Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

he killed my Hornswoggle In A Head-Dress joke by not reading ahead :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Did the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio feature a record number of Dave interruptions?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Possibly, yes. Either way the first 25 minutes or so was loving horrendous. Bryan and Dave stumbling over each other and doing the worst sort of pussyfooting around the subject of steroids. Constantly going "but there are guys who..." and then trailing off or waffling back and forth. It's as if the mere word "steroids" could kill them or something.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Beeswax posted:

Possibly, yes. Either way the first 25 minutes or so was loving horrendous. Bryan and Dave stumbling over each other and doing the worst sort of pussyfooting around the subject of steroids. Constantly going "but there are guys who..." and then trailing off or waffling back and forth. It's as if the mere word "steroids" could kill them or something.

I don't know if they were having the same problem but I find guys in the business do everything possible to avoid accusing a guy of being on the juice. I never had that problem because if a guy wants to use steroids, in my mind go ahead. It's a travesty these guys can't have doctors watching them and supplying them and have to get it on the streets. Then again, I'm a dirty lefty.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

^^ 100% with you there. If they can juice in a safe way and under a doctor's supervision, then play on playa. Really though, it's the somas and other painkillers that are the bigger problems in the business, and that's tied to the grueling schedule they work and the culture of 'working through it'. Personally I'd be happy to see more Miz/Subway promos if the extra revenue meant that they could cut back the house show schedule, but this probably won't happen. When the WWE is flush, Vince gets another vanity project brainstorm and then WBF.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I don't know if they were having the same problem but I find guys in the business do everything possible to avoid accusing a guy of being on the juice. I never had that problem because if a guy wants to use steroids, in my mind go ahead. It's a travesty these guys can't have doctors watching them and supplying them and have to get it on the streets. Then again, I'm a dirty lefty.

It's not the fact that they want to it's the fact that Vince wants them to so they're forced to take them as a matter of course.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

It's not that they can't accuse certain guys of juicing, it's that they seem unable to, even in general terms, say something as direct as "people juice". It's a constant stream of "And there are clearly guys who... well I shouldn't say clearly, but clearly... you know. It's like... Let me put it this way, I see a lot of guys at the gym who are clearly on stuff and you can tell. But...". On and on and loving on.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I just want Dave to take an etiquette class or something so he finally learns how to have a proper conversation.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's not the fact that they want to it's the fact that Vince wants them to so they're forced to take them as a matter of course.

True, that was a rampant problem. WWE was one of the top dogs (and is now the only) and if you wanted to work for them, you had to be willing to artificially enhance yourself, man or woman.

I always remember the story of how the WWE had zero interest in Louie Spiccoli until he got on the gas.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

flashy_mcflash posted:

^^ 100% with you there. If they can juice in a safe way and under a doctor's supervision, then play on playa. Really though, it's the somas and other painkillers that are the bigger problems in the business, and that's tied to the grueling schedule they work and the culture of 'working through it'. Personally I'd be happy to see more Miz/Subway promos if the extra revenue meant that they could cut back the house show schedule, but this probably won't happen. When the WWE is flush, Vince gets another vanity project brainstorm and then WBF.
They don't even need to cut down the schedule. Creative should just stop acting like everyone who isn't Cena or Orton is an expendable jobber whom they can yo-yo as much as they want. There IS place for more than 2 superstars on the roster and it gives more people a chance to take time off since the company has backups. If Cena continues at this pace and gets injured, Wrestlemania's main event is screwed (and I think Undertaker's at a point where he can say having use of his arm is more important than another gruelling 25 min match just because Vince/Dunn/Stephanie/Gewirtz can't commit to pushing anyone for more than a couple of weeks and creating those new stars they keep mentioning at every stockholders' conference call).

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
SWF read out my smarky pro-Punk email. Made my afternoon at work and I name dropped the PSP :)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Listening to Art of Wrestling with Tracy Smothers right now and it's awesome. I love listening to Tracy talk about stuff, he just sounds like such a cool old guy who has been having fun his entire life. It's like sitting down with your grandpa and listening to him tell stories.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Rankine Over Gash posted:

SWF read out my smarky pro-Punk email. Made my afternoon at work and I name dropped the PSP :)

You did! They of course didn't get it but still.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Phenix Rising posted:

Listening to Art of Wrestling with Tracy Smothers right now and it's awesome. I love listening to Tracy talk about stuff, he just sounds like such a cool old guy who has been having fun his entire life. It's like sitting down with your grandpa and listening to him tell stories.

Bit of a derail, but I heard a story from my brother's friend who ordered a pizza in the area Tracy resides and the delivery man shows up and it's loving Tracy Smothers.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ChampRamp posted:

Bit of a derail, but I heard a story from my brother's friend who ordered a pizza in the area Tracy resides and the delivery man shows up and it's loving Tracy Smothers.

He talks about that in the interview! Apparently he has two jobs right now ("to pay for my wrestling habit"), one of them being pizza delivery guy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lance Storm. Holier than thou? Of course! Still entertaining? For sure.

Edit: Jesus. The end of Bryan and Vinny. :staredog:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 19, 2011

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LordPants posted:

Edit: Jesus. The end of Bryan and Vinny. :staredog:

Are you referring to the Dave Meltzer Story drop?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone put a song together of Bryan ringing someone on the podcast to Abba's "Ring Ring."

They then spent the rest of the episode playing Dancing Queen and singing along. :staredog: While Vinny made Abba album title puns.

it was awesome

edit: spoilers for spoilers.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Does anyone know where the "free money" for Granny's lotto segments came from?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Euthyphro posted:

Does anyone know where the "free money" for Granny's lotto segments came from?

They found it on the ground on their crazy Vegas adventure

j. fed
Nov 4, 2008

LordPants posted:

Someone put a song together of Bryan ringing someone on the podcast to Abba's "Ring Ring."

They then spent the rest of the episode playing Dancing Queen and singing along. :staredog: While Vinny made Abba album title puns.

it was awesome

edit: spoilers for spoilers.

This times a million. Quote of the show: "I remember my sister playing ABBA nonstop as a five year old in 1980. However, I have no idea who the TNA Knockouts Champ is."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I would listen to mash-up album with GnR called ABBAtite for Destruction.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Is it just me or has Todd been awesome lately?

He's been so much more lively, it's like he's a totally different person.

Edit: Also, on a humorous note I was listening to an observer live from the early 00's and I recognised one of the callers voices, it was the guy from the LAW who always calls up to talk about the Diva's doing the very same a decade earlier to Dave Meltzer. I laughed.

Unsurprisingly Meltzer was much more professional about his interest for that particular facet of pro wrestling.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 20, 2011

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

Is it just me or has Todd been awesome lately?

He's been so much more lively, it's like he's a totally different person.

Edit: Also, on a humorous note I was listening to an observer live from the early 00's and I recognised one of the callers voices, it was the guy from the LAW who always calls up to talk about the Diva's doing the very same a decade earlier to Dave Meltzer. I laughed.

is it jim from virginia?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Just listened to the B&V show featuring Abba. That ending is up there with the one where they got rickrollled by a shout-out and Bryan decided he was just gonna play the whole song and live mix it with Khali drops.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Eye-pads, Roll Out The Barrel-Rolls and "it was OK" ratings. Granny rules.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I read some Granny hate on here, so I was worried I'd hate the first Bryan and Vinnie show I listened to. Three minutes in, Granny's definition of an iPad makes me question everyone in this thread.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

I read some Granny hate on here, so I was worried I'd hate the first Bryan and Vinnie show I listened to. Three minutes in, Granny's definition of an iPad makes me question everyone in this thread.

Granny is awesome for the first 6 months or so. Eventually you've heard it all before and for many people you start skipping her segments.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pretty much, yeah. It gets pretty repetitive.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Rodney the Piper posted:

An eyepad!

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Does anybody know what happened to Who's Slamming Who? Last time I heard Tommy was getting married/other commitments so he didn't really have the time to continue it. That's not really important though, I just want to know if there is any recent Jim Cornette stuff out there.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

yea basically what mrp said. she is real funny and old. but then bein old gets old.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

The Shaman of Cum posted:

is it jim from virginia?
You know it, bro.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I sometimes try to give the callers on The Law a chance because, hey, they're wrestling fans like me, maybe they have some interesting opinions to share. But something inevitably happens like this week, where the very first guy that called decided to ask the hosts if they could tell him how to get free tickets to Survivor Series and whether they remembered a sign he took to a WWE PPV in 2006, or something, and I go back to skipping straight to the Dave Meltzer segment.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Yeah, I hope LAW understand how valuable that Meltzer segment is, I'm sure without it their audience would be a lot smaller because there wouldn't be enough redeeming features about the show to justify listening to it. Saying that though, LAW is by far the best free news orientated wrestling pod cast I've come across, although that's not saying much when you look at their competition.

At times it seems like Wai is the only reason I listen to LAW's podcasts, I do enjoy the Mouth a lot too come to think of it and appreciate the role he plays in acting as a counter point and dampening the vivid odour of rear end in a top hat that Agnew emanates. I'd be quite happy to do away with Agnew and Pollack. Agnew is just a ridiculous, ignorant man-child and although Pollack is a decent guy it seems and a hard worker he just tries too hard to be Alvarez 2.0 and has unfortunately not realised yet that he does not have the charisma to pull it off.

Oh and concerning Granny:

I've been a subscriber to the Observer since the start of this year and I still enjoy Granny segments, I think Bryan just needs to be more conscious of how to bring out the entertaining aspects of Granny's persona. Doing stuff like the lotto every week is not a good idea if you want to get Granny over with the audience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Review-A-Wai is usually pretty alright. Pollock isn't amazingly hilarious, but Wai is an amazing straightman for him and the material they review is usually interesting and/or humorous enough to make up for any deficiencies in their act.

That said I don't listen to the LAW/Review-a-RAW/Review-an-Impact

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Fun episode this week of Smart Wrestling Fan.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dshban posted:

Fun episode this week of Smart Wrestling Fan.

Supportin dis. The Boogerman fanfiction is the funniest poo poo.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Granny accepted my friend request on facebook and the sun is a little brighter today. I can't wait to hear B, V, and G destroy my name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Karl Stern is doing a series on the History of Wrestling. His first two shows have covered the entire pioneer era up to Gotch/Hackenschmidt. This is a period in wrestling that is only rarely covered and most fans have literally no clue about it. Definitely check it out.

• Locked thread