I found out that if you attacked a vampire and just let them kill you then they got the wanted stars and the cops started hunting them. So we started hunting down vampire players, attacking them and letting them kill us. This was pretty useful inside stores, if you started fighting inside a store then security grates would slide down and lock you in for a time so we'd get them trapped in a store, let them kill us and then the cops would come in and kill them and send them to prison. Another side effect was that with enough wanted stars your apartment was no longer protected by the police either and anyone could break into it.
Made a lot of vampires sad by running around naked and hitting them with fishing rods.
Here's an example http://pastebin.com/f532698f7

Finally a few of us griefed the entire game and our own corp by incinerating everything in our HQ. Our HQ had pretty much everything of value in the game, rare pre-nerf weapons, custom items that players had paid for with in game cash which we nicked, mountains of weapons and armour, hundreds of expensive implants. Just everything.
We called in some favours again and had a broadcast camera set up so everyone could tune their televisions in and watch the great incineration and even with admin help it took many hours to destroy everything. I received many angry pages.
I'm told that the game database was considerably lighter after we had finished.

There's a whole bunch of stupid hellmoo stuff here http://helljunk.p4o.net/wiki/index.php/Pastebin_archive

I accidentally became an admin and I discovered to my delight that you don't have to grief players, they grief themselves for your entertainment.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm pretty sure that couldn't be done: the level geometry isn't dynamic or some :techno: like that. But all is not lost! All you need to do is found your own studio and get funding to make a custom 3d engine to support complex and emergent gamplayahahahah

As lead designer on Crimson Haze I will be founding a sub-team to implement dynamic walls. :colbert:

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

Young Freud posted:

TF medic stuff

One of my favorite things in TFC 2fort was to conc jump up to the sniper's nest, toss another conc at him, and infect him, running away gleefully. What generally happens is that the sniper will run back to spawn (since it's right next to the sniper's nest) to heal up, and infect other people who are coming out to join the fight. If they don't have a medic to remove the infection, it can be crazy and slow down an offensive. People REALLY hate infect-and-run medics in TFC.

* For those not familiar with the term, Conc jumping is when you toss a concussion grenade, and run over top of it. The blast propels you pretty high into the air, allowing you to reach the otherwise inaccessible sniper's deck. When you hit a sniper (or anyone else) with one, they become dizzied, and it's almost impossible to aim a sniper rifle while your screen is bobbing around.

sitchelin posted:

That one's good too. I've always found inconvenience to be a great source of anguish however. Either way works. People are gullible as hell when you tell them "okay for real guys this tele goes to the cart im serious."

Like teleporting someone underwater so they have to swim back. Or putting up a teleporter that leads to a dead end with an enemy turret facing it. (Easy to do with a friend on the other team)

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Nektu posted:

You could edit it and make it understandable. Think of it as homework.

Gave it my best shot.

Anyway, here's a griefing vid that's DM_Mariokart related. I feel bad for the kid, but he over-reacts so much it's just funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECw4cHVmB9c

SEARGENT PAUL SEAAARGENT PAUL :argh:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

QwertySanchez posted:

Gave it my best shot.

Anyway, here's a griefing vid that's DM_Mariokart related. I feel bad for the kid, but he over-reacts so much it's just funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECw4cHVmB9c

SEARGENT PAUL SEAAARGENT PAUL :argh:

:frogout:

Seriously, that's not a grief vid either, that's just a whiny 10 year old complaining. Although mildly funny. But mainly only because he's like 10 and sounds like Anakin Skywalker.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Jesus christ. Paul really didn't have to do a drat thing there. What little sympathy I had for the kid went straight out the window when he did the screeching thing though. Do we have a word for people who are so easily griefable that one of those drinking bird thingies could do it? Besides pathetic?
"I'm reporting you to steam for your retarded attitude."

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008
Everyone is fighting in here again.

Heres a classic Red Dead Redemption video. I think its been in here before, but its hilarious so here it is again. Simple shooting of everyone, rage ensues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktDr_DClFU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Diplomaticus posted:

:frogout:

Eh, Paul's egging him on by targeting him and calling him names and crap in chat. That with the reaction is enough to qualify for the thread I think. Not very creative or interesting in the execution I know, but a bad grief can become a good one if it gets enough of a reaction.

It might be better suited for the nerdrage thread in PYF though.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The best part of loving with people on HellMOO was eating their stuff on live TV.

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.
Way back when I used to post in FYAD, (I dunno, like 2004 or so) every now and then we'd get together and play Murder Mansion. Murder Mansion is a Byond game (like SS13) which is not unlike Clue. Basically, one player is the murderer, the others are the party guests. The murderer wants to be the last one standing, the party guests have to figure out who the murderer is and call the cops. If the guest chooses the wrong person as the murderer, he is killed for guessing incorrectly.

There were a variety of ways for the murderer to go about his business. He could climb onto the roof and cut off the power, forcing the house into darkness and necessitating that someone else go up there to fix it. He could shut off the water in the basement, etc. One of the things you could do was to take some rope and drag corpses away for hiding.

One day, another FYAD goon and I (his name now lost to the ghosts of internet past) were playing, and I was the murderer. He would stand by and watch me kill isolated houseguests, (thinking they were safe since who would murder someone in front of a witness?) and then drag the corpse through the house while wearing a mask. Naturally, when people saw him, they'd call the police... and be promptly killed. We spent the better part of an afternoon doing this to people and helping one another lure folks to their deaths.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

kuribo posted:

Way back when I used to post in FYAD, (I dunno, like 2004 or so) every now and then we'd get together and play Murder Mansion. Murder Mansion is a Byond game (like SS13) which is not unlike Clue. Basically, one player is the murderer, the others are the party guests. The murderer wants to be the last one standing, the party guests have to figure out who the murderer is and call the cops. If the guest chooses the wrong person as the murderer, he is killed for guessing incorrectly.

There were a variety of ways for the murderer to go about his business. He could climb onto the roof and cut off the power, forcing the house into darkness and necessitating that someone else go up there to fix it. He could shut off the water in the basement, etc. One of the things you could do was to take some rope and drag corpses away for hiding.

One day, another FYAD goon and I (his name now lost to the ghosts of internet past) were playing, and I was the murderer. He would stand by and watch me kill isolated houseguests, (thinking they were safe since who would murder someone in front of a witness?) and then drag the corpse through the house while wearing a mask. Naturally, when people saw him, they'd call the police... and be promptly killed. We spent the better part of an afternoon doing this to people and helping one another lure folks to their deaths.

Last time I checked, Murder Mansion is also much much easier to learn how to play.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Gabe and Tycho seem to be weighing in on the whole griefing thing. Can't wait to read the newspost.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/8/10/

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GetWellGamers posted:

Gabe and Tycho seem to be weighing in on the whole griefing thing. Can't wait to read the newspost.

This is not an inaccurate portrait of griefing. And one of the few PA that has ever earned a chuckle from me.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

It's more surprising to me that Gabe appears to be new to the concept, despite Tycho pretty much griefing him on a daily basis, especially in the old days before he started playing D&D.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

It's more surprising to me that Gabe appears to be new to the concept, despite Tycho pretty much griefing him on a daily basis, especially in the old days before he started playing D&D.

It makes sense. People that are easily griefed are always surprised, whether it's the first or hundredth time. The gmod roleplay servers prove the point over and over.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Mordaedil posted:

Maybe they're just using their fictional comic personas to convey a topical talking point which is then expanded on in their news article - same as every week? Of course, I may be wrong and I'm missing the big story arc, years of character development etc.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

GetWellGamers posted:

Why is Gabe playing a female character but his face is just his regular face :stare:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ballrawg posted:

Why is Gabe playing a female character but his face is just his regular face :stare:

Because it's funny.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Ballrawg posted:

Because of you and your :stare: reaction, of course. :)

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
In Diablo II, there were plenty of BAD skills you'd never want to level. One of the worst was a Paladin skill called Conversion.

quote:

Through force of will and strength of steel, a noble Paladin with this skill is able to blind his enemies with the glory of the Light. After trading blows with the Paladin and facing the fire of righteousness burning in his eyes, an enemy will sometimes be struck with a divine epiphany and momentarily repent his past undertakings. So complete is the transformation, that the converted will turn to slay its former comrades.

Sounds cool, right? In practice though, it was terrible. No one ever got the skill.

One of the fastest ways to level up was to join a full game and fight the last boss, Baal. He would summon 5 waves of strong monsters before fighting you. Once one wave of monsters was dead, he would summon the next. If you and the other players were strong enough, you'd instantly cream one wave and get the next one a second or two later. After about a minute you've gained multiple levels and someone makes a fresh game to run down to his throne and fight the minions again.

BUT!

code:
Conversion: Duration 16 Seconds
Meteors would be falling, waves of poison filling the room, bears and loving tornadoes and blessed hammers filling the screen. The wave of enemies would be gone instantly. Except one guy, wandering around with a dizzy symbol over his head. Because the whole point of Baal runs was to level quickly, people flipped out over the 16 seconds they had to wait until that one last monster could be damaged.

I've done more elaborate things like hiding a second base in an RTS to drag the round on forever, Garry's Mod traps, etc. but nothing compares to the rage of a Diablo II player who WANTS HIS LEVELS NOW!!

:black101: STOP ATTACKING PALY. STOP CONVERT. gently caress.
:emo: my mom said i have to eat diner soon, pleas stop

:toot: Be my friends lil monster guys!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I knew conversion had to be good for something.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Conversion was good for another kind of griefing. If you converted a monster to friendly, it would get the aura buffs like any other party member would. The thing is, the auras don't drop until a few seconds after the conversion wears off. (I think they may have fixed this in 1.12 or 1.13.)

The idea being on Hell difficulty, you could convert some kind of badass hard hitting monster, and then buff it up with stacked auras and have it basically one shot the first thing it hits as soon as it reverts to hostile.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Voicechat on Halo is usually a goldmine for this poo poo. Spend more than 12 seconds in a game and someone will call you a human being. I like to roll with it and be the campiest most fabulous Snaggletooth I can. Odds are 50/50 between getting laughs and Homophobia Overdrive. They really hate it when you do the assassination moves and whisper sweet nothings in their ear while you shank their guts.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
You could also grief by being a necromancer that would make 20 skeletons, 20 skeleton mages, and revived mobs. it would lag out so many players and even the hammerdin bot that was running you.

For extra bonus, spam bone prisons/walls.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Zaodai posted:

Conversion was good for another kind of griefing. If you converted a monster to friendly, it would get the aura buffs like any other party member would. The thing is, the auras don't drop until a few seconds after the conversion wears off. (I think they may have fixed this in 1.12 or 1.13.)

The idea being on Hell difficulty, you could convert some kind of badass hard hitting monster, and then buff it up with stacked auras and have it basically one shot the first thing it hits as soon as it reverts to hostile.

If there were any melee characters in the group, one level of Thorns Aura would wipe them out as soon as they tried to hit the monster.

You see, numbers in Diablo II were built in such a way that your character had extremely low health compared to his damage (you would essentially dish out multiple times your maximum health every attack), and monsters has extremely high health compared to their damage. In order to make the damage return aura useful, then, its return value had to be something silly: I think that, at level 1, the aura would return 250% of the damage a melee character does to you.

So, the monster would come out of Conversion, keep the thorns aura for a little while, and return to melee attackers damage equal to approximately ten times their maximum health. Sadly, melee characters were pretty rare because they kind of sucked.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you were rushing through Diablo II on battle.net (just doing the quests needed to advance to the next act) a necromancer was great to grief the others during the second act. One of the mandatory quests in act 2 involves going into a dungeon that's filled with insects and lots of small tunnels. In those tunnels you can't stand right next each other so you have to walk in a line. If* there's a monster in the tunnels only the guy in front can melee attack it. For the rest you'll have to rely on projectiles and magic attacks. Even then they'll need a line of sight to the monster which can be tricky in those twisted corridors. Basically, it's one of those dungeons everyone dreads playing through because it just drags on and on...

It doesn't help if your necromancer has brought along all his summons and is clogging up the tunnels! And since you're rushing quests, odds are his summons are not very good at killing things either.

*I say "if" here, but it involves insects so ofcourse they're going to be all over the loving place.

Broadside
Sep 21, 2004

Stay with the devil, or experience hell with an angel.
I cant remember if this ones been posted but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBR6OhPr8

sweet sweet tears

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How do you even set that up without him realizing that he can just noclip?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This reminds me of the time my friends put a bench infront of the bathroom doors, blocking people inside the bathroom. The girls usually went extremely quiet and one dude started crying.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

"Psalmanazar" posted:

I think a better question would be "Where are this kid's parents?"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Anatidaephobia posted:

I think a better question would be "Where are this kid's parents?"

In a home for the deaf.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Radio Paranoia posted:

In a home for the deaf.

Hey, hey! Resident deaf goons take offense to that!
Not really, carry on :v:

VVVVV :golfclap:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 11, 2011

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hey, hey! Resident deaf goons take offense to that!
Not really, carry on :v:

Can't hear you for all the awesome.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Time and time again, whenever I need a griefing pick-me-up or perhaps simply a smile I fall back upon an old favorite- The Parrot.

The Parrot only requires a single thing: voice chat. As soon as someone says anything, get on your mic and repeat it back to them. Now amateurs will repeat other player's words in some kind of silly voice which, admittedly, can be infuriating in its own right. However, anyone that has gone through elementary school as developed a tolerance to this and thus many people will just ignore you and continue on with their game.

The real trick is to repeat other people's words back in a normal tone of voice. The less you try to be irritating, the more irritating you become. It is incredible the rage you can inspire by pretending that you are carrying on a sincere conversation.

Is this the dregs of griefing? Perhaps. But a griefer don't give a gently caress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Psalmanazar posted:

He can't noclip because he is in a vehicle. Then he got himself trapped by not getting out when the other guy started stacking things on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broadside posted:

I cant remember if this ones been posted but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBR6OhPr8

sweet sweet tears

For the love of God Montresor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
EDIT: I somehow posted in the wrong thread :downs:

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 11, 2011

• Locked thread