Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Huge McPunch posted:

As long as you don't get the Pro Link CBX there are several acceptable suspension solutions from Marzocchi. The frame isn't all that bad, but it's a tourer not a racer. Getting another frame will be expensive and probably not worth it.

I have limited experience with the CBX 1000 myself, but a close friend told me that they're just not worth the trouble.

Also gently caress you, Conan, for taking up this subject ;)

Eh id make the frame myself. Going to spend next week learning as much as possible from a friend who's been making frames and building drag cars and exhausts and stuff for about twice as long as I've been alive.

Or ill do an engine swap on something more modern. Id love to take it on the track too, so that's a factor.

Sorry buddy. You know I :love: you ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge McPunch
Aug 6, 2011

by angerbeet

Z3n posted:

Eh id make the frame myself. Going to spend next week learning as much as possible from a friend who's been making frames and building drag cars and exhausts and stuff for about twice as long as I've been alive.

Or ill do an engine swap on something more modern. Id love to take it on the track too, so that's a factor.

Sorry buddy. You know I :love: you ;)

I checked. Best frame match is probably a YZF1000, but that'll require more work than I'd care to do. Should be manageable though, if you're really determinated.

Actually what the CBX engine has is the sound, not much more. It's a bitch to tune, and the reward is somewhat lacking. Even the sound can be beaten. My close friend owned a Benelli 750 Sei before he got the shitpile. Better six all around, but they'll probably be hard to find today.

Not that the standard 102Hp for the non-Pro Link isn't more than enough for the frame, but put in a new frame and performance tuned I foresee several problems arising. Clutch is a bit underdimensioned and the gearbox is exactly the same the 900 Bol D'or uses.

I know I'm kicking an icon here, but the CBX engine is actually all kinds of lovely. Most people seem to think that it derived from the CB750K/F engine, but it unfortunately didn't. It's actually a downsized 900 Bol D'or with a few extra cylinders.

Yes, my close friend just about hates his CBX and would rather ride his heavily tuned GT750. Much faster and better sound too.

Huge McPunch fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 13, 2011

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I've never ridden a bike before, but I want to get one and learn.

I have my eye on a 74 Honda CB200T with 11k miles for $600. The ad says it runs well, and it looks nice in the pictures. Is this a decent bike for a beginner? I really just want to learn on it and (eventually) commute to work.

Obligatory reference to Z3n's avatar.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Huge McPunch posted:

I checked. Best frame match is probably a YZF1000, but that'll require more work than I'd care to do. Should be manageable though, if you're really determinated.

Actually what the CBX engine has is the sound, not much more. It's a bitch to tune, and the reward is somewhat lacking. Even the sound can be beaten. My close friend owned a Benelli 750 Sei before he got the shitpile. Better six all around, but they'll probably be hard to find today.

Not that the standard 102Hp for the non-Pro Link isn't more than enough for the frame, but put in a new frame and performance tuned I foresee several problems arising. Clutch is a bit underdimensioned and the gearbox is exactly the same the 900 Bol D'or uses.

I know I'm kicking an icon here, but the CBX engine is actually all kinds of lovely. Most people seem to think that it derived from the CB750K/F engine, but it unfortunately didn't. It's actually a downsized 900 Bol D'or with a few extra cylinders.

Yes, my close friend just about hates his CBX and would rather ride his heavily tuned GT750. Much faster and better sound too.

Hrm, that's not a horrible starting point, I suppose. I'd really like to see if I can cram one in something even more modern. Maybe one of the kawasakis would have a chubby enough frame to take the wideness of the 6.

I don't really want to tune the poo poo out of one, 100HP is more than enough. I'd be happy with a mid 400 pound bike that made that noise and had enough lean angle for me to go to the track and scratch around and be ok. I will keep the Benelli in mind...are the relative dimensions of the Benelli 750 smaller than the CBX?

What's your e-mail, btw?

I have my eye on a 74 Honda CB200T with 11k miles for $600. The ad says it runs well, and it looks nice in the pictures. Is this a decent bike for a beginner? I really just want to learn on it and (eventually) commute to work.

I have a friend with one (the one in my avy) that has taught half a dozen people how to ride. They're a good starter bike if you're willing to handle the quirks of a vintage bike and have some mechanical experience.

Huge McPunch
Aug 6, 2011

by angerbeet

Z3n posted:

I will keep the Benelli in mind...are the relative dimensions of the Benelli 750 smaller than the CBX?

Yes, a Sei engine will fit in almost any 600/750 frame with a little modification.

Z3n posted:

What's your e-mail, btw?

Well, I guess that's hardly a secret anymore. holst.niels @ the thing that host all our mails dot loving com.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks! Dropped you an e-mail.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

I just bought and fixed up a Honda 1981 CM200T and im using it to commute to work on. Its a fun little bike but a huge change from my R1. If its sat at all plan on cleaning the tank and doing a carb job at the very least. Mine needed a carb job a tank cleaning and a new battery/headlight and it was good to go. My top speed is 70ish.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
How are Honda CX-500's?

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-cx500-honda-W0QQAdIdZ305349591

Edit: Hell, I just found this bike too. A decent looking CB750:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-1982-Honda-CB750c-1900-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ304294346

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 14, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've got one in the garage right now...reliable and functional, only issues are if the water pump fails, or the stator fails...you have to split the cases to fix it. Rear main seal can also fail on them too. I'd buy one as long as the charging system checked out.

That one seems expensive though...I've had 2 of the things, one I got for free, the other I got for nearly free.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I live in a province of straight, flat roads. I love the look of Harley Night Rod Specials and was wondering if anyone had experience with them and could tell me if they are worth it or not

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That lasted longer than I figured it would.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My Spirit Otter posted:

I live in a province of straight, flat roads. I love the look of Harley Night Rod Specials and was wondering if anyone had experience with them and could tell me if they are worth it or not

I'd be lying through my loving teeth if I said I didn't want to ride the hell out of this at least once.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-2008-Harley-Davidson-Night-Rod-Turbo-W0QQAdIdZ302141494

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Yeah those harley night's are sexy. I would ride that like I stole it. I'm totally into matte black paintjobs though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Yeah those harley night's are sexy. I would ride that like I stole it. I'm totally into matte black paintjobs though.
I think it is because of the turbo. Just maybe.

Queers And Fears
Apr 30, 2006
Look out for Ole Miss in 06!
Passed my MSF class yesterday and it is time to get my first bike. I have fallen in love with the SV650's, but the price is a little high on the few ones I can find in the Atlanta area. I live in Athens and found this one on craigslist the other day: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mcy/2545281604.html

Thoughts? Would it be that hard to fix the speedometer? Also the places where it is chipped look pretty deep, but I figure I will most likely drop it and I can get that fixed down the line.

Here is a picture of one of the chipped spots on the tank:

Also more pics of the bike can be found here: http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img0251aj.jpg

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Endless Mike posted:

I think it is because of the turbo. Just maybe.

Those have a turbo? I did not know that! I'm not really into Harley's, but that is pretty freaking sweet.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Those have a turbo? I did not know that! I'm not really into Harley's, but that is pretty freaking sweet.

It's stuck right there on the side. They don't come with them stock, that's a custom job. The listing talks all about it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

AncientTV posted:

It's stuck right there on the side. They don't come with them stock, that's a custom job. The listing talks all about it.

Oh ok, I can't view the listing here at work. I didn't think they came stock with a turbo, but I don't pay much attention to Harley's. That would be a fun ride I bet.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MaC_DaDDy posted:

Passed my MSF class yesterday and it is time to get my first bike. I have fallen in love with the SV650's, but the price is a little high on the few ones I can find in the Atlanta area. I live in Athens and found this one on craigslist the other day: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mcy/2545281604.html

Thoughts? Would it be that hard to fix the speedometer? Also the places where it is chipped look pretty deep, but I figure I will most likely drop it and I can get that fixed down the line.

Here is a picture of one of the chipped spots on the tank:

Also more pics of the bike can be found here: http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img0251aj.jpg

He's modded a few of the reasons the sv650 is recommended for newbies, namely the rear-set pegs and clip ons. It'll give the bike a more aggressive riding position with more weight on your wrists, but it's not a deal breaker. Reading the description, I have an uneasy feeling like something is off with it, but that's probably in my head. Still, as long as the broken speedo isn't connected to the odometer, that's definitely a bike worth looking at for the price, and just to get a ride on for the feel of it. They're usually pretty cheap and not too hard to replace, it's just a sensor connected to the front wheel.

Anyway it seems like a good price if you like the mods on it and is definitely worth a visit. If the odometer is dead too and he's been riding it without for a while, maybe that's where my iffy feeling is coming from. I don't really understand why the seller wouldn't fix it before selling it if that was the case though.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 15, 2011

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Z3n posted:

I have a friend with one (the one in my avy) that has taught half a dozen people how to ride. They're a good starter bike if you're willing to handle the quirks of a vintage bike and have some mechanical experience.

Anyways, I bought the thing today.

I have a 1966 AMC Rambler that I've done some work on, so I'm not afraid of a little parts scarcity or mechanical quirks.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Owner's selling them as a package deal, but I only have space for one. Can't decide between the Hyper Cycle's yoga ergonomics or the Lightning Bike's super aerodynamic seat back and combination exhaust pipe/rearsets.

WSYCA???????

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You're gonna have to go with the HYPER CYCLE, it has hub-center steering.

edit: wait, I can't figure out how the LIGHTNING BIKE would turn. Looks like some company is gonna have to fire their entire R&D department :spergin:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
There are several CX500s for sale around me. I'm fixated by the CX500 now for no reason, it's not necessarily what I'll get. This will be my first bike not including the dirt-bikes I had when I was a kid 15 years ago (starting MSF course Friday.)

My dad (experienced mechanic/rider/etc) and I went and looked at the first one. The guy wouldn't go down to $650-$700. It needed new brake pads and had horrible fairing all over it.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/2512921107.html

http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/2546606906.html
http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/2548257691.html

Anybody have input on the other two? The second one is promising since it specifically mentions the charging system. The last one has dropped $50 in the last day. I might go check it out tonight and hopefully get it lower.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Id probably offer $700 cash to guy #2.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
My Dnepr had a catastrophic final drive failure of some sort, which has moved up the schedule for replacing the loving car tire on the back with a bike wheel. So, I need another bike.

I'm looking at this specifically:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...b58lz?logcode=p

Price is right, it's the style I want and looks good.

Any red flags?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Backov posted:

My Dnepr had a catastrophic final drive failure of some sort, which has moved up the schedule for replacing the loving car tire on the back with a bike wheel. So, I need another bike.

I'm looking at this specifically:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...b58lz?logcode=p

Price is right, it's the style I want and looks good.

Any red flags?

Not aware of any. More or less Kaw's answer to the Gen 2 Nighthawk, and fairly rare. Parts availability might be a concern, as they didn't last as long as the Nighthawk, AFAIK. They had to lose the name after the first or second year because, you know, people who were after a POS Mercury by the same name were accidentally wandering into the Kaw dealership. There's a 750 version as well, and I was just looking at an ad for one here today...

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
My good buddy's step-dad has been fixing up a 1982 Honda CX 500 and mentioned he wanted to sell it soon. Nice to see some other chatter about these things on this page! The guy has been a family friend for quite some time and a true wizard when it comes to all type of engines. His original asking price was $1000 and I know next to nothing about bikes, but I know he wouldn't rip me off...especially when I'll be turning right around and asking him for help if I want work done! ;)

Anyways, I had a couple questions which hopefully fit in with this thread. First, when having my first look at this bike tomorrow, what should I be paying attention to as far as things/areas to check for known issues and/or wear/tear? A coworker mentioned looking at the wiring to see if anyone has been hacking into it over the years, so there's a place to start, along with the tidbits up the page.

I know he's replaced a few things and the bike comes with decent tires on it. There was an oil leak which he was going to fix and I intend to ask the details about that. What other questions would be wise to pass his way, based on this year/make of motorcycle?

qutius fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 17, 2011

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Z3n posted:

Id probably offer $700 cash to guy #2.

Well, I got it for 8. It was really clean, only had 17k, and the guy selling it knew what he was talking about. Time to by a new avatar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

qutius posted:

My good buddy's step-dad has been fixing up a 1982 Honda CX 500 and mentioned he wanted to sell it soon. Nice to see some other chatter about these things on this page! The guy has been a family friend for quite some time and a true wizard when it comes to all type of engines. His original asking price was $1000 and I know next to nothing about bikes, but I know he wouldn't rip me off...especially when I'll be turning right around and asking him for help if I want work done! ;)

Anyways, I had a couple questions which hopefully fit in with this thread. First, when having my first look at this bike tomorrow, what should I be paying attention to as far as things/areas to check for known issues and/or wear/tear? A coworker mentioned looking at the wiring to see if anyone has been hacking into it over the years, so there's a place to start, along with the tidbits up the page.

I know he's replaced a few things and the bike comes with decent tires on it. There was an oil leak which he was going to fix and I intend to ask the details about that. What other questions would be wise to pass his way, based on this year/make of motorcycle?
It could be a good buy. The CX motors are bullet proof. They had a bit of history of charging system issues and their waterpumps like to leak (they are liquid cooled if you didn't know).

Other than that, check the basic stuff and see how often he serviced it or did any basic maintenance. Slow, weak and buzzy, but pretty reliable. You could defintely do worse for a city bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check / change the final drive oil if it hasn't been done.

Mines not too buzzy...then again, coming off a sumo so I'm probably calibrated a little funny.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Z3n posted:

Check / change the final drive oil if it hasn't been done.

Mines not too buzzy...then again, coming off a sumo so I'm probably calibrated a little funny.

To be clear, buzzy only at highway speeds. Perfectly serviceable around town.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

To be clear, buzzy only at highway speeds. Perfectly serviceable around town.

Ahh, ok. I could totally see that....I've only ever really ridden mine around town.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Cool, thanks for the info! This is actually going to be a country road type of bike, but could find itself on the city streets again if I end up moving back in that direction. For now, I will probably find myself learning to ride on some beautiful country roads where I'll have to worry more about a deer running across the road than a car blowing a red light. Doesn't sound bad to me.

I'll be checking it out tomorrow evening as I said, can't wait to see it and maybe give it a little spin around the block!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Marv Hushman posted:

Not aware of any. More or less Kaw's answer to the Gen 2 Nighthawk, and fairly rare. Parts availability might be a concern, as they didn't last as long as the Nighthawk, AFAIK. They had to lose the name after the first or second year because, you know, people who were after a POS Mercury by the same name were accidentally wandering into the Kaw dealership. There's a 750 version as well, and I was just looking at an ad for one here today...

Thanks Marv - going to go give it a test ride this week hopefully, and if it lives up to its promise then I will buy it.

casque
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone know anything about a Honda vtr250?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2546417704.html

Is this too small for me at 6'2 & 200 lbs?

Is this too much for a 21 year old bike that's been raced?

What about this other Honda 250?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcd/2544882217.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Ahh, ok. I could totally see that....I've only ever really ridden mine around town.

A friend of mine is riding around on an old CX500 and it did fine at 70-80 cruising speeds on a 500ish mile road trip we took last weekend. Seems to handle interstate without issues.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clutchpuck posted:

A friend of mine is riding around on an old CX500 and it did fine at 70-80 cruising speeds on a 500ish mile road trip we took last weekend. Seems to handle interstate without issues.

Christ, I had a GL500 which is a hell of a lot more suited to highway driving than a CX and anything over about 60 wasn't enjoyable. Could it do it? Sure. It could probably even do 90, but it wasn't fun.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

slidebite posted:

Christ, I had a GL500 which is a hell of a lot more suited to highway driving than a CX and anything over about 60 wasn't enjoyable. Could it do it? Sure. It could probably even do 90, but it wasn't fun.

Yeah I had a 79 CX500 and the speedo only said 80, never pushed it past 60 though.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
You have/had what is known in some circles as the Joan Claybrook speedometer. During the Carter Administration, NHTSA made moto manufacturers cap the speedo at 80-85, even if the bike was capable of much more (some Kaws at the time actually had speedos that read 160--whether they could hit it is irrelevant). The idea being that it would have psychological impact and cause riders to back off when you hit the "max." When the rule went out the window, it occasionally resulted in some bikes of the same model/year getting two different speedos. Confusing when you try to source a replacement 30 years on.

Her influence may have been overstated at the time, but there were some who thought she was going to regulate the mode right out of existence. More info and hilarious 70s ads here:

http://tinyurl.com/3wt5egq

I had mistakenly thought this was a product of HD-driven import restrictions of the early 80s, but this put a clamp on the claimed displacement and HP, hence the influx of 700cc UJMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Joan Claybrook speedometer.

Thanks for droppin' knowledge on me. I'm sad to say, that I also had a 1980 Toyota Tercel with an 80MPH speedometer. From the factory it's 1.5L put out 60HP at the crank. I had that car for almost a year, never did I once get it to 80MPH, even when trying. It took about a minute to get from 60-70 :(