Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Well, I done done it, but not the way I thought. I was eyeing a 2012 Mustang GT in grabber blue, but a used one they had just gotten in caught my eye, and so, well here she is:

2011 Mustang GT/CS with only 12k miles on it, pristine condition. Dude that originally bought it immediately took off the stock tires, and then put them back on when he sold it back to the dealer, so I have brand new tires. He also upgraded the exhaust to some Flowmaster rig. I'm not sure if it's cat-back or axle-back, but it sounds amazing.

I'm in love. Couldn't argue with $10k cheaper than the 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

kalvick posted:

I have no Idea as I have never messed with the heater core, but instead of fixing it, can you just bypass it all together?

I did this on my 88 LX 5.0. I simply used a couple of plumbing joiners and a U shaped hose to connect the two hoses where the enter and exit the firewall. Did the trick nicely.

Of course this was a summer only car... so...

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

Diseased Yak posted:

Well, I done done it,

Beauty car! There are really only two colors I like the CS package in, Ingot silver and black... looks great!

How do you like the Auto? I have a mt-82, which so far has no issues. I heard the Auto is great especially with a tune.

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

Bandire posted:

All 19" options should have it, Brembo package included. I want to say all convertibles have it too, but I'm not 100% on that.

This is correct. Mine has the 19" 5 spokes and I have the strut brace. Also my buddies convertible has one.

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

frozenphil posted:

There was also the whole "post the problem on every message board making it seem like a bigger issue than it was" thing going on. Same thing that's currently happening with the #8 bullshit.

There is a guy named "Jmatero" that's responsible for like 90% of this stuff... he is on every message board (even VW and Acura forums?) with post after post. Its a religious crusade to have the Mustang stop being produced I think for him.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

AtomicBomber posted:

Beauty car! There are really only two colors I like the CS package in, Ingot silver and black... looks great!

How do you like the Auto? I have a mt-82, which so far has no issues. I heard the Auto is great especially with a tune.

Yeah the CS package really looks good in silver, I especially love how the wheels match with the body color.

Love the auto so far. I know I'll catch flack for not having an mt but eh, the auto is good enough for me.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Diseased Yak posted:

Yeah the CS package really looks good in silver, I especially love how the wheels match with the body color.

Love the auto so far. I know I'll catch flack for not having an mt but eh, the auto is good enough for me.

On my '11 GT the biggest problem with the auto is the rolling stop. Sometimes it just won't move at all then surge ahead rather than moving gracefully forward. I've read a tune will take care of this, which I will be purchasing shortly after a CAI/Axle-back exhaust that is slate to arrive Tuesday.

Other than that, the auto is incredible. People have ridden with me when I've gunned it and expect a huge jerk at the redline shift always compliment how smooth the transition is (almost like a CVT).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A puff piece on the Boss by Autocar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REiMvxxamA
The Boss's plate is
M3 FMC

Ford's M3?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Aberroyc posted:

Other than that, the auto is incredible. People have ridden with me when I've gunned it and expect a huge jerk at the redline shift always compliment how smooth the transition is (almost like a CVT).

This is exactly what's wrong with the Mustang auto, in stock form it has absolutely no kick in the shifts. It feels completely under control. :smith:

Even in stock form, my 275 HP LT1 Camaro A4 would put down a huge patch of rubber on the 1-2 shift, and if you weren't careful it would jump sideways on you. :haw: It ran low 14s but it felt like a rocket sled.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 21, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Number_6 posted:

This is exactly what's wrong with the Mustang auto, in stock form it has absolutely no kick in the shifts. It feels completely under control. :smith:

Even in stock form, my 275 HP LT1 Camaro A4 would put down a huge patch of rubber on the 1-2 shift, and if you weren't careful it would jump sideways on you. :haw: It ran low 14s but it felt like a rocket sled.

I agree the LT1 Camaros were a blast because I had one for a while but you just have to remember the V8's today just aren't the same. To make yourself feel better go snap off a 30-90mph run. By the time you were into 3rd gear on the LT1 the car felt like it was running out of breath on the top end. I feel like my Mustang pulls all day long anywhere in the rev range.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Has anyone used the X-plan to make a purchase? If so, can you share your experiences with it?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

kimbo305 posted:

You should push the decision to the extremes -- reasonable would be keeping your current lower-powered ride and just enjoy that. Or go whole hog and gain 200 extra ponies.

Alright, well on that note, I've heard some stuff about the GT having transmission issues and the NHTSA investigating them. Anyone know anything about it? I wouldn't mind getting an auto but, unlike other sports coupes, the autos don't allow you to control shifting at all, which would be a little disappointing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

HiddenReplaced posted:

Alright, well on that note, I've heard some stuff about the GT having transmission issues and the NHTSA investigating them. Anyone know anything about it? I wouldn't mind getting an auto but, unlike other sports coupes, the autos don't allow you to control shifting at all, which would be a little disappointing.

It's complete and utter bullshit made into an issue by loudmouths posting their trouble on every message board they can.
Seriously, out of all the manual transmission Mustangs made there have been less than a half dozen reports of problems. If you're scared of chances that slim then I don't know how you manage to walk out of your house every morning.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Last I heard the number of transmission complaints was at 32. Source

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

Last I heard the number of transmission complaints was at 32. Source

Out of how many thousand?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Like I've always said, I learned to drive stick on my 2011 Mustang, and I drive it reasonably hard, so my transmission's been abused in pretty much every way known to man (including attempting to shift from neutral to first without the clutch at a stop because I am apparently retarded, or at least was not paying sufficient attention) and it still works just fine. I really, really wouldn't about the robustness of the transmission.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Out of how many thousand?

You said less than a half-dozen. I corrected you on the number. I didn't say anything else.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

You said less than a half-dozen. I corrected you on the number. I didn't say anything else.

:hfive:

I'm totally in favor of this look being carried to the street.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

frozenphil posted:

It's complete and utter bullshit made into an issue by loudmouths posting their trouble on every message board they can.

Seriously, out of all the manual transmission Mustangs made there have been less than a half dozen reports of problems. If you're scared of chances that slim then I don't know how you manage to walk out of your house every morning.

Is it really that hard to do you own research before posting?

The NHSTA database is at 80 complaints for the 2011 model and 13 for the 2012. Note these are complaints exclusively about the manual transmission.

There's also a poll on the All Ford Mustang forums which indicates that 107 people are having issues with their manual transmission, which is 30.66% of the people who voted in that poll.

Another poll on that forum, which deals with the MT82 exclusively, has 80 people answering that they've had minor issues and 31 people answering that they've had major issues.

In addition to all of this, Ford has not been able to resolve the problem. It's not as if people with this issue are going in to dealerships and coming out with their cars fixed. They're going in to dealerships and being told that there is no solution at this time.

Clearly there is a problem. Anyone who is thinking of buying a Mustang right now needs to head in to it with the knowledge that manual transmission issues could be a part of their ownership experience.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

BDawg posted:

Has anyone used the X-plan to make a purchase? If so, can you share your experiences with it?

I was all set to do this before finding that great deal on a barely used Mustang. However, we did go over it with several dealers, and it all works basically the same. Assuming you have your X-plan paperwork, just take that into the dealer, tell them upfront you have X-plan pricing, and in short order you'll be looking at a dealer invoice, with the dealer invoice price, and a clearly written X-plan price.

In my experience with the two dealers, the X-plan pricing was always lower than their "absolute lowest price" they quoted before I revealed the X-plan. Of course, your experience might vary. They should all honor that price with no hassle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Faceless Clock posted:

Is it really that hard to do you own research before posting?

The NHSTA database is at 80 complaints for the 2011 model and 13 for the 2012. Note these are complaints exclusively about the manual transmission.

There's also a poll on the All Ford Mustang forums which indicates that 107 people are having issues with their manual transmission, which is 30.66% of the people who voted in that poll.

Another poll on that forum, which deals with the MT82 exclusively, has 80 people answering that they've had minor issues and 31 people answering that they've had major issues.

In addition to all of this, Ford has not been able to resolve the problem. It's not as if people with this issue are going in to dealerships and coming out with their cars fixed. They're going in to dealerships and being told that there is no solution at this time.

Clearly there is a problem. Anyone who is thinking of buying a Mustang right now needs to head in to it with the knowledge that manual transmission issues could be a part of their ownership experience.

Provide context. What is the average for similar cars per unit sold?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

PT6A posted:

Provide context. What is the average for similar cars per unit sold?

Sorry but I'm not going to do a vast amount of research when anyone can just go and look at the complaints themselves. It's all on safercar.gov

But the 2011 Camaro currently has two manual transmission complaints filed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Faceless Clock posted:

Sorry but I'm not going to do a vast amount of research when anyone can just go and look at the complaints themselves. It's all on safercar.gov

So now I have to prove your point of view? I guess I missed out on how to present an argument since I never went to debate class. :(

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

frozenphil posted:

So now I have to prove your point of view? I guess I missed out on how to present an argument since I never went to debate class. :(

I'm asking you to make an effort. I already provided you with some facts, directed you to where you can go to find more information, and disproved your original statement.

frozenphil posted:

there have been less than a half dozen reports of problems.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

HiddenReplaced posted:

I wouldn't mind getting an auto but, unlike other sports coupes, the autos don't allow you to control shifting at all, which would be a little disappointing.

Technically, although the Mustang automatic (surprisingly) doesn't have paddle shifters or a +/- sequential mode, you can still work gears 1-3 "manually" with the shifter. Unlike many automatics, it will actually stay in the gear you select (and only that gear). And with a 3.15 rear end, that may be all you need.... 3rd gear is good up to something like 115-120 mph, give or take.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 23, 2011

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Faceless Clock posted:

It also has extremely poor outward visibility, pops the side curtain airbags doing donuts because it thinks it might roll over, and those '70s throwback console gauges are just as impossible to read today as they were 40 years ago.

For the amount of cars moved the reported problems for the Mustang are near-as-makes-no-difference an absolute non-factor.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They had a bad batch of output shafts for the TR6060 that stopped Camaro sales last year. I guess it's not a safety issue so the NHTSA wouldn't care about it.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/07/2010-chevy-camaro-ss-on-hold-for-transmission-issues.html

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Number_6 posted:

Technically, although the Mustang automatic (surprisingly) doesn't have paddle shifters or a +/- sequential mode, you can still work gears 1-3 "manually" with the shifter. Unlike many automatics, it will actually stay in the gear you select (and only that gear). And with a 3.15 rear end, that may be all you need.... 3rd gear is good up to something like 115-120 mph, give or take.

Ladies and Gentleman, I show you the best mod you can do with your automatic transmission, the B&M hammer shifter with a queue ball. It will let you gently caress around with your gears in your auto. That way you wont mistakenly shift to the wrong gear. but I would recommend you get a transmission cooler and some other supplemental mods before you do it.

It isnt exactly a pro dragster shifter, but it does the job just fine for the street.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

frozenphil posted:

Seriously, out of all the manual transmission Mustangs made there have been less than a half dozen reports of problems.

There's been at least two in this thread, including myself. My problem is just that sometimes the 1-2 and occasionally 2-3 shifts are kind of rough. And once in a while you really have to shove it to get it back into first.

That said, I suspect it's like this: a couple people have serious problems (eg, that jmatero guy who won't shut the gently caress up), a bunch of people have minor issues (eg, me), and most everyone else is fine. In other words, it's like every other transmission in the world.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Presto posted:

That said, I suspect it's like this: a couple people have serious problems (eg, that jmatero guy who won't shut the gently caress up), a bunch of people have minor issues (eg, me), and most everyone else is fine. In other words, it's like every other transmission in the world.

Exactly, yeah. People are far too hung up on a number I threw out to illustrate a point instead of the message I was conveying because of some retarded need to prove someone wrong.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 2010 V6 to a 2012 V6 or V8. I think I'm going to have to custom order it because I want khona blue and a glass roof. I have a couple of questions:

First issue: I'm on the fence about the V6 and the V8. Obviously more power is always nice, but I'm not really sure about paying 7k more for it. I'm not really planning on modding it or anything, and it will be my daily driver, so I think I might just be better off with the V6? Essentially I'm just torn between wanting more power and being reasonable about what I actually need...

Second issue: Premium or regular and then have a custom job done? I saw someone discussing this earlier and I'm wondering if I might get better value just having a custom job done? I live in Atlanta, so if anyone knows of good shops in that area please let me know.

Third Issue: If I get a V6 I don't like any of the grills that come stock and I would like to replace it with something else. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated.

I've got a 2010 V6 in Kona Blue and I couldn't be happier. Well, obviously it'd be nice to have a couple hundred more horses under the hood, but it's not enough for me to want to trade in my pony on a newer machine. As far as premium versus standard goes, I didn't think it was worth the extra cash for the premium package, but I've also put probably 2 grand down on the car in custom parts. I swapped out the upper and lower grill with the CDC grill overlay (pony delete), installed the pony package fog lights with Starkey's aftermarket wire harness, replaced the headlights with black projectors (the ones with the white halo rings, which I know a lot of people think are ricey, but I like them). I also have a rear decklid panel, removed my rocker stripes (had white ones), and tinted the amber and red quarter running lights. If you want I can get a couple of pictures off of my camera at home to at least show you what the front looks like.

Also, I am by no means an experienced automotive (body or engine) person and I was able to do all of this with just my brother helping me out to have an extra set of hands around (including installing a cold air intake and installing a more aggressive tune with a handheld tuner). The hardest two mods were installing the new headlights (because we had to pull off the bottom front bumper, and the clips holding it in were stripping when we were trying to unscrew them) and installing the rear decklid panel (because it's a faux-gascap delete one, so we had to pull that off and there's a ton of 3M tape holding it there.)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Ugg boots posted:

As far as premium versus standard goes, I didn't think it was worth the extra cash for the premium package, but I've also put probably 2 grand down on the car in custom parts. I swapped out the upper and lower grill with the CDC grill overlay (pony delete), installed the pony package fog lights with Starkey's aftermarket wire harness, replaced the headlights with black projectors (the ones with the white halo rings, which I know a lot of people think are ricey, but I like them). I also have a rear decklid panel, removed my rocker stripes (had white ones), and tinted the amber and red quarter running lights. If you want I can get a couple of pictures off of my camera at home to at least show you what the front looks like.

Yeah I'd like to see what the front looks like. Also the rear decklid panel, because I was thinking about doing something similar, but I've never seen it on khona blue. Thanks for your response, very helpful.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Yeah I'd like to see what the front looks like. Also the rear decklid panel, because I was thinking about doing something similar, but I've never seen it on khona blue. Thanks for your response, very helpful.

No problem, I'll try to grab them today or tomorrow.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
My Mustang has been in the shop for a few days now, getting the panhard bar installed.

The installer just called and said that he had to slightly move the exhaust pipes when the car was in the air and the panhard bar fit no problem. but when the car was on the ground the panhard bar touches every part of the exhaust.

the installer said the pipes are going to require some major re-plumbing to work right and be perfectly strait out the back. The upshot is that he is not gonna charge me more than what we agreed upon and he will throw in a free oil change for making me wait so long.

I appreciate the honesty and all, but the problem now is that I have to wait for his pro-welder to come in to rework my pipes in his words to do the job right and not rushed.

I guess the moral of the story is don't use Magnaflow Catback's because they are the biggest pipe's with the least amount of clearance and also are made out of the hardest steel to weld with.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Didn't get a photo of the rear decklid panel since I just grabbed photos off of my camera, but it was the first mod that I did and the one I'm happiest with. I know that the faux gas cap is all "retro" and stuff, but it always felt so gaudy to me.

Anyways, here are a couple photos I had on my camera of the front with the fog lights and running lights on (but headlights off), and that shows off the grille overlay. The biggest problem I have with the front look now is I'd like to either throw on an OEM hood scoop or new hood (not a cowl one, but a ram-air looking one like Cervini's Type IV), and I need better/different bulbs for the fog lights to match the regular/running lights.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

I guess the moral of the story is don't use Magnaflow Catback's because they are the biggest pipe's with the least amount of clearance and also are made out of the hardest steel to weld with.

Or don't buy a panhard bar that doesn't fit right.

Ugg boots posted:

The biggest problem I have with the front look now is I'd like to either throw on an OEM hood scoop or new hood (not a cowl one, but a ram-air looking one like Cervini's Type IV)

Saleen? It's expensive, though.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Saleen? It's expensive, though.

Yeah, I keep going back and forth as to whether or not I like the Saleen hood. It's nice, but it's expensive. If I'm going to pay that much for a hood then I'm not sure that I want one that only seems to be halfway between the hood it has now and some of the other hoods I like. The reason I'm looking hard at the OEM hood scoop is because it'd be only like 300 dollars and there are plenty of photos of it on Kona mustangs out there.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Ugg boots posted:

Anyways, here are a couple photos I had on my camera of the front with the fog lights and running lights on (but headlights off), and that shows off the grille overlay. The biggest problem I have with the front look now is I'd like to either throw on an OEM hood scoop or new hood (not a cowl one, but a ram-air looking one like Cervini's Type IV), and I need better/different bulbs for the fog lights to match the regular/running lights.

Looks good. I was thinking about ordering it with the scoop on the hood. I like the way the regular hoods look, but I would also like to look a little different from the other Mustangs out there.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Looks good. I was thinking about ordering it with the scoop on the hood. I like the way the regular hoods look, but I would also like to look a little different from the other Mustangs out there.

Yeah, I like the stock hood a lot (especially in comparison to the 2005-2009 one) but I feel it's missing a bit of pizzazz. I've toyed around with three ideas: a new hood (like this Trufiber Venom Hood), the factory hood scoop, or matte black hood cowl stripes like this. I think the stripes would look slick, because of the matte black ABS used for the side lower pieces and rear fascia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I like the cowl stripes, but I don't know how I feel about stealing from Chevy.