Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dragon Quest V is really hard to get, be sure to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Bunch of XSeed PSP stuff on there too worth playing. The Ys games are among the best action-RPGs out there, Trails in the Sky is an underrated turn-based RPG with some interesting mechanics, and Lunar is good for a nostalgia kick.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

casual poster posted:

Holy crap, amazon is offering some awesome deals on portable RPGs this week:

Y'all need to buy The World Ends With You. I can't believe that's even available for purchase.

Also, Amazon.ca, why don't you ever have cool deals like this?

:sigh:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'd never played Final Fantasy 7 past the first disc, but this time I think I'm ready to give it another shot. What's the best Final Fantasy 7 experience out there, PS1 disc via my PS2, or a PC version with my xbox controller?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
You assholes should definitely be buying Ys and Trails at those prices. Those are incredible prices for really great games.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Or else what? You'll send the fairy after our shins? I have an iron plate over mines! :smug:

I already own them all, please don't hurt me

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I tried playing Trails but man, the plot just takes too long to develop. I think I was something like 4 hours in and still doing errand tasks for various village elders.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah you definitely need to have a tolerance for more classic JRPGs if you want to get far in Trails. It's just one of those games.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SpaceDrake posted:

You assholes should definitely be buying Ys and Trails at those prices. Those are incredible prices for really great games.

I pre-ordered and got the LE's as they came out. Do I win?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is one of the kingdom hearts DS games really really better than the other?
I'd like a portable 3d platformer with maybe some interesting mechanics. I could give three shits about the plot and I'll probably just mute it and do something else at the cutscenes.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Captain Vittles posted:

I played it when it was released for the PSX and had the same impression. It's not a bad game, but it certainly didn't pull me in the way it has so many others. The graphics were OK for the time - maybe they were fabulous on the Saturn in '97, but on the PSX in late '99 they were already starting to look dated. Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm in the drastic minority of jRPG players who don't like anime. The music struck me as repetitive; I found it transitioned from 'fitting' to 'grating' fairly quickly. The story... I actually can't remember the story. I remember combat being a lot of fun, though, and that's probably why I remember it as a merely OK game. I can forgive a lot of RPG nonsense and bullshit if the combat is fun (see: FFIX).

This is all true and it's true as well for the first two hours I played of Grandia 2 before quitting. Both games seem to be the very definition of generic RPGs. I mean I guess the battle system is different and fun, but lots of RPGs have fun gameplay and aren't super generic in every other aspect.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The Black Stones posted:

I pre-ordered and got the LE's as they came out. Do I win?

You are part of the solution, good job :thumbsup:

jerkstore77 posted:

I tried playing Trails but man, the plot just takes too long to develop. I think I was something like 4 hours in and still doing errand tasks for various village elders.

Trails really does take a while to get its wheels spinning, but it's a great ride once it does. Mercifully, if/when the next one comes out (there's four Trails games in Japan with a fifth one coming next month, and it's already a big loving deal), that one basically hits the ground with the gas pedal pressed all the way down, and it basically never really lets up. Do give Trails a chance, it can really charm your socks off if you let it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nate RFB posted:

Dragon Quest V is really hard to get, be sure to pick it up.

Or it used to be. I know there wasn't a copy anywhere under $50 when I got it at a pawn shop for $35, and then a few weeks later Amazon suddenly had copies for cheap.

But yeah, if you own a DS, love RPGs and don't own Dragon Quest V, you should. It's one of the best ever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum - due to my job, I'm travelling an inordinate amount lately, so I wanted to pick up a few more DS RPGs. I found a copy of Infinite Space new at Gamestop - but without the manual or case. Apparently some kid walked off with the box but the store still felt fine selling it at the 'new' price point. Clearly that is some ridiculous bullshit for a couple of reasons, but whatever - by and large, I couldn't care any less about my DS game cases.

The problem is now that I've played the game for a while, I feel like I'm missing something. I've had to redo a couple of story battles a few times over (I just beat the dude who was forbidding space travel from Ropesk or whatever, and it took me four tries). I've read some of the in-game "help" stuff from the CTA stations at spaceports, but while it's all useful info it doesn't seem quite useful enough. What should I be doing here to ensure that I'm not just scraping through battles on luck alone?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36637/GDC_Europe_Obsidians_Five_Hard_Lessons_Of_RPG_Design.php

Mr. J.E. Sawyer on RPG Design.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Ryoshi posted:

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum - due to my job, I'm travelling an inordinate amount lately, so I wanted to pick up a few more DS RPGs. I found a copy of Infinite Space new at Gamestop - but without the manual or case. Apparently some kid walked off with the box but the store still felt fine selling it at the 'new' price point. Clearly that is some ridiculous bullshit for a couple of reasons, but whatever - by and large, I couldn't care any less about my DS game cases.

The problem is now that I've played the game for a while, I feel like I'm missing something. I've had to redo a couple of story battles a few times over (I just beat the dude who was forbidding space travel from Ropesk or whatever, and it took me four tries). I've read some of the in-game "help" stuff from the CTA stations at spaceports, but while it's all useful info it doesn't seem quite useful enough. What should I be doing here to ensure that I'm not just scraping through battles on luck alone?

If you put Yuri's sister as first mate, you can use her special ability(middle tab) which will heal the entire fleet. Most battles you can just fall back to the left edge of the map and heal up before going back in (the enemy usually wont chase you to the point where they can hit with all their weapons).

Also, I vaguely recall the tutorial telling you to use the red line between your fleets to judge when you can fire which is retarded; I think the red line basically shows the minimum distance for your highest range weapon. Look at the red/blue dots beneath your ships, those represent your weapons, if its red they are out of range and wont fire. You usually want to be firing all your weapons every shot.

Grinding is probably necessary once in a while, usually when you get the ability to use another ship in your fleet.

I think most people really liked carriers(which I don't think you'll have access to for a while); I used all battleships the entire game and won most battles by running up in the enemy's face and blowing them up before they could do the same to me. There are 2-3 story battles that are much more difficult/time consuming without carriers/fighters, though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ryoshi posted:

The thing you are missing which is what 99% of the people who are playing Infinite Space miss is that you get a severe penalty for hitting ships beyond the most immediate front rank and the ranks aren't logically front to back from left to right. Look at the icons below the ship type on the fleet arrangement, the highlighted one is where the ship is as they're usually jumbled.

Alternatively watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcvEwHiHOE&feature=related (and maybe the other two tutorial videos if you care)

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Been playing Atelier Rorona, loving hell the time system in this game is annoying. I understand it's integral to the story to have time limits, but it's loving ridiculous that it should take five days to make a batch of stuff in which you can't do anything else.

They really needed to sort that out, have a few assistants you can deligate tasks to so you can farm items and make items in the same timeframe.

Good game otherwise

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

They really needed to sort that out, have a few assistants you can deligate tasks to so you can farm items and make items in the same timeframe.

You actually get exactly that a little while into the game (start of the second year or sometime around there). It takes them a little longer to do stuff though, if I remember correctly.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 22, 2011

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rascyc posted:

The thing you are missing which is what 99% of the people who are playing Infinite Space miss is that you get a severe penalty for hitting ships beyond the most immediate front rank and the ranks aren't logically front to back from left to right. Look at the icons below the ship type on the fleet arrangement, the highlighted one is where the ship is as they're usually jumbled.

Alternatively watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcvEwHiHOE&feature=related (and maybe the other two tutorial videos if you care)

Thanks, this was it. I know they mentioned it briefly in the battle tutorial, but I thought it went left to right instead of some ridiculous arbitrary order.

So now my two questions are:
1) How can I tell what position someone needs to be assigned to to get their special abilities? Yuri's sister's move is helpful but without the tip I never would've known about it.
2) Is there any penalty to grinding like there is in some JRPGs or can I fly around wasting fools like some alternate universe hyper-violent Jean-Luc Picard?

E: one more - what are the ship rankings? I've seen M's, DD's and
I believe U's so far but have no idea how they stack up.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 23, 2011

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What do you guys know about those Eschalon games? All I know is that they're games made in the spirit of old school RPGs. Can't find any major discussion about them though anywhere, which is kind of leading me to think they really aren't very interesting or noteworthy games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hey, so anyone looking forward to the new Rune Factory game: it's got a September 27th release date, for the Wii and PS3. I'm sort of looking forward to it, though I've got such a backlog of games that it's questionable when I'll actually be able to pick it up.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Polite Tim posted:

Been playing Atelier Rorona, loving hell the time system in this game is annoying. I understand it's integral to the story to have time limits, but it's loving ridiculous that it should take five days to make a batch of stuff in which you can't do anything else.

Good game otherwise

It's the whole point of the game. You have to make a whole bunch of poo poo while taking the time into account for everything you make. As you progress in the game you get different ways of cutting down the time it takes to make things. After a while you can even make stuff and then have shops carry it for you. So when there's a popular item people usually want if the stores are willing to carry it you can simply buy it from then on.

For example, I think it was Honey or something was always a wanted item from the cook. So I created some great honey with the side effect he usually wanted and had him carry the item in stock. From then on, whenever he wanted honey, I'd buy it, give it back to him, and make a good profit on it because Honey was cheap and the reward was good.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

You have to make a whole bunch of poo poo while taking the time into account for everything you make.

You also need to learn when to decide 'no, this job's poo poo, I'm not taking it'. Some jobs just aren't worth the trouble and if it's one of them, just ignore it and wait for that person to roll up another. This is especially true in the early game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Opus125 posted:

What do you guys know about those Eschalon games? All I know is that they're games made in the spirit of old school RPGs. Can't find any major discussion about them though anywhere, which is kind of leading me to think they really aren't very interesting or noteworthy games.

If you have any interest in those you should also check out Avadon. It has a 10% discount on Steam right now as a new release, making it $8.99. You can also check out a demo from the developer's website. If you like the oldschool isometric RPGs it is a lot of fun. There are also achievements if that is your thing too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ragequit posted:

If you have any interest in those you should also check out Avadon. It has a 10% discount on Steam right now as a new release, making it $8.99. You can also check out a demo from the developer's website. If you like the oldschool isometric RPGs it is a lot of fun. There are also achievements if that is your thing too.

I'm having a blast with Avadon, and I'm hoping the guy releases more games (especially that Roman one) on Steam.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Opus125 posted:

They're really slow and boring and simplistic. I couldn't manage to get into them at all, and I love old school RPGs in general. Avadon definitely seems like the better choice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Mr. J.E. Sawyer on RPG Design.
Reading this only makes me sad. My biggest complaint with Mass Effect 2 (beyond the handling of the story and characters) was how shallow it felt. Both games are poor-man's shooters wrapped in an adventure-game shell but Mass Effect 1 kept me entertained through the end with busy work. "Busy work" usually carries negative connotations but I enjoyed comparing armor/weapon attributes, upgrading equipment, exploring planets, and bumping up stats. Mass Effect 2 was somehow longer than the first game but had nearly nothing to keep you preoccupied. Every level felt exactly the same and I couldn't invest myself into the plot as I scanned planets, talked to random people, and moved on to the next poorly designed linear hallway.

But the majority of gamers liked the straight shooter poo poo of ME2 and that changed everyone's opinions. If Alpha Protocol had come out before ME2, even by a month, it would have been better received because when you play ME1 and AP back to back they're the same loving game right down to controls and mechanics. Unfortunately ME2 convinced everyone that ME1 was terrible which carried onto Dragon Age 2 but thankfully everyone called bullshit on that. At this rate I'm expecting Dragon Age 3 to use a full out action system like Fable or Devil May Cry. I would rather Mass Effect 3 be about 12 hours long like a single run of Alpha Protocol than the 50 hours it took to not get a lovely ending in ME2.

Long post short, I'd rather developers go all out or don't. I can play through action games like Gears of War or Uncharted because they're short and sweet. If you were to extend Uncharted into a 60 hour epic then it turns into bullshit because the gameplay is too paper-thin for what you're demanding out of the player. If you challenge the player's planning and attention by having him customize every detail the next 60 hours become bearable. That's what RPGs, as a video game genre, are to me.

Polite Tim posted:

Good game otherwise

It seems like all of the Atelier games have stupid time mechanics. I'm playing Mana Khemia and having the day/night cycle serves absolutely no purpose except to make enemies stupidly difficult at night.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 24, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Stelas posted:

You also need to learn when to decide 'no, this job's poo poo, I'm not taking it'. Some jobs just aren't worth the trouble and if it's one of them, just ignore it and wait for that person to roll up another. This is especially true in the early game.

Yeah, i've basically just gone for story items and friendship quests above everything else, and maybe some high fee quests inbetween. I'm using a lot of downtime waiting for appraisal days just to open up new areas of exploration so i don't waste so much time later on.

This'll be going on the backburner again soon anyway, I can't keep concentrated on games anymore.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

al-azad posted:

"Busy work" usually carries negative connotations but I enjoyed comparing armor/weapon attributes, upgrading equipment, exploring planets, and bumping up stats. Mass Effect 2 was somehow longer than the first game but had nearly nothing to keep you preoccupied.

This is just a matter of making the numbers go up. Where ME2 "steamlined" the content so that roughly everything was unique, it lost the gradual statistical gains that tend to define the addictive RPGs. "Just one more". If there are countless ways to improve and gain in power and you are ALWAYS gaining tiny incremental gains it can be very difficult to just loving quit for the day.

I had an opposite experience with Mass Effect games, but it wasn't just busy work. It was just the constant feed of reward. Even if the rewards didn't make the gameplay any more engaging/dynamic. Even these adventure game shooters like ME2 can have it (ME2 DID NOT). Look at the recent Deus Ex. Simply exploring to accumulate a tiny bit more experience for just one more praxis point? That alone wouldn't be enough, but environments are always littered with bullets (which somehow manage to remain scarce), credit chits (for which there is very little to buy once you find your "load out), and ebooks or pocket secretaries that yield nothing more than some plot. You are constantly being fed with rewards that FEEL like they have some immediate impact even when they do not, all the while working toward a larger goal (more augs). Not that DX:HR is a good example of an RPG. Just saying that format of ME2 can have that addictive edge, because everytime I look at the clock another two hours have passed and the only thing I have to show for it is some logged emails and a handful of ammo.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, with Eid coming up, I have a little free time to burn, and I was poking around GoG when I saw that they had Might and Magic 7 and 8 for sale. WHich would you guys recommend?

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Just started Ys 7, it is my first in the series. I decided to try nightmare difficulty. How hosed am I?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

al-azad posted:

Mass Effect 2 was somehow longer than the first game but had nearly nothing to keep you preoccupied. Every level felt exactly the same and I couldn't invest myself into the plot as I scanned planets, talked to random people, and moved on to the next poorly designed linear hallway.
I honestly don't know how you can say that when ME1 had the exact same structure for side quests. I'll take unique or semi-unique locations to the same wharehouse battle over and over.
I never liked ME1 faux rpg mechanics, and ME2 did the right thing by removing them altogether. So what if it's not an RPG? It was barely one before.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

I honestly don't know how you can say that when ME1 had the exact same structure for side quests. I'll take unique or semi-unique locations to the same wharehouse battle over and over.
I never liked ME1 faux rpg mechanics, and ME2 did the right thing by removing them altogether. So what if it's not an RPG? It was barely one before.

As Kiggles said you can gauge your strength when there's noticeable mechanics behind the action. No matter how many upgrades I got or resources I pumped into little "+150% shields" etc. the change in my character's power wasn't as dramatic as the first game where equipment gradually scaled by level. ME1 suffered from the same 3 locations recycled everywhere and the "Christmas Tree" +1, +2, +3 magic item effect but those were problems that could easily be fixed.

ME2 just felt like I was playing Gears of War for 50 hours but it totally lacked the set pieces that makes Gears entertaining. ME1's planets, vehicle sections, and equipment tied it together setting it apart from every other shooter. They could have polished those sections instead of axing them altogether. Just to salt the wounds the Overlord DLC had a vehicle section and it was loving beautiful. I didn't think the Unreal Engine could make outdoor scenery look like that.

We know ME3 will have a skill tree that's not superfluous as gently caress as well as equipment customization, crouching (whose idea was it to make an action shooter and remove this?), and a greater focus on the environment. Obviously someone at BioWare was listening.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

CommissarMega posted:

So, with Eid coming up, I have a little free time to burn, and I was poking around GoG when I saw that they had Might and Magic 7 and 8 for sale. WHich would you guys recommend?

MM7 is considered the 'best' of the 3D MM titles (6 through 9). Both 6 and 8 are good games (6 is my favorite in the latter half of the series, and I would encourage you to find a copy and play it if you enjoy 7). Stay away from 9, though. That game effectively killed the series :(.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Viash posted:

Just started Ys 7, it is my first in the series. I decided to try nightmare difficulty. How hosed am I?

somewhat hosed. It's an easier game in the series, but still hard enough that if you're new to them putting it on the hardest difficulty isn't the best idea.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

The Black Stones posted:

somewhat hosed. It's an easier game in the series, but still hard enough that if you're new to them putting it on the hardest difficulty isn't the best idea.

On this front, I've only played 7, and from what I understand it's a fairly different from previous games. I liked 7 a lot, do the other Ys games play similarily at all?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ark of Napishtim and Oath in Felghana play similarly, but with different gimmicks instead of blocking and charging a super bar. Older Ys games probably fall into the "you had to have been there" category, the core mechanics are seen nowhere else and are pretty odd at first.

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Viash posted:

I was fine until the last battle because you have to use all of your party members and I did not know that. Grinding ensued. So yeah, keep that in mind.

e: It doesn't really take that long to level up characters you didn't use, it was just a minor annoyance. Don't force yourself to use characters you don't like or anything.

Drunken Butterfly fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just learn how to flash guard or whatever, I don't know if the game actually teaches you it.