Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ChuckDHead posted:

Has anyone ever actually paid RRP for this game?

Guilty.

And then I got it on Steam on the last Green Man sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ChuckDHead posted:

I did and I regret nothing. :colbert: (Or what passes for RRP in the UK. :smug:)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ChuckDHead posted:

Bought the X-Box version.

Then the PC version.

Nearly bought the PS3 version as well, just to complete the collection. I've not done this for any other game, on any other console, at any other point in time.

:negative:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ChuckDHead posted:

Preordered :c00l:

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

Also preordered. ~10 playthroughs later, and still no regrets.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Paid full price at launch, no regrets.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

poptart_fairy posted:

Bought the X-Box version.

Then the PC version.

Nearly bought the PS3 version as well, just to complete the collection. I've not done this for any other game, on any other console, at any other point in time.

:negative:

hey there can't be content to buy a game once buddy :hfive:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

30$ right after a 5$ steam sale (only because steam is stupid as gently caress, and won't sell certain games in my area which makes no sense because what the gently caress is the point of online distribution then etc etc etc)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Preordered :c00l:

You got Space Siege too, huh

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I preordered the 360 version (and got the overpowered assault pack as a result) and played through it around 5 times, getting all of the achievements in the process. I then bought the PC version during a Steam sale and have played that one three times.

I would've just bought the PC version at first had I known it had native 360 controller support. Since I play both through the same monitor, it pretty much feels like the exact same game, just slightly smoother/sharper on the PC.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You got Space Siege too, huh

See, this is why I DIDN'T preorder.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hannibal Smith posted:

I preordered the 360 version (and got the overpowered assault pack as a result) and played through it around 5 times, getting all of the achievements in the process. I then bought the PC version during a Steam sale and have played that one three times.

I would've just bought the PC version at first had I known it had native 360 controller support. Since I play both through the same monitor, it pretty much feels like the exact same game, just slightly smoother/sharper on the PC.

I had no idea this game has preorder DLC. What did the pack consist of?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

In Training posted:

I had no idea this game has preorder DLC. What did the pack consist of?
There were two preorder packs: assault, which came with a shotgun and rifle, and stealth, which came with a pistol and (bizarrely) SMG. They were about mid-tier, if I remember right, which made the opening a bit easier (you could sell them for a decent amount too). They also gave you a bunch of free items, including 20 of various types of grenades.

The assault pack was at Gamespot, so it was pretty common, but the stealth pack was through Gamecrazy, which went out of business before the game came out. They switched the bonus to Best Buy at the last minute, but it still ended up being comparatively rare. I actually remember a few eBay auctions on launch day where people were buying the stealth pack codes for $30+.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Purchased it here in Aus for #109 on release day, I think, because some of the mid-range scored games are fantastic fun if you like the premise. This game suited the Syphon Filter type of gamer I am so I was more than content. Other games I've purchased on release despite average reviews were The Saboteur and WET.

I have not regretted any of these purchases at all but I returned a highly acclaimed game - LA Noire - because it didn't engage me at all.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I had such hopes for WET :( just couldnt get past that skydiving level

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Just finished downloading this game and I wasn't sure whether to start on Recruit or not.

Reading through the thread it seems that people can choose whether or not to start on Recruit their first time through but I've also read that you have to unlock Veteran.

Also, are there any other mouse/control fixes that aren't in the OP?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

unpurposed posted:

Just finished downloading this game and I wasn't sure whether to start on Recruit or not.

Reading through the thread it seems that people can choose whether or not to start on Recruit their first time through but I've also read that you have to unlock Veteran.

Recruit is a starting class that basically gives you less AP, which makes the game harder. Completing the game as a Recruit unlocks Veteran, which gives you more AP and a few cool extra choices on some missions. It's not recommended to play as a Recruit on your first time around because of the added difficulty.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Category Fun! posted:

Recruit is a starting class that basically gives you less AP, which makes the game harder. Completing the game as a Recruit unlocks Veteran, which gives you more AP and a few cool extra choices on some missions. It's not recommended to play as a Recruit on your first time around because of the added difficulty.

So then you have the option to take Recruit, but you're not required to, is what I'm understanding.

I've been following through the LP in the subforum and I'd kind of like to play through as Veteran. Is there any way to unlock Veteran without playing through Recruit first?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Recruit is only slightly harder since you get points to spend pretty drat quickly even though you start with none. I did recruit on my first playthrough and it was perfectly manageable.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

unpurposed posted:

Yeah. You need to play recruit before unlocking veteran. Just be mindful that you will have less skill points to play with which could make the experience a lot more frustrating. You should take every recruit dialog option when it comes up as it gives you some bonus skill points. Just stick to a pistol build and you shouldn't have any problems.

The fixes in the op should be sufficient to run smoothly but if you have a controller lying around you should consider using it due to the way some of the hacking games work and it resolves any camera issues you may get.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

unpurposed posted:

So then you have the option to take Recruit, but you're not required to, is what I'm understanding.

I've been following through the LP in the subforum and I'd kind of like to play through as Veteran. Is there any way to unlock Veteran without playing through Recruit first?

Recruit is just another class, except instead of having AP already allocated in certain ways it starts you with no AP (Although you make some of it back by taking recruit dialogue options in the Graybox).

I think you can unlock Veteran straight away with some registry editing, but I don't know the details. I'm sure someone posted it in this thread or the last...

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Category Fun! posted:

I think you can unlock Veteran straight away with some registry editing, but I don't know the details. I'm sure someone posted it in this thread or the last...

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread but I don't know if it will work for anyone else

Hank Morgan posted:

I just finished a recruit play through of the game to unlock veteran mode on a fresh install and I think I figured out which file unlocks it. In your [Documents]/Alpha Protocol/Profile folder there should be a file called ProfileOptions.dat. By comparing the file before and after finishing the game there is a single byte change in the file. In my version it is address 000000400 and it's value changes from 00 to 03 as highlighted below.

I've also uploaded my version of the file if anyone wants to take it and use it to try and possibly unlock veteran straight away. Although I'd still recommend you do it the proper way by beating recruit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtendwt3h5hodyh

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Category Fun! posted:

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, especially since you get 9 AP through the training level if you pick the Recruit dialogue option whenever it comes up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bouchacha posted:

Category Fun! posted:

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, especially since you get 9 AP through the training level if you pick the Recruit dialogue option whenever it comes up.

I played Recruit my first time through and the bonus AP for always picking 'Recruit' options in the tutorial more than made up for it. Also, playing a recruit gives you some humorous dialog and flavor text all the way through the game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got the game from GMG for like, what was it? 2.50? 5 bucks? It was something stupidly cheap.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vindicated! (about some confusion from the old thread)

Avellone :allears: posted:

One aspect that we did want to include for AP2 was a system proposed by our Systems Designer, Matt MacLean - I've heard it called "honeycomb" mission structure, but that makes me think of cereal, so I'll just describe it instead (note that I'm quoting my answer in Vince Weller's Iron Tower interview below):

Honeycomb Mission Structure: It applies to a mission design where the player is given an overarching objective (to put it in Fallout New Vegas terms: "force the New California Republic to sign the treaty with the Jacobstown super mutants") and then given about 5-6 "satellite quests" orbiting the main quest, all of which can affect the set-up or success of the central mission. The player can choose which of those 5-6 missions he wants to undertake, and they all react to each other and cause a reaction in the central objective as well.

We did this to an extent in AP (optional missions, missions affecting other missions for each hub), but a lot more we could have done with this system, and all other things being equal, it's my goal that it be a focus for at least one of our titles in the future, as it's a really interesting idea.

The disadvantage is it can get extremely complex if done improperly (special casing events), the advantage is that it's a better means of giving the player reactivity without a linear quest progression... and more importantly, it gives the player choices in how they want to complete the objective. They wouldn't need to do all 5-6 missions at all, and they could accomplish these satellite missions in any order they wanted. A speech character may simply target 3 missions that cater to diplomacy (say, sowing gossip or convincing soldiers or officers that the main capital is going to be attacked), and suddenly the garrison gets a high-level order to move its troops to the capital to defend the monarch.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Aw :3:

Chris Avellone posted:

There are things I think we did do well in Alpha Protocol, and I'm proud of them. There's a lot of branching, there's a lot of consequences to your choices, you can outwit the bad guy just by being clever and doing your homework, you can persuade almost all your adversaries that you'd make a better boss, the fact we didn't use speech or dialogue skills in conversations as an "insta-win" button, the character had no moral barometer, but everyone's perception of him was different was good, and I liked the fact that having negative reputation gave bonuses, so if you felt like being a jackass, the game recognized you were in a role-playing game and playing a role and didn't cut you off from content to punish you, it gave you different content and abilities. I like that I could pick and choose the personality of the weapons, Matt MacLean wrote great emails, and I did like the fact that there was a pacifistic path... and having the voice actor who did Winnie the Pooh be one of our major adversaries was a nice, bizarre little touch.

Glad he recognizes all the things we loving love about this game.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
Look what I saw at GDC Europe:

I may have cropped the picture so that the title of the slide is not readable so the context is different :ssh:

Zagrod fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what is the context?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

I'm guessing it's either something to do with weapon skills affecting gameplay or underage girls.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cover shooters maybe?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Category Fun! posted:

I'm guessing it's either something to do with weapon skills affecting gameplay or underage girls.

Clearly it must be 'weapon skills affecting underage girls'

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's probably "Aiming reticule larger than your target that's ten meters away".

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I always love Chris Avellone interviews :allears: I so rarely see video game interviews that aren't full of PR buzzwords, meaningless jargon, and hype hype hype. You can really tell he loves his medium. Everyone should definitely check out part 1 of the interview if they haven't already.

Is there anyone who can enlighten me on the story of Torment-era Avellone? I thought this quote was interesting:

Chris Avellone posted:

I also go to the gym off and on, mostly because I'm an endorphin addict, and after nearly running myself into the ground physically on Torment, I realized I needed to take better care of myself, if only so I could stay alive longer to write and design more games.
I know how much exhaustive creative work he put into it after reading the Torment Bible and everything, but drat.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

My Xbox hard drive died and with it my recruit run :( No Veteran for me!

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I guess it was just mostly due to the Torment team being fairly small (afaik) and Avellone writing the majority of the game plus heading up the design. I mean, there's a shitload of text in that game, and just mapping out the themes of it all and making the craziness of Planescape work in terms of the design of the game was probably pretty drat challenging.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The context of the slide is a character that is apparently standing out in the open with their head to the side while someone shoots them in the gut. So what noone enjoys is unresponsive npcs.

Sorry to hear that Chasiu, hope your hard drive gets replaced soon.

aMoose
Nov 26, 2005
He who fucks nuns will later join the church.

evilmiera posted:

The context of the slide is a character that is apparently standing out in the open with their head to the side while someone shoots them in the gut. So what noone enjoys is unresponsive npcs.

I thought it was just referring to the boss fights generally.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
So guys, I think I might have to restart the final mission. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm a shotgun/stealth/sabotage (the former two are maxed) Mike and I'm in the endgame, fighting "the gadget" boss. Yeah, Darcy. Except I can't do poo poo to him. Chucking grenades in his perch? Doesn't do damage. Killing adds? More come with every death. I can't use a weapon that will hit him for poo poo, and I'm out of EMPs to burst his door open at the bottom. Do I have to restart?

vvvv That's odd, for me, the door straight to his tower just doesn't even have any prompts. I'll try giving it another shot tonight and chalk it up to a bug if it works. vvvv

f#a# fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

f#a# posted:

So guys, I think I might have to restart the final mission. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm a shotgun/stealth/sabotage (the former two are maxed) Mike and I'm in the endgame, fighting "the gadget" boss. Yeah, Darcy. Except I can't do poo poo to him. Chucking grenades in his perch? Doesn't do damage. Killing adds? More come with every death. I can't use a weapon that will hit him for poo poo, and I'm out of EMPs to burst his door open at the bottom. Do I have to restart?

I was able to lockpick/hack that door and get through.

• Locked thread