Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I was able to (follows is an alternative way to kill him) stealth up into the other raised gaurdhouse area, where there is a sniper rifle, and used shadow operative to hit him repeatedly, then chain-shot him with steelcore pistol rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So what is the context?

It's from JE Sawyer's panel when he was discussing mechanic in RPGs - this was one of the examples of skill randomization as a bad mechanic

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Alpha Protocol had "randomized" skills?

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
He used the aiming cone as an example of that - since your skill is low it's random where you will hit with a bullet

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I never heard about this game but it sounds like it's right up my alley with the exception of the minigames. For $8 at Amazon I think I can take a chance on this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zagrod posted:

He used the aiming cone as an example of that - since your skill is low it's random where you will hit with a bullet

But he's using a shotgun. Every video game shotgun has a giant spread, and people seem to like it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr. Stab posted:

But he's using a shotgun. Every video game shotgun has a giant spread, and people seem to like it.

Not Crysis, and I was a big fan of that shotgun

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

My dream game using the Alpha Protocol setup would either be a Dirty Harry style cop game or an X-Files-ish game. AP with aliens and occult poo poo would be neat.

If the Delta Green game that Flying Fish was/is making ever gets finished, it'll be an Enemy Unknown-like with dialogue and tradecraft.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 17, 2011

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I just beat it. Man, that was amazing, I can't wait to do it again.

My first Thornton was an rear end in a top hat who suckered up to everyone and then executed them at the earliest opportunity. I killed every killable character except for Stephen Hock (my bro), and Scarlet. I would have murdered her too, except I never got the option to at the last mission - did I do something wrong?

I plan on playing through again in a couple weeks as a "good" Thornton who focuses on stealth and hand-to-hand combat, trying to be as "no kill" as possible. I might have to pick the same ending though - siding with Leland and then betraying him on the dock was HILARIOUS. "...the data? I thought I gave you one of my remote mines." :smug:

Also, I never romanced anyone but I didn't get the achievement for not doing so. Not a big deal, wondering if it's glitched somehow. I also killed (almost) everyone in the entire game and didn't get that achievement, was that again because I didn't get a chance to off the character I mentioned?

ninja edit: I hadn't seen it mentioned, so somebody wanna spoil me on who Wen Shu or however their name was spelled is? The credits imply he was an American sleeper agent, was it Heck?

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 17, 2011

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Popular Human posted:

I just beat it. Man, that was amazing, I can't wait to do it again.

My first Thornton was an rear end in a top hat who suckered up to everyone and then executed them at the earliest opportunity. I killed every killable character except for Stephen Hock (my bro), and Scarlet. I would have murdered her too, except I never got the option to at the last mission - did I do something wrong?

Also, I never romanced anyone but I didn't get the achievement for not doing so. Not a big deal, wondering if it's glitched somehow. I also killed (almost) everyone in the entire game and didn't get that achievement, was that again because I didn't get a chance to off the character I mentioned?

ninja edit: I hadn't seen it mentioned, so somebody wanna spoil me on who Wen Shu or however their name was spelled is? The credits imply he was an American sleeper agent, was it Heck?

- It's very easy to miss Scarlet on the last level because the door leading to them is unmarked and completely inconspicuous. They're in the interrogation room, and if you walk past the door to it you get cut off from going back.

- You actually have to actively turn down the four romance options, Mina, Scarlet, Madison in Rome, and SIE as your handler for the last mission, when they try to bang you, instead of blowing them off completely. The description is misleading.

- Wen is the guy Heck is torturing when you first meet him. If Heck likes you, he pins the assassination attempt on him, among other things.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Bloodcider posted:

- It's very easy to miss Scarlet on the last level because the door leading to them is unmarked and completely inconspicuous. They're in the interrogation room, and if you walk past the door to it you get cut off from going back.

- You actually have to actively turn down the four romance options, Mina, Scarlet, Madison in Rome, and SIE as your handler for the last mission, when they try to bang you, instead of blowing them off completely. The description is misleading.

- Wen is the guy Heck is torturing when you first meet him. If Heck likes you, he pins the assassination attempt on him, among other things.

I totally didn't notice that that was Wen! I remember that now.

Thanks for the clarification. One thing, I did find Scarlet in the last mission, but it didn't give me the option to kill her, I just told her to be careful and try to escape. I probably needed to get my reputation with her lower. It's just irksome, because I planned to celebrate the game's commitment to allowing you to murder important NPCs by leaving no one alive at the end (other than your mandatory handler.)

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Popular Human posted:

Ah, thanks for that. Only thing is, I did find Scarlet in the last mission, but it didn't give me the option to kill her, I just told her to be careful and try to escape. I probably needed to get my reputation with her lower.

I'm pretty sure the only way to kill her (at least with high rep) is download the PDA data from Omen Deng (who, from the sounds of things, you had already killed). Otherwise, Mike won't kill her, even if she confesses her secret fact to you.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

HenryEx posted:

It's probably "Aiming reticule larger than your target that's ten meters away".
Yeah.

Dr. Stab posted:

Not every video game shotgun has a giant spread, and the ones that do typically feel terrible. Also, AP's targeting cones are generally huge across the board.

That was the last slide in series showing Deus Ex (the original), Vampire:tMB, and Alpha Protocol with the summary being that despite the fact that we consistently see a lot of people having a negative reaction to quasi-RPG enormous spread patterns for guns, we keep implementing them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Popular Human posted:

He's the laundromat guy, he basically becomes the scapegoat for the assassination if Heck likes you since heck sends in a tip and also puts lots of evidence at his home to frame him.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

rope kid posted:

Not every video game shotgun has a giant spread, and the ones that do typically feel terrible. Also, AP's targeting cones are generally huge across the board.

In particular Doom's shotgun is an excellent long range weapon with a super tight bullet spread.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Doug Lombardi posted:

In particular Doom's shotgun is an excellent long range weapon with a super tight bullet spread.

I'll be honest, I find almost every shotgun missing that feeling that I had with the Doom one. It was too perfect, it spoiled me

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Crysis had a pretty awesome shotgun with an adjustable choke so you could switch between wide and tight spread.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Hannibal Smith posted:

The assault pack was at Gamespot, so it was pretty common, but the stealth pack was through Gamecrazy, which went out of business before the game came out. They switched the bonus to Best Buy at the last minute, but it still ended up being comparatively rare. I actually remember a few eBay auctions on launch day where people were buying the stealth pack codes for $30+.

Look what I just saw sitting on the shelf at my local Best Buy :ssh:

(top left corner)

Poor thing is still there from launch, $19.99 :laugh:

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I grabbed Alpha Protocol for 20 bucks at Best Buy about 6 months ago and it had the stealth weapons pack too, and there were a good 4-5 of them on the shelf.

CoffeeBreak80
May 3, 2009

Just started playing this game and loving it so far (once I got the hang of hacking with the mouse and keyboard, that is).

Category Fun! posted:

Text in dialogue choices doesn't show up

Turn of Anti-Aliasing. There should be text in the conversation menu when you're choosing dialogue responses. I thought that was obvious but apparently some people played the entire game thinking you were just supposed to choose the general mood of your dialogue!

Regarding this point from the OP, I'm having the issue where I can't see the dialogue responses. However, I can't seem to find the anti-aliasing option in the menu. Can someone point out how obviously blind I am and help me out? How do I turn off anti-aliasing?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There is no in-game option for it. Use the options for your graphics driver (Catalyst Control Center for ATI, don't know what for nVidia) and force AA off.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Little late, but chalk me up as a day-one purchase, though I didn't preorder because the hell with that archaic bullshit. Walk into target and there's fifty of them on the shelf without some uppity register biscuit harassing me.

Nearing double-digit completions finally.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
So I finally started my SMG + Aggressive and it's actually pretty badass. I had completely overlooked the major advantage of bullet storm: double special ammo. With the bonuses from tech aptitude you get plenty of refills so I basically just pretend I'm playing Just Cause 2 and run around blowing poo poo up, spraying bullets everywhere, and completely ignoring alarms. Which is good because it makes some of the less exciting missions go a lot quicker.

Getting martial arts next so I whenever I run out of ammo I can pop ephedrine and be best bros with Brayko. :haw:

Isko
May 20, 2008
I'm confused about the dialogue not showing up glitch. Does that just mean that the words like Professional or Suave don't appear or is highlighting the buttons also supposed to show additional text or something? I disabled anti-aliasing but it didn't seem to make any changes.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
The former. People would be choosing between 3 or 4 literally blank directions with seemingly random results. If you see text you're good.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Why exactly did this game get bad reviews? I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Because it's the most buggy game ever made. If you try to install it, it will delete your boot.ini file. When you try to play it, random NPCs drop through the floor. Under Windows XP you can't talk to anyone and it claims they're always busy.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Sarcasm aside, Alpha Protocol ain't got nothin' on the Gothic series. Or any other title ever released by JoWood, for that matter. I remember being excited for Gothic 3 and then reading half a screen worth of forum post on how to get the loving demo to run.
:negative:

Anyway, the game does have its low points (I remember roaring in anger when I got screwed over in certain encounters for the umpteenth time because my camera would constantly switch directions near corners, for example), but I'm sure we can all agree it didn't deserve its low ratings, especially compared to other titles gaming journalism has outlived its usefulness.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

Take your pick; any or all of these seem plausible (and are based on or extrapolated from actual review content):

• Game had noticeable bugs and was not made by Bethesda, Rockstar, Bioware, or Volition
  • Reviewer was expecting a third-person shooter and not an RPG
  • Reviewer played two missions in Saudi Arabia and extrapolated the rest of the game from that
  • Reviewer played the game through once and then assumed that none of your choices affect anything, because what game ever does that?
  • Reviewer was expecting an RPG and RPGs have to have turn based, ideally D&D-inspired combat
  • Reviewer did not actually play the game, but instead pulled a review and score out of their rear end because
    • They already know that Obsidian releases unplayably buggy games and don't want to play it to confirm that
    • They already know it can't possibly be as good as Mass Effect, because unlike Mass Effect, none of your choices will actually matter (what)
    • They already know it can't possibly be an RPG, because like Mass Effect, none of your choices will actually matter
    • They are lazy and cannot be arsed to actually play the games they're ostensibly reviewing, when randomly copying paragraphs from other reviews is much faster

To be slightly less snarky, the game is not without fault. It runs poorly; the KB+M controls for the hacking minigame are terrible (and the tutorial that explains them to you is broken); there's at least three unique, annoying, and pervasive graphical problems you can trigger; some of the mission triggers are broken; the skills and weapons are wildly unbalanced; stealth works extremely counterintuitively; and the first chapter of the game is easily the worst and least interesting.

Most reviewers, however, don't seem to criticize it for that (or praise it for what it does right), but instead go in with preconceptions and force the game to fit those, or in some cases outright make (factually incorrect) poo poo up and then slam the game for that.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 19, 2011

CoffeeBreak80
May 3, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

Text in dialogue choices doesn't show up

Turn of Anti-Aliasing. There should be text in the conversation menu when you're choosing dialogue responses. I thought that was obvious but apparently some people played the entire game thinking you were just supposed to choose the general mood of your dialogue!

Isko posted:

I'm confused about the dialogue not showing up glitch. Does that just mean that the words like Professional or Suave don't appear or is highlighting the buttons also supposed to show additional text or something? I disabled anti-aliasing but it didn't seem to make any changes.

Holy Calamity! posted:

The former. People would be choosing between 3 or 4 literally blank directions with seemingly random results. If you see text you're good.

Wait a minute. So just to confirm, if I can see words like "professional," "sauve," and "aggressive" in the dialogue tree, that's all I'm supposed to see?

I can already see those words, but the wording of OP made me believe that I'm supposed to be able to see exactly what Mike is going to say when I mouse over each option (since I can already see the "mood" of each response choice).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CoffeeBreak80 posted:

Wait a minute. So just to confirm, if I can see words like "professional," "sauve," and "aggressive" in the dialogue tree, that's all I'm supposed to see?

Yes. That's all you see. The OP is badly written. The problem people were having was that they wouldn't see any text, leading to many accidental executions.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Yeah, I really should rewrite that part.

e: So I did! There was a great image on google images that showed a comparison between the AA bug and how it should look, but it's just a cached thumbnail and the full image is broken. If anyone can find a similar image I'll mention your good deed in my next prayer session.

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 19, 2011

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Just bought this game on a lark and it's really great, but gently caress this "enemies disappear when reloading a save" bug. It's not even a reload after death you loving game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GloomMouse posted:

Just bought this game on a lark and it's really great, but gently caress this "enemies disappear when reloading a save" bug. It's not even a reload after death you loving game.

Go through the menu rather than quickloading or such.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Go through the menu rather than quickloading or such.

I am going through the menu! It does it when loading from the autosave slot, so I made a save at the beginning of the mission, still when I load from it all enemies in that part of the area are gone. Give me my XP you goddamn terrorists :argh:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The more I hear about Deux Ex: Human Revolution, the more it sounds like a successor to Alpha Protocol as much as Deus Ex.

Customizable weapons, a game that feels "right" no matter how you choose to solve things, being rewarded for any approach, being able to be a tank or a ninja, huge unnecessary side-missions that deeply expand your knowledge without being required to complete the game satisfactorily.

All this stuff makes me want to buy it right now. I hate buying stuff at launch, but if anyone who has played it can say how the game play compares to Alpha Protocol maybe I can be swayed. Steam pre-order sale ends today.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Eh, reading the Bit-tech review of it makes it seem like a whole lot less than AP in terms of multiple paths. Looks to be mostly black and white binary choices and little to no input in terms of how bosses are handled.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I lost almost all interest in HR when I heard that the "punch through walls" augmentation can only be used on pre-set bits of wall. IMMERSION RUINED

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just started this on PC and the mouse is incredibly slow. Does the fix in the OP work for that, or just stutter? I'm having alot of trouble in fights because I can't look around quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Doc Hawkins posted:

I lost almost all interest in HR when I heard that the "punch through walls" augmentation can only be used on pre-set bits of wall. IMMERSION RUINED

Add to that, you can't actually punch anyone outside of pre-determined non-lethal takedown moves. There is no melee option at all for a man who can literally punch through walls.

• Locked thread