Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
So I bit the bullet anyways and got the fuel pump. So now I'll be running Stage 2+ once I get the pump and downpipe on. Should I consider colder plugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Sublime Process posted:

So I bit the bullet anyways and got the fuel pump. So now I'll be running Stage 2+ once I get the pump and downpipe on. Should I consider colder plugs?

Yes, consider colder plugs.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Do you think it is something that requires immediate attention/upgrading? Or just keep in mind my stock ones may not hold up much longer?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Guys I did a thing!

Am I part of the cool club now can i have that last mountain dew am i cool guys, guys? :shobon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You seem to be missing a turbo :colbert:

(Welcome to the club)

Edit: A thing showed up at my door today. Only $550 shipped from THMotorsports' group buy on mazda3forums. If nobody else has bought since I did, they should have at least one left at this price.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 21, 2011

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit: A thing showed up at my door today. Only $550 shipped from THMotorsports' group buy on mazda3forums. If nobody else has bought since I did, they should have at least one left at this price.

*Cool parts pics*

I'm mostly suspension ignorant - are those Koni Yellows? Or is FSD another kind?

What kind of springs are you going to be using with them?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FSDs are apparently somewhat similar to yellows, except with some funky valving that makes them much more daily-driver friendly. Not changing anything else, I just need some replacements for my 90k mile old stockers since the fronts are leaking.

That said, it's been roughly a million degrees here lately, I've never yanked struts on anything, and it will need an alignment after I'm done. Probably going to call around tomorrow to see what I'll have to pay to have the front struts done (I can probably do the rear shocks in an hour or less) along with an alignment.

I can say without a doubt this is the biggest box / most intricate packing I've ever seen for shocks. Every other set I've ordered (which, now that I think about it, are two sets for my GMC) just came in some much smaller simpler cardboard boxes.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Do they lower the car any, or that more primarily a spring "job"?

Edit: drat tab button..

As you said, I've heard the rears are super easy and the fronts are a huge pain in the rear end. So far I've only done power mods and I know I better start thinking of suspension and handling mods next, but I know so little :ohdear: I'll probably be going for the standard RMM next but I can't decide who has a better pissing match on urethane vs silicone/rubber or whatever.

I considered doing springs, but don't want to accelerate wear on my shocks any faster than normal. I also don't know how to change them out, except for reading how-to's. And I figured if you have to remove the shocks to do springs, may as well just change it all out at once, right?

I'm glad to hear they're more suited as a daily driver task, because that's what I'd be leaning towards myself if I ever do it. Good luck on your install. :D

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 22, 2011

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
My car makes all sorts of fun groaning and creaking noises that seem to be coming from the rear suspension, 2009 at around 45,000 miles. Anyone else getting any noise?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Check the rear sway bar end link nuts. You can lean down and see/feel them without raising it. They come loose pretty commonly.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What tires do you guys like for the stock first gen MS3 wheels? And, can you fit anything wider than a 215 on them? I have been looking for a set of the 17x8 STi BBS wheels or a pair of RPF1s in a similar size, but I haven't found anything nearby (and Mazdaspeedforums wants you to pay an annual donation to have access to their for-sale section).

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'm very, very happy with the Bridgestone Potenza RE760s on my Gen2. At least as grippy as factory with a better wear rating.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
STi wheels need milled out as they're a different..some word I can't remember. They don't fit naturally, anyways.

I'm running stock size with Hankook Ventus V12s - I like them fairly well for the cost.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sublime Process posted:

STi wheels need milled out as they're a different..some word I can't remember. They don't fit naturally, anyways.

I'm running stock size with Hankook Ventus V12s - I like them fairly well for the cost.

You're correct. They do have to be bored out to fit the Mazda hubs. You can occasionally get used wheels in pretty good condition for, and ~$400 having them bored out shouldn't be more than $100, I would hope. So it could turn out to be cheaper than a set of RPF1s-- and you get forged wheels out of it.

However, if anyone wants to pick these up for me, I don't think it'll be raining in Texas anytime soon.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I never posted about this here because it was just too depressing, but I went over a curb in the 'Speed a few months ago. I've put some significant work/money into it, but it still isn't quite right. I posted about it here and I'd appreciate your input, fellas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

I never posted about this here because it was just too depressing, but I went over a curb in the 'Speed a few months ago. I've put some significant work/money into it, but it still isn't quite right. I posted about it here and I'd appreciate your input, fellas.

Have you rotated the tires since?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Has anyone here put on a CPE fuel pump? The instructions that came with it today tell me to drain the engine coolant? :wtc:
In all the write-ups I've read, none have them mentioned that. Funny part is there isn't a step telling you to replace the coolant :pseudo:

Also, I got the cp-e certificate of ...authenticity and testing passes. It says the pump passed for leaks and has an 80.4% pumping efficiency. Is it me or is that low when concerning matters of fuel? I don't know what a normal range of efficiency would be, so I can be wrong but at the moment I'm slightly disappointed at the moment.

Edit: drat formatting..

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have you rotated the tires since?

Not in the 2k since miles they were put on. I did think about that, to see if the sensation changes. It's going in for an oil change next week and to get the steering/front suspension looked at in a bit more detail. I'll have them rotate them while it's in the air. I could do it myself but :effort:.

Sublime Process posted:

Has anyone here put on a CPE fuel pump?

Give cpe a call. They're an excellent company and will answer all of your questions over the phone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I would rotate the tires, and while doing so, give everything a hard tug to find some extra play somewhere. I would be inclined to check out the tie rods and steering rack myself.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Short version: What happens if the compressor dies while driving?

Slightly longer version:

I took my car into the dealership because I was hearing some sort of slight grinding coming from the front when I first start the engine and also while driving, most noticeably around 2000rpm.

They told me the compressor needs to be replaced. Over the phone, the guy recommended I wait until spring to fix it because I don't need A/C over winter (Canada). When I picked up my car, a different guy recommended I get it replaced ASAP.

So what actually happens if the compressor dies while driving? Will I simply lose AC but able to keep on driving until I get it replaced in the spring?

2006 2.3L hatch if it matters.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Stop using the AC. If it seizes while you're driving you'll at the very least throw the belt. You're safe if you keep the AC off.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They could parts-bin a Mazdaspeed5 with about twenty minutes of actual work (figuring out where to place the intercooler and ducting for it), but nope. Hell, if you want a manual Mazda5 as it is, you're relegated to the poverty spec, because nobody would ever want to row their own gears AND have HIDs!

Sorry I quoted this from so long ago but Im getting caught up on this thread and what you said hits home for me.
I love the Mazda5 with a passion. I own a 06 now and Id seriously go by a 2012 tomorrow if it werent for Mazda being stubborn.
All I want is the option to have a stick AND actual creature comforts.
My dream would be a Mazda5 in stick with bluetooth, 6 disc in dash, leather seats, and HIDs.

Mazda: You can have all of those....oh except for the stick!
Franco Caution: But I really want a stick
Mazda: Ok so pick a mazda5 sport and then you get NOTHING you are asking for outside of the stick.

Why waste the time even offering the configuration if you they are going to do it like that? :argh:

Just let me purchase a Grand Touring with a stick. Thats all I really want. Wait that's a lie, I want a Mazdaspeed5 version ultimately but Im willing to take it slow Mazda.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Re: Tires for stock MS3 wheels

I read on another forum that you can safely run 225/40r18s on the stock wheel. (Factory tire size is 215/45r18.)

Doing a really quick search shows that this tire size appears to be significantly cheaper/or at least offers more variety than the 215/45s. If I don't find a set of 17" wheels in the near future, I think this will be the size I go for.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 25, 2011

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

SynMoo posted:

Stop using the AC. If it seizes while you're driving you'll at the very least throw the belt. You're safe if you keep the AC off.

So I'm completely safe to use cool or hot air as long as the AC button is off? Sounds good!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MetaJew posted:

Re: Tires for stock MS3 wheels

I read on another forum that you can safely run 225/40r18s on the stock wheel. (Factory tire size is 215/45r18.)

Doing a really quick search shows that this tire size appears to be significantly cheaper/or at least offers more variety than the 215/45s. If I don't find a set of 17" wheels in the near future, I think this will be the size I go for.

Correct on both parts. I am running that size with Kumho SPT's.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

CanuckBassist posted:

So I'm completely safe to use cool or hot air as long as the AC button is off? Sounds good!

There is a safety switch on the compressor that will shut it off if it reaches a certain temperature or does not have enough refrigerant. So you won't exactly grenade the compressor, that risk hasn't been around for years.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Anybody have the new PCV system on their turbo motors? If so, does it seem to be working?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SiB posted:

Anybody have the new PCV system on their turbo motors? If so, does it seem to be working?

Did it ever finally come out?

SiB
May 6, 2005
Yes it did, i'm putting one on a CX-7 right now.

New valve cover, PCV hose, turbo inlet pipe, and a couple small vacuum lines.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CanuckBassist posted:

The defrost setting auto turns on the A/C. Maybe the foot vent setting too

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

The defrost setting auto turns on the A/C. Maybe the foot vent setting too

Ah screw it. I'm just going to get the compressor replaced. I read too many horror stories of it seizing, and the belt causing havoc to nearby components.

SiB
May 6, 2005

CanuckBassist posted:

Ah screw it. I'm just going to get the compressor replaced. I read too many horror stories of it seizing, and the belt causing havoc to nearby components.

You can unplug the electrical connector on the compressor, then even if the A/C is on the compressor wont kick in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SiB posted:

Yes it did, i'm putting one on a CX-7 right now.

New valve cover, PCV hose, turbo inlet pipe, and a couple small vacuum lines.

Goddamn that's a lot more parts than I expected. :stare: Given that I have 91k on mine and no smoking turbo I'm sure there's no chance in hell of me getting all that done gratis.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Is this a recall/TSB sort of thing? I'm not finding anything about a new PCV system via google.

Edit: Has anyone tried the Continental Extreme Contact DW?

SiB
May 6, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Is this a recall/TSB sort of thing? I'm not finding anything about a new PCV system via google.

Its an SSP, "Special Service Program", along with an extended turbo warranty. This kit goes on, and if the problem isn't fixed then the turbo is replaced. The problem is oil smoke at idle.... usually there is A LOT of smoke.

So the new valve cover just has a different fitting on it for the PCV hose. The new PCV hose is a much smaller diameter and connects to the new turbo inlet an inch before the turbo rather than on the large rubber hose close to the air filter. The small vacuum lines are for the wastegate solenoid, the new PCV hose is very close to them so they are longer to make clearance.

Ill take a couple photos of the next one I do, its simple really.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Changed out my fuel pump yesterday. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but after I got comfortable the job really wasn't that bad at all.

All that is needed in an 8mm and 10mm socket, 17mm and 19mm box end, E8 torx bit, and about an hour to two hours of time. I took longer than that, but I had to deal with my intake and inlet coming apart at their joint and some small stuff. Essentially you just remove your battery, intake/inlet, fuel lines and the torx bolts. Just don't forget to reconnect your MAF sensor like I did. :blush:

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Surprise today! Noticed part of my inner left-rear fender lining (if that is what it's called) missing on my 2010 MS3.

Looking at Mazda parts diagrams, can't figure out WTF it is. The actual top lining (which is it seems what they sell) is fine.

Can anyone point me in the right direction parts/parts number wise? Or should I just leave it..

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

My family is growing and the two seater might not be working out too well going forward.
Im thinking of checking out an 11 Speed3 tomorrow with Tech Package.
Does anyone know if the integrated GPS still sucks or if improvements got made at some point?

Id rather just not have the nav at all, but that wont work since its included in the tech package. HIDS are a must for me.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

The Nav never sucked from my understanding, but was just small.

Think long and hard before picking out the Speed3 for a family car. Yes, it's versatile, but it's far from smooth and will probably wake the baby up when you go over bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I had read back in 2010 that the navigation routes sucked and took people all sorts of out of the way. And like you mentioned, that the screen was really small.

I should have clarified the family growing part. Daughter is 5 and when I purchased the previous vehicle, she wasnt living with us. That has changed.

The biggest issue Im having now is the idea of getting rid of my vette and some what downgrading a bit to a different car.

Items I love and would miss greatly:
-400+ hp
-RWD
-Taking the top off

Items I will not miss greatly:
-Only being able to drive it 7 months of the year due to weather
-Really only getting to drive it by myself. Anytime the wife and daughter are around we take the mazda5 due to the vette being 2 seat only. Id love to have a fun car we can all fit in and enjoy.

Im also wondering about the centers of the seats. How does that red and black section hold up? It looks like it is made out of stretchy dancing tights in the pictures.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 30, 2011