Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

My chinese amp came in a sweet box with customs papers taped to it saying it was a "GIFT ITEM" in about 10 different places haha. Guess that's how you sell them for $10 shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

I had Jeff Anderson over at miata.net refurb my 91 am/fm/cassette, came back perfect. Replaced all the lights, fixed the cassette, did something to make the headrest speakers not suck so much, and added aux in. It probably ended up costing more than a basic atermarket deck, but at least it looks 100% stock and I can be fairly certain it won't get stolen.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Just finished working on Phone's car.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Totally vein post I admit, but I just made a deal on a '99 LS.

(Apologies for the lovely craigslist photo)

69k miles, looked like it was in good shape and drove nice. There's a tear forming on the soft top at a seam, and the leather on the drivers seat is worn out. I think I got a fair deal, not great, but not too bad After tax (Texas charges sales tax on private party sales) it's a hair over $7k.

Pretty excited, as I've been motorcycle only for several years now, so yay for air conditioning. We should close either on Monday or the following Tuesday. (Work schedules on both our parts.)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 20, 2011

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Did a bunch of work on my '99 today. 126,000 miles so it was due for some maintenance.

Replaced timing belt, water pump, cam seals, valve cover gasket, and tensioner and idler pulleys. Took about 6 hours, taking my time with another person helping me.

Didn't run into hardly any problems. I thought it'd be a whole lot more difficult than that but really it's just a bunch of unbolting.

If you're doing this yourself, a lot of guides recommend you remove the radiator and fan. I didn't and still had tons of room to maneuver, just FYI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, I did the one on the '99 without removing the fan, radiator, or front swaybar. There just isn't any reason to pull the first two since there's plenty of room anyway, and the last one can be worked around with a sufficiently shallow socket / breaker bar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mobby_6kl posted:

Also, it turned out that the PO still had the broken antenna mast, however the end that goes in the car is obviously hosed up, and I'm trying to determine if I could stick it back there with some straightening. The problem is that I have no idea how the end is supposed to look like, and if straightening will do the job:

PS. The cable isn't broken.

You could probably replace the whole antenna for <$50 (pounds?). I did this once for a Saab. You gotta dissemble the power antenna assembly, get the old stuff out, and then appropriately spool the replacement cable in there. Tedious, but not too hard.

e: I found my writeup: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3232133#post380404718
If your picture is of the base of the antenna mast, I think you might have to open up your power antenna housing assembly and try to find the sleeve I mentioned. Once you have that, then you can put the sleeve back on, flare the bottom out, and try to reinstall as I outlined there. As the post shows, you don't necessarily have to take the assembly apart.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 21, 2011

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks kimbo, I don't think I'll be sticking this one back in :D

I'll just get a new mast from ebay if I don't get used to it missing by then. You're right about the price, they seem to go for under $50.

And here are some photos as promised. Not that you guys haven't seen an NB...

and a few more

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Trying to figure out what bolts I need for side brackets only... I know they are 6mmx1.0 and 8mmx1.25 but can't find if I need 4 of each or like 6 and 2 or what?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Are these side brackets blue or green?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
What's the best way to get the shift knob off of my 95M so I can replace the lower shift boot?
When I try and unscrew it, it just flexes the lever and doesn't come loose. I looked all over it and couldn't find any screws anywhere, it's the nardi knob that came on the 95Ms.I'm hoping the answer is a little less rough on the leather upper boot than a pair of pipe wrenches. The knob is trash anyway, the leather has come apart at the seams and peeled off the top of the knob.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think on the Nardis that there might be a set screw. Look on Miata.net for a definite answer.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think this has come up before. You need to pull down the rubber piece on the bottom of the shifter. There is a set screw underneath it.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Actually no, I went outside to muck around with it after leaving it parked in the sun with the top down and it unscrewed right off, in the past when I tried the shift lever was flexing to the point where I was worried I would break it. I wonder if the P.O. glued it somehow? Is that a thing people do?

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 23, 2011

moondabor
Oct 23, 2003

Nyoro~n MUSASHI
I've been lurking around AI more recently as my car's health has been declining. I want to jump over to Miatas and there have been some NBs falling in my price range. Is there anything particular I need to watch out for on 99s or 01s? There's a 2001 5spd selling for 3000-4000 on CL (Los Angeles) I'm gunning for but it has some cosmetic damages.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Got some decent photos of my new car! (Yes, yet another NB)

'99 69k miles, new timing belt/clutch last year (have paperwork), AC doesn't blow quite as cold as it should but it's livable. Going to put on some new tires in the next week or two and change the fluids and call it good. I've wanted one of these things since I was in high school, so I'm pretty excited about it.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 25, 2011

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That looks really clean, and sounds like you're on top of maintenance.

And don't apologise - NBs need to represent!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Got some decent photos of my new car! (Yes, yet another NB)

'99 69k miles, new timing belt/clutch last year (have paperwork), AC doesn't blow quite as cold as it should but it's livable. Going to put on some new tires in the next week or two and change the fluids and call it good. I've wanted one of these things since I was in high school, so I'm pretty excited about it.

That looks awesome, enjoy it! I am certainly biased, but I think the NBs look just a bit better than NAs. Then again I used to hate on NCs thinking they were bloated, but they've been growing on me more and more since I've owned my NB, especially after the recent facelift. (I love the Mazda grin.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the facelifted NCs look a lot better. Combine it with some red vinyl to un-rice the taillights and it looks damned good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The pop-up headlights are cool of course, but the NB kind of looks like a baby Viper, at least with a few basic tasteful mods. Maybe I'm just biased though.

Unfortunately, it looks like I have a first potential problem on my hands. I started to notice a rather quiet whine/rattle noise when idling with transmission in neutral. It goes away completely when I fully push in the clutch. I can't hear it when actually driving in gear, but that could be just because of all the other (normal) noises. Any ideas what this could be or what to check?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mobby_6kl posted:

The pop-up headlights are cool of course, but the NB kind of looks like a baby Viper, at least with a few basic tasteful mods. Maybe I'm just biased though.

Unfortunately, it looks like I have a first potential problem on my hands. I started to notice a rather quiet whine/rattle noise when idling with transmission in neutral. It goes away completely when I fully push in the clutch. I can't hear it when actually driving in gear, but that could be just because of all the other (normal) noises. Any ideas what this could be or what to check?

Pilot or TOB. Guessing you have over 70k miles or so? My pilot bearing was seized at 86k when I bought it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
If I have my top up and leaves fall on it, especially in that seam between the top and the trunk, where do the leaves go when I put the top down?

I always clean them off as much as I can, but are bits of leaf and twigs building up in there, clogging up drain holes and such?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't see how leaves can get into the rainrail, but it could cause some problems.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
herp a derp I'm an idiot.

...just went out to take a picture and now I see how the rear of the top is fitted against the trunk and the leaves would just stay there on the outside of the top. thx

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
What’s everyone’s opinion on mud flaps?

Mine came with them but the front right is torn. I took all of them off until I have a chance to fix the damaged one. Now I’m trying to decide if I should even bother.

I’m guessing they’re extremely vulnerable to speed bumps, especially if the car is lowered (which I plan to do).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Unless it's really loud, it's nothing unusual. My NB did it practically from day one at 42k miles and currently is closing in on 110k. My MS3 does it, and my Ranger does it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless it's really loud, it's nothing unusual. My NB did it practically from day one at 42k miles and currently is closing in on 110k. My MS3 does it, and my Ranger does it.

My NA did it. I greased the clutch slave pushrod (you can do it from outside the car, reaching into the back of the right wheelwell) with some bike BB grease and it shut right up.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Grayham posted:

What’s everyone’s opinion on mud flaps?

Mine came with them but the front right is torn. I took all of them off until I have a chance to fix the damaged one. Now I’m trying to decide if I should even bother.

I’m guessing they’re extremely vulnerable to speed bumps, especially if the car is lowered (which I plan to do).
My NA is relatively low (12.25-12.5" hub to fender) and my mudflaps give me no trouble. No more trouble than the Garage Vary lip, anyway.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My dad is probably going to buy a 2001 NB with ~100K miles for $1800. It could use a new top and the left side rear panel has a dent but besides that is clean. He has already looked at it and has a very clean '00 to compare it to, but any suggestions or things to look for when he goes to buy?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

tesilential posted:

2001 NB with ~100K miles for $1800.

Go for it!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

That's an insane deal, you should go buy it this minute before someone else does.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brain Issues posted:

Go for it!

I just texted him, it actually has 140k, not 100.
edit: it's also the non "LS" version. It doesn't have the sport suspension.

aventari posted:

That's an insane deal, you should go buy it this minute before someone else does.

It's not listed anywhere. My dad told my aunt I was looking for a car and she told him a coworker was about to sell a Miata. It's had one female owner this entire time and she quit driving it 6 months ago when she inherited a new car. They found out about this deal literally 3 days after I bought an 01 accord coupe for $3300 :(.

I think he's picking it up this weekend.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It could be on fire and $1800 would still be a steal.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

aventari posted:

herp a derp I'm an idiot.

...just went out to take a picture and now I see how the rear of the top is fitted against the trunk and the leaves would just stay there on the outside of the top. thx
At least with the NA there are drain holes for water which can and should be reamed out with something regularly. A coax cable fits the hole perfectly. E: They're on the rear shelf near the corners but atm I cannot recall if there's only one drain or two there. The other water issue I was told about was the front wheel well has a plastic piece which will catch road debris and over time, can hold water against the frame. These should be removed and cleaned.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I just bought my first Miata.

It's a 1991 LE in British Racing Green with a matching hardtop, #1116 of 4000. The exterior of the car is in great shape, although it would really benefit from a good buffing. The car is really high mileage (220k), but the engine bay is clean with zero leaks - and runs without any hesitation, ticking, or suspicious sounds whatsoever.
The only downsides are that the struts are pretty tired and the drivers seat is pretty ripped apart. Everything else is actually pretty much in great shape.

It came with a brand new tonneau cover, a car cover, and various other unused cover-like items. Incredibly, the guy also threw in, if I choose, a totaled-but-running 1991 Miata LE with 140k on it. I can literally just go pick it up from him if I want. He bought it for the suspension components, and since it's a 1.6 and his project car is a 1.8, he said he'd just give the whole thing to me.
Awesome. He was probably the coolest dude I've bought a car from.

I paid $2000 for it. I feel like I got a good deal, but since I don't know much about the Miata market other than what I've watched in the weeks leading up to tonight, I don't totally know.

So, YAY, I'm in the Miata club.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
That's a great deal, even without the other car. Congratulations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
2 grand for a Miata with a hard top is really good since the hard tops generally cost half that alone

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm interested in the 1.6 engine if you want to sell it, I need a new engine for my GTX and the CR boost would give me some reasonable economy and off-boost performance.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
holy poo poo take that parts car, even if you dont need anything from it you can sell it bit by bit on ebay and you've got a free sweet miata!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

DJ Commie posted:

I'm interested in the 1.6 engine if you want to sell it, I need a new engine for my GTX and the CR boost would give me some reasonable economy and off-boost performance.

You're in the Bay Area, right?
I'm thinking about putting the lower mileage engine in my car, but I might need help doing it, so if you'd be down to help me I'd just give you the engine out of my current car. Ha, and then give you the wrecked Miata if you wanted that as well, as long I was able to pull some parts that I think I might need off it. Pay it forward, bro!

It's got 220k on it, but the whole drat engine appears to be solid - not covered in gunk or oil or anything other than road dust, no drips anywhere. It was owned by an old lady (Marianne, apparently, as her name is engraved on the LE plate) - and she apparently was pretty religious about maintenance.

The guy I bought it from only owned it for 6 weeks, and intended to use it as a project car, but then he found a really cheap later M edition with all the sweet stuff that the early ones didn't have the week after he bought it. I'm the 3rd owner, as a result.

EDIT: By "parts I might need", I guess I just mean the little rear valance by the taillights, and maybe some interior trim? My car is pretty drat complete - so it's not like I'd strip it and leave you with a husk.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 1, 2011