Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

neamp posted:

Also the planned operation to liberate Tripoli is apparently called "Mermaid Dawn"? Yeah...

Apparently a nickname for Tripoli is 'Bride of the Sea and the River', and the term mermaid is just the closest English translation. If it carries the dual meaning of 'Tripoli Dawn' to the locals it actually makes a lot more sense than the translation would suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Isn't the whole idea of codenames for operations so that you can't figure out what they are about from the name alone?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
This is spectacular, go out for three hours and in the course of that the news goes from rebels securing the four cities they had captured to battles raging in Tripoli. I can only hope it turns into "Ghaddafi flees Libya" before going to bed. After god knows how many deaths it finally seems like it's finally near a close. While it's terrible so many people had to die just to be able to have basic democratic rights, I have a lot of hope for Libya post-Ghaddafi for the fact thousands of Libyans actually took up arms, created a rebel army, and died for their human rights. I don't think the Libyan people will settle for anything but a functioning democracy after this.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Amused to Death posted:

I can only hope it turns into "Ghaddafi flees Libya" before going to bed.
I would prefer "Ghaddafi&sons captured while trying to flee Libya".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Namarrgon posted:

Isn't the whole idea of codenames for operations so that you can't figure out what they are about from the name alone?

It used to be. Mostly they gave up after the Cold War ended.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sounds like the people in Tripoli have managed to start capturing weapons from Gaddafi goons.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Namarrgon posted:

Where else are they going to be attacking at this point? Obfuscating the real target might be a waste of time.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

One thing that has been very interesting in the past week, as more reporters have arrived, are the odd report here and there of what appears to be NATO military co-ordinators on the ground, with the rebels as they advance.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Brown Moses posted:

One thing that has been very interesting in the past week, as more reporters have arrived, are the odd report here and there of what appears to be NATO military co-ordinators on the ground, with the rebels as they advance.

It's interesting watching the news; NATO's involvement in this last stage has been very minimized, though they are undoubtedly active.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Seems like it got a little less quiet in Tripoli again, from Missy Ryan in the Rixos:

quote:

Lots of automatic weapons being fired off in distance
meanwhile:

quote:

Libya Govt spokesman Moussa Ibrahim is seen on state TV on a car waving at crowds at Green Square, holding an image of Gadhafi

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Someone's made a map of Tripoli, trying to track the areas that are claimed to be free.

quote:

another loud explosion heard in Tripoli, Libya

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

quote:

Libya Govt spokesman Moussa Ibrahim is seen on state TV on a car waving at crowds at Green Square, holding an image of Gadhafi

It looks kind of bright out considering that it's almost 1am in Tripoli.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That's just the sun shining out of Gaddafi's arse.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
AJE said they were going to give more information on events at the top of the hour.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The pro-Gaddafi twitter accounts are all strangely quiet tonight. So much for "the people in Tripoli love Gaddafi and will fight to the death to defend him".

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

tetsul posted:

AJE said they were going to give more information on events at the top of the hour.

Worst news of the night: Ayman Mohyeldin is leaving AJE for NBC.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
drat, the AJE livestream doesn't seem to be working.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

You know poo poo is going down when the Reuter Twitter posts are all uppercase:

quote:

UNKNOWN NUMBER OF REBELS KILLED IN CLASHES IN TRIPOLI SUBURB, FIGHTING AT AIRBASE - OPPOSITION
NEW SERIES OF EXPLOSIONS, SUSTAINED AUTOMATIC WEAPONS FIRE HEARD IN TRIPOLI - REUTERS CORRESPONDENT
-SENIOR OFFICIAL WITH LIBYAN REBEL COUNCIL SAYS "ZERO HOUR HAS STARTED, THE REBELS IN TRIPOLI HAVE RISEN UP"
RTRS-SENIOR REBEL OFFICIAL SAYS "NEXT HOURS ARE CRUCIAL", MANY PRO-GADDAFI UNITS HAVE FLED

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

How are u posted:

drat, the AJE livestream doesn't seem to be working.

http://www.livestation.com/channels/3-al-jazeera-english-english

This was working a few minutes ago at least.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video is apparently from the Sabaa district of Tripoli tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlSZvZIxB4c

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

MothraAttack posted:

BBC says that probably about 30 people were killed, mostly men, but that the reality of what happened remains a bit vague. Civilians were injured and most likely some died, though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14486170

Thank you very much for finding this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Xandu posted:

http://www.livestation.com/channels/3-al-jazeera-english-english

This was working a few minutes ago at least.

Thanks so much, it works.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Al-Jazeera is reporting something about either an uprising or attacks in Khoms, which is between Zlitan and Tripoli.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I hope they got that giant poster of Gaddafi up in Green Square, I look forward to see it being torched.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's also rumours of protests in Sabha as well.

AJE is covering everything live at the moment.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Dude calling AJE from Tripoli is claiming rebel fighters are inside Tripoli.

Here's a map of Tripoli so you know where everything is

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another video from Sabaa in Tripoli:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCo4g_gZINg

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gaddafi is speaking on State TV now, audio only.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

My wish has come true!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A number of people are tweeting it sounds nothing like him.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Wonder if it is Saif.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm copying down the tweets of someone who is translating it, I'll post it once whoever is speaking is done.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

AJE is also translating it.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi is speaking on State TV now, audio only.

Crazy as a rat in a coffee can.

Edit: "do we loose our minds..."

Yes, yes you have.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Brown Moses posted:

I'm copying down the tweets of someone who is translating it, I'll post it once whoever is speaking is done.

It's being translated on the fly on Aljazeera English.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
Libyan road superiority.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So this is what it's come down to. Gaddafi rambling about roads.

Hexium
Mar 30, 2011
The roads. The rooooaaadss. The air conditionersss. NATO is destroying them!!!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gaddafi's final speech as Libyan leader

quote:

Gaddafi: Those who cheer the Nato planes that bomb during Ramadan, God drat their religion. You dirtied the mosques, how can you pray there?
Our country that was happy and comfortable in Ramadan, what have we done to France ans Britain, you want to give them our oil
Sarkozy wants our oil. You will hand over Libya on a silver platter. Sarkozy wants to be elected. He will say he occupied Libya
Libyan men want to kiss the head of Muamar (Gaddafi) What were you before the Fateh Revolution? You were occupied by Italians!
Go back to your families! Where are you going? You are going to give Libyan oil to France? The Libyans will never accept that
You want France to rule you! You want the donkeys of the Gulf to rule you!
What are we, Palestinians? Somalis! Why have we become this way? Who is standing with these people? Our tribes have been bombed
They call the planes to bomb their country! "Come bomb my country!" Look for who has done this to Libya & take revenge from them
Who has caused this? He is known. The traitor, the rat! He isn't Libyan. Look at the Libyans (on TV) kissing my photo now!
You're destroying the accomplishments-the airports! The Libyans are now beggars in Egypt & Tunis, take revenge on who has done this
Did we lose our minds or what? Our men were fine! What's this 17 of February, our sons are being wasted.
Now they will say my speech is recorded from before, the lying channels. Today is Ramadan 21st. And I am watching Bab Al Azizia now
Nato is collapsing, it is its last days. They are killing children. These are infidels, they kill you in Ramadan. It's 1:40 am now
These people want to burn Libya. The roads in the mountains even surprised Europe, you used to go on the donkeys & the great river!
The rebels are fleeing like rats from the mountains.
The donkeys of the Gulf have given them weapons to destroy our airconditionersA million people will rise to liberate Libya from them. Look at the fireworks in the Green Square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And the reaction in Tripoli:

quote:

Applause here in #Rixos hotel among Gvnt staff as #Gadaffi winds up his speech. Heavy gunfire outside.
Not so good.

• Locked thread