Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Either an iPhone or a Droid X2. They both get fantastic battery life (something you have to watch out for with android phones, some have good battery life some don't).

An iPhone is easier to use from a pure "Newbie" user experience standpoint but Android allows you to do more things in terms of customization. Android (Droid X2) also has free GPS navigation, though you have to have cellular data service for it to work properly if you go of-course and cause it to recalculate.

Both are very capable music players. My iPod just broke actually so I've been using the Google Music beta+ my Droid X2 to listen to music. The Droid sounds really good, so no worries on sound quality there.

As far as apps, they both have them. Not an issue.

So yeah, either one of those two are fine. Just go to the store and play around with both to see which one you like better :)

Listen to this guy, though I would recommend a D3 over the X2 as I have (for some odd reason) pretty much had the exact opposite experience with my Droid X2. If you don't mind waiting a bit (like a month or so) there will probably be some nice newer phones coming out. iPhone 5 will rule I'm sure, Droid Bionic is shaping up to be a really nice phone. Then there are the rumors, the Nexus Prime and the HTC Vigor stand out to me.

Basically if I had an upgrade waiting, I would either make my phone work for a couple more months (sometimes not possible) or buy a used one on ebay and save my upgrade. Bottom line though, best way to find out which OS is best for you is to just go play with the phones. Take some hand sanitize stuff and just fondle the poo poo out of them. You might find that you loving love TouhWiz and can't imagine yourself using a phone without it (doubtful, but yea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
If anyone is considering picking up a LTE phone on ebay, I'd say wait for the Bionic to launch. I have a feeling there will be a flood of Thunderbolts and Charges on fleabay thanks to owners who have to have the dual core beast and/or supposed great battery life. Sellers, you may get a better price if you dump before the Bionic's launch.

Medullah posted:

How lenient is Verizon on early upgrades? A co-worker has a busted phone, but isn't eligible for an upgrade til October. If he calls and tells them he's debating going to someone else so he can get a phone now, what are the chances they'll take care of him?

Your coworker might have some hope, but I can't guarentee anything. First is the phone totally dead or semi-working trash? If not, I doubt we can do much. The coworker's account has to be in good standing and they have to realize that Verizon absoluetly positively can't make exceptions for the iPhone. Otherwise it's a case by case basis.

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

Auuauagh.

I got my phone stolen and ended up using an upgrade for the replacement. I wanted to hold off till October for the Nexus Prime but now I've got a Droid X2. It's not a bad phone, a non-amazing step up from an original X, but... ugh. Guess I'll use the other upgrade on my family plan for the Prime??

Listen to Codiusprime. Sell the X2 since it will still have great resale value. (Just try to keep it in a case and screen protector). I myself prefer the Droid 3 but the X2 is good too.

Eltoasto posted:

I am a child and need help in making decisions...

I wouldn't upgrade and use the subsity if you really are considering the 1st 3 LTE phones as a stopgap. The rumor mill is the Bionic will have a higher full retail price than the current 3 and more importantly I don't see that price going down for the othered rumored LTE phones.

Delthalaz posted:

Phone rec's

You should be able to find what you want. I'd have to recommend the iPhone to 1st time smartphone users, but bear in mind the iphone 5 should be out soonish (by all accounts). The iPhone also has that annoying no Flash so there's some websites for streaming video that you can't get on the iPhone that you can get on an Android. iphone should smoke most any Android phone at battery life. About the only screen on a Verizon phone better than the iPhone 4 is clearly the Charge (and that's personal preference anyway).

Oh and do you need a physical keyboard? If so, that really narrows things...

Edited for a couple more thoughts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LaptopGun posted:

Your coworker might have some hope, but I can't guarentee anything. First is the phone totally dead or semi-working trash? If not, I doubt we can do much. The coworker's account has to be in good standing and they have to realize that Verizon absoluetly positively can't make exceptions for the iPhone. Otherwise it's a case by case basis.

Completely dead, boots to Verizon splash screen and freezes. Not an iphone, it's an old Samsung dumb phone.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I am a child and need help in making decisions. I'm on an OG droid right now and it has been great, but it's struggling with speed and I need to replace it (and want to go LTE). I'm about to come into some cash in the next week or two, but my upgrade doesn't hit until December. I am debating:

1) Buying a used thunderbolt and bridging the gap until December, then using the upgrade to get whatever looks best and reselling the bolt.

2) Waiting until the Bionic comes out and buying it for whatever price I can get (full retail I guess, unless I can get some discount for renewing the contract?). Then either doing nothing with the upgrade or selling the Bionic and upgrading it, if there is even anything in December that would be an upgrade.

Please give your opinions thanks.

Option 1 is a good bet. You might want to wait for the Bionic to come out for a bunch of thunderbolts to get dumped on the market for a better deal like what has already been suggested. It is starting to sound like 720p phones are approaching which is something worthwhile in my opinion so saving your upgrade for a bit could be beneficial. Delta 4 lyfe.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Medullah posted:

Completely dead, boots to Verizon splash screen and freezes. Not an iphone, it's an old Samsung dumb phone.

That sounds just about dead. I was more worried whether your coworker was looking to upgrade to an iphone. Looking to go from a dumb phone to any non-Apple smartphone can certainly help when it comes to discretion.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

LaptopGun posted:

That sounds just about dead. I was more worried whether your coworker was looking to upgrade to an iphone. Looking to go from a dumb phone to any non-Apple smartphone can certainly help when it comes to discretion.

If you want to wait, you could go the route my wife and I did. I signed her up to my account but got her a Palm Pixi (only $39 new!) till the iPhone 5 comes out, then I use her upgrade to get the 5 and give her my 4. So, yea, if you are planning on getting a smart phone and can live with something that, while somewhat pokey (and from a dead company!), is a completely competent and useable smart phone with some frankly awesome features (Synergy contacts is kind of the coolest thing ever, the web browser stands up nicely to my iPhone 4 and my old Droid 2 Global, makes a good MP3 player, decent camera), it is frankly a great option.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Looks like they have confirmed the 8th for Bionic release. With a 2 year contract it'll run $299.

$300 just seems like so much more than $200... I don't like phone prices being so high again.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NewcastleBrown posted:

Looks like they have confirmed the 8th for Bionic release. With a 2 year contract it'll run $299.

$300 just seems like so much more than $200... I don't like phone prices being so high again.

What chance is there that it'll be cheaper via Amazon Wireless or somewhere else? I got my phone for ~$100 less than Verizon's subsidized amount, but this was like a month or so after it came out. How quickly do those deals hit?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Any idea what the full price will be? I'm guessing in the 500-600 range.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Internal docs have shown it to be $589.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If it's three hundred I might wait until I get paid the following Monday to get mine. Do you think I'll be able to get one then, or do phones like these sell out and become hard to find for weeks? I haven't upgraded since the og droid and I don't remember how easy it was to get.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 24, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They sell out sometimes. The droid3 was/is out of stock many places and online. They may have not ordered enough though because they weren't expecting it to be as popular as it was.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So the "world phones" Verizon sells have a Verizon/Vodafone SIM in them to support GSM roaming. Have they combined this at all with the SIMs used for LTE yet?

More specifically: My Thunderbolt does not support GSM roaming. But If I were to take the SIM out of an LTE phone, put it in a GSM phone, and went overseas, would it roam on whatever GSM networks Verizon had agreements with (presumably Vodafone)?

My GSM phone at least recognizes the LTE SIM and can see my Verizon phone number, but obviously doesn't get any service because why the hell would Verizon have a GSM roaming agreement with T-Mobile or AT&T in the US. But would it get service in a Vodafone operated territory overseas, or do you still need to go to Verizon and rent some temporary SIM & phone if you don't have an "official" Verizon world phone?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 24, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kitten smoothie posted:

So the "world phones" Verizon sells have a Verizon/Vodafone SIM in them to support GSM roaming. Have they combined this at all with the SIMs used for LTE yet?

More specifically: My Thunderbolt does not support GSM roaming. But If I were to take the SIM out of an LTE phone, put it in a GSM phone, and went overseas, would it roam on whatever GSM networks Verizon had agreements with (presumably Vodafone)?

My GSM phone at least recognizes the LTE SIM and can see my Verizon phone number, but obviously doesn't get any service because why the hell would Verizon have a GSM roaming agreement with T-Mobile or AT&T in the US. But would it get service in a Vodafone operated territory overseas, or do you still need to go to Verizon and rent some temporary SIM & phone if you don't have an "official" Verizon world phone?

No, they haven't established an LTE world roaming system as of yet. You will need a Verizon/vodaphone GSM SIM to roam globaly, and quite honestly, its a heck of a lot cheaper to pickup a prepaid SIM from whatever county you are visiting, you wont have the same number, but we are talking about a huge price difference.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Professorbx posted:

If you want to wait, you could go the route my wife and I did. I signed her up to my account but got her a Palm Pixi (only $39 new!) till the iPhone 5 comes out, then I use her upgrade to get the 5 and give her my 4. So, yea, if you are planning on getting a smart phone and can live with something that, while somewhat pokey (and from a dead company!), is a completely competent and useable smart phone with some frankly awesome features (Synergy contacts is kind of the coolest thing ever, the web browser stands up nicely to my iPhone 4 and my old Droid 2 Global, makes a good MP3 player, decent camera), it is frankly a great option.

Valid option too. I havent seen either the Pre or Pixi on deal like that recently but I'm sure it works. On the other hand, you can do it for any working Verizon phone so you don't have to go the Palm or even smartphone route. You don't start the contract until you take the subsidy for equipment.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

Valid option too. I havent seen either the Pre or Pixi on deal like that recently but I'm sure it works. On the other hand, you can do it for any working Verizon phone so you don't have to go the Palm or even smartphone route. You don't start the contract until you take the subsidy for equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus-Verizon-Contract/dp/B004IPAC10
I googled this earlier today and might buy one to hold me over till I decide on what to get next, my Droid X makes me :( and the newest update made me :( harder.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I bought a Palm Pixi on Amazon to lock in unlimited data before the tiers started. WebOS is surprisingly neat and easy to use, but the Pixi itself can be slow. I'll have one card open and it will tell me I have too many. I definitely restart this phone more often than my last. I'm waiting to see what the iPhone specs are before jumping in and using that subsidy.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

I bought a Palm Pixi on Amazon to lock in unlimited data before the tiers started. WebOS is surprisingly neat and easy to use, but the Pixi itself can be slow. I'll have one card open and it will tell me I have too many. I definitely restart this phone more often than my last. I'm waiting to see what the iPhone specs are before jumping in and using that subsidy.

At that price, I am thinking of picking one up just as an extra phone. I had a scare on Monday where I was positive my X2's screen had cracked, I got lucky. With my fiance using my old phone as her primary phone we need an extra one.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Codiusprime posted:

At that price, I am thinking of picking one up just as an extra phone. I had a scare on Monday where I was positive my X2's screen had cracked, I got lucky. With my fiance using my old phone as her primary phone we need an extra one.

Yeah I plan on keeping it as a backup. The web browsing is fine despite the smaller screen, and even though the keyboard feels small at first you get used to it. Typing on it now! The app store is awful though. But it has Facebook and Pandora, my two most used.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
No SGS2 for the Verizon it looks like.

Meh, as long as we get the Nexus I'm OK with it. As the months went on I was less and less impressed. If Verizon doesn't get the Nexus....

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
To what are you referring exactly? Do you know something the the rest of us don't?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
www.androidpolice.com/2011/08/25/verizon-will-not-be-getting-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-make-ready-the-pitchforks-and-torches/

I'm sure it's firmly in rumor territory at this point but there it is. I don't usually frequent Android Police as I think their site looks like vomit but today I was way, way bored.

Edit: Also the two articles I've read are really vague, sounds like we might get a sliding qwerty similar to the Epic. I don't know if that means we will get a phone with similar specs to the Epic or that it will be a pretty radical redesign of the SGSII like the Epic was of the SGS.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 25, 2011

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I was kind of holding out for the SGSII but I guess I will go for the Bionic now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The news was broken by the WSJ.

Can't say that I'm surprised given the leaked roadmap and rumors swirling months ago that it wasn't going to happen.

I can't see the full article since I'm not a WSJ subscriber, but it was apparently confirmed by someone named Brenda Raney.

Personally, I'm not going to hold out hope that the Nexus Prime makes it to Verizon either. Just because there were rumors of LTE testing doesn't mean the device will actually be offered and they could just as easily be doing early testing for LTE on ATT since their network isn't up yet.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Yeah I think that brings it down to the Bionic or iPhone 5 now for me. Sick of always waiting for what's next.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
On the other hand, this makes me happier I sucked it up and got the Charge a month ago instead of waiting for SGS2.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So the Bionic release date hasn't been confirmed yet but is believed to be Sept. 8th, correct?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

wandler20 posted:

So the Bionic release date hasn't been confirmed yet but is believed to be Sept. 8th, correct?

I'm not sure that's been confirmed but I think it is a pretty solid date.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

wandler20 posted:

So far as I know they haven't officially confirmed it, but screens of the Verizon Infocenter says the 8th.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pretty much everything points to the 8th right now with the possibility that telesales and websales may start the 1st (the later is only based on past history.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/25/a-look-at-the-droid-bionics-battery-life/

The Bionic basically obliterates the Thunderbolt in battery life.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Looks like the majority of that time was on 3G, impressive still though.

Though saying that it beat the Thunderbolt really isn't saying much.

Edit: Ah, obliterate. Yea that works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, in a way it's even more impressive that it was like that when on 3G since many phones drain the battery hardcore when 4G isn't around.

Some have made a big deal about the 4% screen time, though I have seen some people chime in and say that a low screen time seems to be common with the pentile displays.

At any rate, comparing idle to idle, the Bionic appears to behave like a normal phone which is great considering the track record of LTE devices so far. It appears to be right in line with what I see on my OG Droid right now (sitting here at 7 hours off charge and down 20%).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Well, in a way it's even more impressive that it was like that when on 3G since many phones drain the battery hardcore when 4G isn't around.

Some have made a big deal about the 4% screen time, though I have seen some people chime in and say that a low screen time seems to be common with the pentile displays.

At any rate, comparing idle to idle, the Bionic appears to behave like a normal phone which is great considering the track record of LTE devices so far. It appears to be right in line with what I see on my OG Droid right now (sitting here at 7 hours off charge and down 20%).

"Low screen time" really has nothing to do with pentile screens. Yes they use less power, but whoever was using that phone even used it moderately the screen time would be way above %4.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those numbers were the percentage of battery charge used by that process, not the percentage of the time since last charged in which that process was running. If it is a percentage of battery charge used then a more efficient screen would definitely produce a lower number.

If it is the percentage of the time since last charged in which the process was running then it is a pretty damned useless stat that there is no good reason for them to show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

"Low screen time" really has nothing to do with pentile screens. Yes they use less power, but whoever was using that phone even used it moderately the screen time would be way above %4.

It's hard to say unless we get actual stats of the screen on time since the percentage is of battery use.

Regardless, the battery stats shown there match my usage patterns on my OG Droid so much it's kind of scary. Even idle time has been a killer for a lot of LTE devices, more so if they are fluctating between 3G and 4G like this seems to have, and the fact that this one doesn't seem to be suffering from the same issues is very nice to see.

My phone sits for the majority of the day, except for at lunch, because I sit in front of a computer and really don't use it. I can usually count on it having between 70-80% of the battery left when I leave for the day. So far, I haven't seen an LTE device yet on Verizon that can do that without major hoop jumping, but it's looking as if this one can.

I don't want to manage my phone. I want to charge it once a day and forget about it until I want to use it. I don't want to have to worry about turning off 4G or turning off syncing or making sure I'm connected to wifi everywhere.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 25, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

NewcastleBrown posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those numbers were the percentage of battery charge used by that process,
Correct, well an estimate of power consumption anyways.

NewcastleBrown posted:

If it is a percentage of battery charge used then a more efficient screen would definitely produce a lower number.
Except the number is bullshit most of the time anyways. At best, it's an estimation of the power consumption of a plain Jane RGB LCD as a function of the display brightness setting, assuming the OEM actually updates the device power profile. It's an utterly meaningless estimate on an AMOLED screen, and (I'd imagine) a quasi-estimate on an RGBW LCD since it probably doesn't account for the backlight adjustment done for the magic image processing foo and white pixel.

NewcastleBrown posted:

If it is the percentage of the time since last charged in which the process was running then it is a pretty damned useless stat that there is no good reason for them to show.
It's of questionable use to begin with. Except that, on most, moderately-used devices the screen is the greater power conusmer which the battery statistics do reflect. So the fact that the percentages have questionable relevance doesn't really matter.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the advice a few days ago. I bought an iPhone 4 and am digging it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
People keep telling me that the Prime is going to come out in October running ICS. Is this even possible? I mean look how long it took them to get Bionic out.

I'm guessing IF the Prime even comes out it will be around December and IF it has ICS I'm guessing next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, it's certainly possible, but if we don't start seeing some serious leaks in the next 2 weeks I'm going to start siding in the unlikely camp.

I also doubt it will be sold through VZW channels. It will probably only be available though Best Buy or other 3rd party retailers, so that's where I would concentrate looking for leaks.

If you want to hedge your bets, buy a Bionic at Costco so you have 90 days to return it. 3 months should carry you out through all the releases for the rest of the year.

• Locked thread