Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

kronix posted:

Either way, any warranty on the supercharger is pretty good, you certainly won't get an engine warranty anywhere else but I have to imagine that it's going to cost a lot of money to have the dealer install the supercharger.

The Stillen supercharger for the 350z comes with a 3 year / 36k mile engine warranty, but that does seem to be a rarity.

*edit* Doesn't need to be dealer installed either, from what I understand. I haven't really looked into it though.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
So this may have been asked or something similar to it asked before, but I'm thinking about getting a GT Premium. 2011 or 2012, depending. They didn't really do anything different for the 2012s, right?

It would be replacing my '06 S2000. I love, love, LOVE that car except for a few things:
1) the engine hasn't the torque to be a comfortable around-town driver, especially in the summer with the AC on.
2) Engine is annoyingly loud at highway speed. Ditto with road/wind noise.
3) No cargo space. Not a huge problem but I'm getting closer to child-bearing age so having a back seat and a little more trunk space would be nice.
4) Soft tops are a pain in the rear end. In mid-spring and mid-fall they are the cat's rear end, because there is nothing like high-60s / low 70s top-down cruising, but at all other times they suck.
5) Low ground clearance. Roads and driveways around here suck and I bottom out all the goddamn time.

My chief worry about buying a Mustang is that I'm going to lose too much of what I love in my S2000:
1) Handling. God it handles so good.
2) Brake feel. Hard, predictable pedal. Excellent Stopping Powah.
3) Practically bespoke interior. I'm 6'2" 180lb and it feels like I'm wearing my car every time I get in. It's perfect. Sat in a California Special yesterday and it felt like I was sitting in my work truck.

MY GIRLFRIEND (probably fiance sooner or later..) drives a Forester and my work lets me drive a Trailblazer, so practicality isn't a huge deal.

So is would it be not only a better choice but a significantly better car for my needs? I would like to be able to go on weekend trips and maybe carry skis or wakeboards (Mustang will with the seats folded down; I checked) and whatever.

But it's also going to be ~$24k more than just paying off my S2k.

I dunno.

What says AI?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

What says AI?

Your wants/needs are all pretty subjective, so you're going to need to test drive one and decide for yourself.

Edit: Found the link that shows the differences between the 2011 and 2012.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 7, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Anything is going to practical compared to the S200. As for feeling like a truck, the Mustang is a bigger car than any roadster and there isn't much to stop it from feeling like one. Another part of it is because the visibility isn't great so at least for me it always feels like it's close to hitting something.

That said, cruising on the highway is a dream. I even have the cat-back from the GT500 on my car and highway cruising is very very pleasant. The car is very fast and has a great torque curve.

The bad:
-getting a child seat in the back of that Mustang won't be fun, I took my nephew once in mine and I wouldn't want to do it every day.

-The cargo space isn't bad but the shape of the trunk lip makes it awkward to get some stuff in sometimes, it's going to be a lot better than your S2000 though. I haven't had a problem yet.

I'm in a similar life position as you right now, the car isn't a commuter and my fiance has her own car that we use as a more practical alternative when we need it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
This weekend I am going to get my MM Adj Lower Control Arms installed. I am also going to be installing the Panhard Bar If its not going to be too expensive to modify my exhaust pipes.

So with those parts installed, along with my current Full Length Sub Frames, Bilsteins in the front & rear, springs, Cobra brakes, wheels, tires, and C/C plates Im not sure where I want to go next with suspension. I am pretty sure doing anything else suspension wise would be overkill for a weekend warrior/street car. Where should I go from here?

Should I be happy with the suspension where it is now and work on other parts of the car? I already did plenum, T/B, gears, and exhaust. Im thinking if I don't do another suspension mod, I may look into doing aftermarket seats that hug you when you are driving in the corners.

I cant afford a supercharger or heads & cams yet, so I am looking for other mods a average mechanical person can do with a few hours of time and a couple hundred bucks to spend.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

This weekend I am going to get my MM Adj Lower Control Arms installed. I am also going to be installing the Panhard Bar If its not going to be too expensive to modify my exhaust pipes.

So with those parts installed, along with my current Full Length Sub Frames, Bilsteins in the front & rear, springs, Cobra brakes, wheels, tires, and C/C plates Im not sure where I want to go next with suspension. I am pretty sure doing anything else suspension wise would be overkill for a weekend warrior/street car. Where should I go from here?

Should I be happy with the suspension where it is now and work on other parts of the car? I already did plenum, T/B, gears, and exhaust. Im thinking if I don't do another suspension mod, I may look into doing aftermarket seats that hug you when you are driving in the corners.

I cant afford a supercharger or heads & cams yet, so I am looking for other mods a average mechanical person can do with a few hours of time and a couple hundred bucks to spend.

You do have a dyno tune, right? If not, go do that next for sure.
You've pretty much hit the limit of what you can do before going forced induction or building the engine. I guess you could address your fuel system in preparation for FI.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Finally found a place to install my 4.10 gears for a 99 GT... now i need a bearing/washer kit seeing as my car has 76k miles.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/YK-F88/1986-08-Mustang-Master-Bearing-Kit-88

Do i really need royal purple gear oil? I think i might just go with whatever the shop usually uses.

gently caress LMR shipping
http://www.cjponyparts.com/8+8%22-ring-and-pinion-mounting-kit-1986-2010/p/RPM2K/

or motive?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild.html

frpp
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...it-8604-2002-GT

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ring-gear-carrier-gasket-8+8/p/RDS55341/

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 13, 2011

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
No, you don't need royal purple gear oil. But do make sure they use the right weight. Ford calls for 75w-140 synthetic in their recent rears, which is heavier than what most rear ends use.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

3) No cargo space. Not a huge problem but I'm getting closer to child-bearing age so having a back seat and a little more trunk space would be nice.

Put the top down and get lots of string, the sky is the limit as far as your cargo space goes :smugbert:

I have an S2000 right now and since I've been lurking in this thread you can probably guess I've been lusting for the new mustang just like you. Shitloads more power with roughly the same gas mileage, what's not to love?

The majority of ex-S2000 owners I meet always regret getting rid of it. A mustang simply isn't a "no compromise" car like the S2000, and it hurts when that gets taken away from you.

Consider getting a hard top to help with road noise, and possibly a supercharger to help with power.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I'm in the market for a 2012 GT. I have a few questions.

1. How much over an Edmunds invoice price are people paying?

2. Will the 3.73 rear do 60 in 2nd gear?

3. Can I sync my phone and play music over buletooth? The dealer said you can only play over USB... But that's the dealer.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

BDawg posted:

I'm in the market for a 2012 GT. I have a few questions.

1. How much over an Edmunds invoice price are people paying?

2. Will the 3.73 rear do 60 in 2nd gear?

3. Can I sync my phone and play music over buletooth? The dealer said you can only play over USB... But that's the dealer.

1) I paid 500 over invoice on my 2011, I think if you're good at haggling you can do better, mine was a custom order. Something on the lot heading towards the end of summer will probably have some more wiggle room.

2) says here the 3.73 will hit 62 with 19 inch wheels, check out this link http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/257466-gear-ratios-mph.html

I have the 3.55 rear and love it.

3) Yeah I do it all the time, through USB it'll only play music that's on your ipods/iphone's flash. If I want to do Pandora I have to do it over bluetooth. I can and do answer my phone while streaming music over bluetooth from my iphone.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Well, I'm smitten.

I'd recently decided to upgrade my 2004 Honda Accord EX to something with muscle, so today the wife and I test drove all manner of cars, and the clear winner was the 2012 Mustang GT!

I drove the following: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T, 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS, and just for shits because they had it used, a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8. I also sat in a 2012 Nissan 370Z but the salesman was uninterested in even talking to me, much less letting me drive it, but it didn't matter because at 6'2" 220lbs, I felt cramped anyway and didn't much like the feel of everything. The clear loser of the bunch was the Camaro, which not only drove the worst of the bunch but also I could see out of (my wife, who gets car sick easily and therefor must sit in the front seat, got car sick because she couldn't see over the dash).

The Charger just felt too big and bulky, and it being 4-doors didn't score it any bonus points. The Challenger SRT8 was a screaming hell-ride, just punching on it produced one of the best feelings I've ever had driving, but it just wasn't that practical. Would be a great 2nd car to mess around in.

That brought me to the Mustang. I drove a 2012 GT Premium, and instantly fell in love. Beautiful exhaust note, easy control, and it felt like it was as solid as a loving tank. The dealers are searching for one that matches the specs I want, so hopefully I'll be behind the wheel before long. I can't wait!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Yeah, I test drove a 2011 Camaro and as much as I love how it looks on the outside they really aren't kidding when they say how little you can see out of it.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They're really some of the worst cars to work with as a valet. Honestly, I feel safer parking a panel van.

Mustangs on the other hand are always a joy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lt. Jebus posted:

Yeah, I test drove a 2011 Camaro and as much as I love how it looks on the outside they really aren't kidding when they say how little you can see out of it.

It's really quite frightening. Even a merge or a lane change feels like a daring manoever, as you can't see a loving thing. I was scared of parking it after the test-drive I took because I had almost no idea where the hood ended. Like you, I liked how it looked, but it was just a terrible car to drive in pretty much every way. Maybe the V8 or higher trims are a whole lot better, but as it stands, I can't help but feel a little insulted when people say it's even close to the Mustang in terms of driving experience.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
In a few days I will be getting my car back from the shop with these parts installed!

The guy that is installing the panhard for me said that installing the Maximum Motorsports parts just work. He never had a problem with them. He said that everything else about the car you will have to fight with, just not MM parts. Maybe I will bite the bullet and get a Torque Arm and K-member..... ugg I hate having the mod bug :(

kalvick fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 14, 2011

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Opinions, please: If I went for the easier to get but less powerful V6 Mustang, would I end up regretting it? I plan on going to drive both, but wanted to see what others thought of the differences in the two.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Diseased Yak posted:

Opinions, please: If I went for the easier to get but less powerful V6 Mustang, would I end up regretting it? I plan on going to drive both, but wanted to see what others thought of the differences in the two.

If you dont plan to do any modifications, then get a v6.
If you plan to get rid of it after x number of years get a v6.
If you want to tinker and upgrade get the GT.
If you get a v6, and ask "what do i do for more power", prepare to be mocked on the stang forums.
if you dont know anything about cars, nor do you care to learn about their internals, and your friends dont know anything about cars get a v6
if your getting it to just impress chicks, just get the v6
with the exception of the GT badge on the fenders the current v6 model and GT are practically identical.

then there is the practical matters....
1) can you afford the gas?
2) can you afford the insurance?
3) can you afford the monthly payments?
if you can say yes to the above get the GT

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

kalvick posted:

If you dont plan to do any modifications, then get a v6.
If you plan to get rid of it after x number of years get a v6.
If you want to tinker and upgrade get the GT.
If you get a v6, and ask "what do i do for more power", prepare to be mocked on the stang forums.
if you dont know anything about cars, nor do you care to learn about their internals, and your friends dont know anything about cars get a v6
if your getting it to just impress chicks, just get the v6
with the exception of the GT badge on the fenders the current v6 model and GT are practically identical.

then there is the practical matters....
1) can you afford the gas?
2) can you afford the insurance?
3) can you afford the monthly payments?
if you can say yes to the above get the GT

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I plan to upgrade the gently caress outta it (dad's a mechanic), I can afford whatever, so basically GT for me.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Diseased Yak posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I plan to upgrade the gently caress outta it (dad's a mechanic), I can afford whatever, so basically GT for me.

Welcome to the club. Get all the good go fast goodies, and stay away from bizarro aftermarket bling and you will have good people helping you out.
take pics once you get it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Diseased Yak posted:

And to expand on that, if you really want to "upgrade the gently caress outta it", get the base model GT and modify it to your liking. With the difference in price between a base GT and the premium you can have an upholstery shop make the interior look exactly like you want it with high quality leather and seats which actually hold you (or just get the Boss/SVT/FRPP seats as they rock) and still have enough to upgrade the stereo to something better than anything any manufacturer uses.
If your idea of modding is just "do an exhaust and maybe a CAI and canned tune", get the premium trim from the start and be happy.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

PT6A posted:

It's really quite frightening. Even a merge or a lane change feels like a daring manoever, as you can't see a loving thing. I was scared of parking it after the test-drive I took because I had almost no idea where the hood ended. Like you, I liked how it looked, but it was just a terrible car to drive in pretty much every way. Maybe the V8 or higher trims are a whole lot better, but as it stands, I can't help but feel a little insulted when people say it's even close to the Mustang in terms of driving experience.

Its really too bad because I find myself lusting after the new ZL1 Camaro that's supposed to be out next spring, despite the fact that [based on current Camaro SS vs Mustang GT] it's quite flawed compared to its GT500 counterpart. There's just something about its looks that I really love.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

whiskas posted:

Put the top down and get lots of string, the sky is the limit as far as your cargo space goes :smugbert:

I have an S2000 right now and since I've been lurking in this thread you can probably guess I've been lusting for the new mustang just like you. Shitloads more power with roughly the same gas mileage, what's not to love?

The majority of ex-S2000 owners I meet always regret getting rid of it. A mustang simply isn't a "no compromise" car like the S2000, and it hurts when that gets taken away from you.

Consider getting a hard top to help with road noise, and possibly a supercharger to help with power.

Take a test drive of the 5.0, if you really love the S2000 you might not like the 5.0. Driving my friends after driving my AP1 is very weird, the car feels very large and very heavy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lt. Jebus posted:

Its really too bad because I find myself lusting after the new ZL1 Camaro that's supposed to be out next spring, despite the fact that [based on current Camaro SS vs Mustang GT] it's quite flawed compared to its GT500 counterpart. There's just something about its looks that I really love.

Clearly you must somehow put a Camaro shell onto a Mustang driving chassis. It'll be like a bizarro version of the 80s and before when conventional knowledge held that Fords were best with Chevy engines.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Checked an '86 SVO. Body was in nice shape, only minor rust, really faded headlights. The owner had put in a front mount and fixing the timing issues the car had. The intake was ported. It was also missing an exhaust, which still wasn't too loud thanks to the turbo. The car looked in good shape, but my one huge reservation was how much the owner drove it like a hooligan streetracer. Doing a full throttle run up to 80 entering a highway, then passing on the right on an exit lane and then jamming on the brakes not to run into the car in front. To illustrate, some woman pulled up to us at the exit we took and warned us that the motor would blow from driving like that. That's how much attention he got. So all that hooning weighed against his seeming real competence with the SVO. He claims to have owned 4.

I haven't seen one this nice come up in ages. The price is a little high compared to what I'd expect, given the exhaust issue. I really want one :(

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A little dab of plastic polish (I presume those lenses are plastic) should have those lights looking new in minutes.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Checked an '86 SVO. Body was in nice shape, only minor rust, really faded headlights. The owner had put in a front mount and fixing the timing issues the car had. The intake was ported. It was also missing an exhaust, which still wasn't too loud thanks to the turbo. The car looked in good shape, but my one huge reservation was how much the owner drove it like a hooligan streetracer. Doing a full throttle run up to 80 entering a highway, then passing on the right on an exit lane and then jamming on the brakes not to run into the car in front. To illustrate, some woman pulled up to us at the exit we took and warned us that the motor would blow from driving like that. That's how much attention he got. So all that hooning weighed against his seeming real competence with the SVO. He claims to have owned 4.

I haven't seen one this nice come up in ages. The price is a little high compared to what I'd expect, given the exhaust issue. I really want one :(

I would expect on a 25 year old car the motor going to be something that needs to be overhauled sometime sooner rather than later anyways. Personally, I'd rather find something with a hosed/abused motor than a hosed/rusty body because I'd feel a lot better about rebuilding a motor than I would doing any body work at all.

Edit: I actually found the listing because I probably live in the same area and was curious what a car like this went for. I would totally go for it if I were you. Even if it was beat on the miles are low enough where I wouldn't worry about it a lot yet outside of a new clutch. If you can get the guy to move on the price a little it seems fair.

kronix fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 15, 2011

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, but driving like a dickhead can mean there's more poo poo being abused than just the engine. I wonder if there's damage the seller isn't disclosing.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

CombatWombat posted:

Yeah, but driving like a dickhead can mean there's more poo poo being abused than just the engine. I wonder if there's damage the seller isn't disclosing.

I don't want to disclose too much because I don't want kimbo to lose the car if he wants it but I'll say the car has about 5 years of normal mileage on it. If the car is still running, has a straight frame it's probably in better shape than most cars from that era.

At least there won't be any carbon buildup...

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Hertz made the mistake of upgrading me to a 2011 GT... I want one now, of course with a few more hunnert hoawsepowah. Even stock, the car is just fun to drive. Is there anywhere in Dallas I can go on a weekday after 5 and rip on this thing?

Edit: Interior is kind of poo poo though. I hate all the glowy poo poo and steering wheel feels like it's made of legos.

Also, did they ever fix the manual tranny problems?

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 16, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CombatWombat posted:

The Mustang is pretty rugged, so despite some of his pop shifts and ragging on it, I thought it was still in pretty good shape. The price, $3800, is ok, but there's others in the area that are that low, too. I'd probably need $500 to get enough exhaust on it to pass inspection. Honestly, that's a big hangup for me. I don't mind a car that needs work, but I like to do it on my own time, instead of being beholden to the RMV and safety failures.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RapeWhistle posted:

Hertz made the mistake of upgrading me to a 2011 GT... I want one now, of course with a few more hunnert hoawsepowah. Even stock, the car is just fun to drive. Is there anywhere in Dallas I can go on a weekday after 5 and rip on this thing?

Edit: Interior is kind of poo poo though. I hate all the glowy poo poo and steering wheel feels like it's made of legos.

Also, did they ever fix the manual tranny problems?
It's pretty questionable whether there was ever really a problem with the transmission given that the only people who seemed to run into the problem were people on Mustang forums who tend to drive their cars very hard and shift very hard. Even if that wasn't the cause, the overall number of people who have shifting problems which exceed some rough shifting (which has existed on the Mustang pretty much since 1964) at startup/cold weather was an exceedingly small percentage.

I did see at least one person tear the MT82 apart who basically said it was of similar build quality as other similar transmission types, i.e. the Tremecs.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There was also that one guy who "fixed" his issues by reinforcing/adjusting the shifter mechanism and linkage, which would indicate that there was never anything wrong with the actual spinning whirrly bits of the trans anyway, but a problem with the alignment or fitment of the shift linkage.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

It's pretty questionable whether there was ever really a problem with the transmission given that the only people who seemed to run into the problem were people on Mustang forums who tend to drive their cars very hard and shift very hard. Even if that wasn't the cause, the overall number of people who have shifting problems which exceed some rough shifting (which has existed on the Mustang pretty much since 1964) at startup/cold weather was an exceedingly small percentage.

I did see at least one person tear the MT82 apart who basically said it was of similar build quality as other similar transmission types, i.e. the Tremecs.

There was also the whole "post the problem on every message board making it seem like a bigger issue than it was" thing going on. Same thing that's currently happening with the #8 bullshit.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I've got an MT82 (2012 V6), and I've only experience that sometimes it takes a little extra effort to get in to 1st gear at a stop. Other than that, nothing strange so far (got 2,800 miles on it so far).

I'm waiting to see if it acts any funnier when it gets cold this winter-- I'll be in the D.C. area by then, and I've had it in 90-110deg weather the whole time so far down here in Louisiana.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

VideoTapir posted:

A little dab of plastic polish (I presume those lenses are plastic) should have those lights looking new in minutes.

Link? I dont think hand polishing does poo poo to 25 years of grime

3m light cleaner uses abrasive sanding discs to take off a layer of the lens... thats what he would need

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

The Mustang is pretty rugged, so despite some of his pop shifts and ragging on it, I thought it was still in pretty good shape. The price, $3800, is ok, but there's others in the area that are that low, too. I'd probably need $500 to get enough exhaust on it to pass inspection. Honestly, that's a big hangup for me. I don't mind a car that needs work, but I like to do it on my own time, instead of being beholden to the RMV and safety failures.

Is it going straight onto the street? There's definitely shops in the area that I know that will let you slide on minor safety problems.

Don't listen to me though I've wanted an SVO forever but I don't have the time/money/space/girlfriend support to start a project yet. Maybe in a few years.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

3m light cleaner uses abrasive sanding discs to take off a layer of the lens... thats what he would need

Plastic polish has a fine grit to it like glaze or rubbing compound. It can work, but you're better off wet sanding first.

Really though, it's not like you're going to break the bank if you just buy new.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

thetechnoloser posted:

I've got an MT82 (2012 V6), and I've only experience that sometimes it takes a little extra effort to get in to 1st gear at a stop. Other than that, nothing strange so far (got 2,800 miles on it so far).

I'm waiting to see if it acts any funnier when it gets cold this winter-- I'll be in the D.C. area by then, and I've had it in 90-110deg weather the whole time so far down here in Louisiana.

It'll be fine in DC as your entire commute will be in 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Worked like magic on about 12 years of oxidation and crap on my dad's T-bird, and 16 years or so on my Accord. But like I sad, this is only if they're plastic. (Can glass headlights even discolor and or cloud?)

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G12310-PlastX-Plastic-Cleaner/dp/B0000AY3SR

A cotton rag and some of this. Works for polishing CDs, too.