Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If Deus Ex 4 allows me to extend my arm-blades and spin my way into an enemy contingent, then maybe I will deign to purchase it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Switching to an Xbox controller solved the mouse problem.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Add to that, you can't actually punch anyone outside of pre-determined non-lethal takedown moves. There is no melee option at all for a man who can literally punch through walls.

What, are you loving serious? Not even a police baton?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dick Trauma posted:

Switching to an Xbox controller solved the mouse problem.
This was the single biggest factor in turning AP's gameplay from mediocre to great, for me. My friend has almost completed the game on kb/mouse though, so I guess everyone is different.

SynthOrange posted:

What, are you loving serious? Not even a police baton?
I'm not sure, referencing this review: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/08/22/deus-ex-human-revolution-review/2

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dick Trauma posted:

Just started this on PC and the mouse is incredibly slow. Does the fix in the OP work for that, or just stutter? I'm having alot of trouble in fights because I can't look around quickly.

I played on a laptop with a wireless mouse that moved find accept in the hacking mini game where it became like molasses.

My desktop PC worked great in hacking and in normal action, but when zoomed in with a sniper rifle it was super twitchy.

I don't have any fixed and I would certainly recommend doing what you ultimately did: use an Xbox controller.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Y'all are pussies. I finished the game umpteen times with nothing more than my trusty mouse and keyboard :smug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Steven: Hey Mike, good news and bad news. The bad news is that was our way out of way.

Mike: What's the good news?

Steven: I paid extra on the insurance package! :haw:

:allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Reichstag posted:

I'm not sure, referencing this review: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/08/22/deus-ex-human-revolution-review/2

At this point I'm no longer convinced that most game reviewers actually play the games they ostensibly review, so I would be completely unsurprised to start DXHR and find that it has an extensive selection of brutally effective melee weapons and melee-oriented augs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Remember, some reviewers were convinced pistols were utterly worthless, the worst weapon in the game in AP!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Exactly like Alpha Protocol then?

(seriously, this game is incredibly restrictive about your gameplay actions. Jumping prompts, like whoa)

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

At this point I'm no longer convinced that most game reviewers actually play the games they ostensibly review, so I would be completely unsurprised to start DXHR and find that it has an extensive selection of brutally effective melee weapons and melee-oriented augs.

Listen goddammit one of the takedowns in DXHR involves grabbing the poor sucker by the head and spinning your bionic hand around to snap his neck a twig. Melee weapons are so 2001.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Oblivious posted:

Remember, some reviewers were convinced pistols were utterly worthless, the worst weapon in the game in AP!

And that the plot was just too rigid. They should have made it more reactive, like mass effect.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I found those options to purchase modifiers to your missions. Seems like a cool idea.

EDIT: I'm working on the second Saudi Arabian mission and it feels like most of the neat tools like stealth, sound projectors, etc. just aren't good for anything the way these levels are constructed. I just wind up in big ol firefights and blowing all my ammo. I'm upgrading to carry more ammo, boosting my pistol skill and toughness, etc.

Are those perks I'm collecting active all the time or do I need to somehow be selecting them? I saw the list in my character details and wondered about that.

I like the way dialogue works, and the give and take from your choices. I executed an unsavory individual and was rewarded with a reduction in weapons availability to bad guys, but a reduction in intel gathering. No idea if that actually has a visible effect on the game but I thought it was an intriguing way to deal with choices.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 24, 2011

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I found those options to purchase modifiers to your missions. Seems like a cool idea.

EDIT: I'm working on the second Saudi Arabian mission and it feels like most of the neat tools like stealth, sound projectors, etc. just aren't good for anything the way these levels are constructed. I just wind up in big ol firefights and blowing all my ammo. I'm upgrading to carry more ammo, boosting my pistol skill and toughness, etc.

I just completed my first playthrough using stealthed non-lethal take downs and tranq rounds and 0 career kills, so stealth definitly works (never used a single gadget though).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dick Trauma posted:

Are those perks I'm collecting active all the time or do I need to somehow be selecting them? I saw the list in my character details and wondered about that.

I like the way dialogue works, and the give and take from your choices. I executed an unsavory individual and was rewarded with a reduction in weapons availability to bad guys, but a reduction in intel gathering. No idea if that actually has a visible effect on the game but I thought it was an intriguing way to deal with choices.

Every perk you collect is active for the rest of that playthrough. You're constantly getting rewards for everything you do.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that stealth doesn't work. I meant that the level design for those first missions seems to stand against using it successfully. There are a lot of wide open areas with lots of guards all looking at your central entrance point.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Stealthing through is very much possible on the Saudi missions. Sometimes the way to go about it isn't exactly obvious, but trying out alternate routes or waiting a bit until the timing of the guard patrols is favorable will pay off. The only really problematic area I can think of is the last part of the Nasri mission (specifically, his bodyguards), which can quite hard to pull off — at least without abusing silent running and the peculiarities of enemy eyesight. The game does have some moments where stealth doesn't really work, but I don't think that the Saudi missions really fall into that category.

Sometimes your cover is blown due to scripted sequences, but other than that, stealth works just fine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm upgrading my opinion to "I am not good at this game."

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Smol posted:

Stealthing through is very much possible on the Saudi missions. Sometimes the way to go about it isn't exactly obvious, but trying out alternate routes or waiting a bit until the timing of the guard patrols is favorable will pay off. The only really problematic area I can think of is the last part of the Nasri mission (specifically, his bodyguards), which can quite hard to pull off — at least without abusing silent running and the peculiarities of enemy eyesight. The game does have some moments where stealth doesn't really work, but I don't think that the Saudi missions really fall into that category.

Why would you even sneak at the end when you can shoot a missle at a wall? :colbert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Because of the (somewhat realistic) impossibility of shooting and running, I find myself sneaking most places even during my current assault rifle playthrough. In many ways, assaulting from stealth and cover is proving much more valuable now than during my stealth/pistols playthrough.

e: Also, I went through my entire first playthrough without realizing you can switch locations without finishing them, which is lucky, because beating Brayko was completely impossible without a little help from my buddy Steven.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 25, 2011

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Reichstag posted:

Because of the (somewhat realistic) impossibility of shooting and running, I find myself sneaking most places even during my current assault rifle playthrough. In many ways, assaulting from stealth and cover is proving much more valuable now than during my stealth/pistols playthrough.

e: Also, I went through my entire first playthrough without realizing you can switch locations without finishing them, which is lucky, because beating Brayko was completely impossible without a little help from my buddy Steven.

If you're going AR, run and gun is very viable. When you activate the AR power, just do a quick burst and then release your aim button. When you hit the aim button again, it'll auto lock on/crit the nearest enemy IN THE FACE.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
I would just like to say that going shotguns and delivering nut-stomps to alerted guards is extremely cathartic after a stealth run. That is all.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I was really looking forward to tearing poo poo up on a Veteran run and now I have to do a whole new recruit run first :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I haven't put any points in shotgun due to running out of ammo or waiting for chain shot to refresh I've used it a few times without realizing I could melee knocked down enemies.

Captain Keekles
Jan 28, 2007

Stomper Go Dumb
12 seconds or so to pick a 5 pin safe for $1000 seems like cruelty.

Outside of that, my second playthrough really has been as much or more interesting than the first time, both because all the veteran skill points were nice and to see things work out so differently.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The first Taiwan mission felt more like what the game is supposed to be. I actually was sneaking around, sometimes using a silenced pistol with tranc darts, sometimes shooting solo guards in the back. I did set alarms off twice but in general it was a much better mix of stealthing to combat, cleaning up the mess then stealthing to the next section.

The choices you get to make are pretty interesting. I like that there are characters that aren't as easy as just using the same approach every time you talk to them, and there's alot of grey when you're making decisions. The environments have good atmosphere and even I can see that sometimes there are multiple paths through the same mission.

I feel like I practically stole this game considering it cost me $8.

I'm focusing on pistols, tech and toughness. Other weapons still seem effective even without points in them. I liked the shotgun but too many times find myself unable to engage distant enemies so I've been using the AR as my secondary. With proper sneaking you can get time to let your reticule shrink down and make those bullets count.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
which first taiwan mission is that?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bugging the warehouse. Sorry, I forgot that you can select the order of missions.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Anyone on the fence about buying Deus Ex should consider that its "social battle" system is more or less ripped from AP. You get a set of responses which do not correspond to alignments, only attitudes which may get you what you want or piss the other party off beyond repair. None of the timer system from this game, sadly, but any dev that recognizes the underrated gem that is AP should get a medal.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I feel like it's got a similar combat-dialogue system and a lot in common with Bloodlines but somehow fails to be as interesting as either game. Honestly, playing it feels like a chore and I'm hoping something awesome happens soon because I'm getting tired of it.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The dialogue battle thing isn't quite the same in DX. On the surface there's 3 choices like in AP, but 1 of them is the usually the correct answer and 2 are wrong answers. The goal is to 'win' the conversation, so it's more like a multiple choice quiz. AP doesn't really have 'wrong' answers, just divergent outcomes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scorchy posted:

The dialogue battle thing isn't quite the same in DX. On the surface there's 3 choices like in AP, but 1 of them is the usually the correct answer and 2 are wrong answers. The goal is to 'win' the conversation, so it's more like a multiple choice quiz. AP doesn't really have 'wrong' answers, just divergent outcomes.

Yeah, there's very little to compare between the two games. After playing both now though, my dream is a AAA title with the same level design and gameplay as Human Revolution, that takes about 6 - 8 hours to beat, with the same level of divergent paths and the same dialogue system as AP. Ideally, the different storylines would also lead to different missions, with like, 2 or 3 "final" hubs you could end up at. Would take a lot of effort and will probably never happen but I don't think I would need to play anything else, really.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is it just me or do game saves sometimes not work? I was going through the Triad elimination mission and reached a checkpoint about 20 minutes in. I saved it and quit. Reloading I see three saves from that mission and they all start me at the beginning. There are twenty minutes between the first and the last but none of them show any progress.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah I could not be less impressed by Deus Ex's conversation system after its use in the final confrontation. It's nothing more than hitting the right button when whichever prompt comes up. The characters come off like total schizophrenics.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just did the Sis boss battle with my shotgun-rear end in a top hat character.

So of course I chose to execute her as the first option. But the way she looks at you...

It felt really cold. :ohdear:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, comparing Deus Ex conversation system to this is tricky. On one hand, having a reactive system that's not as easy to game via quicksaves and loads is nice, but what you usually get is just either winning or losing , instead of different proper reactions from people. Sure, once in a while using the pheromones meant you'd get a change in effects, and that was nice, but those were few and far between.

Still love both games though.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Holy gently caress this game. Just finished my first playthrough :stare: Played Recruit and did mostly running and gunning with an assault rifle, man that ending was epic. The whole game pretty much hit every spy/action movie convention along the way and pulled it off drat well. I executed just about everyone except Konstantin Brakyov because that was some loving amazing music for a boss fight. I'm not really sure I could ever bring myself to kill him in all honesty. So anyway after being a dick to just about everyone and shooting half a country worth of people I'll try the smooth James Bond/Solid Snake hybrid. I can already see myself playing this a lot more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This team needs to make an Archer game.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Dick Trauma posted:

This team needs to make an Archer game.

Title? I like Terms of Enrampagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Nucular Carmul posted:

Holy gently caress this game. Just finished my first playthrough :stare: Played Recruit and did mostly running and gunning with an assault rifle, man that ending was epic. The whole game pretty much hit every spy/action movie convention along the way and pulled it off drat well. I executed just about everyone except Konstantin Brakyov because that was some loving amazing music for a boss fight. I'm not really sure I could ever bring myself to kill him in all honesty. So anyway after being a dick to just about everyone and shooting half a country worth of people I'll try the smooth James Bond/Solid Snake hybrid. I can already see myself playing this a lot more.

Man, you have no idea. Second playthroughs on this are a blast, you're going to seriously be amazed at all the new poo poo you see. I've said it before, but I've played through this game about ten times, saw new stuff every time, and there's definitely stuff I actually know exists but haven't figured out how to find yet.

Game owns.

• Locked thread