Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess it's technically griefing. I just hate 4chan things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cojawfee posted:

Most 4chan memes started off at SA. We're all one big family. It's just that 4chan is like the retarded cousin who doesn't know when a joke stops being funny.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

abaddonis posted:

scatterfold is a goon, as is most people on the team

Hahaha the best part is that ProvenN is tame compared to some of the people we ran into online. Christ, I miss CoD4.

GaryOak
Mar 1, 2011

"The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes."

Cojawfee posted:

I agree, it's cringeworthy
but oh-so-good at its core.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Funkmaster General posted:

Most 4chan memes started off at SA. We're all one big family. It's just that 4chan is like the retarded cousin who doesn't know when a joke stops being funny.

Partially because in their community people get "into" the joke a bit too late and then laughs it up so loud someone else new to it hears it and then it spreads like that for weeks on end.

And then they find it funny when someone some time later brings it up again. SA, as a forum is more time-slanted and a joke is almost only funny in the short time it is thought up and then promptly forgotten or put in some archive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
From what I've noticed, things stop being funny on here (like lolcats, that :awesome: emoticon and other things) once the kids at 4chan take it and run it into the ground. I also notice that the video about the spongebob thing is giving thanks to ebaums world, so that's like thirdhand unfunny.

Deconstructing internet humor itt.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Played a little more Planetside earlier tonight. I forgot how easy it is to grief in this game. For some reason the screen caps I took are all black boxes unfortunately.

Many of the planets have lakes and oceans on them. Once you enter into one, an oxygen bar will show on your screen and deplete. It takes about a minute or two to deplete, at which point you take damage until you die. You cannot swim, only walk painfully slow across the bottom of the lake toward shore. Only a few of vehicles can travel across water, whereas the rest are forced to use bridges that become chokepoints for mines and artillery.

So I spawn at a base near a big fight, spawn a Thunderer (a type of five-man APC capable of floating across lakes) and in short order four random guys have hopped in hoping for a quick ride to the fight. I drive them about a quarter mile out into the center of a huge lake and stop dead in the water. I begin asking them whether they 'have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior.' After a few confused replies I bail from the vehicle, plummeting down to the deep bottom of the lake and drowning. My screen filled with hate tells as they were left stranded, with no way to drive away and their only option to exit the vehicle and immediately plummet to the murky depths.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cojawfee posted:

From what I've noticed, things stop being funny on here (like lolcats, that :awesome: emoticon and other things) once the kids at 4chan take it and run it into the ground. I also notice that the video about the spongebob thing is giving thanks to ebaums world, so that's like thirdhand unfunny.

I don't know if that video truly came from ebaum's world or not, but that is the go-to "let's blame it on someone else" thing 4chan used to do, and maybe still does.

Honestly though, I used to think 4chan was hilarious, and I don't know if it was a decline in quality, a rise in maturity, or a combination of both, but I find everything there to be almost entirely insufferable except in tiny doses or particular cases these days. I moved on to SA and never looked back.

e: Also, sorry for the particularly terrible derail!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I will say that SA has some weird definitions of "4chan memes". Reasonably speaking, it should be about stuff limited to 4chan, like "promotions" or whatever. "Made of win/fail" (for example) can only be counted as a chan meme by some bizzare twist of meme definition logic.

As far as dated memes go, the Ru.net saying is "every "bayan" (dated meme) is hilarious when you first hear it, and every joke is a bayan when you hear it for the second time".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Xander77 posted:

As far as dated memes go, the Ru.net saying is "every "bayan" (dated meme) is hilarious when you first hear it, and every joke is a bayan when you hear it for the second time".

I've never heard that before and it's hilarious.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
You know, I remember that first "caption animals!" thread that really set off the whole lolcats thing, even the original "invisible bike!" pic, and I'm wondering if it'd be as funny to go through it again today.

Sadly, I can't seem to find it in the goldmine or the archives- did it get spite-deleted once it got ran into the ground? :(

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Looks like 4chan griefed you guys!

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Lolcats was never funny or cool.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Eve ponzi scheme nets a $50k in isk (in game money).

quote:

"EVE Online is famous for its stories of theft, underhanded dealings, criminal empires and general unscrupulous play. For EVE players, this is generally an accepted part of the game and part of the risk players run. The type of scheme might be old, but the profits were big in the latest EVE Online scam, which has broken records and is now being called the biggest scam in the game's history."

http://www.phaserinc.com/index1.html

1 trillion isk beating the last scam of 700 billion.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
See, that's the good thing about Eve. You absolutely need a population of marks, as foils against your brilliantly unscrupulous entrepreneur. Your ubermenschen need the straight men to exploit.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

floor is lava posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Eve ponzi scheme nets a $50k in isk (in game money).

What exactly did they do? That link doesn't give that much information on what the scam was.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Sam. posted:

What exactly did they do? That link doesn't give that much information on what the scam was.

it was apparently just a fairly standard ponzi scheme.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sam. posted:

Plain ol' Ponzi.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sam. posted:

Looks like a Ponzi scheme with blind investment.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I don't know who I feel more schadenfreude for: the dude who lost 34 billion ISK in that, or the dudes who were only able to afford to lose 2 million.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
What? C'mon, the Great Haargoth Heresy got several trillion worth of isk and assets at least, just in liquid/atable assets.

Biggest scam in EVE my sweet patooie. <:mad:>

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

floor is lava posted:

It's interesting that you refer to the value of the in-game losses in terms of dollars. Is there some mechanism for "cashing out" that isk for real-world money? And if there was, could it possibly be considered fraud even though it appears to have occurred within the allowed terms of the game?

EVE griefs seem to exist on a level above all others.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Hungryjack posted:

It's interesting that you refer to the value of the in-game losses in terms of dollars. Is there some mechanism for "cashing out" that isk for real-world money? And if there was, could it possibly be considered fraud even though it appears to have occurred within the allowed terms of the game?

When I played the only legal ISK real world purchases were for game time. I don't know if it's changed or not but selling ISK for real money was against the TOS. I don't know if CCP has monetized "cashing out" at all but unless they have I'd guess it's still against the TOS. I'd think people just make the real price by knowing Such and such amount of ISK is worth 30 days/$15 therefore this much is worth blahblahblah.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
When people refer to dollar amounts they're talking about purchasing ingame money with real life cash through legitimate channels. You cannot "cash out" of eve through legitimate means but RMT is quite common. Hell..

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hungryjack posted:

Yes, if you violate the ToS but if they tried to cash out all 50k at once, they'd swamp the market. Besides, the only way allowed by the game company is to trade in game money for subscription cards--which are phenomenally difficult to turn into cold, hard cash.

They could use that Isk (in game currency) to keep playing the game for the four hundred years, sure, but if they wanted to sell it for money they'd have to use internet auctions, they'd have to sell at a fraction of the price (because the buyers would be buying less securely than the in-game timecode system) and the potential market isn't that large, so they'd drive down prices even further. Plus there's the fact that the company running EVE absolutely has these guys on their radar, so if they break the ToS by selling the isk on ebay or the like, they're in serious danger of deletion.

Yes, buying that much isk outright would cost you fifty thousand dollars, but it'd be extremely difficult to make even a tenth of that by selling it.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OK, I understand how it works. I suppose the next question would be now that they have 700 billion isk, what is the griefiest thing they could do with that money, were they so inclined? Is there some ridiculous monster ship you can buy that would demolish everyone else? Could they just take it out of the in-game economy and sit on it? Could they invest isk in an in-game banking system with an interest rate? Could they crash the in-game economy by flooding the market with money and causing inflation?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hungryjack posted:

OK, I understand how it works. I suppose the next question would be now that they have 700 billion isk, what is the griefiest thing they could do with that money, were they so inclined? Is there some ridiculous monster ship you can buy that would demolish everyone else? Could they just take it out of the in-game economy and sit on it? Could they invest isk in an in-game banking system with an interest rate? Could they crash the in-game economy by flooding the market with money and causing inflation?

It's a drop in the bucket, and there's no monster ship you could buy--the best ship in the game loses to a whole bunch of small crappy ships. I guess you could use it to destabilize some random part market, but because things are sold at locations and there's not a centralized clearinghouse, it'd take time for the changes to spread through space, and just as many people would turn a profit on these changing market conditions as would lose money.

You could pay people to betray their corporations? I guess? But if you pay someone before they betray a corp they'll just take the money and laugh at you, but if you pay someone after they betray the corp they're chumps and you could have just kept the money and used it to bribe someone else.

Also, every in-game banking system with an interest rate is a scam to get your money.

e: Spend the money on an enormous fleet of terrible, terrible poo poo ships, and share them with your friends. Use these expendible pieces of scrap to suicide bomb other player's more expensive ships--especially ones they've spent all their money on and can't replace as easily as you can replace your tin cans. You can do several billion isk of damages with a few hundred million isk of ships.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 16, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's a drop in the bucket, and there's no monster ship you could buy--the best ship in the game loses to a whole bunch of small crappy ships. I guess you could use it to destabilize some random part market, but because things are sold at locations and there's not a centralized clearinghouse, it'd take time for the changes to spread through space, and just as many people would turn a profit on these changing market conditions as would lose money.

You could pay people to betray their corporations? I guess? But if you pay someone before they betray a corp they'll just take the money and laugh at you, but if you pay someone after they betray the corp they're chumps and you could have just kept the money and used it to bribe someone else.

Also, every in-game banking system with an interest rate is a scam to get your money.

e: Spend the money on an enormous fleet of terrible, terrible poo poo ships, and share them with your friends. Use these expendible pieces of scrap to suicide bomb other player's more expensive ships--especially ones they've spent all their money on and can't replace as easily as you can replace your tin cans. You can do several billion isk of damages with a few hundred million isk of ships.

If you went to Jita (the central trading hub in EVE) with 700b you could gently caress up a hell of a lot of markets.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Clearly the solution here is to promise to pay half now, half when it's already done, and just keep the second half.

VV I dunno. I was just making a stupid suggestion for a game I've never played :v:

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 19, 2011

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

liquidypoo posted:

Clearly the solution here is to promise to pay half now, half when it's already done, and just keep the second half.

Don't they have a "who's who" to prevent scams and such?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Don't they have a "who's who" to prevent scams and such?

Claim you have one, and charge lotsa-ISK to to a "Background Check" on someone. :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Crowley posted:

Claim you have one, and charge lotsa-ISK to to a "Background Check" on someone. :haw:

:aaaaa:

Hoooly poo poo. This is genius.

Be right back, registering the "New Eden Capsuleer Records" corp name.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Don't forgot to blackmail for a portion of someone's profits if they are a known scammer, when somebody asks for a background check.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
While we are on the topic of eve, one of the best I can think of was when they allowed the in-game timecode item PLEX to be transferrable between stations in a ship's cargo. Massively can explain better than I can but in short, LITERALLY $1295 (these are bought with real money and isn't against the EULA) was being carried by a pitifully weak ship and was destroyed. They explained after being ridiculed for several days they found a large profit margin by hauling them, which later turned out to be only a few million, which was much less than the 22 billion of assets lost. In fact, this was the alliance's Leader, and had spent the entire alliance's wallet on buying these, so he gutted the alliance in one stupid move.

Also, they were actively at war with those who killed him.

Cubbies
Jul 23, 2008
The trick to greifing in Warcraft 3 is to play normally for the first few minutes. If your allies see you without anything but workers, they instantly will just bitch, then leave. I would play as human and start out just fine, telling which hero I am getting and building a few units. After a few minutes and a few workers built I would stop all production of troops and go straight for peasants. Now Warcraft 3 has two resources, Wood and Gold. Gold you could only gather at a certain rate at certain places, but wood was just ordering your workers to cut down trees. You could have 75+ workers all just chopping down trees.

After gathering a good portion of workers and while my allies were distracted with a fight, I would send all my workers to their base. After the initial fight, the allies would look back to their base with 50 of my peasants chopping down their trees. They instantly start complaining

:supaburn:"What the hell are you doing!!"
:v: "It looked like you needed help chopping down your trees!"
or
:v: "I am all out of trees, let me borrow a few."

Most people would just start yelling at me to stop. I would apologize then leave their base with no trees left for them. Some would give me lumber and tell me to go away. I would thank them and leave one tree by their base. I would often at this point start asking my allies to send me more wood which often sent them in a furious rage. Then when their base was being attacked I would send 3,000+ wood to them and say "This should help you defend your base ;)" as their base is steamrolled, which just pissed them off even more.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's a drop in the bucket, and there's no monster ship you could buy--
I beg your pardon.

To add content, a few weeks ago a group of us enjoyed the glories of what had to be the stupidest player in EVE Online. Given that this is a distinction most players in EVE seem to relish with the zeal of a cult member, we must give special commendation for our prizewinner. We were all in a fleet during a pleasant little roaming operation, when the FC (fleet commander) pipes up that he'd just been contacted by a person who was the victim of a recruitment scam.

For the sake of the five people reading this who don't want to go back over 198 pages of thread, recruitment scams are one of the most popular things goons do in EVE. They are simple things to run, especially since the average EVE player doesn't take the time to do his homework on how goons play the game. All they know is that our alliance has control of a nice chunk of valuable game-space and that they want to make oodles of game money in it like good little robots. So you just tell a mouth-breathing greedhead that to get in our group they have to pay an up-front fee, often with the added trick of having them transfer you all of their inventory "to see it gets to goonspace safely." These scams can hit individual players, or sometimes you get lucky and a whole corporation or alliance dumps a fortune into your lap.

Getting back to the main tale, this guy was one such victim. He'd paid something like 800 mil of in-game currency to apply, but had not been contacted by the player in question since. So the rest of the fleet eggs on the FC and pretty soon he's been able to get another 700 mil out of the guy. Classic. Double dips are a nice bonus to a good scam and not an uncommon finish to these things.

But it gets even more hilarious when he goes to complain to another corp member and ends up giving that guy almost everything he had left. We're all so busy laughing that some of us almost lose our ships to in-game rats at a stargate.

The capper? Yep, he did it again. The last of his money and assets went to a final scammer, who must have been sad to get leftovers from such a willing mark. All in the space of an hour. This is the stuff of legends.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me
Fool me four times, check for brain activity.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 29, 2011

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Before anyone asks, rats are the name for npc pirates.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's too bad, the image I had in my head before I read that was way cooler.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
It's simple and stupid, but there's something so fun to me about trolling conservative, active/ex military, white Americans that I seek out games that they congregate to just because their reactions are just the best I've ever seen.

I recently discovered that World of Tanks attracts exactly this sort of "special" demographic. Hopping in a game and blathering on about how the infidel Americans will soon be ended and allah will judge you all for your crimes against the Iraqi people and we will rape your lands etc. etc. generally leads to a lot of frothing at the mouth and (more often than not) getting teamkilled quickly.

I just love these games, I haven't had this much fun in five years when my main goal was to get banned from every "Christian clan" server I could find in America's Army, which was no small undertaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

It's simple and stupid, but there's something so fun to me about trolling conservative, active/ex military, white Americans that I seek out games that they congregate to just because their reactions are just the best I've ever seen.

I recently discovered that World of Tanks attracts exactly this sort of "special" demographic. Hopping in a game and blathering on about how the infidel Americans will soon be ended and allah will judge you all for your crimes against the Iraqi people generally leads to a lot of frothing at the mouth and (more often than not) getting teamkilled quickly.

I just love these games, I haven't had this much fun in five years when my main goal was to get banned from every "Christian clan" server I could find in America's Army, which was no small undertaking.

Well, if you enjoy griefing this demographic, you should also check out the Red Orchestra and Battlefield communities. RO has a ton of ex-military or military wannabees who want to armchair general. Battlefield has a lot of prominent Christian servers/clans as well. I remember playing on the Men of God server and they took it down for Wednesday night Bible study.

• Locked thread