Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Celebrations ongoing in Benghazi. This must be a pretty proud moment for the Libyan rebels. Quite inspiring. I'm moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why do we have 24 hour news stations if none of the news stations are covering incredibly important world events?

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother looking at any of the standard news outlets to find out about ongoing events - they're guaranteed to be drivelling about nothing at all.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AJA is now reporting mortars being fired into the Tajoura district by Gaddafi forces. If you've not seen it, here's my twitter list of journalists in Libya.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Brown Moses posted:

AJA is now reporting mortars being fired into the Tajoura district by Gaddafi forces. If you've not seen it, here's my twitter list of journalists in Libya.

Is there a reason why AJE's coverage seems to be so different?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I find AJA has a somewhat less strict editorial policy than AJE.

Denzer
May 15, 2009
Brown Moses I just wanted to join in with the people thanking you for all your work in this thread. Incredible job.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

At least this should all be over before my wife gives birth.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From Twitter:

quote:

Caller from Tripoli to BBC Confirms Soug al jum'a, one of the largest districts of Tripoli is under their control
And from the Rixos:

quote:

barrages of sustained gunfire and sporadic explosions can be heard in the distance in Tripoli.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Brown Moses posted:

Hey, congratulations!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

The fact that you are the person to go to for this along with that makes your job even more impressive. You're doing a hell of a job. You should do this for a living.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Any bets on what NATO will do once Gaddafi leaves?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Been :f5:ing this thread all night.
Watching history being made owns.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Man, the defected guy Jalloud is on TV right now and he is angry as hell.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Xandu posted:

Man, the defected guy Jalloud is on TV right now and he is angry as hell.

Who was he again? I'm terrible with names both inside and outside of everyday life.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/20/abdel-salam-jalloud-defection-libya

Used to be really important in the Gaddafi government and helped bring him to power.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Unverified Al Ahrar footage of rebel flag flying over Tripoli airport, evidently.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Speaking of flags, the Israeli flag hanging out of the embassy in Giza, Egypt has been removed. Some guy climbed up 8-10 stories with no equipment and removed it, to wild cheers from the crowd below. Protest/sit-in is still in full-swing at the embassy with somewhere between 6000-10000 people right in front of it. More protests all over Egypt over the death of the 5 Egyptian soldiers by Israeli fire.

In another twist, the government has definitely decided to recall it's ambassador from Israel. The protests all over Egypt are calling for the Israeli ambassador to be expelled from Egypt as well. This situation is getting a lot hotter.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gadaffi forces have retaken an area of Besra, according to the rebels.

quote:

Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 04:36 - Libya

Amid intensive shelling Libya's rebels said on Saturday they had retreated from the industrial section of the strategic oil port of Brega, a day after capturing it from Gadaffi's military.

In an indication of the challenge still facing the rebels, military spokesman Colonel Ahmed Bani told reporters in Benghazi that his troops fell back after claiming control in the eastern oil port, losing the industrial section to Gadhafi's forces.

Brega has frequently changed hands throughout the conflict.

They're not quite dead yet

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Saif al-Gaddafi is speaking right now.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Namarrgon posted:

Isn't the whole idea of codenames for operations so that you can't figure out what they are about from the name alone?

Code Names just aren't what they used to be. Back in WWII you had Operation Super Gymnast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gymnast . The invasion of Nicaragua? Operation Just Cause? (Hey guys, our cause is just) (Why are we doing this? Just 'cause we need a boost in the polls) Operation Iraqi Freedom?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coalition_military_operations_of_the_Iraq_War#2003
Then in OIF you had "Operation Northern Delay". C'mon...I mean a more competent army would've manhandled any forces who'd telegraphed their plans beforehand. Although "Operation All-American Tiger" was pretty :rock:

As far as I see it, the rebels are people fighting to overthrow a mad tyrant who'd neglected many of them for decades, but a lot of the TNC are opportunistic, privatization-hungry neoliberal scum of the kind who'd jump a sinking ship only to say to the captain of the rescue vessel "I've taken the liberty of drafting you a new economic plan". They're not the leaders of the rebellion, they just like acting like it. If that makes me LF as gently caress, so be it.

e: what's Saif saying? I'd love to see this end Reservoir Dogs style with Saif, Moammar and Khamis,

Zappatista fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 21, 2011

empiricus
Apr 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh
What's Saif saying? CNN is showing boring footage of earlier today and I don't know what else to watch for decent news.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Ham posted:

Speaking of flags, the Israeli flag hanging out of the embassy in Giza, Egypt has been removed. Some guy climbed up 8-10 stories with no equipment and removed it, to wild cheers from the crowd below. Protest/sit-in is still in full-swing at the embassy with somewhere between 6000-10000 people right in front of it. More protests all over Egypt over the death of the 5 Egyptian soldiers by Israeli fire.

In another twist, the government has definitely decided to recall it's ambassador from Israel. The protests all over Egypt are calling for the Israeli ambassador to be expelled from Egypt as well. This situation is getting a lot hotter.

The last thing the world needs is a poo poo show between Egypt and Israel right now. If Egypt and Israel go to war, the Palestinians can kiss whatever state they want goodbye, and a poo poo ton of Israelis and Egyptians will die for nothing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

empiricus posted:

What's Saif saying? CNN is showing boring footage of earlier today and I don't know what else to watch for decent news.

Normally I'd say watch Al Jazeera, but they aren't covering it right now.

Edit: Still seriously go to http://english.aljazeera.net

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

AJE's been weird today. They spent a long time focusing on the hikers in Iran and seem to have barely covered Libya.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Xandu posted:

AJE's been weird today. They spent a long time focusing on the hikers in Iran and seem to have barely covered Libya.

They're covering it now, though they have only mentioned Saif's speech in passing so far.

Edit: And as soon as I post they go to Somalia. Not that covering Somalia is inappropriate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xandu posted:

They were way better than CNN/MSNBC while I was watching, but still cut away to regular programming documentary blocks and an extended thing about some rugby and cricket matches or something. I remember AJE being a lot better during the height of the Egypt revolts.

KashiMane
Feb 22, 2011

by angerbeet

Taerkar posted:

All that I can think of when I read your posts is this. How old and tattered is your Che shirt that you're wearing while you spout this stuff?

I'm sorry man... I really am. I majored in political science and I was introduced to western Imperialism. Should I be getting a refund from my university? This is devastating for me, I didn't know that my university would lie to me. Should I be burning up my Noam Chomsky books? He must be an evil anti-humanitarian Nazi who made up the mythical tale of western imperialism so oppressed peoples all over the world won't be saved by MERICA.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

IRQ posted:

They were way better than CNN/MSNBC while I was watching, but still cut away to regular programming documentary blocks and an extended thing about some rugby and cricket matches or something. I remember AJE being a lot better during the height of the Egypt revolts.

They kind of hosed up at the beginning of the Tunisian revolt too. It seems that sometimes AJE gets blindsided and it takes them a day or so to realize what earth shattering development they should follow. As I said, after covering Libya they cut to the famine in Somalia, which is hardly unimportant. While I would prefer they not cover sports events while fighting has broken out in an important national capitol, it can be hard to retool shows on a moments notice, especially after they've worked hard to get content. There's no excuse for CNN though. These days it seems they just grab their news off the internet.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

KashiMane posted:

I'm sorry man... I really am. I majored in political science and I was introduced to western Imperialism. Should I be getting a refund from my university? This is devastating for me, I didn't know that my university would lie to me. Should I be burning up my Noam Chomsky books? He must be an evil anti-humanitarian Nazi who made up the mythical tale of western imperialism so oppressed peoples all over the world won't be saved by MERICA.

Ya your just a dick kid, got anything to add to the current events beyond your bullshit that you put in the thread?

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

KashiMane posted:

Which Political Science department did you attend? What country?

KashiMane
Feb 22, 2011

by angerbeet

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Which Political Science department did you attend? What country?

State ran university in FLORIDA and this was taught in an entry level class (Dynamics of world politics), so... I guess I'll be turning in my university for going rogue, could they be tied with Al'Qaida maybe? What do we do about Noam Chomsky, he's a big believer in western imperialism, should we turn him in too?

Darth123123 posted:

Ya your just a dick kid, got anything to add to the current events beyond your bullshit that you put in the thread?

I went to a university, so not only am I better than you, smarter than you, better looking than you, maybe even a couple inches longer down there than you, but your childish insults don't work on me.

On a serious note though, try reading a Noam Chomsky book until it hurts too much.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Love that video of the kid using the green flag to wipe down cars on AJE.

I hadn't been following the conflict that closely lately, but I was stunned after reading that the Nafusa group had annihilated regime resistance throughout the west, and then was equally stunned after they captured and actually held the cities & towns surrounding Tripoli.

I like how the NTC was saying they were settling in for a siege while simultaneously (maybe, unconfirmed) smuggling in weapons for a general uprising. I thought I misread the BBC article today when they were saying there was major combat inside the city. That's way more organization than I would have thought possible on the rebel side.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

KashiMane posted:

On a serious note though, try reading a Noam Chomsky book until it hurts too much.

Do you think you're the first person in this thread to read Chomsky or something? Not everyone here is aching for a NATO-driven post-Gaddafi Libya, you know.

That said this thread is one of the most up-to-date resources on an under-reported major global issue.

KashiMane
Feb 22, 2011

by angerbeet

MothraAttack posted:

Do you think you're the first person in this thread to read Chomsky or something? Not everyone here is aching for a NATO-driven post-Gaddafi Libya, you know.

That said this thread is one of the most up-to-date resources on an under-reported major global issue.

I'm the first person to read Chomsky WHILE attending my university WHILE it was being infiltrated by Al'Qaida. Beat that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

KashiMane posted:

I'm the first person to read Chomsky WHILE attending my university WHILE it was being infiltrated by Al'Qaida. Beat that.

You're really not contributing anything at all, please stop.

KashiMane
Feb 22, 2011

by angerbeet

How are u posted:

You're really not contributing anything at all, please stop.

Fine, I'll just come back to collect my apologies later. Humanitarian missions are awesome though, I totally feel for you guys.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grumperfish posted:

Love that video of the kid using the green flag to wipe down cars on AJE.

I hadn't been following the conflict that closely lately, but I was stunned after reading that the Nafusa group had annihilated regime resistance throughout the west, and then was equally stunned after they captured and actually held the cities & towns surrounding Tripoli.

I like how the NTC was saying they were settling in for a siege while simultaneously (maybe, unconfirmed) smuggling in weapons for a general uprising. I thought I misread the BBC article today when they were saying there was major combat inside the city. That's way more organization than I would have thought possible on the rebel side.

Yeah, it looks like Gaddafi and his thugs were taken completely by surprise by the fairly well-organized 5th column that the rebels have in Tripoli. I hope that they can make the most of it and seize the capitol in the confusion.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arkane posted:

Why do we have 24 hour news stations if none of the news stations are covering incredibly important world events?

Celebrity weddings, bullshit American political pissing contests, reality show results. You know, the important stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, it looks like Gaddafi and his thugs were taken completely by surprise by the fairly well-organized 5th column that the rebels have in Tripoli. I hope that they can make the most of it and seize the capitol in the confusion.

I'll be surprised if he pulls through this unscathed. In fact I hope like hell the 'freedom fighters' are able to capitalize and topple his regime.

• Locked thread