Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

farraday posted:

Definite chance for it to end with a spec ops raid.

This is what I'm thinking as well. We know those assets are probably around somewhere, the rebels seem to be leaving it alone, and it's full of Westerners. I don't think anyone would mind the SAS and SEALs pulling off one quick mission in Libya, and that's about the best reason for one you can find. I'd actually rather that than a rebel assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AJE just reported this:

quote:

A rebel official told the Reuters news agency that fighting is underway in an area just south of Tripoli where Muammar Gaddafi may be hiding.
Where could he be?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A very interesting update about the situation west of Sirte

quote:

Libyan rebels are advancing on Sirte, the last major stronghold of pro-Gaddafi forces, reports Chris Stephen from Misrata, with opposition columns now 35 miles west of the city. He also has news about the Scud missiles being fired from Sirte towards Misrata. Chris writes:

quote:

Misrata Military Council reported only sporadic resistance as rebel units pushed down the main coastal highway that runs east, with spearheads now at the town of Al-Washka. One commander told the Guardian that they hoped to effect a link-up south of the city with rebels advancing from the other direction, after reports that opposition forces have overrun the strategic oil towns of Brega and Ras Lanuf.

"We can unite with the other forces [from the eastern front] said Anwar Sarwan, a Misrata rebel logistics officer. "We are making good progress."

Sirte is Gaddafi's birthplace but to the symbolic value of capturing this city is added the urgency of overrunning bases from which Scud missiles are now being launched against Misrata.

These Soviet-era rockets are the heaviest weapons so far deployed by pro-Gaddafi forces. At least four have been aimed at the city, the latest exploding amid a flash of orange in a thunderous detonation in the early hours of this morning, causing momentary panic among hundreds of people gathered to greet relatives freed from captivity in Tripoli.

Misratans appear to have the US navy to thank for the failure of any of the missiles to reach their targets, with reports that a cruiser operating in the Mediterranean has been using Aegis missiles to intercept the Scuds each time one is detected coming in over the Gulf of Sirte.

What is unnerving the people here is that the interceptions, perhaps for technical reasons, take place at the last moment, with today's Scud being blown apart seconds before it would have hit the city.

So far the US navy has hit four out four, but no one is sure how many scuds government forces still possess, nor whether Gaddafi has the capability to mount chemical warheads, as was the case with Iraq scuds fired at Israel in the 1991 Gulf war.

The rebels of Misrata are meanwhile pushing columns of men, artillery and ammunition up the road to Tripoli, with more than 2,000 fighters now taking control of eastern parts of the Libyan capital.

quote:

Coming the other way are prisoners: the Guardian saw a pick-up truck entering Misrata last night with what appeared to be black African mercenaries in uniforms huddled together on the flatbed of the truck receiving occasional kicks from their guards.

There is huge resentment in this rebel city about the appearance of mercenaries from Chad who have been captured in recent weeks, though it is unclear whether it is these forces, rather than Libyan government soldiers, who are responsible for the atrocities and destruction inflicted on this city.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Brown Moses posted:

AJE just reported this:

Where could he be?

So now it's turned into a Libyan version of "Where's Waldo"?

My guess would be to concentrate the search inside Rixos (when the rebels eventually manage to get in).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The US hitting all 4 Scuds is an impressive thing to know, considering recent history. That's pretty crazy.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

VikingSkull posted:

The US hitting all 4 Scuds is an impressive thing to know, considering recent history. That's pretty crazy.

There were early reports one had been shot down by a plane. I'd wait until Military confirmation of the shoot downs because I'm not sure where the reports the reporter cites come from.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Al Jazeera's Evan Hill sent us this update:

"We just left the Bab al-Aziziya after at least three rockets landed in the area. They got progressively closer. The first two overshot us and landed some distance behind, the third landed in a huge, grassy courtyard.

I happened to be standing in a position that seemed to be directly underneath it. I dove, and it landed about 20m ahead of me, sending up a gray cloud, a flash of flame and some sand. Most rebels fled the courtyard at that point. A television crew had to duck from sniper fire they said could be heard hitting the trees above them. We're not sure where this [fire] is coming from.

I saw two dead bodies inside the compound next to the building with the statue of the fist holding the plane. One was covered by a mattress, so I couldn't see who it was. One was in plain view. It seemed the body had been there for a day at least; a foot was mangled, but there were no obvious wounds but a lot of dried blood on the ground. Neither of the corpses were in uniform.

Rebels are still going through the Bab al-Aziziya and poking around. Some are looting. I also saw a doctor taking medicine. There were hundreds of heavily armed rebels throughout the compound and there wee trucks mounted with machine guns and rockets."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Arwa Damon of CNN is tweeting some very interesting stuff

quote:

ghadafi forces have been firing grad rockets at #tripoli international airport, there was smoke rising
rebel cmdr at #tripoli airport heavy assults on complex, either trying 2 clear escape route from tripoli for #ghadfi or he's already in area

Its in the south of the city, where Reuters say rebels suspect Gaddafi is. Maybe he's trying to make a run for it?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from Where in the World is Muammar Gaddafi?

quote:

Muammar Gaddafi is still somewhere in Tripoli and clashes were under way in a southern area of the city where he may be hiding, a rebel official told the Reuters news agency.

quote:

"We think Gaddafi is still hiding somewhere in Tripoli. He is likely to be in the al-Hadhba al-Khadra area," the official in Tripoli, who gave his name as Abdulrahman, told Reuters by telephone. "There is fighting in the al-Hadhba al-Khadra area."

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still really curious to see what they have managed to find in the compound and in the complex system of tunnels beneath it. Yesterday, they confirmed that one of the tunnels lead directly to the Rixos, so it's very possible that some high value targets may have headed there for the relative shelter of hiding behind reporters as human shields. Maybe not the Colonel himself, but someone like Saif, who seems to be the mouthpiece and the internationally connected one.

Right now there seems to be two points of interest, the hotel and the airport. If it heats up much more than it is now, I would not be surprised to see international special forces and operators on the ground to secure those two key points. Besides, if the regime manages to get in the air, it's going to be a very short flight one way or the other. That no fly zone is thick and they aren't going to escape that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

Maybe he's trying to make a run for it?

wouldn't running by plane, from an international airport, in a city surrounded by hostile forces, in a country which has had a no fly zone in place for quite a few months now, be pretty much the stupidest thing he could do?

I mean I'm not saying he might not try it, but it does seem right up there on the crazy scale.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Re-posting............from Wikipedia, current control of Tripoli (CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE):

Red rebels, tan disputed, green loyalists

Al Hahdba is the road going directly south from the Rixos. Al Khadra/Al Hahdba is the area directly below Second Circle Road, and right below the Rixos. Supposedly the fighting is intense and they are potentially guarding a high value target.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

dr_rat posted:

wouldn't running by plane, from an international airport, in a city surrounded by hostile forces, in a country which has had a no fly zone in place for quite a few months now, be pretty much the stupidest thing he could do?

I mean I'm not saying he might not try it, but it does seem right up there on the crazy scale.

I'm fully expecting Gaddafi to try and commandeer a MiG.

Which he doesn't know how to fly.

edit: In the unlikely event he knows he's hosed, if I were him, I would try and get myself killed in the strangest way possible, with evidence of death at least a little dubious, as to create a whole bunch of conspiracy theories and laugh at the world from the afterlife as the world trips over itself trying to explain/deny whatever the gently caress happens.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 24, 2011

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
More updates from Matthew Chance at the Rixos

quote:

5 journos enter #rixos from outside, but kicked out by Gadhafi loyalists at gunpoint. We still not allowed to leave. #rixos4

All puzzled as to why we are being kept in #rixos. Any ideas? #rixos4

Bargaining chips?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
the Rixos situation just got a bit more confusing

mchancecnn Matthew Chance posted:

5 journos enter #rixos from outside, but kicked out by Gadhafi loyalists at gunpoint. We still not allowed to leave. #rixos4

mchancecnn Matthew Chance posted:

All puzzled as to why we are being kept in #rixos. Any ideas? #rixos4

Possibly its just one of those things where communications gone to hell and the guards don't really know what the hell their meant to be doing.

edit: or yeah bargaining chips, but hopefully not.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^ I suspect that the regime put extreme loyalists in charge of the hotel for this very contingency. Even a conscript or regular Army guard can watch the news, especially with a hotel full of news people. I doubt they'd stay behind until things get sorted out.

Arkane posted:

Re-posting............from Wikipedia, current control of Tripoli (CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE):

Red rebels, tan disputed, green loyalist

Al Hahdba is the road going directly south from the Rixos. Al Khadra/Al Hahdba is the area directly below Second Circle Road, and right below the Rixos. Supposedly the fighting is intense and they are potentially guarding a high value target.

Has there been any indication of the situation in Sirte, Gadaffi's hometown? I know they (the city elders) were negotiating with the Rebels so they could enter the town peacefully, but I haven't seen anything since. It's possible the Colonel may head back to that area for a last stand.

Things are going to get pretty lovely at the Rixos I'm afraid. They've got human shields and hostages, so there's very little that the rebels can do about it. It'll certainly be a test of how committed the loyalists are to their cause.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They could also be human shields to prevent any heavy assaults. I still think there's a chance some Gaddafi family members are in there. It would suprise me if they have tunnels to the Rixos they also have tunnels to the airport where fighting is occuring at the moment.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Blood shed in Tripoli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4oVz99GxQ

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Brown Moses posted:

Muammar Gaddafi has made an audio address saying his retreat from the Bab al-Aziziya compound was a "tactical move".

'tis but a flesh wound!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm starting to wonder if he is in Tripoli if he's hiding in the tunnels, and his military are protecting the entrances, as there's been no reports of the rebels being able to penetrate the tunnel system yet.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That's assuming that a vast tunnel system exists

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I wonder if those plans the rebels apparently found describe just the bunker under the compound or any of the wider tunnel network that may or may not exist.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

I'm starting to wonder if he is in Tripoli if he's hiding in the tunnels, and his military are protecting the entrances, as there's been no reports of the rebels being able to penetrate the tunnel system yet.

Or he's shacked up with Lizzie Phelan in the Rixos.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Paul Danahar has just reported a massive explosion in the Gaddafi compound, and black smoke pouring out of it.

Apparently the UK, US and France are working together to get a UN resolution together to unfreeze Libyan assets as soon as possible.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
NATO is increasingly concerned with the possibility of Gadaffi loyalists in the military around Sirte resorting to their stockpiles of chemical weapons. They know of some that exist in Sirte itself and just to the South of Sirte, but many of them remain unaccounted. Whether they are still in working condition is up for debate, but it's certainly not a risk that anyone wants to take.

This according to a SKY News reporter via the NATO command.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They've been bombing stockpiles in the hope of destroying most of them, whether or not that worked is another question.

quote:

Libyan rebel leader Jibril to hold talks with Sarkozy
Libyan rebel leader Mahmoud Jibril will meet French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Paris on Wednesday to discuss prospects for a political transition in a post-Muammar Gaddafi era.

France spearheaded the West's military intervention in Libya with Sarkozy taking a personal gamble less than a year from a presidential election by becoming the first foreign leader to formally support the rebels.

Jibril is head of the executive committee of Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC) and is referred to as prime minister of the country, where rebel forces this week overran the capital Tripoli, forcing Gaddafi to flee his compound.

Sarkozy's office said the two men would hold a news conference on Wednesday evening.

Gaddafi vowed on Wednesday to fight on to death or victory after rebels forced him to abandon his Tripoli stronghold.

Paris is looking to carry on the diplomatic momentum it began by taking a lead in the Libyan crisis following its hesitation as the Arab Spring began in Tunisia and Egypt in late 2010.

Sarkozy has called for a special "Friends of Libya" conference to be held in Paris in the next 10 days which could bring together as many as 30 foreign leaders and international organisations to help ease Libya's reconstruction and transition into a democratic state.

The details are due to be finalised at a meeting of senior diplomats in Istanbul on Thursday

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

They've been bombing stockpiles in the hope of destroying most of them, whether or not that worked is another question.

I'd wager that the the French COS, Commando-Marines, SAS, Qatari Special Forces, maybe the U.S. and others have boots on the ground or preparing to insert special ops to verify and secure those chemical weapons caches. The hostage situation at the Rixos and the security of WMD's are two areas they won't take any chances with, not even in Rebel hands.

*E* SKY is reporting that the spokesman for the Rebel operation around Tripoli has announced an offer of amnesty and reward for anyone who turns in Pro-Gadaffi regime members and a bounty on the head of the Colonel himself, dead or alive.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 24, 2011

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Sheee-yit, just yell loudly down into the tunnel that you'll be unleashing a 'deadly weapon' down there in 15 minutes if they don't give up, give 'em a quarter-hour, toss a shitload of mason jars full of hornets' nests or killer bees down there and close the doors :v:
Ghadaffi: What's the wo...OH DEAR LORD! BEES!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Rebels are offering an amnesty for anyone who captures or kills Col Gaddafi, Reuters reports.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Brown Moses posted:

Rebels are offering an amnesty for anyone who captures or kills Col Gaddafi, Reuters reports.

"What did the Colonel say when you stabbed him in the back? I never asked. Did he call you a traitor? Did he plead for a reprieve?"

"He said the same thing he’d been saying for hours: 'Has anyone seen my hat?'”

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Apparently the UK, US and France are working together to get a UN resolution together to unfreeze Libyan assets as soon as possible.

Weren't Libyan assets already being unfrozen and given to the NTC? I'm sure there are all sorts of different assets and esoteric laws dictating how such things can be handled. It would be interesting to find detailed reports on exactly what types of assets have been frozen/unfrozen/transferred/etc.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

VikingSkull posted:

This is what I'm thinking as well. We know those assets are probably around somewhere, the rebels seem to be leaving it alone, and it's full of Westerners. I don't think anyone would mind the SAS and SEALs pulling off one quick mission in Libya, and that's about the best reason for one you can find. I'd actually rather that than a rebel assault.

How timely

http://twitter.com/#!/MitraCNN posted:

Special forces from Britain, France, Jordan, Qatar on ground in Libya stepped up operations in Tripoli n other cities - NATO official

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

cgeq posted:

Weren't Libyan assets already being unfrozen and given to the NTC? I'm sure there are all sorts of different assets and esoteric laws dictating how such things can be handled. It would be interesting to find detailed reports on exactly what types of assets have been frozen/unfrozen/transferred/etc.

I think it's more so any legal barries that might exist because of the UN resolution is removed globally.

More on the Gaddafi bounty:

quote:

Mustafa Abdul Jalil, the chairman of Libya's rebel Transitional National Council, has offered a reward of around £1m for capture of Gaddafi.

He made the announcement at a news conference in Bengahzi, according Sky News. The money has been put up by businessmen in the city.

A million pounds and an amnesty? I bet Gaddafi is feeling even more paranoid now.

And regarding tunnels

quote:

The design director of the Turkish construction company that designed and built the Rixos hotel flatly denied rumours that it was connected by underground tunnels to Gaddafi's Bab al-Aziziya compound, writes Robert Booth.

quote:

There has been much speculation that a network of tunnels could have allowed the former dictator and his loyalists to escape to the heavily guarded hotel.

But Bihan Varoz, who built the hotel, told The Guardian: "We designed it and we constructed it and Rixos is our sister company. There are no tunnels at the hotel that lead anywhere, secret or not."

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Visual overview of the battlefield and frontlines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SpUpabAeMA

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Why is the hashtag #rixos4 being used? For while I thought that meant only four journos were in the hotel.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Golbez posted:

Why is the hashtag #rixos4 being used? For while I thought that meant only four journos were in the hotel.

I don't get it either.

In other Journalist News Jonny Hallam(BBC) is headed west from Brega, last tweet from Ras Lanuf, so we should get an idea of where that front line has got to when he gets to it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

farraday posted:

I don't get it either.

In other Journalist News Jonny Hallam(BBC) is headed west from Brega, last tweet from Ras Lanuf, so we should get an idea of where that front line has got to when he gets to it.

Last I heard Rob Crilly said it was at Bin Jawad this morning.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Guardian live blog re: tunnels:

quote:

2.45pm: The design director of the Turkish construction company that designed and built the Rixos hotel flatly denied rumours that it was connected by underground tunnels to Gaddafi's Bab al-Aziziya compound, writes Robert Booth.

There has been much speculation that a network of tunnels could have allowed the former dictator and his loyalists to escape to the heavily guarded hotel.

But Bihan Varoz, who built the hotel, told The Guardian: "We designed it and we constructed it and Rixos is our sister company. There are no tunnels at the hotel that lead anywhere, secret or not.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

quote:

Special forces from Britain, France, Jordan, Qatar on ground in Libya stepped up operations in Tripoli n other cities - NATO official

Lizzie was right! This is obviously just the beginning of the North Atlantic Terrorist Organization's efforts to occupy and enslave all of North Africa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Golbez posted:

#Rixos4 refers to Matthew Chance (CNN), Jomana Karadsheh (CNN), Matthew Price (BBC), and Missy Ryan (Reuters). Not quite sure why it's just those four being focused on, but that's Twitter for you.

• Locked thread