Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I saw these linked and thought, "Photos? Architectural graphics renders, surely..."

Then read the description :o:

Reminds me of the photos that Stieglitz did for a silk company. He photographed sugar cubes and eye glasses with light raked across it into a really cool pattern that the company used to print onto their scarves. I can't find the photos online anywhere, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

A few from Lewis Hine.

^16 Year old living off the dump.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

East Lake posted:

A few from Lewis Hine.

Shorpy!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11663-11769

I understand how he combines the images, but I am not 100% on how that ends up with a huge resolution final. I'm guessing he does an initial multi image panorama for the stadium, then uses a longer telephoto lens for the subjects.

alternatively he uses a longish lens entirely, taking a huge number for the larger setting, but then just photographs the action portions after the event starts. With a panoramic head, that would be fairly easy to make sure everything aligns.

Interesting photos, I bet large they are really fun to examine.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Alex Prager

brad industry
May 22, 2004
You should watch the short film she did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVBgx_0-iUE

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Absolutely stunning, I've never seen it before. Thanks for sharing the link!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It's like everyone she hangs out with has wardrobes stuck in the 50's. Really neat how mundane and everyday most of the pictures look.

The one from her 2008 collection of the black haired girl in the water is absolutely perfect though. Astounding colors there.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016667/Colour-pictures-revealed-London-blitz-Nazi-bombers-World-War-II.html

The London Blitz in color. Guy reading a book with the barrage balloons in the background is amazing.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
Mae Ryan : Ladies of the Polytechnical Museum

Alex Stoddard : 365 Project

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
holy gently caress

gullfoss IV by s k o o v, on Flickr

a year in a minute by s k o o v, on Flickr

bay of stars by s k o o v, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Arinel posted:

K, gonna go kill myself.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Alex is a super nice dude as well. I'm glad he's hitting big, I've been sort of following him from the start.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

Alex is a super nice dude as well. I'm glad he's hitting big, I've been sort of following him from the start.

Any idea what his setup is like for the two shots you posted? I can't even begin to think about how I would go about doing that.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Any idea what his setup is like for the two shots you posted? I can't even begin to think about how I would go about doing that.

He does quite a bit in photoshop probably a lot of comping in different poses from different frames. I mean I don't know him super well, just close enough to be Facebook friends haha.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Someone should buy him an account.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Arinel posted:

Holy gently caress. :aaaaa:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The funny thing about him is that I used to do correspondence for a photographer that I was interning/assisting for and he emailed her asking for tips, and as she instructed I just gave him some generic advice as her -and a few months later he's absolutely blowing the poo poo out of everything.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

In that case, I would also like those tips.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

He really is infuriatingly fantastic.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It's interesting because he's part of a sort of new vanguard of flickr superstars coming out of America when it sort of seemed to be mostly young British teens (Rosie Hardy etc.)

Someone he's worked with and is similar to style to him is Karrah Kobus - http://www.flickr.com/photos/karrah_kobus/

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

It's interesting because he's part of a sort of new vanguard of flickr superstars coming out of America when it sort of seemed to be mostly young British teens (Rosie Hardy etc.)

Someone he's worked with and is similar to style to him is Karrah Kobus - http://www.flickr.com/photos/karrah_kobus/

Good lord. I feel so loving inferior to these people.

upon a distant ripple. by karrah.kobus, on Flickr

paper bag lunches. by karrah.kobus, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I don't mean to make any waves, but as creative and technically good as those photos are, I still think 365s are very, very lame. I mean, shouldn't your subject be something a little bit more foreign and interesting than your own self?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I don't mean to make any waves, but as creative and technically good as those photos are, I still think 365s are very, very lame. I mean, shouldn't your subject be something a little bit more foreign and interesting than your own self?

They're not always self portrait projects.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I think that's what is pretty interesting about them is because for self portrait heavy people they're using themselves as a blank canvas and figuring out interesting and creative ways to make that compelling.

A lot of creativity to me comes from restriction and trying to get around that. Karrah and Alex are both youngish kids in I think the rural south and midwest respectively. All they really have access to is themselves and I think they're doing a drat good job of maximising what they have and producing great work within their limitations.

The thing that drives me nuts about it is how they all seem to love square crops.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Because large format.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

Because large format.

They aren't shooting large format though, cropping in post. Unless you mean they're subconsciously trying to emulate that

decarboxylated
May 4, 2006
cells!

Paragon8 posted:

Unless you mean they're subconsciously trying to emulate that

ding ding

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

decarboxylated posted:

ding ding

Silently biding your time to get in some kind of burn somewhere?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

They aren't shooting large format though, cropping in post. Unless you mean they're subconsciously trying to emulate that

Yeah. I do it quite often.
For certain applications it has an excellent aesthetic.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

Yeah. I do it quite often.
For certain applications it has an excellent aesthetic.

Oh I agree, I just tend to be a bit of a sperg with trying to preserve in camera aspect ratios. I think square is a pretty good aspect for web images though - especially on sites like flickr. I might experiment around with it more.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Some of those photos are alright but there is something I find fundamentally problematic with the concept of the 'flickr-star;' they are instantly recognizable as Flickr Photographers. I think this homogeneity is one of my main problems with the propagation of social media as the avenue of choice for young photographers.
The 365 project is exemplary of this, as it functions primarily as a platform for instant interaction with a fickle and cursory audience. Instead of encouraging contemplation and development it encourages photographers to produce that which gets immediate results in the form of views/favs/comments. This is especially bad in my mind as the social order of flickr/deviantart/most photo forums is to actively discourage criticism. This leaves non-viewing as essentially the only accepted form of dissent. Further, the effect of 'views' as not only a primary motivational factor but a major contributer to popularity and 'discovery' within the social media sphere encourages a flash-recognition mode of photography-reading (ie: people tend to notice and therefore view thumbnails which are composed of bright colors, contrasts, easily cropped to square and seen small, etc.), which in turn seems to lead to increasingly similar work. It's a form of 'individualistic' genericism where stylistic and thematic similarity is writ-large (see the overwhelming popularity of not only self-portrait but specifically sexualized-skinny-white-teen portraiture).

Some better (but not entirely overlapping and not perfect) writing on the subject is in La Pura Vida photo magazine.

This may not be the best thread for this discussion, but I'm not sure where else to have it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Some of those photos are alright but there is something I find fundamentally problematic with the concept of the 'flickr-star;' they are instantly recognizable as Flickr Photographers. I think this homogeneity is one of my main problems with the propagation of social media as the avenue of choice for young photographers.
The 365 project is exemplary of this, as it functions primarily as a platform for instant interaction with a fickle and cursory audience. Instead of encouraging contemplation and development it encourages photographers to produce that which gets immediate results in the form of views/favs/comments. This is especially bad in my mind as the social order of flickr/deviantart/most photo forums is to actively discourage criticism. This leaves non-viewing as essentially the only accepted form of dissent. Further, the effect of 'views' as not only a primary motivational factor but a major contributer to popularity and 'discovery' within the social media sphere encourages a flash-recognition mode of photography-reading (ie: people tend to notice and therefore view thumbnails which are composed of bright colors, contrasts, easily cropped to square and seen small, etc.), which in turn seems to lead to increasingly similar work. It's a form of 'individualistic' genericism where stylistic and thematic similarity is writ-large (see the overwhelming popularity of not only self-portrait but specifically sexualized-skinny-white-teen portraiture).

Some better (but not entirely overlapping and not perfect) writing on the subject is in La Pura Vida photo magazine.

This may not be the best thread for this discussion, but I'm not sure where else to have it.

I think this is a great discussion to have and you should start a new thread for it. I think the square crop being better as a thumbnail is a really interesting point.

I have huge problems with the nature of flickr and the flickr superstar. You're absolutely right how flickr's "culture" discourages criticism by promoting insular chains and groups of individuals sharing a style or gimmick like 365.

The overabundance of skinny white teen self portraiture I think is just down to that group being the most comfortable photographing themselves and begin able to afford photography as a hobby at a young age (of course that there's a huge group of creepy flickr users who borderline groom young photographers by buying them flickr pro etc.)

All that said I don't think you can take too much away from the individual accomplishments and talents of young photographers like Stoddard and Kobus. It's not their fault the system is "broken" and they happen to succeed at it.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

Reichstag posted:

Some stuff.

I honestly agree with you about all of the things you said here, however I feel that square crop/colours etc. while it can influence views I'm not sure you can judge his work on that account. Though I totally agree that you have noticed something that is similar in these Flickr super-stars.

I also agree it's generic a lot of his other stuff, dreamy white boy poses with some indie element. Someone asked me if it was talented (or at least we got on talking about his talent) and I agreed his themes are generic. His vision is nothing new. Good photography comes from a message which can only come through in a series. His and any 365 I've seen seriously lacks that.

But 365 isn't about being a good photographer (mostly) it's about learning to be better. Literally practice makes perfect. It's like buying the camera, it can be 'expensive' (temporally, or for the pocket) but it is somewhat necessary. I agree that in the days of Flickr this then gives a limit to the budding artist, or at least drives them in the wrong direction.

In the sense that all the views will be for one pretty picture without the soul of art.

I don't think that should stop us from looking at pretty 365s (or other similar 'Flickr' projects) but when looking we should be aware.

As he matures I (believe) that an artist will strive to put meaning and structure into a series. But maybe we should argue this when he brings out another series.
And it is possible that he will make this sort of stuff forever, but while people may 'know' him I don't think this existence will erode other photographers (or their vision etc.) because generic just becomes more obvious as you make more work.

If he wants to get to a gallery (that isn't smallish) he's going to have to become more like a photographer as we see them. And if he wants to get money just by selling this stuff, then people will recognise that this sort of selling makes him more of a tradesman than an artist. But, as I said, I don't think it will go that way, he's quite young and his work has a naivety above that of the generic white boy innocence that is we expect to see in these shots.

[Edit, since I didn't want to fill the thread with OT stuff but I also wanted to clarify.] I also think pretty things are important, and not just important because they are practice. I just don't think they can obtain the level of art that a series of work (w the same amount of skill) that has meaning can obtain.

Arinel fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 15, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Arinel posted:

Literally practice makes perfect.

I'm writing the OP for a thread for this discussion to take place in, but I have to respond to this now: No, it doesn't. For reasons related to what I posted, and some rather larger ones, like talent (whatever it is). Taking a 100 photos a day doesn't make you a better photographer.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 15, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Reichstag posted:

I'm writing the OP for a thread for this discussion to take place in, but I have to respond to this now: No, it doesn't. For reasons related to what I posted, and some rather larger ones, like talent (whatever it is). Taking a 100 photos a day doesn't make you a better photographer.

Taking a 100 photos a day that challenge you in some way does. The subject matter of these 365-projects, despite being appealing on an individual basis can appear stagnate as a whole, but I think it's rather foolish to assume that they aren't growing in some way by doing them.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

Oh I agree, I just tend to be a bit of a sperg with trying to preserve in camera aspect ratios. I think square is a pretty good aspect for web images though - especially on sites like flickr. I might experiment around with it more.

As an avatar and thumbnail, yes they're better. I'm not so much of a fan as a generally rectangular/oblong crop, esp in certain situations, where the eye is drawn across or along the shot.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I was browsing some of my RSS feeds and this guy Hengki Koentjoro came up, and I was totally blown away by his B&W film work, stunning stuff.

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007
marc peckmezian, a friend of mine who goes to the same school as me - totally amazing at what he does. he just got picked up by a contemporary gallery and he deserves it. he also loves taking pictures of dogs

http://www.markpeckmezian.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I've been following that guy on flickr for a while now, love his work.

• Locked thread