Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

You have/had what is known in some circles as the Joan Claybrook speedometer. During the Carter Administration, NHTSA made moto manufacturers cap the speedo at 80-85, even if the bike was capable of much more (some Kaws at the time actually had speedos that read 160--whether they could hit it is irrelevant). The idea being that it would have psychological impact and cause riders to back off when you hit the "max." When the rule went out the window, it occasionally resulted in some bikes of the same model/year getting two different speedos. Confusing when you try to source a replacement 30 years on.

Her influence may have been overstated at the time, but there were some who thought she was going to regulate the mode right out of existence. More info and hilarious 70s ads here:

http://tinyurl.com/3wt5egq

I had mistakenly thought this was a product of HD-driven import restrictions of the early 80s, but this put a clamp on the claimed displacement and HP, hence the influx of 700cc UJMs.

Along those lines, Yamaha TW200s have a "redline" on the speedo at 55mph. The redline has no relevance whatsoever to the actual RPM limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
55 MPH speed limit as well, my Lynx had the good ol' 85 speedometer with 55 lined in red.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
That comes from the old national speed limit of 55, I believe.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

casque posted:

Anyone know anything about a Honda vtr250?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2546417704.html

Is this too small for me at 6'2 & 200 lbs?

Is this too much for a 21 year old bike that's been raced?

What about this other Honda 250?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcd/2544882217.html

I've never ridden one of those VTR250s, but my dad and I bought my sister's boyfriend a VT250F-SE which has basically the same engine and ergos. It's got a decently punchy engine, but I thought it was too cramped and you're five inches taller and about 60lb heavier than me.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

AncientTV posted:

That comes from the old national speed limit of 55, I believe.

As I understand it, vehicles made at the time were made to operate at highest efficiently at 55 mph, is that correct or nonsense I picked up a long the way?

Not to worry about going faster than that. I guess it's the effect of people texting while driving - but where I live it seems people are more likely to drive 5-10 under the limit than over.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

thylacine posted:

As I understand it, vehicles made at the time were made to operate at highest efficiently at 55 mph, is that correct or nonsense I picked up a long the way?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

thylacine posted:

Not to worry about going faster than that. I guess it's the effect of people texting while driving - but where I live it seems people are more likely to drive 5-10 under the limit than over.

I thought that as well for awhile, but this cleared things up pretty handily:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law#55.C2.A0mph_speedometers

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

AncientTV posted:

I thought that as well for awhile, but this cleared things up pretty handily:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law#55.C2.A0mph_speedometers

Related reply in pics and videos thread, where it's probably more appropriate.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Ever since my CB750F was totaled, I've been looking for a simple bike to ride around the city and commute with. I've always liked the VFR series so what are the thoughts on this 3rd generation 1990 VFR750F?

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347001

I'm mildly broke right now and my CB550 backup bike has decided to not be reliable. I need a bike to get around and do deliveries on as well. Yes the bike has 104k miles on it but it has been properly maintained.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Going to look at this tomorrow morning, possibly buying:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-1984-Honda-Shadow-W0QQAdIdZ305247509

I looked at it briefly today and the guy was firm at $1300 but he had another buyer lined up at this price. He texted me later today to let me know that the other buyer flaked and he'd let me have it for $1100. I'm pretty tempted so I said I'd take another look tomorrow morning and buy if it checked out.

Any recommendations for things to look at? I looked closely at the engine, it looked good. The guy seems knowledgeable and competent in maintenance. He apparently has 6 bikes in his garage and loves 80's Hondas. He rode up on an 83? V45, so I'm inclined to believe him.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
So, I'm shopping for a commuter/touring bike. Started out on a ninja 250 in 06, sold it, bought an SV650S k6 in 07, rode the poo poo out of it, moved everything I owned on it from Biloxi, MS to San Angelo, TX, and had it stolen from me in either late 08 or early 09. Haven't had a bike since then, but I have the itch again, and gas prices are killing me in a huge 4x4 truck. Problem is, I only have $3k to spend tops. Realistically, I'd like to spend about $2k to $2500.

That's where this bike comes in:

2000 Bandit 600.
Frame has ~96k miles on it, the engine was swapped with an '06 Katana 600 motor that has about 22k miles on it.

Tires are good, comes with new RK chain, new SuperSprox sprockets, V-Strom handguards and MRA touring windshield, and the cases are going to cost me $300 extra.

It was wrecked at one time, so it now has new forks (from Forking By Frank) and SV650 wheels.

There's some rash on the left side of the tail that is hidden by the cases, and there's a crack in the fairing on the right side, down close to the tank.

He wants $2000 for it.

Do I buy it or skip it?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

invision posted:

2000 Bandit 600.
Frame has ~96k miles on it, the engine was swapped with an '06 Katana 600 motor that has about 22k miles on it.

Tires are good, comes with new RK chain, new SuperSprox sprockets, V-Strom handguards and MRA touring windshield, and the cases are going to cost me $300 extra.

It was wrecked at one time, so it now has new forks (from Forking By Frank) and SV650 wheels.

There's some rash on the left side of the tail that is hidden by the cases, and there's a crack in the fairing on the right side, down close to the tank.

He wants $2000 for it.

Do I buy it or skip it?

Why not buy another SV650? 2 grand for a bike with 100k miles, new motor, and that's been down hard enough to require new wheels and forks seems insane to me. I got my '00 SV650 that was absolutely flawless, never been down with really nice mods for a hair over $2k.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

invision posted:

So, I'm shopping for a commuter/touring bike. Started out on a ninja 250 in 06, sold it, bought an SV650S k6 in 07, rode the poo poo out of it, moved everything I owned on it from Biloxi, MS to San Angelo, TX, and had it stolen from me in either late 08 or early 09. Haven't had a bike since then, but I have the itch again, and gas prices are killing me in a huge 4x4 truck. Problem is, I only have $3k to spend tops. Realistically, I'd like to spend about $2k to $2500.

That's where this bike comes in:

2000 Bandit 600.

He wants $2000 for it.

Do I buy it or skip it?

Skip. That's way too much for an 11 year ild trashed 600, jesus.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
There's a Yamaha SDR200 up on eBay that's local to me, and I can't justify buying it because I've already got an impractical road-going two-stroke. But if I didn't, goddamn. I'd be all over that thing like a thing that's all over other things.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shouting Melon posted:

There's a Yamaha SDR200 up on eBay that's local to me, and I can't justify buying it because I've already got an impractical road-going two-stroke. But if I didn't, goddamn. I'd be all over that thing like a thing that's all over other things.

Holy hell, I've never even heard of that thing before. I want it.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Holy hell, I've never even heard of that thing before. I want it.

Me neither, it's like a SRX but with a 2 stroke, trellis frame and monoshock. Awesome.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo, that thing is definition of cool.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah, you should just go ahead and get it anyway. That thing is awesome.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Looking at bikes for friends and I found this:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/2556812440.html

Shouldn't that be closer to $1000? His price seems pretty high for a cookie-cutter cruiser standard that's 30 years old.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

AncientTV posted:

Looking at bikes for friends and I found this:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/2556812440.html

Shouldn't that be closer to $1000? His price seems pretty high for a cookie-cutter cruiser standard that's 30 years old.

Ya, that's how much I paid for mine (82, immaculate condition) 5 years ago or so.

It was also a piece of poo poo and I hated it. Gutless and crappy.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Backov posted:

It was also a piece of poo poo and I hated it. Gutless and crappy.

Thanks for the quick review, guess I'll pass on this one, haha.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Another:

SV650S k7 w/5400 miles.

Looks like it was dropped on the right side, the frame slider has a little rash, and I'm pretty sure that's not a stock pipe. Looks like it took a pretty hard hit from a rock or something on the left side upper fairing near the headlight. Minor rash on the tail, with some retarded version of a fender eliminator. Tires look "aight", chain needs to be cleaned, pretty sure the front brake was never used. Talked them down from sticker of $3800 to getting it out the door for $3400.

Buy or pass?

e:Also it looks like the same retard that did the undertail tried to rattlecan the pipe black, but its been worn off?

e2:It's missing a bar end on the right and the one on the left is like... hanging out of the bar. What does that even mean?

invision fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 21, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
So, again, while on the hunt for bikes for friends, some guy emailed me about a few 750 turbos he has, and he's trying to get rid of the whole lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Frankfriendly/BIKES/1y.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Frankfriendly/BIKES/2turbos.jpg

Tell me why I shouldn't go throw my money at him.

edit: Two of the bikes have titles, and he has a shitload of spares and one-off parts.

edit2: I'm not sure how I didn't notice the added intercooler in the first photo, but apparently the guy modded that one with a bigger turbo and swapped the motor out for something I didn't understand that was bored out to 880cc. He claimed it did 150 in the 1/4 mile. Want.

edit3: Nevermind, he won't sell me just one of them.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 21, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How much?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
$3500 for the 3 bikes and all the parts

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

$3500 for the 3 bikes and all the parts

Offer 2800 or so, get the other 2 running, sell them for 1200-1500 each, and then enjoy your "free" turbo bike and spares!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That one that's had the newer rear wheel swapped in is definitely a keeper, it'd make life waaaaaaaay easier.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That one that's had the newer rear wheel swapped in is definitely a keeper, it'd make life waaaaaaaay easier.

Yeah, that's some newish GSX-R rear and suspension, and he also said that bike has a ZX-9r front end swap :fap:

And Z3n, he didn't bite. Seems pretty firm at 3500.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 21, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

AncientTV posted:

Yeah, that's some newish GSX-R rear and suspension, and he also said that bike has a ZX-9r front end swap :fap:

And Z3n, he didn't bite. Seems pretty firm at 3500.

Make sure that front end will work. Modern forks are often much shorter than what was on there originally. You can get weird handling otherwise (or it can be good, but tough to tell unless your ride it a bit first or the swap is a known quantity).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've gone from wanting to put a motor on my bike, to looking and mopeds and then finally here :). I'm looking for a little bike to get around town, doesn't need to be fast - just cheap. I really love the aesthetics of the Honda cb200t no luck finding one round my area and I hear parts are hard to find. What would be a good alternative to the Honda?

Budget $1,000 (preferably under).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I've gone from wanting to put a motor on my bike, to looking and mopeds and then finally here :). I'm looking for a little bike to get around town, doesn't need to be fast - just cheap. I really love the aesthetics of the Honda cb200t no luck finding one round my area and I hear parts are hard to find. What would be a good alternative to the Honda?

Budget $1,000 (preferably under).

What's your area and your mechanical experience?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Z3n posted:

What's your area and your mechanical experience?

Santa Cruz, CA. Not much really, but I feel like I'm fairly mechanically inclined if I had to fix/replace something basic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check BARF for a cheap ride. Beginner bikes will pop up there for a song. Don't worry overmuch about style or type, just get a cheap, relatively reliable bike, or you're gonna spend a lot more time working on it than riding.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Z3n posted:

Check BARF for a cheap ride. Beginner bikes will pop up there for a song. Don't worry overmuch about style or type, just get a cheap, relatively reliable bike, or you're gonna spend a lot more time working on it than riding.

Thanks. I guess my second question is what would you consider an easy to find reliable bike? Anything specific?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Thanks. I guess my second question is what would you consider an easy to find reliable bike? Anything specific?

Ninja 250, 500, gs500. Or a smaller dualsport if you're not planning on hitting the freeways.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've been lurking in this thread for months, and am finally taking the Basic Rider Course this weekend, so I've been checking CL daily for potential bikes. I know the general recommendation is a Ninja or sv650 or something of the like, but I'm really looking for something smaller like those bikes, but in a standard style, maybe a UJM?

Is it a bad idea to get an older bike? I don't have much experience working on bikes, but I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I think I could figure things out.

I will probably be using the bike to commute occasionally, and there is a fair amount of highway involved, so I was hoping to find something a tiny bit bigger that wouldn't struggle as much on the highway.

What does CA think of a bike like this as a first bike?

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/2554104673.html

1982 CB450 Nighthawk. I love the look of this thing.

Also, I'm located in Massachusetts. Anyone know of any good local forums that isn't full of meatheads?

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 23, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Any opinions on the F800GS? I think once I sell the VFR, the DRZ may need to be replaced with something with a bit more power and comfort but I like the riding position.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Edit: Copied copied from ST thread but makes more sense here.

A little bit of input.
I'm really torn on a couple of bikes.

I found a virtually brand new, showroom condition ABS/Traction control 2010 Concours in that sexy blue with only 1500KMs (less than 1K miles) for a good deal. It's also about 1000 KMs away from me... which equates to about $300 in airfare or drive the truck and throw it in the back.

I also found a 2007 ABS FJR in virtually identical condition that I could probably get for about $2500 less. It has 4500KMs (give or take). It also has the bonus of being only about 2 hours away.

I'm really torn. I know the 2010 Concours that was tweaked to address the complaints about the redesign has had really good reviews... as in, usually in the running for top sport tourer. The ABS and traction control in particular are supposed to be phenomenal.

That said, the FJR is a little more mature and no slouch. Usually 2nd in a few of the comparos I've seen and it's a great bike too for all intents and purposes.

The money isn't really a huge deal for me, but I'd be lying if I said it had ZERO weight.

I am curious as to thoughts between the two. Especially from people that have first hand knowledge with them.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 24, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Zubumafoo posted:

Is it a bad idea to get an older bike? I don't have much experience working on bikes, but I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I think I could figure things out.

I will probably be using the bike to commute occasionally, and there is a fair amount of highway involved, so I was hoping to find something a tiny bit bigger that wouldn't struggle as much on the highway.

Also, I'm located in Massachusetts. Anyone know of any good local forums that isn't full of meatheads?

I think you're making a rod for your own back looking at 30 year old machines, at least if you're buying it to ride rather than as the vehicular equivalent of sudoku.

If you're buying something to use on the highway, a fairing will make your life much easier, especially in spring and fall. It will also generally mean lower fuel consumption. On both of the above counts, a 5-10 year old Ninja 250 or 500 will be much better than an ancient bike of indeterminate provenance. For which half the parts catalog is no longer available. If you absolutely must have a naked bike, an adult-owned Yamaha Diversion (Seca II?) or even a Suzuki GS500 will be so much more likely to get you to your destination.

As far as good local forums, this is going back a few years for me, but try

http://www.nestreetriders.com/

Unless something has changed greatly in the last few years, the guy who runs it used to live in the back of beyond in NH with a monster truck, ferrets and a family. Not exactly icy hot stuntaz on "Jicksers", if that's what you mean by meatheads. They used to do semi-organised ride outs as well and probably still do.

If you want to do any track riding, these are good folks

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/

A lot of the people who run that were on NE street riders and a forum/mailing list called "sport riders of new england", which may or may not still be operating (site's down for me right now), and despite the name was again a bunch of reasonably responsible adults who liked going out and riding bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Saga posted:

Advice

You're probably right with the older bike, just figured I would throw it out there. The only problem I have with the Ninja is I'm really just not a fan of sport bikes. I also have nothing against a bike with fairings.

Any recommendations on something that would be more of a standard-type bike, and not bad for a first bike? I realize that maybe I'm just being too drat picky but I would think there's something out there like that.