Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
This still has to be approved and all of that. Don't expect a overnight change, or even one this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Ryokurin posted:

This still has to be approved and all of that. Don't expect a overnight change, or even one this year.

I'm not really up on the corporate merger scene, but what are the chances that Motorola and Google have been working together more closely because of this deal than they would have otherwise?

Could the Bionic delays be due to Google suggesting/insisting on certain optimizations?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Could be, but wasn't the rumor a month or so back that it was a Samsung device? We'll find out closer to the holidays.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
He was talking about the bionic, not the nexus 3.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

While I wish the merger is the reason behind the bionic delays (google making the Jesus phone even more Jesusy), I seriously doubt that's the reason why.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
If I could guess, I'd say that their new LTE implementation is pretty awesome and Google may want to snatch that up and hold it over Apple's head to stop all the lawsuits.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Pardon me if this has been covered but,

My brother just ordered a replacement HTC Thunderbolt because his had various problems. We got the replacement in the mail today and it works great but we cannot figure out how we're supposed to send back the old phone. They gave us what looks like a flat piece of cardboard with some cellophane wrapping and what might be a return shipping label. Does anyone know how we're supposed to use this cellophane-wrapped cardboard? I could fold it into an envelope and put the phone inside, but that doesn't really seem safe. Plus there's this square hole that looks important but I have no clue what it's for.

I can get pics if you guys are just as confused as I am.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Sunblood posted:

Pardon me if this has been covered but,

My brother just ordered a replacement HTC Thunderbolt because his had various problems. We got the replacement in the mail today and it works great but we cannot figure out how we're supposed to send back the old phone. They gave us what looks like a flat piece of cardboard with some cellophane wrapping and what might be a return shipping label. Does anyone know how we're supposed to use this cellophane-wrapped cardboard? I could fold it into an envelope and put the phone inside, but that doesn't really seem safe. Plus there's this square hole that looks important but I have no clue what it's for.

I can get pics if you guys are just as confused as I am.

Did you read the instructions? I'm pretty sure you send it back using the same box it was shipped in.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

WeaselWeaz posted:

Did you read the instructions? I'm pretty sure you send it back using the same box it was shipped in.

Then what on earth is this little cardboard plastic thing for?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Sunblood posted:

Then what on earth is this little cardboard plastic thing for?

Pictures would help us figure it out.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Slide the phone in it, like your replacement came. Under the plastic and cardboard stand is a return label. Tape up the box, put the label on the outside.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I just had a Thunderbolt replaced before I sold it. You just put the phone in the padded envelope which should already have a label on it. You don't have to send back the microSD card, sim card, charger, or any other accessories. Just drop the envelope in your mailbox and you're good to go.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

comper posted:

I just had a Thunderbolt replaced before I sold it. You just put the phone in the padded envelope which should already have a label on it. You don't have to send back the microSD card, sim card, charger, or any other accessories. Just drop the envelope in your mailbox and you're good to go.

Not "you don't have to", DO NOT send back anything but the phone. All accessories, cards, and the battery are supposed to be kept and used with the replacement. I doubt they would give you the stuff back if you sent it by accident.

avan
Apr 26, 2010
Alright so I want to vent and ask a question. I recently discovered that I had an upgrade credit and after having the original droid for 2 years it seemed time. I went in stating that I didn't find it reasonable to buy a 200 dollar phone that has outdated tech on it, like half a gig of ram and a single core processor especially with the droid bionic coming out eventually. They said it could be 6 months before that phone is out and I "should really go with the Samsung charge because its the best phone for some time." so after some arguing I reluctantly picked the charge which I am satisfied with, but I did some looking and apparently it is almost certain that the bionic is coming out on the 8th of September. I feel sort of cheated and I am wondering how hard it would be to go in and give this phone back without paying their stupid $35 restocking fee. I just got it Monday and to think that if I had waited 3 more weeks I could have had the phone I wanted. I feel a bit cheated, but isn't that how everyone feels with cellphones? Any help would be great!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Honestly just pay the restocking fee, you seem privy enough about what's out there on the internet its really your fault and your fault only for getting the charge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's also been at least one recent rumor from Android Central that the Bionic may be pushed out as early as August 26th now (which totally doesn't make sense because Verizon releases phones on Thursday and not Friday usually, but whatever.)

The sales person just wanted a sale on the most expensive phone that Verizon offers right now and would tell you any number of 'half truths' to get you to re-up.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Seriously people, for fucks sake, never, ever listen to a Verizon rep. I'm sorry to the Verizon reps in this thread, I'm sure you guys are great, but I've had Verizon reps flat out lie (like it seems they did with you) to me to try and sell me a phone. They don't know poo poo. They don't have some special connections. They are a salesman and that's the bottom line. You let them cheat you man, luckily you can take it back and tell them to shove it.

If you don't believe me, go in to your local Verizon store and ask the first rep you see if you should have ATK on your Android phone. Just do it.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Most of the time I go into the Verizon corporate store around here asking about a phone, they tell me things I know to be incorrect. This isn't just Verizon though, try any place selling new tech and you'll find the same thing. Google is your friend.

It is funny to think that he tried to sell you on the fact that a phone that debuted at CES this year wouldn't be coming out until after next year's CES.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 18, 2011

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Codiusprime posted:

If you don't believe me, go in to your local Verizon store and ask the first rep you see if you should have ATK on your Android phone. Just do it.

I just tried this and the sales rep popped a boner right there on the showroom floor!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

jfreder posted:

Most of the time I go into the Verizon corporate store around here asking about a phone, they tell me things I know to be incorrect. This isn't just Verizon though, try any place selling new tech and you'll find the same thing. Google is your friend.

It is funny to think that he tried to sell you on the fact that a phone that debuted at CES this year wouldn't be coming out until after next year's CES.

This is so true, I shouldn't have really picked on Verizon. I've pretty much stopped asking sales reps anything when I go into an electronics store (rarely do anymore, hallo newegg).

It took me forever to convince my fiance that she didn't need a talk killer, the Verizon rep told us that our phones would run slow if we didn't have it and that it was the most important app for us to have and blah blah blah. Never again.

More recently, I went in to the Verizon store to see if I could get them to replace my Fiance's busted Droid X that she bought off of ebay. Not only did the manager, the manager, flat out tell us that neither Verizon or Motorola would honor any warranty and that she was screwed, but she made sure to tell us about the awesome buy one get one free deal they had going on for X2's. Aw, thanks :allears:

Edit: Clarification, the phone worked when she bought it. She dropped it in water and the sensor wasn't tripped so we were trying to see if we could pull a fast one. The manager told us that because it was bought on ebay there was nothing that either Verizon or Moto would/could do. Both were lies as Verizon replaced my used Fascinate and Motorola was going to replace her Droid X until they spotted water spots.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 18, 2011

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

This is so true, I shouldn't have really picked on Verizon. I've pretty much stopped asking sales reps anything when I go into an electronics store (rarely do anymore, hallo newegg).

It took me forever to convince my fiance that she didn't need a talk killer, the Verizon rep told us that our phones would run slow if we didn't have it and that it was the most important app for us to have and blah blah blah. Never again.

More recently, I went in to the Verizon store to see if I could get them to replace my Fiance's busted Droid X that she bought off of ebay. Not only did the manager, the manager, flat out tell us that neither Verizon or Motorola would honor any warranty and that she was screwed, but she made sure to tell us about the awesome buy one get one free deal they had going on for X2's. Aw, thanks :allears:

Edit: Clarification, the phone worked when she bought it. She dropped it in water and the sensor wasn't tripped so we were trying to see if we could pull a fast one. The manager told us that because it was bought on ebay there was nothing that either Verizon or Moto would/could do. Both were lies as Verizon replaced my used Fascinate and Motorola was going to replace her Droid X until they spotted water spots.

Actually, she wasn't lying. When you buy a phone from someone else, the warranty doesn't follow you. Sometimes, exceptions can be made but it's policy. The warranty follows the account number, so even IF you buy a phone from Verizon and decide to, for example, change the account over to your girlfriend's name, technically, you've lost your warranty. That's one of the key things reps include in their "Clear Customer Disclosure" when performing an assumption of liability. If you come to me and told me you bought a phone off ebay and want it replaced under warranty I would laugh at you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

What's up with this?

I can understand a sales clerk bullshitting to make a sale, but it seems like even bringing up ATK with a customer (whether actually necessary or not) is just going to confuse them and make them uncertain about a purchase. Unless the goal is to push them over to an iPhone.

Also, yeah, everyone knows ATK isn't necessary, but 3G Supercharger Mega is!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kstatix posted:

Actually, she wasn't lying. When you buy a phone from someone else, the warranty doesn't follow you. Sometimes, exceptions can be made but it's policy. The warranty follows the account number, so even IF you buy a phone from Verizon and decide to, for example, change the account over to your girlfriend's name, technically, you've lost your warranty. That's one of the key things reps include in their "Clear Customer Disclosure" when performing an assumption of liability. If you come to me and told me you bought a phone off ebay and want it replaced under warranty I would laugh at you.

Tell that to the Motorola person that explicitly told me the warranty follows the phone. I don't know who was right. All I know is that Motorola took the phone back and so did Verizon (granted that was a special circumstance I'm sure). So right now in my book, she is wrong on at least one thing.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's up with this?

I can understand a sales clerk bullshitting to make a sale, but it seems like even bringing up ATK with a customer (whether actually necessary or not) is just going to confuse them and make them uncertain about a purchase. Unless the goal is to push them over to an iPhone.

Also, yeah, everyone knows ATK isn't necessary, but 3G Supercharger Mega is!

Yea, this was after we had bought the phones. She installed the app for us, didn't really even give us a choice.

Editx2: I'll give her the Verizon one, as that was Samsung's doing. Motorola flat out told me the opposite though so I'm going to go ahead and believe what they said about their policies.

Editx3: and reps only know what their bosses tell them. I didn't expect Verizon to cover my phone as they didn't sell it to me.

Editx4: I feel like im getting less clear. I didn't expect either Verizon or Motor to cover a used phone. I called Motorola before I went into the store and they told me they would honor the warranty. Then I went to Verizon to see if they covered it just for the heck of it and she told me that not only would Verizon not cover it but Motorola wouldn't either. I was very surprised that Motorola was going to help us out.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 18, 2011

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
When I bought a used X, Verizon told me they wouldn't do any warranty work on it but that Motorola would honor the one year manufacturer's warranty. Of course, Motorola needs proof of purchase so unless you also get the old receipt with it, you're boned. That was my experience, anyways.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jfreder posted:

Of course, Motorola needs proof of purchase so unless you also get the old receipt with it, you're boned.
That's pretty funny. Makes me wonder:

Do they still require original proof-of-purchase for phones that have been on the market for less than a year? More specifically, if the device serial number says it was part of a manufacturing lot < 1 year old, there shouldn't be any quesiton as to whether the warranty has expired yet or not.

Wouldn't "first activation date" be a reasonable approximation of the original purchase date? Aside from Verizon keeping it in a database, I think CDMA phones store the activation date in radio NVRAM anyways. Perhaps if a phone is reactivated the original date is scrubbed though.

Also, certainly Verizon knows when a phone was originally sold and activated for any subsidized sale because of the contract renewal. I can't imagine they don't keep historical records of that for a long time.

Seems to me the "we don't know how old it is" bit is a scapegoat to get out of their warranty obligations. What I'd be really interested in is if someone forges an original sales receipt, would they notice and deny? If so, then they must know when the device was originally sold, in which case why require the proof?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do they still require original proof-of-purchase for phones that have been on the market for less than a year? More specifically, if the device serial number says it was part of a manufacturing lot < 1 year old, there shouldn't be any quesiton as to whether the warranty has expired yet or not.

Wouldn't "first activation date" be a reasonable approximation of the original purchase date? Aside from Verizon keeping it in a database, I think CDMA phones store the activation date in radio NVRAM anyways. Perhaps if a phone is reactivated the original date is scrubbed though.

Also, certainly Verizon knows when a phone was originally sold and activated for any subsidized sale because of the contract renewal. I can't imagine they don't keep historical records of that for a long time.

Seems to me the "we don't know how old it is" bit is a scapegoat to get out of their warranty obligations. What I'd be really interested in is if someone forges an original sales receipt, would they notice and deny? If so, then they must know when the device was originally sold, in which case why require the proof?

Yeah by using the serial number on my phone I was able to look up the manufacture month and it wasn't anywhere near a year, but the warranty thing on Motorola's site is automated and it tells you to include proof of purchase when you send in the phone. I didn't want to send my phone away for a couple weeks just to have them send it back on a technicality. I imagine they just aren't motivated to make it easier to get warranty work done.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My Store got stuck with a defective D2G that was a display phone and we couldn't send back to the vendor because we had it too long.

I did the online RMA thing, sent it in, and got a refurb back from them in less than a week. No Proof of purchase required. This was less than a month ago.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
This Nexus Prime in October talk is driving me mad. I've been holding out for the bionic or sgs2 for months.... and now new game-changing things are being rumored for just 2 months from now?

OG droid has made it this far... can he hold out another 2 months just to find out if Verizon will get Prime love? :iiam:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then, when the mythical "nexus prime" comes out, kal-el quad core smartphones will only be two months away.

I mean, if you wait till the middle of fall to get a phone, you might as well wait through CES to see what's shown off.

Then drat, those CES phones are slick, starting to come out in March you say? Well, that's just two months away, I can wait that.

drat, phone I wanted is delayed, but there are rumors of some new hotness on the horizon. May release you say? Not too bad, I can wait that.

Well poo poo, the summer phones are right around the corner now. Those look mighty interesting!

...and so on.

I guess you can see what I'm getting at.

We're seeing a significant jump every three months or so. No one's forcing you to buy a phone, but if you are always looking at "what's coming out" rather than "what phone has the features that I want today" you'll be like all those poor bastards on Howardforums that are still rocking the original BB Storm because what's coming out is always more exciting than what's here.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was considering waiting for the Bionic and then said gently caress it and got a Thunderbolt and I couldn't be happier. I'm coming from an OG Droid so I'm not even going to notice the dual core difference or any of that poo poo. My new phone is the fastest thing on earth as far as I'm concerned.

nachos fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 19, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I want at least dual core and I'm interested in Moto's own LTE modem being more battery efficient. That's the main reasons why I'm waiting.

I'm nearly 100% sure I'm getting the Bionic at this point though unless Samsung or HTC announces something earth shattering at their respective press conferences which will come before the 8th anyways.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

No one's forcing you to buy a phone, but if you are always looking at "what's coming out" rather than "what phone has the features that I want today" you'll be like all those poor bastards on Howardforums that are still rocking the original BB Storm because what's coming out is always more exciting than what's here.

(Un)Fortunately for me, looking for "what phone has the features I want today" means I'm FORCED to look at "what's coming out" since nothing has the features I want today! :v:

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

bull3964 posted:

:words:
I understand what you're getting at, but this year's advances have been more significant than previous years. LTE, dual core and buttonless ICS are pretty huge in my opinion. Compare that to last year's big new things? Were there any big new things last year other than Froyo and Gingerbread? (I don't consider those all that significant).

The only thing on the horizon is quad core - but with dual core phones already handling everything including HD video with aplomb... meh, that crap is underwhelming.

The fact of the matter is my Droid is still hanging on like a champ and I'm not desperate for a new phone yet. I was thinking the Prime would be out in the middle of winter like the previous 2 iterations. But if it's not... well, waiting til October to find out for sure isn't a big deal. And if the SGS2 or Bionic blow me away I'll probably go with one of them instead anyway.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Just read an article talking about a Samsung Prime being tested by Verizon. It would be just like Verizon to gently caress with a nexus device to the point where it isn't even a Nexus device anymore. Hopefully I'm being stupid and paranoidand and that's just what their calling the next Nexus.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I know they try and keep a tight lid on upcoming phones so the majority of people going into the stores won't know that something better is coming out in two weeks, but for people trying to make informed phone purchasing decisions it sure is a pain in the rear end.

My final NE2 is up next week, and coming from OG Droid I'm sure anything out there will blow my phone out of the water, but I'd like to be able to evaluate my options and determine how long I want to wait with a little more information.

I'm at least waiting the extra two weeks for the Bionic, but drat would it be nice to have something solid on the phones coming out in the next two months.

Are they calling the Vigor the HD now?

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 19, 2011

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

NewcastleBrown posted:

I know they try and keep a tight lid on upcoming phones so the majority of people going into the stores won't know that something better is coming out in two weeks, but for people trying to make informed phone purchasing decisions it sure is a pain in the rear end.

My final NE2 is up next week, and coming from OG Droid I'm sure anything out there will blow my phone out of the water, but I'd like to be able to evaluate my options and determine how long I want to wait with a little more information.

I'm at least waiting the extra two weeks for the Bionic, but drat would it be nice to have something solid on the phones coming out in the next two months.

Are they calling the Vigor the HD now?

Vigor is HTC and HD is Motorola, combine them with the Nexus Prime and I think it's probably worth it to wait until October and see how everything shakes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, current rumors are that the Droid HD does not, in fact, have an HD screen like rumored and that the HD only refers to the video recording capability.

It's basically just a thinner Bionic.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

bull3964 posted:

FYI, current rumors are that the Droid HD does not, in fact, have an HD screen like rumored and that the HD only refers to the video recording capability.

It's basically just a thinner Bionic.

Thinner Bionic with no 4g correct? I am up pretty perfectly on September first, and was set on a Bionic, if the HD is 4g, I will have to wait for that for another year...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

From what we know, it is supposed to be 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Scipiotik posted:

Vigor is HTC and HD is Motorola, combine them with the Nexus Prime and I think it's probably worth it to wait until October and see how everything shakes out.

Thanks for the clarification. I had seen a couple articles from the last week on the "hot new phones" coming out and all of them mention this HD but none did the Vigor. I didn't even pay attention to the manufacturers...

I'm also leaning toward waiting until October, or at least some more definite news. The Nexus Prime sounds like it could be what I'm looking for. Here's hoping the rumors are true.

Edit:

Looks like the Dutch managed to leak fake Vigor specs.

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 19, 2011

• Locked thread