Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Picked up a big rear end screw today. Diablo Strada with about 8k on it. Can I get away with plugging it for a thousand more miles? Or maybe taking it to cyclegear for an "inside patch job"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it's already got 8k on it, why not just replace it? After you spend 30$ on mount/dismount, plus the patch cost, you're halfway to a new tire.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
THAT has 8,000 miles on it???

Are you sure you own a bike and not a magic carpet?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Get it plugged. Cheap and lasts way beyond the remaining life of the tire.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Actually now that I'm checking it's closer to 6k. They're supposed to get 10-12.

Z3n posted:

If it's already got 8k on it, why not just replace it? After you spend 30$ on mount/dismount, plus the patch cost, you're halfway to a new tire.

Well cyclegear doesn't carry any ST tires in stock (Angels/PR2s), so I was hoping I could patch it from the outside and it would be good enough to go to work while I wait for ordered tires to get here.

Cyclegear doesn't do plugs either, do I guess I'm on my own. These are the plugs I have to use.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've seen those get people home. If that's what you need to do, it's what you need to do, but I'd be checking air pressure every ride.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Since I have my WR250R rims set up as tubeless (Tubliss system), I used plugs twice on my Alaska trip, and this was with weak tube-type off-road tires running at variable pressures. I had no issues with loss of air on either front or rear and used the tires until they wore out. You'll see similar stories from folks on ADVrider on much larger motorcycles.

The only note is that some people have had bad experience with the mushroom type plugs. I would recommend the boring old rubber string plugs from the auto store instead.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I mainly bought that kit as a get-me-home deal. The thing is I'm not stranded and not broke so I just took the wheel off and threw it in my truck; I'll stop at cyclegear on the way home tomorrow as they have a pirelli angel in stock in my size.

I've never really liked the idea of running differing tires front and rear, mileage or otherwise and I always liked replacing both at once, but is it really an issue if my front is 6k and rear is 0? Not only do they not have a front tire in stock, but it feels like wasting money on a commuter/daily transportation bike when it could go another 6k.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Gnaghi posted:

Cyclegear doesn't do plugs either, do I guess I'm on my own. These are the plugs I have to use.
Yeah, we can't do plugs/patches due to liability.

quote:

I've never really liked the idea of running differing tires front and rear, mileage or otherwise and I always liked replacing both at once, but is it really an issue if my front is 6k and rear is 0? Not only do they not have a front tire in stock, but it feels like wasting money on a commuter/daily transportation bike when it could go another 6k.
Not much of an issue. You generally wear through 2 rears for every 1 front tire so you'd be putting a new rear on with a used front regardless.

My rule of thumb is that I'll mix/match tires as long as my front is stickier than the rear. I can handle a rear tire spinning up or whatever, but it's much harder to save a front end slide. Same goes for patching. If it's a small hole in a rear tire, I don't have any problems with plugging it (as long as it's never going to the track). I had my front tire blowout at ~90mph earlier this year and it wasn't particularly fun. Didn't bother trying to plug that.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

-Inu- posted:

Yeah, we can't do plugs/patches due to liability.
Not much of an issue. You generally wear through 2 rears for every 1 front tire so you'd be putting a new rear on with a used front regardless.

My rule of thumb is that I'll mix/match tires as long as my front is stickier than the rear. I can handle a rear tire spinning up or whatever, but it's much harder to save a front end slide. Same goes for patching. If it's a small hole in a rear tire, I don't have any problems with plugging it (as long as it's never going to the track). I had my front tire blowout at ~90mph earlier this year and it wasn't particularly fun. Didn't bother trying to plug that.

Fronts don't tend to square off, unless maybe you have a tourer or a UJM. So really a worn front plus a new rear IME isn't likely to upset the bike more than a worn front already upsets the bike.

On a modern bike, saving proper supermotos (or anything else that's in a perpetual borderline tankslapper when cruising in a straight line - ZX6R streetfighter with badly knackered head bearings?), the worst thing that's realistically going to happen is that you'll pick up handling characteristics that you don't like, but they probably won't be what you'd call dangerous, even if the bike is used hard.

Really, even if you have noticeably different grip characteristics at both ends, problems can be avoided basically by exercising common sense. If you put a Mez4 on the front of a bike with a Racetech or a Rennsport on the back and try to push the front like you were on a trackday tyre, you may find yourself in a hedge. Equally, if you reversed the order above, you would expect to be able to trail deep into corners with reasonable confidence but to moderate your use of throttle coming out.

I've run completely different brands and tyre types on track days and never had a problem, so I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about. I do generally follow Inu's rule of thumb (stickier front) for obvious reasons. Obviously if you have unlimited pots of money you can have matching sets of everything and replace them every 500 miles or if they get rained on/a small pebble gets embedded in a sipe, but for those of us with budgetary limitations, you can get by without.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
So i've got just over 250 miles on my v star 950 and I am starting to notice a rather strange sound. The best way to describe it is it sounds like bits of sand being kicked up against the underside of the tank. Noticed while riding with a passenger on Saturday, but I have heard it several times since then. I thought maybe some wire had become stripped and was arcing, but I checked all the wiring and everything looks good. The sound is intermittent and random. The only thing I have done to the bike recently was take off the stock exhaust and replaced it with a V&H slipon for about 5 minutes until my neighbors came out and complained, then I put the stock exhaust back on. I looked under the tank to see if maybe it really was sand or gravel getting kicked up against something, but I see no sand/rocks/etc anywhere under there. Anyone have any idea what this could be? The bike is running like normal (as far as I know, I bought it new and have only had it a few weeks so the other sounds its making have been there since I first rode it away from the dealership.)

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Is there anything loose that could be flapping around in the wind?

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Thought it was the license plate frame, but i tightened it down and the problem persists. I'll double check everything again though. Its just weird that it happens at random speeds at random times

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gnaghi posted:

Actually now that I'm checking it's closer to 6k. They're supposed to get 10-12.

Well cyclegear doesn't carry any ST tires in stock (Angels/PR2s), so I was hoping I could patch it from the outside and it would be good enough to go to work while I wait for ordered tires to get here.

I plugged my Vulcan's tire with stuff like that, then rode it both ways Seattle-Sturgis, then put another season on it, then gave the bike away with the tires still on it. If you don't mess it up putting it in, it should be fairly solid.

I've seen that tire slime/sealant stuff work great too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

crazyivan45 posted:

So i've got just over 250 miles on my v star 950 and I am starting to notice a rather strange sound. The best way to describe it is it sounds like bits of sand being kicked up against the underside of the tank. Noticed while riding with a passenger on Saturday, but I have heard it several times since then. I thought maybe some wire had become stripped and was arcing, but I checked all the wiring and everything looks good. The sound is intermittent and random. The only thing I have done to the bike recently was take off the stock exhaust and replaced it with a V&H slipon for about 5 minutes until my neighbors came out and complained, then I put the stock exhaust back on. I looked under the tank to see if maybe it really was sand or gravel getting kicked up against something, but I see no sand/rocks/etc anywhere under there. Anyone have any idea what this could be? The bike is running like normal (as far as I know, I bought it new and have only had it a few weeks so the other sounds its making have been there since I first rode it away from the dealership.)

Do certain throttle angle/engine load combinations make it happen? What you describe sounds a little like ping/predetonation. If you aren't using high octane gas, switch up to supreme 91 or 92 octane and see if it goes away. If you're already on supreme, try a different brand fuel and see if it goes away.

My vstar 1300 makes a noise like pebbles are hitting the underside of the tank when I hit bumps. I am told it's the springs flopping around inside the forks when they extend quickly like over potholes or other sudden dips. Other people have reported cross-threaded steering head nuts causing a similar noise.

Have you done the 600mi break-in service? If not, then I would be sure to point out the noise when you bring it in for that.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

TheFonz posted:

I'm sure it has been asked before but I need a bike lock. I'm parking my bike overnight in Chicago and want to buy at least a little piece of mind. I'm looking at something sub $100, my bike is only a 2006 SV650S, so I'd be sad, but not devastated if it was stolen.

Also, my buddy has a proximity alarm on his GIXXXXXER and I'm not looking to go that crazy.

Anyone?

:(

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

TheFonz posted:

Anyone?

:(

Comprehensive.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A bike cover.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A guard Orc, straight outta the darkest depths of Mordor.

But comprehensive is the way to go.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Park next to more expensive bikes.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I already have comprehensive, and I'm Ork ugly, so I think we're good.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
So, 2 wheeled goons at large, whats the skinny on gas caps? I have an 86 Suzuki Katana 750 with stock tank and the little tab that you turn to remove the cap has finally given up and twisted completely off. I can still remove the cap by using the palm of my hand flat across the top of the cap, adding pressure and twisting. Usually about the 17th attempt it pops out and I'm all :shepicide:

How generic can one go or are all tanks and their respective caps unique?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Dear Cycle Asylum:

Why do people in Texas insist that their beat to poo poo 10 year old bikes are worth $2k over NADA/KBB value and refuse to believe otherwise?

To help others out, I've put together a list of commonly used phrases and their translation into plain english:

"Streetfighter'd" = "I wrecked, replaced some parts, and now I'm selling it because I'm scared"

"Previous Owner dropped in driveway" = "I wrecked, replaced some parts, and now I'm selling it because I'm scared"

"Lots of aftermarket goodies!" = "I wrecked, replaced some parts, and now I'm selling it because I'm scared"

"Light cosmetic damage" = "Plastics cracked and rashed up, missing footpeg, dent in pipe"

"Custom Paint Job!" = "My friend makes airbrush t-shirts at the fair, so I let him paint a big rear end joker face on the windscreen. The rest of the bike is dark sparkly puke green."

"Great price!" = "At least $1000 over what you should be paying. This is non-negotiable."

"Never raced/stunted" = "I love the sound of the engine bouncing off the rev limiter"

"Hate to see it go!" = "Please God take this piece of poo poo off of my hands before I kill myself or someone else on it"

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

invision posted:

Dear Cycle Asylum:

[people are idiots]

I was reading a local motorcyclist forum and the two latest classifieds are just stupid.

Some dude wants 9k USD for a '06 636 that's done 10k KM. That's just way too much for a Garage Queen.

Another poster (naive 16 year old) wants 6k for a '09 Ninja 250 that's done 26k KM, and has way too many mods done to it. There really is no point in modding a 250. Mods don't exactly increase the resale value, and if they do, you're a dick.

If I ever sold my bike, I'd be listing it for a very fair price. Greedy pricks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My favorites are the Seattle area ads with "never ridden in the rain".

Translated: "this bike sits and sits and sits and sits"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Only driven to the track on Sunday!

Never lugged!

Front wheel less than 100 miles!

690 Ads are the best.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A guy put his army cousin's '04 FZ6 on a local board for 4500 starting, and dropped it to 4000 not long ago after no bites.

I don't get it, 30 seconds on craigslist would show them that the bike is closer to 3k and that there are much newer FZ6s going for around 4k.

"adult driven" though...

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
New Favorite: "WELL TAKEN CARE OF AMAZING CONDITION" then uses a picture of the bike ON THE GODDAMN BEACH.

Poor poor bike ugh why do people do things like that to you :(

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

invision posted:

New Favorite: "WELL TAKEN CARE OF AMAZING CONDITION" then uses a picture of the bike ON THE GODDAMN BEACH.

But don't most extremely fast moving pieces of metal love sand, extreme humidity, and water???

I've been looking at bikes for over 3 weeks now on CL and can't for the life of me find one that fits exactly what I want so I'm a little frustrated with sifting through horrid ad after horrid ad. I've even thought about posting a few up here for comedic purposes but honestly, they're too stupid to be worth exposing more people to.

My favorite sales pitch is easily the adult manchild driven one though. As if your bike that spent 5 minutes in neutral while at redline while you showed it off to your colleagues/friends/girlfriend/whoever to the point where it was close to blasting coolant all over the place(saw this last night) is somehow better off than the rest of the identical bikes on CL.

At least in LA most of the supersports around 4-6000 just happen to be taken with a lovely out of focus cell-phone camera as to avoid people noticing the scratches and rusting chain. Don't get me wrong, all the ads aren't like this as there are a couple up with very nice pictures, formatted and punctuated posts with lots of information about that specific motorcycle beyond more than "it's fast LOLOLOL" but they seem to be few and far between. /rant

This is where I'm asking for help guys. I'm working 40-50 hours a week and my only time to look at bikes is on lunch or after work before I go to sleep. That means after sifting through craigslist I don't have any more time to search for sites that let posters sell their bikes. Do any goons know of any LA specific / non specific motorcycle classified sites/forums with classifieds sections that are pretty active? BARF ads are a bit far for me so that's out of the question unfortunately. Are there any other CA motorcycle forums like BARF with large classified sections?

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 25, 2011

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Is there any inherent advantage or disadvantage to shaft drive vs chain drive?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not LA specific and it tends toward "adventure" bikes, but ADV Rider has a good sized classified section. You'll have to utilize the search engine to get bikes in your area, though. It's not broken down in any way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Is there any inherent advantage or disadvantage to shaft drive vs chain drive?

Shafties require less maintenance but also can have some odd characteristics on the power (shaft jack from the power going through the bevel gears). It's also very difficult to impossible to change the gearing. Chains require more maintenance, but it's easy to change the gearing. They're also generally cheap and easy to fix/replace.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
On the topic of stupid craigslist listings...

quote:

I am selling a 2006 CBR600RR with just 8300 miles on it. I am selling this car because I need money really bad! This bike has a CLEAN TITLE, NEVER HAS BEEN DROPPED! Registered till 2012, I am the second owner. I have babied this bike. I got the bike when it had 5000 miles on it and did an oil change and bought a new tire and a new battery because it was sitting for a bit. It runs amazing, and it looks really good. There are a couple scratches on the bike but nothing noticeable, small. Everything is stock on the bike and it looks good. What comes with the bike are three helmets, two riding bags for tank and back seat. I need the bike gone before Monday and I was selling it for 5000 but I have dropped the bike to 4900 FIRM. NOTHING LOWER THEN THAT, I HAVE PUT A LOT OF MONEY IN THIS BIKE. If you would like to test ride, please have money in hand. I don't care if you don't have a license to ride one; I am not going to ask. Thanks so much Josh

This whole listing was very odd. First he calls it a car, then he claims to have a put a lot of money into the bike yet it's stock. Oh, and who needs a license to ride this guys bike? Certainly not you!

Also Z3n, can you get that special throttle for any bike? Is there a site I could browse?
Edit: You were talking about them in another thread which I can't remember. It was the one that let you roll on the throttle normally at first then it would rev higher with less twist of the grip.

Whiteboy fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 25, 2011

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Whiteboy posted:

On the topic of stupid craigslist listings...

This whole listing was very odd. First he calls it a car, then he claims to have a put a lot of money into the bike yet it's stock. Oh, and who needs a license to ride this guys bike? Certainly not you!

Also Z3n, can you get that special throttle for any bike? Is there a site I could browse?
Edit: You were talking about them in another thread which I can't remember. It was the one that let you roll on the throttle normally at first then it would rev higher with less twist of the grip.

Not to steal that question, but I think you're thinking of throttle cams?

http://www.g2ergo.com/

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

JP Money posted:

Not to steal that question, but I think you're thinking of throttle cams?

http://www.g2ergo.com/

I'm not sure if it was that. I think it was his response to someone talking about arm fatigue or something from having to twist the throttle and readjust grip often and what not.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
It is that, he just called it a quick turn throttle, that site seems to be mostly dirtbikes but they're available for a lot of bikes. sometimes you can use one from a different model. R6 tubes are common swaps for sv650s

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
When the bike is in gear and off with the clutch in, should there be some drag from the clutch while rolling the bike? 02 GSF600.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Ziploc posted:

When the bike is in gear and off with the clutch in, should there be some drag from the clutch while rolling the bike? 02 GSF600.

If it's cold, yes. (The bike, not the weather)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

echomadman posted:

It is that, he just called it a quick turn throttle, that site seems to be mostly dirtbikes but they're available for a lot of bikes. sometimes you can use one from a different model. R6 tubes are common swaps for sv650s

The ones I've personally used are R6 tubes on SVs, and an older model Z1000 (03-08, I believe) throttle tube on my GSX-R. Usually they're around $15-25 with the grip.

You can also DIY it, with something like this:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19866052/Quick-Turn-Throttle-Mod-DIY-With-PVC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

bladesamurai posted:

If it's cold, yes. (The bike, not the weather)

Bike sat overnight so it wasn't warm. Thank you.

I got all confused as it wasn't acting up when I ran it the other day. But this morning when I moved it in the garage I could feel the drag when in first with the clutch in.

WET CLUTCHES