Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
There's a job opportunity in my area for a few Accounting Assistant positions, and I'd like to ask for a bit of advice. I have poo poo all on my resume under job experience that's related to accounting; however, I have done some coursework that I will attempt to pitch should I pursue this. The courses are Financial Accounting I, Managerial Accounting I, Finance Management, Statistical Analysis for Business, and International Trade & Finance. I myself am a Marketing major, and am just curious how previous experience and or coursework would weigh in for a position like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I need some advice. I am already taking classes and on the path to enroll next fall for a second bachelors degree in accounting. However, every single person at the university I want to attend (Temple) treats me like I'm telling them the world is flat when I say I don't want to do their masters program, I want to do undergrad. My question is, why?

They have a new MAcc program that they are trying to push me into hardcore. Basically, all you need are the undergrad accounting courses (nothing else) and the program gives you the 150 credits needed for the CPA and even has you take two of the exams during the program.

However this seems incredibly insane and short sighted. First, given the CPA thread, it seems entirely ridiculous and impossible that I am going to go from zero accounting classes to two CPA exams done in like a year and a half. It also seems crazy because I would essentially be skipping all of the business undergrad courses - courses I might actually use, like econ, finance, law and etc.

I'd much rather just do the undergrad, because I'll end up more well rounded and it won't really take any longer than the masters (because I am returning to my first degree school). Any opinions on masters vs bachelors? Accounting doesn't really seem like a field where you need a masters to get a job.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just curious (I work in another field) but what's the salary trajectory like over a career - assuming you start out with a Big 4 and lateral somewhere else?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

abagofcheetos posted:

I need some advice. I am already taking classes and on the path to enroll next fall for a second bachelors degree in accounting. However, every single person at the university I want to attend (Temple) treats me like I'm telling them the world is flat when I say I don't want to do their masters program, I want to do undergrad. My question is, why?

They have a new MAcc program that they are trying to push me into hardcore. Basically, all you need are the undergrad accounting courses (nothing else) and the program gives you the 150 credits needed for the CPA and even has you take two of the exams during the program.

However this seems incredibly insane and short sighted. First, given the CPA thread, it seems entirely ridiculous and impossible that I am going to go from zero accounting classes to two CPA exams done in like a year and a half. It also seems crazy because I would essentially be skipping all of the business undergrad courses - courses I might actually use, like econ, finance, law and etc.

I'd much rather just do the undergrad, because I'll end up more well rounded and it won't really take any longer than the masters (because I am returning to my first degree school). Any opinions on masters vs bachelors? Accounting doesn't really seem like a field where you need a masters to get a job.

You've got the right idea; as long as you meet the various requirements to sit for the CPA exam, there really isn't a huge benefit to getting a masters instead of a bachelors.

If you are more interested in an undergrad degree so you can get exposure to other business areas, go for it. Just make sure to check out the CPA exam requirements for your state to make sure you have the required accounting/other business class hours.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Yeah, from what I've heard from various professionals, the only situation in which it would behoove you to get a Masters is if you want to go into doing tax. Otherwise, your CPA license is MUCH more valuable and important than a Masters.

Also, that above program seems fishy. You already need 24 semester units of business classes to qualify to take the CPA exams. I don't see how skipping all of them would still qualify you to sit for the exams.

Edit: For California, anyway. Though other states are likely to be similar.

Walk Away fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 6, 2011

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, that masters program seems kind of useless, since the education requirements for PA are

quote:

at least 150 credit hours, with 36 semester-credits in accounting subjects. These subjects include accounting and auditing, business law, finance, and tax subjects acceptable to the Pennsylvania State Board of Accountancy (SBOA).
which completing the accounting degree will pretty much give me. At most even if I'm 6 or 9 credits short or whatever, I need a year of experience anyway, so I would have time to take classes at night. PA only requires 24 to sit, so I could even just complete the test portion and complete classes later to gain the certification.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Just curious (I work in another field) but what's the salary trajectory like over a career - assuming you start out with a Big 4 and lateral somewhere else?

The answer to this question will vary by city, by firm and by group, but I work for a Big 4 in Boston and in my group, currently the general trajectory is as follows:

Associate/Experienced Associate (1-3 years): 52k-57k
Senior Associate: 65k-83k
Manager: 89k-120k plus 10k-20k bonus
Sr. Manager: 135k-165k plus 20k-40k bonus
Managing Director: 220k plus 50k-ish bonus
Partner: 600k base, more if you have any sort of leadership role, plus random other comp

Recently in my group there were people complaining about the transparency of pay, so the partner group decided to break it down like I did above, that is the only reason I know.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

hellboundburrito posted:

The answer to this question will vary by city, by firm and by group, but I work for a Big 4 in Boston and in my group, currently the general trajectory is as follows:

Partner: 600k base, more if you have any sort of leadership role, plus random other comp

Recently in my group there were people complaining about the transparency of pay, so the partner group decided to break it down like I did above, that is the only reason I know.

Interesting... and what are the time frames for promotions to the various titles?

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Interesting... and what are the time frames for promotions to the various titles?

You will be an Associate your first year and Experienced Associate your second/third. If you're good, you might make Senior after two years, but the norm is three. Then you do three or four as a Senior and make manager, two to four years to make Sr. Manager. After that it is a waiting game to partner.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

hellboundburrito posted:

I live north of Boston, could you advise me how to get to about where you are from where I am now?

I'm a little over halfway through a bachelors in accounting, no relevant experience yet, but I will bust my rear end to get an internship next summer, then graduate in the fall. Other than that, is there much more I can do? I don't go to a particularly prestigious school, Salem State.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

I live north of Boston, could you advise me how to get to about where you are from where I am now?

I'm a little over halfway through a bachelors in accounting, no relevant experience yet, but I will bust my rear end to get an internship next summer, then graduate in the fall. Other than that, is there much more I can do? I don't go to a particularly prestigious school, Salem State.

I had an internship lined up for the summer going into senior year back when I was a sophomore so my path was pretty much set early on, but you should talk to your school's career center and see if any Big 4 (or other firms if you're interested) recruit there. I'm not sure if we do, but there was someone from your school in my group for a while. If they don't actively recruit there, you can still go to any of their websites and set up an account and apply, get more info, etc.

The number one thing is to get an internship because they almost always result in a full time job offer. You should also be prepared to answer questions about how you plan on getting 150 credits (most big firms only let you start full time once you've obtained the 150) and getting credentialed.

I started working in the fall after graduating college and started taking the CPA exam as soon as I started working, though I would recommend getting the ball rolling on that as soon as you're eligible to sit. Once you're working, the rest will work itself out in terms of promotions and all that - I just got promoted to Senior after working for 2 years and currently have no plans to leave. Hope that helps.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.
I'm looking into switching going back for my Masters in Accounting and trying to get a job at a local accounting firm. I did my undergrad in economics and took a couple of basic accounting courses for my minor. How far into my masters would I need to be before I'd get hired by a firm? I'm currently working full-time in an unrelated field and looking to go to a part-time program.

Edit: To clarify, I will be trying to get my CPA, but I need to a lot more accounting courses to satisfy the requirements here.

St1cky fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 8, 2011

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

St1cky posted:

I'm looking into switching going back for my Masters in Accounting and trying to get a job at a local accounting firm. I did my undergrad in economics and took a couple of basic accounting courses for my minor. How far into my masters would I need to be before I'd get hired by a firm? I'm currently working full-time in an unrelated field and looking to go to a part-time program.

Edit: To clarify, I will be trying to get my CPA, but I need to a lot more accounting courses to satisfy the requirements here.

It's been a while, but I remember firms/companies saying Intermediate II and Auditing is what they were mainly looking for. So not that far in to be honest.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

hellboundburrito posted:

I had an internship lined up for the summer going into senior year back when I was a sophomore so my path was pretty much set early on, but you should talk to your school's career center and see if any Big 4 (or other firms if you're interested) recruit there. I'm not sure if we do, but there was someone from your school in my group for a while. If they don't actively recruit there, you can still go to any of their websites and set up an account and apply, get more info, etc.

The number one thing is to get an internship because they almost always result in a full time job offer. You should also be prepared to answer questions about how you plan on getting 150 credits (most big firms only let you start full time once you've obtained the 150) and getting credentialed.

I started working in the fall after graduating college and started taking the CPA exam as soon as I started working, though I would recommend getting the ball rolling on that as soon as you're eligible to sit. Once you're working, the rest will work itself out in terms of promotions and all that - I just got promoted to Senior after working for 2 years and currently have no plans to leave. Hope that helps.

Actually, I have a follow up question. How did you go about lining up an internship so far in advance? Was it part of a specific program, like a coop at Northeastern, or is that how it normally works? And what school did you go to? As you can tell, I don't know much about internships, so I plan on seeing what career services can do for me at my new school.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Actually, I have a follow up question. How did you go about lining up an internship so far in advance? Was it part of a specific program, like a coop at Northeastern, or is that how it normally works? And what school did you go to? As you can tell, I don't know much about internships, so I plan on seeing what career services can do for me at my new school.

Career Services will definitely be able to help you through the process, and hopefully put you in contact with recruiters or point you in the right direction. I got my internship early because I did "leadership conference" type thing with my firm for 2 days at the end of sophomore year, and all 30 of us who did the program got internship offers for the following summer at the end of the two days. To my knowledge, all of the Big 4 still have programs like that for rising juniors. Once you get an internship, you basically just have to not completely gently caress something up and show a positive attitude and you'll get a full time offer.

I went to a small liberal arts college south of Boston - my firm was (and still is) the biggest recruiter for any major at my school, and at the time they were the only Big 4 that recruited there although now all four do.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I've thought about doing accounting but I have zero background in business/accountancy/etc. but do have a B.A. in a completely unrelated field (Japanese). Would doing something like a certificate in accounting from a community college open any doors to me? Would it be a good use of my time/money or would I just be chasing meaningless certifications?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I've thought about doing accounting but I have zero background in business/accountancy/etc. but do have a B.A. in a completely unrelated field (Japanese). Would doing something like a certificate in accounting from a community college open any doors to me? Would it be a good use of my time/money or would I just be chasing meaningless certifications?

You really need to get your CPA license when it comes down to it, unless you want to just do bookkeeping your whole life and never get that far into a real career.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Walk Away posted:

You really need to get your CPA license when it comes down to it, unless you want to just do bookkeeping your whole life and never get that far into a real career.

Would doing some kind of certification be a meaningful step in that direction? Would I have a good chance of getting some sort of bookkeeping work, at least for the short term, while I build up qualifications to take the CPA? Or is the entire idea just a waste of my time unless I was gonna get a second bachelors?

edit: I mean a Masters of Accounting sounds like a smarter idea, but I have my doubts about being eligible for it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 15, 2011

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Would doing some kind of certification be a meaningful step in that direction? Would I have a good chance of getting some sort of bookkeeping work, at least for the short term, while I build up qualifications to take the CPA? Or is the entire idea just a waste of my time unless I was gonna get a second bachelors?

edit: I mean a Masters of Accounting sounds like a smarter idea, but I have my doubts about being eligible for it.

Well you will need to check with your state's Board of Accountancy. You need a BA/BS to sit for the exam in most places, but it depends on the state as far as whether that degree needs to be in accounting. There are also pretty specific requirements as far as which classes you have to have taken in order to sit for the exam. Personally, I think that you should check out the requirements for your state and just work toward fulfilling those.

Getting a certification and getting some bookkeeping work could be helpful if you are working under the direct supervision of a CPA as this kind of experience applies toward the required experience to get your actual license. Again, you would need to check your state's fine print on all of that.

If you're set on getting into accounting, get your CPA license before getting a Master's. It will be a lot more valuable in terms of your career.

If you happen to live in California, I could send you the handbook and some info that I have saved on my computer.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Like it was said, you really want to get a degree in accounting or a related field and work towards getting credentialed to go far in the industry. However, I think your background in Japanese could be very useful in many aspects of finance and accounting such as transaction services and work involving foreign operations - you could potentially even get short or long term assignments in Japan if you were interested (down the road, of course).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

How do I get work in foreign countries? I was under the assumption that due to different regulations in different countries, it's not so easy.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Moneyball posted:

How do I get work in foreign countries? I was under the assumption that due to different regulations in different countries, it's not so easy.

Not for long. The 'International Financial Reporting Standards' (IFRS) are currently being adopted by most countries. The US is one of those. I believe that we are trying to adopt the standards nearly in whole by 2014. Personally, I think that the international standards are too vague and allow way too much room for interpretation, but that's really not up to me.

Anyway, a lot of the stuff is still the same but there are still some major differences between US GAAP and IFRS. One of those is of inventory valuation. Under IFRS, LIFO isn't allowed at all, for example. It shouldn't be too much longer, however, until we make the switch.

Also, with the use of XBRL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBRL), the sharing and interpretation of financial data between industries in different countries is becoming more and more relevant and reliable.

I don't see there being many barriers to your working abroad, actually. Many firms have international clients and offices. And with the adoption of IFRS (mostly) globally within the next 3 years or so, your skills can be transferred just about anywhere.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Walk Away posted:

Well you will need to check with your state's Board of Accountancy. You need a BA/BS to sit for the exam in most places, but it depends on the state as far as whether that degree needs to be in accounting. There are also pretty specific requirements as far as which classes you have to have taken in order to sit for the exam. Personally, I think that you should check out the requirements for your state and just work toward fulfilling those.

Getting a certification and getting some bookkeeping work could be helpful if you are working under the direct supervision of a CPA as this kind of experience applies toward the required experience to get your actual license. Again, you would need to check your state's fine print on all of that.

If you're set on getting into accounting, get your CPA license before getting a Master's. It will be a lot more valuable in terms of your career.

If you happen to live in California, I could send you the handbook and some info that I have saved on my computer.

I'm in Connecticut:

A minimum of 36 semester hours in accounting (which may include basic or an introductory accounting course),
30 semester hours in economics and business administration

I mean, pretty much you would have to get a second degree to pursue it, if I'm reading this right? Almost makes it attractive to pursue it in a state with more lenient requirements. Like apparently Maine seems to require a bachelors, but just in whatever. :v:

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Any Big 4 tax guys in here? I am just about to start my junior year in a 5 year program with only two accounting classes under my belt so far (intro to financial accounting and intro to managerial accounting). Most of what I've learned so far has related to audit, so I naturally have leaned toward working in audit. However, I feel like the more structured schedule of tax work (more time in the office, etc) fits my personality better.

My main question is: how complex and/or stimulating can tax work at a large firm be? I've been to a few leadership conferences, so I've heard the lectures regarding the main differences between audit and tax, but I still feel like I know next to nothing about actual tax work.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I'm in Connecticut:

A minimum of 36 semester hours in accounting (which may include basic or an introductory accounting course),

I mean, pretty much you would have to get a second degree to pursue it, if I'm reading this right? Almost makes it attractive to pursue it in a state with more lenient requirements. Like apparently Maine seems to require a bachelors, but just in whatever. :v:

California is like that for now, but we are switching over to the more stringent requirements in 2014. You might want to check on that before you jump on something. I think that most states are going to make that switch in order to make the nationwide standards more streamlined. So yeah, just check with the state's Board to make sure that they don't have any changes planned for the near future.

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Mush Mushi posted:

Any Big 4 tax guys in here? I am just about to start my junior year in a 5 year program with only two accounting classes under my belt so far (intro to financial accounting and intro to managerial accounting). Most of what I've learned so far has related to audit, so I naturally have leaned toward working in audit. However, I feel like the more structured schedule of tax work (more time in the office, etc) fits my personality better.

My main question is: how complex and/or stimulating can tax work at a large firm be? I've been to a few leadership conferences, so I've heard the lectures regarding the main differences between audit and tax, but I still feel like I know next to nothing about actual tax work.

Try to get an internship to get some actual hands on experience. Or maybe talk to some people at a networking event to get an idea. You really won't know if you find it stimulating until you actually perform it for awhile.

masada00
Mar 21, 2009

I'm in Connecticut:

You also need 150 semester hours overall. They try to say that you don't necessarily need to get a Masters, but that being a CPA is so "technical" that you probably should be taking graduate level classes before you get certified.

http://www.cscpa.org/Content/Students/Pledge/Requirements.aspx
http://www.cscpa.org/Content/21703.aspx

masada00 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 21, 2011

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm considering looking into a joint MBA/JD program from Massachusetts School of Law and Fitchburg State College. Neither are fantastic schools, I just like the idea of working towards two degrees at once.

Should I think about better schools?

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

masada00 posted:

You also need 150 semester hours overall. They try to say that you don't necessarily need to get a Masters, but that being a CPA is so "technical" that you probably should be taking graduate level classes before you get certified.

http://www.cscpa.org/Content/Students/Pledge/Requirements.aspx
http://www.cscpa.org/Content/21703.aspx

If you're close to having the 150 credits and the required accounting courses, I advocate for taking extra undergrad courses instead of getting the graduate degree since it is cheaper and the MSA degree in particular isn't especially valuable. Most of the skills and knowledge I have that have made me good at my job were gained through actual experience and not through schooling - you can absolutely be successful in this industry without a graduate degree.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I agree with the above poster. However, I have talked to a few partners and managers at local firms and they tend to say that if you want to go into taxation, you will likely be expected to get your Masters in the future. Personally, I would wait to get into a firm where they might pay for your graduate education.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for this thread. I have one question thought: How important are spreadsheets in modern accounting?

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you for this thread. I have one question thought: How important are spreadsheets in modern accounting?

When I did my internship in auditing, I spent upwards of 12 hours a day, every single day, using spreadsheets. Sometimes they were so large that the computer froze and excel crashed, costing me all of my work for the day because it took 45 minutes to save so I obviously hadn't done so.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Herr Tog posted:

Everyone in junior accounting or any kind of junior financial role in the last ten years spends probably at least 60% of the day working in excel. Accounting it's probably even closer to 80-90%.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Walk Away posted:

I agree with the above poster. However, I have talked to a few partners and managers at local firms and they tend to say that if you want to go into taxation, you will likely be expected to get your Masters in the future. Personally, I would wait to get into a firm where they might pay for your graduate education.

I meant to touch upon this in my post, and I do agree - an MST is a pretty valuable degree and if you can handle the workload and expense, I wouldn't deter anyone from pursuing it.

masada00
Mar 21, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

I would recommend picking up some Excel books that explain how to use the formulas and create pivot tables. 2007 made pivot tables pretty simple but it still confuses people who generally only use Excel for data input.

Golashes posted:

Everyone in junior accounting or any kind of junior financial role in the last ten years spends probably at least 60% of the day working in excel. Accounting it's probably even closer to 80-90%.

Which version are you using? We use 2007 but I have a friend who works for a company that still uses 2000.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

masada00 posted:

I would recommend picking up some Excel books that explain how to use the formulas and create pivot tables. 2007 made pivot tables pretty simple but it still confuses people who generally only use Excel for data input.

Which version are you using? We use 2007 but I have a friend who works for a company that still uses 2000.

2007, my internships I had to use 2000. Man it would be hell to go back now.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

So what you're saying is, as someone halfway through an accounting degree and isn't very good with excel, it's time to start studying?

e:

or take this class:

quote:

An in-depth expansion of the spreadsheet topics introduced in ITC117 will be presented. Using the latest PC-based spreadsheet software, students will study 3D spreadsheet models, statistical and financial analysis, advanced graphical analysis, pivot Tables, automation with macros, and complex problem solving. Techniques for designing and sharing spreadsheets intended for use in the workplace will be stressed. Three lecture hours per week. Not open to students who have received credit for BTE241.
Prerequisite: a passing grade on the College's Computer Literacy Examination as verified by Department Chairperson or ITC100 or ITC117.

go for the second option?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 23, 2011

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
It'll help but it probably won't make or break you. I was only asked about it once in an interview and kind of as a side question. You learn a lot of the tricks as you go as well.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

So what you're saying is, as someone halfway through an accounting degree and isn't very good with excel, it's time to start studying?

e:

or take this class:

go for the second option?

You don't need to be awesome at Excel out of the gate to get a job or be successful at it - chances are wherever you go will have some training to help you out and others will teach you tips and tricks along the way. It will however be very helpful to you in terms of just doing your job, and if you are good with Excel it can make your work life a lot easier. I'm 200% better with Excel now than I was when I started working two years ago, but there are still other people who are way more proficient with it and certain tasks I groan about are easy for them. The day I learned how to successfully use vlookup changed my life...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three of Clubs
Dec 7, 2004
really truly?
In my experience accounting graduates usually have very little knowledge of Excel (other than the basics) and learn everything on the job.

It's also my experience that Excel training courses don't help all that much unless you use the training in your day to day; without that, people tend to only remember that there are functions etc that could help you, not what they are or how to use them.

That being said, your course may be taught differently.

Also, remember that 50% of Excel modelling is presentation. I work with a guy who knows a lot of the technical aspects of Excel modelling but couldn't set out a spreadsheet to save his life. I hate working with him with a passion.