Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Driving home last night my 01 Bullitt *almost* overheated. Checked coolant level this morning and it was bone dry, it took just over a gallon of coolant and then preceded to nearly gush coolant somewhere underneath after I started it up.

Didn't have time investigate at all so I just dropped it at a (trusted) shop. No real point to this post other than to share my pain, 'cause ugh.

EDIT: heater core is bad and the cooling system is rusted out. This will be fun to fix.

Dinurth fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Dinurth posted:

EDIT: heater core is bad and the cooling system is rusted out. This will be fun to fix.

Assembly manual for the Ford Mustang:
1) place heater core on assembly line
2) build car around the heater core

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dinurth posted:

Driving home last night my 01 Bullitt *almost* overheated. Checked coolant level this morning and it was bone dry, it took just over a gallon of coolant and then preceded to nearly gush coolant somewhere underneath after I started it up.

You mean your car looked like this? Dude you gotta replace the water pump!

also throw some kitty litter on that stuff to mop it up, animals like the smell of coolant and will drink it. then they will be poisoned and then they will DIE and you will have their BLOOOOOOD on your shoulders!:smith:

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

frozenphil posted:

Assembly manual for the Ford Mustang:
1) place heater core on assembly line
2) build car around the heater core

This is almost exactly what the shop owner said to me.

A new GT is looking pretty sweet right now...

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I have no Idea as I have never messed with the heater core, but instead of fixing it, can you just bypass it all together? I mean, many mustang fanatics dont drive the car in the cold. wouldnt it simply be easier to leave the core in place. and have a hose to bypass the core completely?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Not having a working defroster is dangerous IMHO, even if you don't mind the cold.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

sanchez posted:

Not having a working defroster is dangerous IMHO, even if you don't mind the cold.

yea but 9+ hours of labor for a 79 dollar part. you will be spending a grand on labor and AC/coolant recharges.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

kalvick posted:

I have no Idea as I have never messed with the heater core, but instead of fixing it, can you just bypass it all together? I mean, many mustang fanatics dont drive the car in the cold. wouldnt it simply be easier to leave the core in place. and have a hose to bypass the core completely?

E:^^^^ Also that.

I've read about some people doing this, but it seems really sketchy to me. But I am in Austin, TX so I'm not sure I would miss it...

The heater core itself is pretty cheap(under $100). Ford said they would replace for about a grand, or I could blow my weekend doing this with a buddy. This is the last thing in the world I want to do with my weekend when I'm working 80 hour weeks.

Edit: Local mustang shop quoted me $650 and said he'd drop the labor rate down $5/hr due to the word of mouth recommend, so that's not terrible.

Dinurth fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 17, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kronix posted:

Is it going straight onto the street? There's definitely shops in the area that I know that will let you slide on minor safety problems.

I know a pretty lax shop. He passed my Evo when it didn't have a cat on it, despite looking under there. I have a feeling I could tape some dryer hose off the midpipe and he wouldn't notice.

Tbh, SVOs aren't _that_ uncommon in the area. I could get pretty clean ones if I spent a couple thousand more, or rattier ones for less. This one hits a sweet spot for price and lack of rust, though.

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001
I had a '90 LX with a bad heater core. I just did the bypass and I was fine. Even if you elect to replace the heater core in the future it wouldn't cost you more than 20 bucks in hose and at most an hour to do it yourself in the meantime. At least you can keep driving the car even if you haven't made up your mind to replace it.

For what its worth I live in Minneapolis and the lack of heat didn't bother me when driving the car april-oct.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

One thing strange that I just thought of, if the heater core went bad, why is the coolant draining outside the cabin? Every heater core I've seen pop dumps all the coolant into the passenger floorboard.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

One thing strange that I just thought of, if the heater core went bad, why is the coolant draining outside the cabin? Every heater core I've seen pop dumps all the coolant into the passenger floorboard.

Thats why I said water pump replacement.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

frozenphil posted:

If your idea of modding is just "do an exhaust and maybe a CAI and canned tune", get the premium trim from the start and be happy.

I am the definition of this. I don't really have the time to be spending every waking hour modifying my car to get an extra 0.02 seconds off my quarter mile.

This being said, I just ordered the Roush Axle-back and CAI from American Muscle. I have a tuner still from my 2004 Mustang, and I need to order another tune for it. Has anyone used an existing tuner, and ordered new tunes? I have an SCT X3 tuner.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Aberroyc posted:

This being said, I just ordered the Roush Axle-back and CAI from American Muscle. I have a tuner still from my 2004 Mustang, and I need to order another tune for it. Has anyone used an existing tuner, and ordered new tunes? I have an SCT X3 tuner.

Did you un-marry it from the 2004? If not, do that. If you don't have access to the 2004 you'll have to send the unit back to SCT.
VMP Tuning would be my canned tune recommendation with Lethal Performance a close second.

FYI, don't do business with American Muscle in the future. They're the reason for the anti-tuning TSB and they tried to cover it up.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
My 2002 V6 has started to randomly pop out of second gear from time to time making a horrible "krshrrrrrr" noise. Any ideas on what the problem is? It only happens in 2nd.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I know a pretty lax shop. He passed my Evo when it didn't have a cat on it, despite looking under there. I have a feeling I could tape some dryer hose off the midpipe and he wouldn't notice.

Tbh, SVOs aren't _that_ uncommon in the area. I could get pretty clean ones if I spent a couple thousand more, or rattier ones for less. This one hits a sweet spot for price and lack of rust, though.

Yeah it's not that I can't afford/find one it's that I only have one parking spot behind my house and having a project car on the street isn't an awesome idea between having to keep it fully insured and movable as possible. I still love em though and I'd like to find one in a couple of years when I have a house.

SlimManFat posted:

My 2002 V6 has started to randomly pop out of second gear from time to time making a horrible "krshrrrrrr" noise. Any ideas on what the problem is? It only happens in 2nd.

Check the linkage if possible. If it's not the linkage it's probably some internal damage to the transmission or the gear itself.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Dinurth posted:

E:^^^^ Also that.

I've read about some people doing this, but it seems really sketchy to me. But I am in Austin, TX so I'm not sure I would miss it...

The heater core itself is pretty cheap(under $100). Ford said they would replace for about a grand, or I could blow my weekend doing this with a buddy. This is the last thing in the world I want to do with my weekend when I'm working 80 hour weeks.

Edit: Local mustang shop quoted me $650 and said he'd drop the labor rate down $5/hr due to the word of mouth recommend, so that's not terrible.

For what it's worth, I've been driving around with the heater core bypassed in my Olds for nearly 2 years now. I don't ever really need the heat living in Charlotte.

e: and for what it's worth, Phil, your goddamned thread has me now cross shopping Mustangs with the Camaro I've wanted for so long. I wish they'd announce a price on the freakin' ZR1. I'm making an appointment to drive a Boss 302 this weekend.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

e: and for what it's worth, Phil, your goddamned thread has me now cross shopping Mustangs with the Camaro I've wanted for so long.

:clint:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MrSaturn posted:

For what it's worth, I've been driving around with the heater core bypassed in my Olds for nearly 2 years now. I don't ever really need the heat living in Charlotte.

e: and for what it's worth, Phil, your goddamned thread has me now cross shopping Mustangs with the Camaro I've wanted for so long. I wish they'd announce a price on the freakin' ZR1. I'm making an appointment to drive a Boss 302 this weekend.

Anyone gonna let you take out a GT500? I'd say that's a lot closer to the ZR1 than the Boss.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kronix posted:

Anyone gonna let you take out a GT500? I'd say that's a lot closer to the ZR1 than the Boss.

But the Boss is just SOOOOOOOO much more cooler!

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

kronix posted:

Based on my experiences, the dealerships will be more willing to let you test drive a GT500 than a Boss 302.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kalvick posted:

But the Boss is just SOOOOOOOO much more cooler!

I'm gonna level: I think the Boss looks like a comical clown Mustang, or possibly like one of those late 90s Acura Integras that spiky haired guys used to drive about 10 years ago with non-matching doors and hoods sourced from junkyards.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Did you un-marry it from the 2004? If not, do that. If you don't have access to the 2004 you'll have to send the unit back to SCT.
VMP Tuning would be my canned tune recommendation with Lethal Performance a close second.

FYI, don't do business with American Muscle in the future. They're the reason for the anti-tuning TSB and they tried to cover it up.

Thanks, Phil. I was sure unlock the 2004 before I got rid of it. I will check them out.

I must have missed something about the TSB and them. I'll look it up.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

What's this all about? I've always had good luck with American Muscle's prices and customer support, but this sort of thing worries me. Did they just sell lovely 5.0 tunes from Bama?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

What's this all about? I've always had good luck with American Muscle's prices and customer support, but this sort of thing worries me. Did they just sell lovely 5.0 tunes from Bama?

It was discussed a few pages back but basically you got it spot on. They seem to say that it was a small batch of tunes and have claimed they'll replace engines that were blown up because of it. Ford covered their asses and issued a tsb claiming they have the right to deny warranties id tunes are the suspected cause of the problem.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugg boots posted:

Bama is AM, but yeah. The most concerning part was their posts in threads were they tried to defend their tune and only succeeded in revealing that they have no idea how to tune. They, quite literally, just changed poo poo to change poo poo with no testing or knowledge regarding how their changes affect anything else.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Do you have an alternative to recommend? It's always been nice to have a one-stop shop for Mustang components.

edit: vvv poo poo, LMRS is awesome. Good riddance, AM!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 18, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

LMRS, CJ Pony Parts, Lethal Performance, etc...

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the stock Mach 460 head unit? (01Mustang)
I'm sick of listening to the radio(cd player died long ago) and it would be nice to have bluetooth to listen to music from my phone.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dinurth posted:

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the stock Mach 460 head unit? (01Mustang)
I'm sick of listening to the radio(cd player died long ago) and it would be nice to have bluetooth to listen to music from my phone.

go to crutchfield.com, put in the specs of a radio that you want for your car.
then look at the highest reviews/your budget, then average one out, then go to some other site and get it cheaper. Im running a kenwood with blue tooth with aux usb for ipod and sirius radio.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

kalvick posted:

then look at the highest reviews/your budget, then average one out, then go to some other site and get it cheaper. Im running a kenwood with blue tooth with aux usb for ipod and sirius radio.

This is exactly what I was looking for, much appreciated!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

:hfive:
This is what I do too. I'm looking to replace the stereo in my '03.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

:hfive:
This is what I do too. I'm looking to replace the stereo in my '03.

I want to do the exact same thing! I could really use some bluetooth or a wired ipod connection so I can stop burning CD's.

Edit: by exact same thing I mean I also have an '03.

But hopefully I will have a job next week that pays engineer money and I'll hold out and buy a new Mustang in 1-2 years.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

I want to do the exact same thing! I could really use some bluetooth or a wired ipod connection so I can stop burning CD's.

Edit: by exact same thing I mean I also have an '03.

But hopefully I will have a job next week that pays engineer money and I'll hold out and buy a new Mustang in 1-2 years.

Hello, separated at birth twin!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Dont do what i did and buy the wrong fuckin wiring harness for the mach 460 system, luckily i was ripping out the mach 460 anyways but drat that was lovely. It uses a very specialized adapter because its all amped after the head unit in the mach system. A good head unit should cost you max $200... unless youre buying double din. hard to go wrong with kenwood, sony, jvc, alpine. My pioneer 8200 has this lovely little control stick volume knob that sucks, i would avoid pioneer since they include them on some of the lower stuff.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 19, 2011

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Do people who have swapped their stereo miss Sync at all?

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

Bama is AM, but yeah. The most concerning part was their posts in threads were they tried to defend their tune and only succeeded in revealing that they have no idea how to tune. They, quite literally, just changed poo poo to change poo poo with no testing or knowledge regarding how their changes affect anything else.

Gotta link? I love shop drama

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I'm thinking about upgrading from my 2010 V6 to a 2012 V6 or V8. I think I'm going to have to custom order it because I want khona blue and a glass roof. I have a couple of questions:

First issue: I'm on the fence about the V6 and the V8. Obviously more power is always nice, but I'm not really sure about paying 7k more for it. I'm not really planning on modding it or anything, and it will be my daily driver, so I think I might just be better off with the V6? Essentially I'm just torn between wanting more power and being reasonable about what I actually need...

Second issue: Premium or regular and then have a custom job done? I saw someone discussing this earlier and I'm wondering if I might get better value just having a custom job done? I live in Atlanta, so if anyone knows of good shops in that area please let me know.

Third Issue: If I get a V6 I don't like any of the grills that come stock and I would like to replace it with something else. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 2010 V6 to a 2012 V6 or V8. I think I'm going to have to custom order it because I want khona blue and a glass roof. I have a couple of questions:

First issue: I'm on the fence about the V6 and the V8. Obviously more power is always nice, but I'm not really sure about paying 7k more for it. I'm not really planning on modding it or anything, and it will be my daily driver, so I think I might just be better off with the V6? Essentially I'm just torn between wanting more power and being reasonable about what I actually need...

You should push the decision to the extremes -- reasonable would be keeping your current lower-powered ride and just enjoy that. Or go whole hog and gain 200 extra ponies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I agree with kimbo. poo poo or get off the pot.