Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Jut posted:

Just like they thought logically when looting, rounding up black guys and performing executions CQ would have been proud of.
Here's the logic that will be going on "this is mine, I fought for it", who the gently caress are the TNC to tell me what to do? Remember not all the rebel groups submit to TNC authority.

Well, here's hoping Post-Gaddafi Libya isn't too violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
I'm pretty sure the heavy equipment (tanks, AA guns) will be requisitioned by the army - they're not exactly easy to hide or supply in ammo.
While they may not be automatic assault rifles, there's plenty of guns in the US and many of their owners would be pretty pissed if the government tried to take them away. They feel like their forefathers fought for the right to bear these arms; the rebels just fought with theirs for their freedom.

Here's an article about Qatar's involvement in the military campaign :
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/08/tiny-qatar-flexed-big-muscles-in-libya/

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Brown Moses posted:

This Economist article is a great primer for understanding the structure of NTC and it's military.

The whole thing is worth a read by anyone with an interest in Libya and it's future.

Kind of reminds me of how the American rebel army was structured ca 1776.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The unneeded weapons will probably end up in sub-Saharan Africa eventually, where they'll sadly be put to use in some capacity.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Arkane posted:

The unneeded weapons will probably end up in sub-Saharan Africa eventually, where they'll sadly be put to use in some capacity.

Maybe, but maybe not. It's a guess but Qaddafi may likely be the biggest small arms proliferator on the continent. Who knows how many guns probably ended up transitioning out of his reserves into the hands of African militiamen? Do you think he was going to keep these arms in his inventory if he crushed the rebels?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
pretend I posted these articles instead

http://blogs.channel4.com/world-news-blog/caught-up-in-somebody-elses-war/18046

:nms: http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/08/28/libya-gaddafi-forces-suspected-executing-detainees :nms:

Xandu fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 28, 2011

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Do you really want to open up that can of worms in this otherwise informative thread?

Sneakums
Nov 27, 2007
MAXIMUM.SNEAK.
Yes, please lets keep the thread focused on updates rather than speculation. I don't want to backseat mod, but Arms proliferation/Gulf Expat stories could really use their separate threads cause they have spilled into this thread and others before.

Anyhow, strange things going on in Bahrain:

Bahrain king pardons some protesters

quote:

Bahrain will dismiss charges against some people detained during a deadly government crackdown against pro-democracy protests earlier this year, the Gulf nation's king said in a televised speech to the nation.

King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa made the pledge in an address on Sunday to mark the approaching end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan - more than six months after his government launched its crackdown.

"There are those who are charged with abusing us and senior officials in Bahrain, we today announce that we forgive them," he said.

"Although I do not like to interfere in the course of justice, I would like to confirm that all the cases of civilians will have their verdicts issued by a civil court," he said.

However, he offered no clear concessions towards Bahrain's majority Shia population, who helped lead the protests and whose demands include an easing of the Sunni dynasty's hold on power, setting policies and hand picking government officials.

Bahrain's Shia make up about 70 per cent of the island kingdom's 525,000 citizens, and complain that they face widespread discrimination, such as being excluded from top political and security posts.

King Hamad urged those who had been mistreated in custody in the aftermath of the crackdown to file a complaint, saying that the law allows compensation for them.

"The recent period was painful to all of us. Although we live in one country, some have forgotten the inevitability of co-existence. Therefore, we should not abandon our belief in having the same and common future, and should not lose trust in each other as brothers, colleagues and citizens," he said.

This stuff is very similar to what's been said in Syria and Egypt before more protests started. Anyone have other articles that bring some insight to this? Or is there room left for Dialogue and Effective Reform ™ ?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

For the most part, the actual protests in Bahrain have been over for a while, but they've spent the past few months going after "dissidents" (including doctors) and firing them from their jobs or putting them on trial in secret military courts.

Parliamentary elections are coming up in September to replace the Shia delegates that resigned earlier in the year, and al-Wifaq is threatening to boycott the elections. The article doesn't go into it, but my guess is this is a move to placate the opposition and give the appearance, especially to the international community, that everything is fine.

edit: Especially since there's still a small possibility of F1 not returning.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 28, 2011

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Khamis may (or may not) be dead:

quote:

The possibility of Khamis el-Qaddafi’s death has been reported at least twice before. On Sunday, a rebel leader, Col. Ahmed Bani, said at a news conference that attempts were under way to identify the dead from a confrontation on Saturday about 50 miles from Tripoli, but that the captured survivors had identified themselves as bodyguards assigned to protect Khamis el-Qaddafi.

The confrontation occurred in Tarhuna, a small city southeast of Tripoli that lies along a route that connects both to Surt and the loyalist stronghold to the south, Sabha.

Colonel Bani said that what appeared to be a civilian convoy had tried to speed through a checkpoint, and that men in some of the vehicles had fired on the rebels. The rebels opened fire with heavy weapons, he said, destroying two armored vehicles at the center of the convoy chosen as targets because the other cars seemed to be trying to protect them.

The armored vehicles burned, charring the remains of all those inside so badly that so far, no identifications have been made, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/world/africa/29libya.html?_r=1&hp

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
That fist won't be crushing its US jet anymore.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Lascivious Sloth posted:

It's cool guys I liked you better all along
mathaba.net quoted Zubaidi telling one of their reporters that he was going with the flow because he would be broke otherwise, but they've since retracted the quote with little explanation.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Gaddafi is a bad man
I'm eager to see what kind of agency on the part of the Gaddafi government was involved here. Accusing a country of "creating" a refugee situation at the very moment that it's being bombed is becoming a familiar theme.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 29, 2011

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14705004

TL;DR, Guy who was found guilty of Lockerbie has been found in a coma (so looks like he was terminal in the end), some people in Scotland and the US want him extradited, NTC said GTFO he's staying in Libya.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Jut posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14705004

TL;DR, Guy who was found guilty of Lockerbie has been found in a coma (so looks like he was terminal in the end), some people in Scotland and the US want him extradited, NTC said GTFO he's staying in Libya.

What's the point of extraditing a comatose and dying man? I am one of those who think he shouldn't have been released from Scotland but what's done is done now and it genuinely looks like he's living out his very last days now.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What's the point of extraditing a comatose and dying man? I am one of those who think he shouldn't have been released from Scotland but what's done is done now and it genuinely looks like he's living out his very last days now.

I'd imagine the people who want him extradited again even now are the same who have been doubting how sick he really is since the time of his release. I agree with you that extradition is pointless now, but given the guy had "three months to live" two years ago I'm hardly astonished at rumors of deceit in it all.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Kill him quicker?

I'm not usually one for conspiracies, but I've always been wary of his guilt in the first place. That Palestinian theory seemed to hold some water. That being said, I've also read a couple of stories in the past week that seems to reaffirm his guilt.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some interesting Tweets from the last few hours
Martin Chulov of the Guardian in Tripoli

quote:

Dr in #Tripoli hosp told me #Gaddafi's daughter Hannah who worked there ordered staff not to treat rebel wounded over past 6 months
Found #Libya card issued to mercenary from Chad. Said 'carry this with you & u will be safe & 'I am here to protect the king of kings'
#Tripoli's Abu Selim hosp closed & being disinfected. A rank mess of bloodied trolleys outside. Pervasive stench of death

Zeina Khodr of AJE in Tripoli

quote:

Still no running water in many areas of #Tripoli, electricity erratic,
Some supermarkets in #Tripoli are now open but shelves almost empty,
Thousands of libyans missing ... Believed to have been held in #Gaddafi prisons,
A woman has been searching for her brother taken by #Gaddafi forces weeks ago, she visits prisons where many were killed,
More bodies are being found in the #Yarmouk military barracks of the #Khamis #Gaddafi brigade, Libya,

Neal Mann of Sky News in Nawfaliyah, 50km east of Sirte

quote:

Rebels are consolidating their position around Nawfaliah,expecting some NATO air strikes on Gaddafi's forces position between here & Sirte
Rebels are bringing in multi-Grad rocket launchers to reinforce the area around Nawfaliyah

Jonny Hallam of the BBC, also in Nawfaliyah

quote:

a little boy just came up to me in #Nawfaliyah and asked if I had any chicken. they have not had chicken here since March.
Every time i see a train of grad rocket launchers coming down the road i'm surprised just how many they have. proper army now.
BBC just interviewed a #FF from Brighton UK. He said the Pro-Gads they have captured recently are not properly trained soldiers...
they are just 'die hard nut jobs' who are fanatical supporters of #Gaddafi but little fighting experience. Rolls reversed from March

Piers Scholfield of the BBC, in Ras Jdir on the Tunisian-Libyan border

quote:

At Ras Jdir border crossing. Quiet, some Libyan families queuing to go home, children hanging revolutionary flags out the car windows.

There were also protests in Misrata last night

quote:

Misrata rebels defy Libya's new regime
The first cracks in Libya's rebel coalition have opened, with protests erupting in Misrata against the reported decision of the National Transitional Council (NTC) to appoint a former Gaddafi henchman as security boss of Tripoli.

Media reports said the NTC prime minister, Mahmoud Jibril, is poised to appoint Albarrani Shkal, a former army general, as the capital's head of security.

Protests erupted in the early hours of the morning in Misrata's Martyr's Square, with about 500 protesters shouting that the "blood of the martyrs" would be betrayed by the appointment.

Misrata's ruling council lodged a formal protest with the NTC, saying that if the appointment were confirmed Misratan rebel units deployed on security duties in Tripoli would refuse to follow NTC orders.

Misratans blame Shkal for commanding units that battered their way into this city in the spring, terrorising and murdering civilians.

NTC sources say Shkal, formerly a key confidant of Muammar Gaddafi, turned rebel informer in May, passing valuable information back to the rebel capital, Benghazi.

But Misratans believe that prior to that, he was operations officer for the 32nd brigade, whose overall commander is Gaddafi's son Khamis.

The brigade took the leading role in a siege that saw tanks and artillery bombard residential areas of the city, murdering several hundred civilians.

Shouting above anti-Jabril chanting and volleys of gunfire being fired into the air, one protester, Mohammed Zubia, said many people were shocked by the news. He said: "Mr Jabril says he wants to include all people who worked for Gaddafi but how can we accept that? We need new blood."

Mr Jabril, whose NTC executive installed itself in Tripoli over the weekend, says he wants to build an "inclusive" administration. He appears to have the tacit support of London, with the defence secretary, Liam Fox, telling al-Jazeera it was important the NTC avoided excluding members of the former regime.

London is believed to be keen to avoid a rerun of Iraq, where a de-Baathification programme saw the ruling administration removed and chaos follow the US-led invasion in 2003.

But Misratans say allowing Gaddafi regime officials to take key security jobs is not the answer.

"I can't see any justication for [it] whatsoever," said Hassan al-Amin, who returned to the town after 28 years' exile spent in the UK. "We have a big force in Tripoli. They are not going to follow orders from a war criminal."

The president of Misrata's council, Sheikh Khalifa Zuwawi, said Misratan rebel troops controlling many strategic points across Tripoli may refuse to obey NTC orders.

"I think all the Libyan thwar [revolutionary fighters] will not obey his [Shkal's] orders, not just those from Misrata," Zuwawi told the Guardian. "Shkal is with Gaddafi. Not long ago he was using troops to shell people in Misrata. Mahmoud Jibril cannot do it just by himself: it is against the people."

Behind the protests is a wider grudge between Misratans and the NTC, which many accuse of representing Benghazi rather than Libyans as a whole. Misrata's military council continues to refuse to follow orders from NTC army commanders, and some rebels complain that Misrata's units and those from the Nafua mountains, to the west, have not been recognised as having been the key to the fall of Tripoli.

"We won't follow his [Shkal's] orders, no," said Walid Tenasil, a Misratan fighter returning to garrison duty in Tripoli. "Our message to the NTC is: just remember the blood. That is it."

Misrata's protests pose a potential security problem for the NTC because it has come to rely on Misratan rebel units holding strategic points in the capital.

Andrew Simmons of AJE tweeted about the protest:

quote:

Last night's Misrata protest New Faces New Libya peaceful. No celebratory gunfire. Mainly civilians.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm sure its all just bluster. The prospect of extraditing a guy who is basically already a corpse to face questioning and charges for crimes he has already been convicted and served his entire sentence for? It's ridiculous.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Slave posted:

I'm sure its all just bluster. The prospect of extraditing a guy who is basically already a corpse to face questioning and charges for crimes he has already been convicted and served his entire sentence for? It's ridiculous.

He was sentenced to life in prison.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/a-qaddafi-family-photo-album/

This is just amazing. Gaddafi's family photos.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 29, 2011

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

CeeJee posted:

He was sentenced to life in prison.

And life means life huh?
He was let go on humanitarian grounds, and diplomatic grounds. The only reason to want him behind bars is for purposes of revenge. Beside it's a moot point, the NTC said no.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
The whole thing with his release was pretty dodgy. I agree with the Scottish Government releasing him on compassion grounds, but not with the UK Gov helping the Libyans to get him released for purely diplomatic reasons.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

The whole thing with his release was pretty dodgy. I agree with the Scottish Government releasing him on compassion grounds, but not with the UK Gov helping the Libyans to get him released for purely diplomatic reasons.

Releasing a terminally ill fall guy in exchange for diplomatic favours (read: business deals) at least puts him to use. The other option would be to leave him inside for two years on the taxpayers dime for revenge sake. He wasn't a threat to anybody anymore.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007

Jut posted:

Releasing a terminally ill fall guy in exchange for diplomatic favours (read: business deals) at least puts him to use. The other option would be to leave him inside for two years on the taxpayers dime for revenge sake. He wasn't a threat to anybody anymore.

Justice should never involve any considerations to business deals, or to diplomatic favours (unless under strict circumstances, i.e. not just economic gain). It is an unfortunate success of capitalism if we're including economic gain in the judicial system.

Also, there are reports that he's only lived longer due to some kind of expensive treatment not available in Scotland. So he may have died within 3 months or so if he remained in prison.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Xandu posted:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/a-qaddafi-family-photo-album/

This is just amazing. Gaddafi's family photos.

#6 "Who wants this baby?"

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Justice should never involve any considerations to business deals, or to diplomatic favours (unless under strict circumstances, i.e. not just economic gain). It is an unfortunate success of capitalism if we're including economic gain in the judicial system.

Also, there are reports that he's only lived longer due to some kind of expensive treatment not available in Scotland. So he may have died within 3 months or so if he remained in prison.

Don't confuse justice with vengeance. Keeping a man in prison until he dies is not justice. There was no reason to keep him there given his condition, and considering the opportunity there for some benefit to come from him, taking it wasn't a bad call.
I think his release was a mixture of compassion, the BP deal and not wanting to have egg on face during his appeal if he was found innocent given the SCCRC evidence against his conviction.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
He killed three hundred people in a terror attack and did barely ten years in prison.

Fucker should have been lynched.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
^^^ Lynching is never justice.
People were calling him a scapegoat. In what sense was he a scapegoat?
Not trolling, just ignorant of the issue at hand.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

There are claims that he wasn't actually responsible for the bombing.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

VanSandman posted:

The SCCRC looked at the evidence and concluded that there may have been a miscarriage in justice, just before his second appeal. That appeal was never concluded as they decided to release him on grounds of his health.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some updates from Twitter, nothing exciting is going on, possibly Eid related:
Gavin Lee of the BBC in Tripoli

quote:

Only 20 per cent of medical staff are still working in #Tripoli hospitals acc latest from NTC health dept. Urgent call for more staff

Paul Danahar of the BBC in Tripoli

quote:

NTC says it's going to start process of collecting guns from civilians in the coming days now the fighting is dying down
NTC says collection centers will be set up to gather guns in Tripoli from locals. #Libya is awash with them so sensible move
UK says now has small foreign office team in #Tripoli preparing for the opening up of an Embassy following fall of #Gaddafi regime

Sue Turton of AJE in Nafusa

quote:

Rebel plane landed in Zintan of military officials from Benghazi and Misrata here to set up military op in Tripoli had rebel flag on tailfin

Jonny Hallam of the BBC in the east

quote:

What impact will the coming of Eid have on the fighting in Libya?
Colonel at the front says that negotiations are taking place between Gads and FF for a temporary ceasefire over Eid.
FF soldiers at the front knew nothing about ceasefire for Eid. they want to fight on. orders obviously haven't reached them yet.

Mary Fitzgerald of the Irish Times in Tripoli

quote:

Just as in Benghazi, there are lots of Libyan Boy Scouts helping out in Tripoli's hospitals these days
Lots of traffic jams in Tripoli today as people rush to prepare for Eid. Queues outside banks too

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

VanSandman posted:

There is a lot of stuff out there but the gist of it is that the trial is widely regarded as a total fuckup.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
Ticker on AJE saying that Gaddafi's wife, daughter, and 2 of his sons are in Algeria.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Ticker on AJE saying that Gaddafi's wife, daughter, and 2 of his sons are in Algeria.

For clarification: Muammar Gaddafi's wife and three of his children are in Algeria, an Algerian official told the AFP.

Al Jazeera sources said the individuals were: his second wife Safia, his sons Muhmmad and Hannibal, and his daughter Ayesha

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
But where is HANNA!? Has she really been alive all these years, working as a doctor or some medical official telling the hospital staff not to heal the wounded rebels?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tortilla Maker posted:

For clarification: Muammar Gaddafi's wife and three of his children are in Algeria, an Algerian official told the AFP.

Al Jazeera sources said the individuals were: his second wife Safia, his sons Muhmmad and Hannibal, and his daughter Ayesha

I thought they were out of the country months ago. Ayesha has been making statements from Belarus, IIRC.

Of course, this hints that Qaddafi may be hiding out there.

AstroLabia
Dec 6, 2008
ugh... just saw CNN's interview with the nanny who says Hannibal's wife tortured her. (one of the son's who fled to Algeria).

The video is super NMS :cry: NMS http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/29/cnn-exclusive-luxury-horror-lurked-in-gadhafi-compound/?iref=allsearch NMS :cry: NMS

Really really sad. Just awful. Wish I could somehow donate to her cause. :ohdear:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
So, assuming Algeria's telling the truth, what are the odds of them extraditing Gaddafi to the ICC?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Unsurprisingly, the NTC isn't very happy with Algeria:

quote:

Rebels to seek return of Gaddafi family from Algeria
Libya's de facto government considers Algeria's sheltering of members of Muammar Gaddafi's family an act of aggression and will seek their extradition, a National Transitional Council spokesman said on Monday.

"We have promised to provide a just trial to all those criminals and therefore we consider this an act of aggression," spokesman Mahmoud Shamman told Reuters.

"We are warning anybody not to shelter Gaddafi and his sons. We are going after them in any place to find them and arrest them," he said.

Algeria's Foreign Ministry said Gaddafi's wife Safia, his daughter Aisha and his sons Hannibal and Mohammed had entered Algeria on Monday morning.

Their arrival was reported to the United Nations and the Libyan rebel authorities, the state Algeria Press Service (APS) reported, citing the ministry.

"We consider what Algeria did as an act of aggression against the ambitions of the Libyan people," Shamman said. "We will take the necessary measures in light of this. We will ask for their extradition."

Algeria is the only one of Libya's north African neighbours which has yet to recognise the National Transitional Council, now Libya's de facto government, after Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli was overrun by rebels last week and he went into hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some good news from the AJE Live blog:

quote:

A Maltese-chartered tanker carrying 340 tons of drinking water as well as food supplies left Malta for the Libyan capital Tripoli Monday amid fears of a humanitarian crisis in the city.

The shipment included 300 tons donated by the only water supplier in Malta and 40 tons of bottled mineral water given by ordinary Maltese, as well as food, long-life milk and medicine collected in Malta over the weekend.

Malta last week sent 400 tons of food and 250 tons of medicine to Tripoli.
Judging by the tweets I'm seeing from journalists in Tripoli things are slowly becoming more stables, and hopefully all these supplies will stop it falling back into chaos.

Small update on Zawiyah from Paul Scholfield of the BBC via twitter

quote:

Passed through Zawiyah on our way in. Lots of shops open, people going about their business one week after serious fighting there.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 29, 2011

• Locked thread