Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Endor posted:

I switch between two Thunderbolt cases and naked (with a screen protector) depending on my mood.

http://store.androidcentral.com/mobi-products-hard-shell-case/4A123A8207.htm

This one is nice and smooth, slides in and out of the pocket easily, not too bulky. The deep red color version is pretty sweet. Quite thin.

Also have the Seido Surface case in Burgandy: http://store.androidcentral.com/seidio-surface-case/4A123A8059.htm

The Seido is a bit pricy at $28, but I got mine on sale for about $12 which was a much better deal. It has some interior lining to keep the phone's main case from scratching with basic use, but is a bit thicker and "stickier" in your pocket. However, the benefit of "stickier" is that it's less likely to fall out of your hand accidentally.

And if you don't care about the exterior black case getting scratched, a simple screen protector will keep your screen safe while staying as thin as possible. I still hate applying screen protectors though, I always get a drat piece of lint stuck under the fuckers no matter how careful I try to be, and if you don't get the application right on the first time, you may as well throw it away and flush $5-10 down the toilet.

To help you out. Scotch tape will pull lint off of a screen protector without loving it all up. Also. Put the phone higher than the surface you're working on. Like throw it on a book or something and be ocd as poo poo about dust before you lay it down. You can put those on and off 100 times if you keep the work area clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

That's not the point. He already said he wanted an entry level smartphone but was only focusing on the ones that are free right now. Service cost is the same whether you get a free smartphone or the most expensive smartphone. So, if you were already prepared to pay the extra $30 a month for the free smartphone, wait a month or two and put that $30 a month you would have been spending towards a better device.

Can you get one of those $0.01 smartphone deals from amazon and use that to sign another 2 year contract with it?

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

To help you out. Scotch tape will pull lint off of a screen protector without loving it all up. Also. Put the phone higher than the surface you're working on. Like throw it on a book or something and be ocd as poo poo about dust before you lay it down. You can put those on and off 100 times if you keep the work area clean.

Some screen protectors even come with an adhesive "lint remover" that usually works just as good or better than scotch tape. But it doesn't work 100% of the time, sometimes the lint just doesn't want to let go of the screen protector. And it also seems like every time I try to lift up the protector to remove a piece of lint, two more get stuck under it. I try to do the whole "apply in a fogged-up bathroom" trick, but I just have really bad luck with screen protectors, so I learn to live with a bubble here or there.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Man, I really like my ThunderBolt but I want to punch the design team in the face. Who thought that putting the charge port on the same side that the phone will rest on while the stand is propped up was a good idea? gently caress that guy.

The red circle is where the cord plugs into the phone, effectively making the kick-stand completely useless while charging.

=/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's how they get you to buy the dock.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

nickhimself posted:

Man, I really like my ThunderBolt but I want to punch the design team in the face. Who thought that putting the charge port on the same side that the phone will rest on while the stand is propped up was a good idea? gently caress that guy.

The red circle is where the cord plugs into the phone, effectively making the kick-stand completely useless while charging.

=/

You *can* stand it up in portrait mode, instead of the landscape mode like in your photo. Doesn't help if you want to watch some video while your phone is charging, but it's something.

Or you could do what I did: I just used a little cheap plastic cradle device that came with my CyberAcoustic speakers (meant for holding an iPod while plugged into the speakers' Aux-In port) to hold my phone in a slightly tilted landscape mode while plugged in. Not as good as using the kickstand if the usb port were in the right drat spot, but it works.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

nickhimself posted:

=/

Is your next hot news tip about battery life on 4G being poor?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nickhimself posted:

Yeah loving Motorola dipshits who designed the Photon ... wait the Thunderbolt has this problem too? :downs:

Does the kickstand still hold it up if you flip it upside down, or is not strong enough like the Photon's?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah loving Motorola dipshits who designed the Photon ... wait the Thunderbolt has this problem too? :downs:

Does the kickstand still hold it up if you flip it upside down, or is not strong enough like the Photon's?

Strong enough? It isn't designed to.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Probably why he asked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Photon though the kickstand is strong enough that you literally just flip it hte other way and it still works. I don't think this is the case for the Thunderbolt unfortunately, but at least the Photon has a partial solution.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
No, the thunderbolt just collapses on itself. Bummer.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

DaNzA posted:

Can you get one of those $0.01 smartphone deals from amazon and use that to sign another 2 year contract with it?

Amazon profits from the contract, so no. Those smartphone deals are always with a new contract.

Peglegington
Jun 2, 2006

Hmmm.... yes.
I always time my cell phone purchases wrong (like right before a better revolutionary phone comes out, or buying a phone right before 3G is released), I figure I'll run this by you.

My droid finally broke for good (the keyboard was falling apart for a while, which was fine, but recently the "return" or "back" button is broken and so is the search button, which is killing me).

Do I...

a) Get a ThunderBolt or Droid Charge or something like that now?
b) wait for the Bionic?
c) Other

It comes down to: how soon is the Bionic coming out (probably), and how much better is it than what's out now, and is Bionic even the right thing to be holding out for?

Thanks so much, guys.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Peglegington posted:

I always time my cell phone purchases wrong (like right before a better revolutionary phone comes out, or buying a phone right before 3G is released), I figure I'll run this by you.

My droid finally broke for good (the keyboard was falling apart for a while, which was fine, but recently the "return" or "back" button is broken and so is the search button, which is killing me).

Do I...

b) wait for the Bionic?
c) Other

It comes down to: how soon is the Bionic coming out (probably), and how much better is it than what's out now, and is Bionic even the right thing to be holding out for?

Thanks so much, guys.

The new rumored date for the Bionic via the leaked Verizon roadmap is Sept. 8. I'd say the Bionic should be a really solid phone as long as Motorola figured out the battery issue with LTE phones. The only thing recently rumored that I'm interested in is 720p screens (HTC Vigor, etc.). That's something that if it is going to be big in the near future I wouldn't mind having on my next phone. I'm probably just going to grab a Bionic when it comes out though as I'm sick of waiting.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Samsung Galaxy S2 is most likely being officially announced for the US (and possibly released as well) on Aug 29.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/12/samsung-plans-august-29th-mobile-launch-galaxy-s-ii-finally-l/

I recommend waiting until that and the Bionic are both out - and then reading the reviews, trying both out in the store, and picking whatever looks better. Assuming your phone can make it that long...

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Peglegington posted:

Do I...

b) wait for the Bionic?
c) Other

Thanks so much, guys.

I'd cruise craigslist and just find a cheap android phone to hold you over for another month until Bionic/Vigor comes out. You can get a cheap OG Droid or DX locally here for $100-$150.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So my Fascinate stopped sending/receiving calls/texts. My wifes works just fine sitting right next to me. Mine is rooted hers is not but I cant imagine that would cause a problem as I've had mine rooted for like 8 months. I can't even get through dialing the *228. I've also tried rebooting multiple times. Anyone have any suggestions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tismondo posted:

Samsung Galaxy S2 is most likely being officially announced for the US (and possibly released as well) on Aug 29.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/12/samsung-plans-august-29th-mobile-launch-galaxy-s-ii-finally-l/

I recommend waiting until that and the Bionic are both out - and then reading the reviews, trying both out in the store, and picking whatever looks better. Assuming your phone can make it that long...

I will be surprised if there's a Verizon release soon. The only LTE Samsung phone on Verizon's roadmap for the rest of this year is the Stratosphere and that's been all but confirmed as the QWERTY slider that was leaked awhile back.

The 29th is before the release of the bionic anyways so we'll see then, but I'm really not expecting an eminent Verizon release.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 13, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I will be surprised if there's a Verizon release soon. The only LTE Samsung phone on Verizon's roadmap for the rest of this year is the Stratosphere and that's been all but confirmed as the QWERTY slider that was leaked awhile back.

The 29th is before the release of the bionic anyways so we'll see then, but I'm really not expecting an eminent Verizon release.

Except that the Verizon S2 is unlikely to have LTE.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

If the SGSII launches without LTE, it's not worth wasting a subsidy over

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If the SGSII launches without LTE, it's not worth wasting a subsidy over

That's certainly a valid opinion, but it hardly means we have proof that the SGS2 isn't coming to VZW anytime soon.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

bull3964 posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong.... (and let's be fair, it's all speculation at this point) but a leaked roadmap is your evidence against it? iPhone 5 isn't on that roadmap either... you wanna bet against that one for September?

Penguissimo posted:

I'm inclined to agree with you. Still, those specs and pics of the European LTE/GSM GS2.... encourage a boy to dream.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

That's certainly a valid opinion, but it hardly means we have proof that the SGS2 isn't coming to VZW anytime soon.

All I'm saying is there are two Samsung phones for this year on Verizon's roadmap that was leaked, the stratosphere and the illusion. The stratosphere is expected to be the 4g QWERTY slider and the illusion is expected to be a low to mid range device.

It's certainly possible that one of them is actually the SGSII or that it's coming and not on the roadmap, but it seems unlikely right now.

I would also point out that both the Sprint and ATT version have passed FCC at this point. Nothing for Verizon yet.

There is a Samsung Plato slated for January and I would say that would be the best candidate for a SGSII variant. That seems like enough time for them to rework the LTE SGSII announced for Korea for Verizon.

tismondo posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong.... (and let's be fair, it's all speculation at this point) but a leaked roadmap is your evidence against it? iPhone 5 isn't on that roadmap either... you wanna bet against that one for September?

Actually, most analysts have the next iPhone pegged for October at this point. Plus, we know Apple plays by their own rules when it comes to information control.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 13, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

All I'm saying is there are two Samsung phones for this year on Verizon's roadmap that was leaked, the stratosphere and the illusion. The stratosphere is expected to be the 4g QWERTY slider and the illusion is expected to be a low to mid range device.

It's certainly possible that one of them is actually the SGSII or that it's coming and not on the roadmap, but it seems unlikely right now.

I would also point out that both the Sprint and ATT version have passed FCC at this point. Nothing for Verizon yet.

There is a Samsung Plato slated for January and I would say that would be the best candidate for a SGSII variant. That seems like enough time for them to rework the LTE SGSII announced for Korea for Verizon.

Actually, most analysts have the next iPhone pegged for October at this point. Plus, we know Apple plays by their own rules when it comes to information control.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I got confused by this part:

bull3964 posted:

The only LTE Samsung phone

and thought you were implying that if there's no LTE GS2, there wouldn't be any for Verizon.

I need to go to bed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have an unlocked SGSII on AT&T and the battery is horrible...if Samaung bolted an LTE radio onto it, the battery life would be measured in minutes to hours.

So unless there is some sort of super secret battery technology around the corner, I wouldn't hold your breath for a CDMA LTE SGSII. It would gobble power like nobody's business and make the Thunderbolt look good...

Ninja edit: the SGSII is on it's way back to Amazon. Just can't worry every time I turn on the display that it's going to die any minute...

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm trying to decide between a Droid Charge and Droid Incredible 2 for my upgrade from an OG Droid. Leaning towards the Incredible 2 because of its superior battery life but the SAMOLED screen and 4G are nice bonuses, especially on my unlimited data plan. Can someone tell me if rooting a Charge helps any with the battery life?

Also is it possible to get a Charge and exchange it in for another phone if it's a piece of poo poo? I know Verizon has a trade-in program but I don't know if that means being able to exchange for another phone that costs the same amount.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

nachos posted:

I'm trying to decide between a Droid Charge and Droid Incredible 2 for my upgrade from an OG Droid. Leaning towards the Incredible 2 because of its superior battery life but the SAMOLED screen and 4G are nice bonuses, especially on my unlimited data plan. Can someone tell me if rooting a Charge helps any with the battery life?

Also is it possible to get a Charge and exchange it in for another phone if it's a piece of poo poo? I know Verizon has a trade-in program but I don't know if that means being able to exchange for another phone that costs the same amount.

I don't personally own a Droid Charge, but I hear the battery life isn't too shabby. In fact, a lot of the people that I've talked with (including a Verizon Wireless employee) say that the phone lasts a good day and a half with regular usage. Hope this might be of a small enlightenment.

Of course, I think the incredible 2 will still have longer battery life.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nachos posted:

I got a Charge a month or two ago and it is fantastic so far. The screen is by far the best feature of it for me, so much so that I don't know if I can get another phone that doesn't have a SAMOLED. 4G is nice, but I'm on a 2gb plan and so use wifi most of the time. Battery was fine before rooting (something like 15-20 hours using primarily wifi, screen brightness low, light/moderate usage).

I rooted it and put Humble on and now battery life is pretty spectacular. I plugged it in this morning with 10% left after up time of ~38 hours, again with mostly wifi rather than mobile network. Rooting/Humble also made it quite a bit snappier (doubled my Quadrant score, for whatever that's worth).

The sole concern I have is that the SGSII or Bionic might beat the Charge in every category: lighter weight, screen as good or better, better battery, dual-core, etc. Still, compared to Droid X2 or Incredible 2, I would easily take the Charge again.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 14, 2011

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

I got a Charge a month or two ago and it is fantastic so far. The screen is by far the best feature of it for me, so much so that I don't know if I can get another phone that doesn't have a SAMOLED. 4G is nice, but I'm on a 2gb plan and so use wifi most of the time. Battery was fine before rooting (something like 15-20 hours using primarily wifi, screen brightness low, light/moderate usage).

I rooted it and put Humble on and now battery life is pretty spectacular. I plugged it in this morning with 10% left after up time of ~38 hours, again with mostly wifi rather than mobile network. Rooting/Humble also made it quite a bit snappier (doubled my Quadrant score, for whatever that's worth).

The sole concern I have is that the SGSII or Bionic might beat the Charge in every category: lighter weight, screen as good or better, better battery, dual-core, etc. Still, compared to Droid X2 or Incredible 2, I would easily take the Charge again.

It's unlikely the Bionic will have a better screen. Samsung has routinely destroyed Motorola when it comes to screen quality.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just to be sure, a transfer of liability DOES knock you down to the 2GB cap right?

My friend wants to keep his unlimited data but also go under his own plan ( he is under his sisters plan at the moment) he called Verizon and they told him once he gets his new phone that they can do a transfer of liability and set him up under his own plan.

I thought I read in this thread that it would automatically take his unlimited data away though?

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just to be sure, a transfer of liability DOES knock you down to the 2GB cap right?

My friend wants to keep his unlimited data but also go under his own plan ( he is under his sisters plan at the moment) he called Verizon and they told him once he gets his new phone that they can do a transfer of liability and set him up under his own plan.

I thought I read in this thread that it would automatically take his unlimited data away though?

It depends. I did a transfer last month-there was a pause while they verified me by checking my water bill. The first person said yes and did it, the second person said that was not the case and put unlimited back on. So, I still have an unlimited plan even after transfer.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Professorbx posted:

It depends. I did a transfer last month-there was a pause while they verified me by checking my water bill. The first person said yes and did it, the second person said that was not the case and put unlimited back on. So, I still have an unlimited plan even after transfer.

So it's just a case of finding someone who is willing to keep your unlimited plan while you transfer?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Google is buying Motorola. Whoa.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well then. That pretty much confirms I will be buying the Bionic.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Droid Bionic 2 will be the new Nexus, calling it now

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Well then. That pretty much confirms I will be buying the Bionic.

Yea, you guys know I had pretty much written off the Bionic but this complicates things immensely. Man, that's is awesome though. It's going to rule having a manufacturer put out hopefully stock Android phones.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Yea, you guys know I had pretty much written off the Bionic but this complicates things immensely.

I can see this applying to future phones, but how does this affect production a phone that's basically ready to ship? Or are people expecting Google's ownership to dramatically affect the future upgrade support of the Bionic?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Endor posted:

I can see this applying to future phones, but how does this affect production a phone that's basically ready to ship? Or are people expecting Google's ownership to dramatically affect the future upgrade support of the Bionic?

Mainly I'm thinking of the possibility of an unlocked bootloader and future updates. All speculation though. I'll probably still end up with a vigor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endor posted:

Or are people expecting Google's ownership to dramatically affect the future upgrade support of the Bionic?

This basically. There's even more of a chance now the bootloader will be unlocked. It also now lends credence to the rumors earlier about ICS being optimized for OMAP (TI being Moto's preferred SoC solution provider). This also throws a whole new perspective on Motorola developing their own LTE chipset for release with the Bionic. OS LTE support is coming in ICS and I wonder who's chipset it's likely to be optimized for now?

This deal has likely been in the works for quite some time and in retrospect, a lot of Motorola's moves over the past 9 months make a lot more sense.

• Locked thread