Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

al-azad posted:

As Kiggles said you can gauge your strength when there's noticeable mechanics behind the action. No matter how many upgrades I got or resources I pumped into little "+150% shields" etc. the change in my character's power wasn't as dramatic as the first game where equipment gradually scaled by level. ME1 suffered from the same 3 locations recycled everywhere and the "Christmas Tree" +1, +2, +3 magic item effect but those were problems that could easily be fixed.

ME2 just felt like I was playing Gears of War for 50 hours but it totally lacked the set pieces that makes Gears entertaining. ME1's planets, vehicle sections, and equipment tied it together setting it apart from every other shooter. They could have polished those sections instead of axing them altogether. Just to salt the wounds the Overlord DLC had a vehicle section and it was loving beautiful. I didn't think the Unreal Engine could make outdoor scenery look like that.

I may sound weird saying this, but the differences in the two games is actually why I like them so much. I can play ME1 just to carry over a new character to 2, even though you can pick your class and redo your face in 2, I still like doing the consistent storyline and character. And since both games have quite a few differences, I can play them back to back without getting bored! I agree that a couple of things in 1 could be tweaked to be better, and there are things about it that I miss in 2, but we have what we have, and I find both systems enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

al-azad posted:

As Kiggles said you can gauge your strength when there's noticeable mechanics behind the action. No matter how many upgrades I got or resources I pumped into little "+150% shields" etc. the change in my character's power wasn't as dramatic as the first game where equipment gradually scaled by level. ME1 suffered from the same 3 locations recycled everywhere and the "Christmas Tree" +1, +2, +3 magic item effect but those were problems that could easily be fixed.

ME2 just felt like I was playing Gears of War for 50 hours but it totally lacked the set pieces that makes Gears entertaining. ME1's planets, vehicle sections, and equipment tied it together setting it apart from every other shooter. They could have polished those sections instead of axing them altogether. Just to salt the wounds the Overlord DLC had a vehicle section and it was loving beautiful. I didn't think the Unreal Engine could make outdoor scenery look like that.
I'll say that ME2 main campaign was a letdown compared to the first's, while they knocked it out of the park with side content. But screw the Mako sections, that thing is crap and even Shepard could run faster than it; especially if you disabled the stamina limit on running.
You say that AP and ME are pretty much the same game but AP goes much deeper into RPG territory than ME did, and that's why I liked it better, even with all it's shoddiness.
The only saving grace for ME was it's campagin's setpieces. The shallow RPG mechanics were already distilled enough so that the experience was closer to a shooter with some RPG flavour, but what resulted was neither a particular good shooter nor RPG.
Bioware could have gone with a deeper RPG experience for ME2, but instead opted to go further into shooter territory; either way, the resulting sequel is a much better game.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 27, 2011

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

MM7 is considered the 'best' of the 3D MM titles (6 through 9). Both 6 and 8 are good games (6 is my favorite in the latter half of the series, and I would encourage you to find a copy and play it if you enjoy 7). Stay away from 9, though. That game effectively killed the series :(.

Too late- as a young 'un, I bought it when it first came out, and :gonk:

Ad for 6, already have it :c00lbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'd never played Final Fantasy 7 past the first disc, but this time I think I'm ready to give it another shot. What's the best Final Fantasy 7 experience out there, PS1 disc via my PS2, or a PC version with my xbox controller?

Play it on the PC, with this mod:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8915.0

It automatically installs dozens of mods, like higher quality character models, fmvs and music, as well as bug fixes and translation corrections.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

I'll say that ME2 main campaign was a letdown compared to the first's, while they knocked it out of the park with side content. But screw the Mako sections, that thing is crap and even Shepard could run faster than it; especially if you disabled the stamina limit on running.
You say that AP and ME are pretty much the same game but AP goes much deeper into RPG territory than ME did, and that's why I liked it better, even with all it's shoddiness.
The only saving grace for ME was it's campagin's setpieces. The shallow RPG mechanics were already distilled enough so that the experience was closer to a shooter with some RPG flavour, but what resulted was neither a particular good shooter nor RPG.
Bioware could have gone with a deeper RPG experience for ME2, but instead opted to go further into shooter territory; either way, the resulting sequel is a much better game.

The great thing about Alpha Protocol is that it didn't artificially inflate the game with bullshit. Having the game literally shut doors behind you in a mission was annoying but it didn't force you to run through bland hubs with three or four NPCs and the pacing was tight, tight, tight. If ME2 had the same pacing as AP where it cut out all the walking and jumped straight to missions, no hub areas and a galaxy map that just instantly warped you a la ME1 (what was the point of fuel anyway? to prolong the experience?) it would be a game that's 15 hours max and I would have enjoyed it loads better.

A game for me has to go all the way or not at all. It's difficult to explain but the best example I can think of is Mount & Blade. Imagine if the game took away town menus and forced you to walk through every single town and city whenever you wanted to do a single thing. Want to visit a single merchant? Walk through town. Go to the castle? Walk through town. Want to exit the town? Sorry, no quick exit button, you have to walk back to the gate you entered from. If the town is necessary for flavor then let the player walk through it once. If the only thing of interest in a town are shops, just cut out the boring poo poo and let the player teleport to a shop. If there are quest givers, place them in the most important areas. If you're going to start cutting things so there's a greater focus on a particular action then go all the way and cut the erroneous poo poo. Heavy Rain wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable if it contained a huge city map like LA Noire and forced you to drive everywhere (and if that game didn't have an auto-drive I wouldn't have finished it).

It's ironic that we complain about single player games getting shorter and shorter in favor of multiplayer content but RPGs have consistently padded their length for the sake of padding their length. Right now I'm finishing up Mana Khemia which is annoying as hell because they put the item creation station and the weapon creation station in two separate rooms forcing you to walk back and forth unless you physically write down the recipes you need. I was okay with artificially padding as a kid but as an adult it's bullshit. The Witcher 2 was the perfect length for the content it had which kept me coming back for a second run. I think I'm on my fourth run of AP and I wouldn't be if the game was a 40 hour epic. My first run I played it as a rookie action hero, no stealth or putting points into anything but health, hand-to-hand, and assault rifle. The second run was as a stealthy veteran and the game was twice as enjoyable.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 27, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So I've been ignoring news on Grand Knights History, but these two trailers sold me: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/26/a-much-meatier-pair-of-trailers-for-grand-knights-history/

Battle system looks awesome, graphics look amazing.

Too bad there's no news of a english translation :(

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I finally bought Radiant Historia (new, but without a serial number!?) for the DS. Haven't really started it yet but I'm excited to once I finish Dragon Quest V. Question: without spoiling much, is there anything I need to remember or worry about so I don't have to GameFAQ this much?

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

I finally bought Radiant Historia (new, but without a serial number!?) for the DS. Haven't really started it yet but I'm excited to once I finish Dragon Quest V. Question: without spoiling much, is there anything I need to remember or worry about so I don't have to GameFAQ this much?
I'm not exactly super far through it but I don't think you have to for too much, unless you're really anal about finishing side-quests. For example, in the beginnings of Chapter 1, I believe, someone asks you to find a flower. Well there's no indication of this but you won't actually find the seeds for one until well into Chapter 2, a good few hours down the line if you work on all your potential options and don't blast through the main campaign. And that's just the beginning of that flower quest.

Either way, as has been said, it's impossible to permanently miss anything since you can jump back in time to previous points and replay them. Keep to the traditional RPG formula of talking to everyone, and again if you advance the plot, while exploring all the areas, and it should cover you for almost everything but the most esoteric of bits. And again, this is just if you're really neurotic about 100%.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All right RPG thread, it's got some pretty bad reviews but I like its bright colours and low price point. So tell me, is Wild Arms XF for the PSP a game worth playing?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Wendell posted:

All right RPG thread, it's got some pretty bad reviews but I like its bright colours and low price point. So tell me, is Wild Arms XF for the PSP a game worth playing?

Would you enjoy a FFT style battle/job system except half the maps are horrible gimmicks that do things like make all but one class completely useless or make you lure enemies tediously out of water so you can damage them?

I hear it gets better later but I wasn't able to stomach chapter 1.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Wendell posted:

Personally, I liked it. It's true that most of the early levels are gimmick levels, but some of them are entertaining and then the game opens up into more open areas where you can rock house. The system is FFT-like, but most of the skills are nothing like what you'll see in FFT - think Wild Arms 4/5's skill and hex systems but applied to a large map. The plot is about what you'd expect from a Wild Arms game, though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there any new game out there with a castle like system like the Suikoden games?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that Arx Fatalis actually has toilets. Too many sandbox RPGs ignore the fact that even goblins and necromancers need some place to take a poo poo but Arx Fatalis does not. There are numerous toilets scattered throughout the dank and dark halls of the underground city of Arx. At one point in the game you even need to put wine into the food of a character that gets sick from wine in order to get him to go to the shitter so you can have a chat.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Is there any new game out there with a castle like system like the Suikoden games?

Depends what you mean. NWN2 and the Storm of Zehir expansion both gave you a keep, where you could chat with your pals and maintain and upgrade bits of it while sorting out sidequests and whatnot to help it prosper, but I wouldn't exactly call it Suikoden-style.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That loving Sned posted:

Play it on the PC, with this mod:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8915.0

It automatically installs dozens of mods, like higher quality character models, fmvs and music, as well as bug fixes and translation corrections.

Whoa, I had no idea this existed. My inner teenager is intrigued by this.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Wild ARMs XF is great if you want a game that expects you to think rather than numbers everything to death.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Stelas posted:

Depends what you mean. NWN2 and the Storm of Zehir expansion both gave you a keep, where you could chat with your pals and maintain and upgrade bits of it while sorting out sidequests and whatnot to help it prosper, but I wouldn't exactly call it Suikoden-style.

Yeah I liked the keep on NWN2, but I wanted more like Suikoden was, how it improved with each recruitable character, how it unlocked new content. And not like say AC2 villa where it's just a money maker.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Well there's indie PC rpg Exit Fate if you want something that's pretty much exactly like Suikoden. I think that's your best option.

SNES rpg Breath of Fire 2 has a really cool town-building and npc-recruiting system. It was innovative as all get out when it came out. The game is pretty ruthless and grindy by today's standards though but I like it a lot.

There's the Dark Cloud games which is basically rpg city building on a much larger scale. Not exactly Suikoden, but I find it scratches that same kind of itch, "my base is so much bigger now!" I guess this is more Actraiser inspired than Suikoden though.

Dragon Warrior 7 has a pretty complex town building thing. I don't recommend playing the game because it is somehow more ruthless and grindy than BOF2, it's also super long and poorly paced.

Other options include Skies of Arcadia for DC/GCN or Terranigma for SNES, they have limited building mechanics compared to Suikoden but they're there if you love upgrading places in your RPGs.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

casual poster posted:

So I've been ignoring news on Grand Knights History, but these two trailers sold me: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/26/a-much-meatier-pair-of-trailers-for-grand-knights-history/

Wow. It looks like Ogre Battle plus Unlimted SaGa minus terrible.

I'm in.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Hey unlimited saga is cool

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

stuff

I meant newer stuff actually. But I'm guessing there isnt. What about Suikoden Tierkesies? Did it had a castle at least?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Honest Thief posted:

Hey unlimited saga is cool

Parts of Unlimited SaGa were cool. The battle system, the graphics, the soundtrack, some of the more obscure subsystems... hell, I even thought the board game exploration system was pretty neat.

The Skill Panel system and most of the user interface can go die in a series of fires, though.

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 29, 2011

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Parts of Unlimited SaGa were cool. The battle system, the graphics, the soundtrack, some of the more obscure subsystems... hell I even though the board game exploration system was pretty neat.

The Skill Panel system and most of the user interface can go die in a series of fires, though.

I actually liked it all those except for the reel UI, I couldn't hit anything right, and for a game that uses it for everything its kinda important to get it right. Like most SaGa games I've played I never finished it but I truly enjoy it's mechanics, despite the shortcomings.
and the G is non-capitalized mister

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rasamune posted:

Learn how to use Skill Panels properly and you can have a party of tiny gods. :colbert:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Honest Thief posted:

and the G is non-capitalized mister

You'll have to pry that capital G from my cold, dead hands

Stelas posted:

Learn how to use Skill Panels properly and you can have a party of tiny gods. :colbert:

I know, but the system's still a clusterfuck to begin with.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't give it so much poo poo if they had just given you an option to turn down a new Panel after completing a quest. I mean, why would you not include that option, other than to punish the player for completing an easy quest at the wrong time?

(And yes, I know about the strategies for dealing with trash panels, but is that something a new player would know to do?)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

casual poster posted:

Aw nuts, PSP.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like that Arx Fatalis actually has toilets. Too many sandbox RPGs ignore the fact that even goblins and necromancers need some place to take a poo poo but Arx Fatalis does not. There are numerous toilets scattered throughout the dank and dark halls of the underground city of Arx. At one point in the game you even need to put wine into the food of a character that gets sick from wine in order to get him to go to the shitter so you can have a chat.

And you chat with him while he's making GBS threads his guts out.

But if there were toilets in Elder Scrolls you'd have a clan of players who peep on everyone in the toilet. There would be Steam groups, Wiki's devoted to making GBS threads schedules, and youtube series galore.

On second thought, put that feature in Bethesda.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Radiant Historia:

- I just hit two dead ends. I went with the special intelligence crew and hit a dead end about waiting for a merchant. I went with my best friends army and we got stuck at the mine waiting for the dynamite. Where do I go from here? I really don't want to touch the GameFAQ. Not sure where to go from here.

I really, really like the game so far but the amount of text you have to constantly skip is annoying.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Go to the other timeline and search for the merchant in the nearby area. The anwser always is go to the other timeline. Also you press start to skip cutscenes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lone Rogue posted:

Radiant Historia:
The Special Intel chapter flags don't go down until after you didn't get the shipment with Bosch and choose whichever option doesn't give you a game over. Now try going back to the chapter you started with.

quote:

I really, really like the game so far but the amount of text you have to constantly skip is annoying.
I think you can hold down Y or X to speed through text (I mean literally speed, it's like 10 text boxes per second), and I dunno, you might be able to press start or select to skip some scenes entirely.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ehh... Are you this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyGamer#g/c/CC2C5175667182DA

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Rasamune posted:

Wow. It looks like Ogre Battle plus Unlimted SaGa minus terrible.

I'm in.

Turns out the battle system is turn based, not action based (like odin sphere) as I originally had thought. But still, definitely going to buy it. The screens look beautiful: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425898

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Also you press start to skip cutscenes
This is absolutely critical to enjoying this game

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

casual poster posted:

Turns out the battle system is turn based, not action based (like odin sphere) as I originally had thought. But still, definitely going to buy it. The screens look beautiful: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425898

I'm trying to figure out if the grand scale map is a scripted thing or free form more like Dragon Force. I can't really peg what the game actually plays like, or how the jump-in multiplayer thing is supposed to play into it either. Can't wait to try it in any event.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

About 3 hours into the first Persona remake on PSP. Good god is this game ugly with a horrid font that's annoying to read. Is this thing as short as I think it is (only a handful of dungeons it seems)? I probably won't ever touch Snow Queen based on how frustrating I hear it is.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just as a general question, why is Atlus' site down over half the time I go to visit it?

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I just decided I'm playing Valkyrie Profile 2 all night long.

More people should decide this.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I just decided I'm playing Valkyrie Profile 2 all night long.

More people should decide this.

So if you've played this game before you probably remember how great the combat was. Go play it again. It's even better than you remember.

If you haven't played this game before, get it. Just get it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

So if you've played this game before you probably remember how great the combat was. Go play it again. It's even better than you remember.

I trust Melvin's advice, just ordered from amazon.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah it's great to play the game until chapter 4 or whatever when it decides to pull the wool over your eyes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I got to right before chapter 3 back when the game came out, and learned that there were still new mechanics to learn, and stopped playing. Plus the guide I was using was rewritten and changed a lot of strategies for parts I had already been through, like with what characters to pick from those dead bodies. I never really liked the battle system, it was such a bitch to get the correct item drops. Loved the first and the DS SRPG, though.