Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

CORGIDOR!!!!! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ugh PetFinder.com has a lovely looking male Corgi I would love to adopt, however the shelter also has a female from a litter it had and the female he got it on with. I know it's most likely that someone won't take all 3 but I just can't know I was one of the one that broke up their little family.

</absolutelyinsane>

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Just got an email (well, SEVEN emails) from Paul Chen of Afara today...

THERE ARE SEVEN PUPPIES! The Rocky x Jolene litter is now 5 weeks old, and there are 6 boys and 1 girl. 3 of the boys are b/w, 3 are blue merle, and the girl is b/w.

I will have pics as soon as I know what's happening next!

Which leads me to my question: What happens next? I really truly don't have a preference, literally all of them are disgustingly adorable. Should I immediately reply to let him know I'm still on board and have fingers crossed that one of the pups is right for us? Should I call? (I'm leaning toward calling.)

I could have a dog in less than a month, after waiting SO LONG oh my god!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

ButWhatIf posted:

THERE ARE SEVEN PUPPIES! The Rocky x Jolene litter is now 5 weeks old, and there are 6 boys and 1 girl. 3 of the boys are b/w, 3 are blue merle, and the girl is b/w.

Which leads me to my question: What happens next? I really truly don't have a preference, literally all of them are disgustingly adorable. Should I immediately reply to let him know I'm still on board and have fingers crossed that one of the pups is right for us? Should I call? (I'm leaning toward calling.)

Yeah, I would call. If you can't get in touch with them, email.

I would request that the breeder match you with a pup assuming you have no preference. I imagine the breeder has a pretty good idea of what you're looking for, but if not I guess (re)make your list and make sure they understand what you're looking for.

Good luck. How exciting!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

yayyyy! congrats! I would call and say YES YES OMG YES PLEASE! :D :D :D

We didn't have a preference on what colorings we were looking for either. We heard male cardigans are a little more mellow/ more likely to back down, so we had a slight preference for a male.

Orbit was also in a litter of b&w/merle puppies. Here they are at 8 weeks when we went to go pick him up and take him home:

The merle with the ears up was already taken, as was one of the other b&w puppies, and I think Bruce the breeder was holding onto one of the b&w females for showing. Orbit is the one in the back left with the slimmer white stripe on his nose. We liked him because he had a cute white diamond/ heart splotch on his back instead of the bib going all the way around the neck, but MOSTLY we picked him because of his personality. He settled nicely when we held him, he was the only one to give us both licks, and he seemed confident without being pushy.

bonus photo of Orbit and his sister at 5 weeks:

** edit to say that you should talk to the breeder about personality too. Bruce gave us a couple options for puppies that would be good, and then kept emailing us with updates on how "Diamond" was doing with handling and his littermates, which was really nice.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
PICTUUUUUUURES!

Black boy #1:

I'm in love with the heart-shaped blaze, and his overall structure looks good to me.

Black boy #2:

Pretty white collar and awww what a face.

Black boy #3:

Eee the freckle by his nose!

Blue boy #1:

Wook at da widdle stubby feetsies!

Blue boy #2:

His freckly face reminds me of the sheltie I had as a kid. So sweet!

Blue boy #3:

Real nice build, polar bear face! Precious.

Black girl:

Her face is so much shorter and stubbier than her brothers'. This is the one my husband will push for.

I think my two favorites are black boy #1 and blue boy #3. I sent an email asking if there's a good time for us to come visit. I'd like to talk in person best of all, but a phone call is the next best thing. I'm guessing we'll have a lot to talk about!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

AWW LOOK AT ALL THOSE LITTLE CARDIGANS!!!!!!! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!!! It kind of makes me want to get a blue brother or sister for Orbit, they are so prettyyyyyyyy!

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Corgis, gotta love them. Some (many) pictures of our Corgi, Marley:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Someone posted in the herding thread about Treibball (basically a new dog sport involving herding big balls into a goal post) and it looks like something Orbit would really be into. He tries to herd our feet and I'd like to give him an outlet for his herding instincts that isn't nippy/ towards us. Have any of you guys tried it? He's just shy of 4 months old so I think a HUGE ball would be too much, but we were thinking of starting with a soccer ball or something. It doesn't seem high impact like other dog sports, so I can't think of a reason for him not to try it out casually at home.. is there anything I'm missing?

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006

aliceamadee posted:

Someone posted in the herding thread about Treibball (basically a new dog sport involving herding big balls into a goal post) and it looks like something Orbit would really be into. He tries to herd our feet and I'd like to give him an outlet for his herding instincts that isn't nippy/ towards us. Have any of you guys tried it? He's just shy of 4 months old so I think a HUGE ball would be too much, but we were thinking of starting with a soccer ball or something. It doesn't seem high impact like other dog sports, so I can't think of a reason for him not to try it out casually at home.. is there anything I'm missing?

It's amazing how instinctual dogs are. Marley had never seen a cow before, but we took him to friend's farm and let him loose just to see what he'd do. He joined the Australian cattle dog and they worked together in herding the cattle. Amazing.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

OneWhoKnows posted:

It's amazing how instinctual dogs are. Marley had never seen a cow before, but we took him to friend's farm and let him loose just to see what he'd do. He joined the Australian cattle dog and they worked together in herding the cattle. Amazing.

ahh that is awesome! When Orbit has some kind of recall I'd like to take him to a herding instinct test and see how he does.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

OneWhoKnows posted:

It's interesting: we have a farm in the heart of the city. They have cows, sheep and other things. My Australian Shepherd can pass by the cows without batting an eyelash, but she goes into super excited stalk/herd mode for the sheep. Someone should tell her she was born to herd both.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

OneWhoKnows posted:

Corgis, gotta love them. Some (many) pictures of our Corgi, Marley:

That is one blissed-out corgi :3:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh my god all these puppy pictures.

I wish I won the lottery I would get all the corgis. Big house full of puppies. Puppppppiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tristesse posted:

I wish I won the lottery I would get all the corgis. Big house full of puppies. Puppppppiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

This is literally the worst idea ever spawned by a brain, but I keep wanting to call and be like "CAN I HAVE ALL SEVEN PLZ??"

Literally the worst. High-energy puppy^7. I would never sleep again.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Never, and I can only image how insanely badly behaved they would be, but I still want it for some reason.

Mainly because of those faces. Oh god corgi puppy faces.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I KNOW! I already want another puppy after looking at those photos and Orbit is only 4 months! He seems SO BIG now though, compared to when he was just a baby corginugget with a round round head and floopsy ears in the FAR DISTANT PAST OF TWO MONTHS AGO. :D

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I imagine with 7 Corgis they just constantly chase each other in a perfect circle and you never have to worry about their exercise or play time.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

The Dave posted:

I imagine with 7 Corgis they just constantly chase each other in a perfect circle and you never have to worry about their exercise or play time.

If someone drew this, it would be my avatar forever.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006

Tristesse posted:

My fiancee wants farm land so she can plant vegetables have a few milk/meat cows, horses... and a corgi farm.

She says it'd be for therapy because who the gently caress could be sad walking up to a place that has 50 corgis running up to greet you?

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

OneWhoKnows posted:

My fiancee wants farm land so she can plant vegetables have a few milk/meat cows, horses... and a corgi farm.

She says it'd be for therapy because who the gently caress could be sad walking up to a place that has 50 corgis running up to greet you?

aliceamadee probably won't admit it here but that's what she wants too. except for the cow part, because she's vegan. substitute with donkeys.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The Dave posted:

There is a house near us where I once saw at least five corgis in the yard. There was much adorable romping going on :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

My husband is fond of saying that all corgis practice mind control to convince you to get more corgis. We know Josie is trying her best to mind control us, but we're holding out for now. We fully intend to get another dog eventually, but for now we want to be respectful of our old cat who has CRF. He doesn't like dogs much, and barely tolerates Josie, so we don't want to foist another dog on him in his last years.

Josie says MORE CORGIS... YOU WANT MORE CORGIS

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anachrodragon posted:

My husband is fond of saying that all corgis practice mind control to convince you to get more corgis.
I had a corgi growing up, and by the time she was 10, my extended family had 8 corgis between us all. Unfortunately not a single one of them was well trained so they were all insufferable little shits. My corgi, Ellie, was awesome, though.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I love Josie!!!!! <3 <3 <3

I found out that there's a Cardigan Club in our area that may have an event in October. I really hope they do because I would LOVE to see so many corgis all in one spot!!!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

aliceamadee posted:

I love Josie!!!!! <3 <3 <3

I found out that there's a Cardigan Club in our area that may have an event in October. I really hope they do because I would LOVE to see so many corgis all in one spot!!!

We took Pepper and Loki to the Middleburg, VA christmas parade, where the fan favorite portion is the army of corgis (the corgi corps) that walk the streets. They said it was something like 60 corgis there, but it seemed like that was a gross underestimation. Most of them were Pembrokes, but there were a few Cardigans there

Here is a video of some of the walk. Note: these aren't my videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbGO3zTum1w

The best part was waiting for the parade to start and all the dogs were in the staging area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8SF0lTsbE&feature=related

At around 0:03 you can see Pepper sprint forwards (for no reason at all). The lard-rear end in the brown hoodie, Yankees hat, and the silly low-budget white sign is my walking Loki, who was just under a year old. What is odd, is that Loki was much better behaved than Pepper, which is quite the opposite than the norm.

You can also catch them in two other videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wNj2DKVvc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qto-II1OGAE

Edit:

Christmas parade starring Loki (and why retractable leashes are a terrible idea)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw_jjBfJbk8

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 16, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
They should make retractable leaches with those fighting kite strings, so the dogs on them :ese: the poo poo out of their owners.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 16, 2011

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

omg omg omg omg corgi corps! that made my day, thank you!!!!! soooo many corgis!!!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Corgi Corps is amazing, however in that second video why is that woman making that poor fellow walk with a limp?

Also, I'm purchasing this for the mud room in our new house which will be Taziki's room when we're at work: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77416280/cardigan-corgi-print-life-is-short-8x10

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

WHY HAVE I NOT DONE AN ETSY SEARCH FOR CORGI YET? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME????? :bang:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

EDIT: There's actually a lot of awesome stuff and also check zazzle.com for a ton of awesome Corgi cards.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

aliceamadee posted:

WHY HAVE I NOT DONE AN ETSY SEARCH FOR CORGI YET? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME????? :bang:

gently caress. I shouldn't have done this

(Seriously, I don't want to be one of those people who has a ton of weird corgi stuff all over the house.)

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 16, 2011

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My rule of thumb is "How weird will this be when the dog dies?" if you plan on having Corgis your whole life then go nuts.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Here's a video of Orbit getting the zoomies on our walk yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9mrifCciU

The retractable leash is his reward for walking nicely to the park/ river walk. He gets to zoom around and be silly on that part of the walk and then we go back to the normal leash on the walk back. He's slooooowly learning that walks are fun, but it's an uphill battle!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

The Dave posted:

Corgi Corps is amazing, however in that second video why is that woman making that poor fellow walk with a limp?

Also, I'm purchasing this for the mud room in our new house which will be Taziki's room when we're at work: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77416280/cardigan-corgi-print-life-is-short-8x10

I couldn't tell if the leash was under his leg, the costume was bothering him, or if he actually had a limp. However, interestingly enough, Pepper had a partial tear in her knee we didn't know about at this event and she continued to zoom around like nothing was wrong.

Her TPLO surgery was a total success, and I would estimate she is at least 95% of what she was before the tear. She is still zooming around like noone's business. I still get nervous when they nip at each others hind legs when they play though

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah my wife and I noticed that last night too. You can see him limping in both of the first 2 videos for sure and he was limping pretty good. Shouldn't be making that poor pup walk on a limp like that. :smith:

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah my wife and I noticed that last night too. You can see him limping in both of the first 2 videos for sure and he was limping pretty good. Shouldn't be making that poor pup walk on a limp like that. :smith:

Yeah, i looked at it a bit closer and the leash clearly wasn't under the leg.

Sadly, not everyone is a responsible dog owner

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Update: corgis still cool

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Lola just turned five months old and started puppy school yesterday!

Shes laying down in our big cat Tobys favorite spot and she sees him coming to reclaim it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin's first birthday is coming up and I want to make him a dog cake. How can I do this thing for him? He gets more awesome every day, but drat does he talk a lot. He also can run really fast and jump like a maniac off two legs for his ball. His quads are freaking ripped. He is also HUGENORMOUS. I weighed him today: 31 lbs and ain't no fat on him. More pics forthcoming!

• Locked thread