Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Would touchwiz for ICS be that much different than touchwiz for Honeycomb though? They have the later now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'll be fine with it if all they do is install some of their lovely software but otherwise leave it as a nexus device. I'm sure someone will come out with a patch by day 2 to remove that poo poo.

If they actually try to lock down a nexus device though :smithicide:

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
P3Droid is saying it won't make October.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

jfreder posted:

P3Droid is saying it won't make October.

I was under the impression that he was referring to the Nexus Prime? Unless they are now the same phone. Also there is always the possibility that the New Princess won't be released in October, but the Droid Prime will be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Galler posted:

I'll be fine with it if all they do is install some of their lovely software but otherwise leave it as a nexus device. I'm sure someone will come out with a patch by day 2 to remove that poo poo.

If they actually try to lock down a nexus device though :smithicide:

That's the thing though, if it's Droid Prime, it isn't a nexus device. The real question is, will it at least be a Nexus device in spirit.

The whole point of the article saying that "Droid Prime exclusive to VZW" is kind of silly at the face of it. Of course something that's branded Droid is exclusive to VZW. The real question is, will there be a Nexus line that follows for the other carriers.

My take is this. The LTE SGSII was on a later track of development than the rest of the variants due to the immaturity of LTE. Verizon probably passed on a CDMA only SGSII because it didn't make sense to have a 'flagship' level phone not on LTE. Being on a later track of development, other specs were upgraded (screen resolution, processor speed.)

This upgraded SGSII phone is what will become the Nexus Prime, but probably won't release to other carriers yet due to it being so close to the release of the SGSII. They basically don't want to overshadow the release of their branded handset with an upgraded version so soon.

So, that's where things turn to Verizon. Verizon probably doesn't want to sell a Nexus branded device due to it not falling in line with their normal product branding. So, Samsung takes the Nexus Prime, it gets branded as a Droid phone to fall in line with the VZW's flagship branding, and that gives us the launch of ICS like the original Droid launched Eclair.

The real question is, did the conversion over to Droid branding change anything else about the phone. We won't know that for awhile and we may not even have a basis for comparison since there will be no other ICS device on the market yet.

My bet is, we'll see a Nexus variant of the Droid Prime making it's way to other carriers in the Jan-Feb time frame. I would say it's POSSIBLE for the Nexus variant to come out in the Thanksgiving time frame, but that may still be too close to the launch of the SGSII in Sept.

The other important thing for me is if it actually is Droid branded, it will likely show up at Costco. So, I can be confident buying the Bionic now and if the Droid Prime comes out before December 8th and it's awesome, I'll be able to exchange for it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 29, 2011

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Codiusprime posted:

I was under the impression that he was referring to the Nexus Prime? Unless they are now the same phone. Also there is always the possibility that the New Princess won't be released in October, but the Droid Prime will be.

I guess it is a possibility that the Droid Prime shows up on Verizon in October, then the Nexus Prime comes out on more carriers. I did get the impression that they are the same Samsung phone but who knows. I'll probably end up with a Bionic or iPhone 5 anyways.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

bull3964 posted:

The other important thing for me is if it actually is Droid branded, it will likely show up at Costco. So, I can be confident buying the Bionic now and if the Droid Prime comes out before December 8th and it's awesome, I'll be able to exchange for it.

This is a pretty good idea, and probably what I'll end up doing.

Even if the Droid Prime wasn't at Costco for some reason I imagine you could probably sell the Bionic with all the extras for at least what the the Prime retails for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

NewcastleBrown posted:

Even if the Droid Prime wasn't at Costco for some reason I imagine you could probably sell the Bionic with all the extras for at least what the the Prime retails for.

Yeah, that would be my plan B if I found the Prime compelling enough.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

This upgraded SGSII phone is what will become the Nexus Prime, but probably won't release to other carriers yet due to it being so close to the release of the SGSII.

I don't think Google has any qualms about releasing a Nexus ICS device over the SGSII in a short timeframe, and I'm not sure how much Samsung has to say in the matter. However, I always felt that October was an unrealistic release timeline for an LTE/CDMA/GSM/UMTS multi-carrier Nexus device launch (if such can even exist).

To be honest, this makes sense. Working with Samsung to get a Droid Prime released on Verizon in October to challenge the iPhone 5 makes absolute sense, and a Nexus Prime (or Nexus whatever) will probably release on GSM/UMTS carriers in Dec-Jan. Sprint will probably get a lol WiMAX model sometime next Spring.

bull3964 posted:

So, I can be confident buying the Bionic now and if the Droid Prime comes out before December 8th and it's awesome, I'll be able to exchange for it.
Since the Bionic is also OMAP, it wouldn't surprise me if it saw a somewhat-fast ICS port. Morotola might even fast-track one (at some expense of Blur?) to remain competitive with the Droid Prime.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 29, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, Verizon accounts for over 40% of all Android sales so that's the best battleground to fight the iPhone. Releasing a Droid branded device makes the most sense then since there's already so much marketing behind that.

Yeah, I am expecting the Bionic to get a pretty quick ICS port. ICS isn't what I would exchange the phone for. If they somehow managed to make it pretty thin and keep good battery life on LTE or if the screen is really head and shoulders above anything else on the market, then I would consider it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DaNzA posted:

You can do it if you have a router running some sort of custom firmware like dd-wrt or tomato. Then you can just bridge the wifi to LAN.

Also I strongly recommend you to not do it because 10GB is really really small for a family of four, especially if you are going to use it as the primary internet. You will most likely go over and get hit by absurd overage charges as 4G is not designed for fix point access.

I know it doesn't sound like a lot (and compared to most internet providers, it really isn't), but I'm gonna give you a quick little rundown of what Hughesnet (our current provider) offers:

*A whopping 425MB (that's right, Mega, not Giga) of data per rolling 24 hour period for the entire network, at which point the internet drops to a rate of approximately what cell phones circa 2001 worked at (I've never tested fully, but it's seriously in the single digit kbs), and stays there for a full 24 hours (unless you attempt to use the internet while the cap is on, in which case it gets extended a little). This means things like Netflix, Hulu, watching anything on Youtube longer than a couple minutes, etc. are out already, because a solid half hour TV show is a good couple hundred Megs, and gently caress you if you want to watch an hour drama or (god forbid) a movie. Luckily, there is a free period between the hours of 1 and 6 in the morning, so if you're willing to wreck your sleep schedule, you can catch up on your sitcoms, but only for those five hours.

*When the network is running full and top speed, speeds of around 180-200kbps are the best we can hope to get, so even if it is 3:30 in the morning and I want to watch something, odds are even that I'll have to wait a couple minutes to get started up.

*The lag is a solid second, due to using a satellite, so online gaming is out, unless you want to play Chess or Tetris.

*The traditional worries about satellites recieving signal are in full force, occastionally it goes out during bad weather (though it's not terrible in this aspect).

*The single worst thing, though, is the customer service. Not informative, not terrible helpful and super unorganized. There was a period last summer where we were without internet at all for an entire month, because our modem went out, and it took us three or four calls to the customer service number to actually get them to place an order, because we would call, they would say they placed an order, and that our modem should be arriving in 5-7 days, and 8 days later we'd call and, whoops, looks like that never actually got placed. This happened multiple times. And even when we had fairly simple products that couldn't be fixed by ourselves, it took hours of waiting and talking to get anywhere. This isn't an isolated incident, either. On customer service rating websites, I rarely ever see Hughesnet get positive reviews, indicating that something is horribly wrong.

*We can't get anything else. We live just far enough out that the phone companies aren't ever gonna reach us with broadband/fiber/anything more than dial-up, so satellite was our only option until now.

tl;dr: We're getting Verizon, despite it not being ideal, because our current provider is the IP equivalent of a kick to the dick.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

bull3964 posted:

If you want to hedge your bets, buy a Bionic at Costco so you have 90 days to return it. 3 months should carry you out through all the releases for the rest of the year.
Wait, you can really do this? So if I buy a Bionic at Costco, I can just return the phone and terminate my contract within 90 days?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cicero posted:

Wait, you can really do this? So if I buy a Bionic at Costco, I can just return the phone and terminate my contract within 90 days?

Return was the wrong word to use, sorry, it would be exchange.

Contract terms are the same as they are with Verizon. You have 14 days to return and undo a contract/subsidized upgrade. However, Costco allows you to do exchanges up to 90 days from purchase date. The only caveat there, obviously, is it has to be a phone that's carried in Costco.

So, buy a bionic on the 8th at $299 and the mythical Droid Prime comes out any day up till December 8th for the same price and costco carries it? You can walk into the store and do a straight up trade. If it's more, you only have to pay the difference.

But 14 days is still the get out of contract point.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ah, I see. Is the Nexus S carried at Costco?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cicero posted:

Ah, I see. Is the Nexus S carried at Costco?

They don't appear to online, I never looked in the store.

From what I can tell, they usually carry the same handsets that are in corporate stores. The Nexus S for T-Mobile and AT&T is Best Buy exclusive AFAIK and it looks like their selection of Sprint phones is very limited.

Verizon has the most phones listed by far it seems.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Return was the wrong word to use, sorry, it would be exchange.

Contract terms are the same as they are with Verizon. You have 14 days to return and undo a contract/subsidized upgrade. However, Costco allows you to do exchanges up to 90 days from purchase date. The only caveat there, obviously, is it has to be a phone that's carried in Costco.

So, buy a bionic on the 8th at $299 and the mythical Droid Prime comes out any day up till December 8th for the same price and costco carries it? You can walk into the store and do a straight up trade. If it's more, you only have to pay the difference.

But 14 days is still the get out of contract point.

Is this 100% guaranteed? It seems questionable that they'd let you exchange for another phone at a subsidized price after 14 days. But if so, will they charge a restocking fee?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

Is this 100% guaranteed? It seems questionable that they'd let you exchange for another phone at a subsidized price after 14 days. But if so, will they charge a restocking fee?

That's costco's policy (it was confirmed by an associate the works the booth earlier in this thread.) They also don't charge a restocking fee for anything.

This is from the website.

quote:

If I do not like my phone, can I exchange my phone for another phone?

To exchange your purchase, please contact our customer service team. Please do not bring your purchase to a Costco warehouse. Costco.com's exchange policy for cellular phones is 90 days from date of purchase. During the exchange process you will be charged the full retail price for your replacement phone until we receive your original purchase back. Upon receipt and processing of your original device we will refund the full price of your replacement phone.

This is the website info for ordering online so obviously the stuff about not bringing it to a warehouse is not applicable.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, that's really awesome, and kind of unreal. Couldn't someone conceivably take advantage of that and just get a new phone every three months?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

doctor thodt posted:

Wow, that's really awesome, and kind of unreal. Couldn't someone conceivably take advantage of that and just get a new phone every three months?

Exchange periods are always from contract start date, an exchange does not reset this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Wow, that's really awesome, and kind of unreal.
Costco is known for having the best exchange/warranty policies out there. They highly prioritize customer satisfaction. If you're a member, it's usually worth purchasing any gadget-type item from them you can, if the price + sales tax is right.

Since they're a membership club, I wonder if they've ever terminated customers who abuse their policies a bit too much.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Costco is known for having the best exchange/warranty policies out there. They highly prioritize customer satisfaction. If you're a member, it's usually worth purchasing any gadget-type item from them you can, if the price + sales tax is right.

Since they're a membership club, I wonder if they've ever terminated customers who abuse their policies a bit too much.
Their return policy is awesome and it sucks that people abused it to get free computer upgrades. Now electronics are excluded from the "if you bought it here, take it back any time, no questions asked" return policy, but everything else is perfectly OK to return even a decade later so long as you're a member.

I read at one point the rule was that if the total dollar amount of your returns in a given year exceeded the dollar amount of purchases, they reserved the right to cancel your membership (probably something done at a manager's discretion if you were a problem customer). I have never known anyone who first-hand tested this though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Costco owns, and I'm a member from life. Anything big-ticket I buy from there just for the piece of mind. Furniture? Beds? Hell yeah, if poo poo goes downhill, I can just bring them back. Not that I've had to, but it's totally worth it just to have that ability if I need it. This also means that I'm totally in on the Bionic due to the exchange rule.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The SCH-i515, which may be the Droid Prime, passed bluetooth SIG.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/29/samsung-nexusdroid-prime-cruises-through-bluetooth-sig/

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
I really want one of these fancy new 4G phones (specifically the SGSII), but I'm relatively pressed for time since I might not have access to my cell phone past Feb '12. Considering getting a bionic when/if it comes out instead otherwise I might still stick it out with my OG Storm and hope the SGSII comes out sometime before the end of November :qq:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I've been running the leaked Gingerbread update for my Droid 2 Global for about a week now and it handles like a dream, so much so that I will probably even skip over the Bionic and wait for the Droid Prime or something even further down the line. I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the new Blur is great.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bambi posted:

I've been running the leaked Gingerbread update for my Droid 2 Global for about a week now and it handles like a dream, so much so that I will probably even skip over the Bionic and wait for the Droid Prime or something even further down the line. I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the new Blur is great.

There's a leaked Gingerbread for the D2G? I thought it was only for the Droid 2.

Is it still rootable with Z4root?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Kyrosiris posted:

There's a leaked Gingerbread for the D2G? I thought it was only for the Droid 2.

Is it still rootable with Z4root?

I've never rooted a phone before (why are you looking at me like that? :() so I don't know, but you can check it out for yourself:

http://www.talkandroid.com/54724-droid-2-global-gingerbread-build-leaks/

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

a quick little rundown of what Hughesnet
Thought you were in an area with dsl/cable :v: and oh man the satellite does sound terrible and 4G seem to be great in your situation.

Also check out IDSL or ISDN in your area if you haven't. They are an ancient tech but supposedly they have nearly unlimited range and are supported by all telcos. Take a look at this.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

005060524 posted:

I really want one of these fancy new 4G phones (specifically the SGSII), but I'm relatively pressed for time since I might not have access to my cell phone past Feb '12. Considering getting a bionic when/if it comes out instead otherwise I might still stick it out with my OG Storm and hope the SGSII comes out sometime before the end of November :qq:

If you plan on waiting for the Verizon SGS2 you're going to be waiting a while.

Like, a long while. In your case I would go for the Bionic but that's just me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Can I use my Droid X to browse the Internet on wifi in Europe? It won't somehow charge me anything because it's a CDMA phone and everything there is GSM so there's nothing it can connect to, right?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Can I use my Droid X to browse the Internet on wifi in Europe? It won't somehow charge me anything because it's a CDMA phone and everything there is GSM so there's nothing it can connect to, right?

Yes, and correct. Just make sure to leave the phone in airplane mode (which still lets you toggle WiFi) or your phone will kill the battery in a vain search for a CDMA signal.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
This just in! This morning in Austin, Texas I was having a terrible time getting a 3G connection on my Verizon 3G/4G hotspot. Very unusual as it almost always just works and rarely drops connection.

So i rebooted the device and..it hopped on 4G! I ran a speedtest in disbelief. 20x6. Certainly LTE. I left it on the rest of the morning as i drove to several appointments in southwest Austin and it stayed connected to 4G for several hours straight. I drove as far south as Shady Hollow before it flipped to 3G. I picked up 4G again a few times driving down 1626 into Hays county but lost it for good near northern Kyle. Until I got to northern Kyle any time it went back to 3G i had no internet..so something funky is going on with their testing in regards to 3G.

I don't know if they're bringing it up for good or if it will go away and return later with a formal announcement but..it's not far away in Austin. FINALLY!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chedemefedeme posted:

This just in! This morning in Austin, Texas I was having a terrible time getting a 3G connection on my Verizon 3G/4G hotspot. Very unusual as it almost always just works and rarely drops connection.

So i rebooted the device and..it hopped on 4G! I ran a speedtest in disbelief. 20x6. Certainly LTE. I left it on the rest of the morning as i drove to several appointments in southwest Austin and it stayed connected to 4G for several hours straight. I drove as far south as Shady Hollow before it flipped to 3G. I picked up 4G again a few times driving down 1626 into Hays county but lost it for good near northern Kyle. Until I got to northern Kyle any time it went back to 3G i had no internet..so something funky is going on with their testing in regards to 3G.

I don't know if they're bringing it up for good or if it will go away and return later with a formal announcement but..it's not far away in Austin. FINALLY!

I'm kind of impressed that Iowa City is getting less than a month after Austin, considering the relative sizes of the two cities. Hell, we only got 3G in March of last year. Not that I'm gonna complain.

Now as soon as there's a 4G compatible iPhone/iPad, I'll be in heaven.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

And a guy on howard forums points me to http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391561,00.asp

Apparently austin is officially launching sep 15 but many cities have been turned on earlier than their official dates. How the heck did I miss this announcement? I've been following every single other one, mainly on engadget. Did they not cover this one? It seems like half of the engadget commenters on the past vz lte articles of theirs were austin nerds amazed LTE wasn't here yet.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

I am waiting on the next iPhone to get released and will likely jump from T-Mobile to Verizon when it drops. On release day, am I restricted to picking it up only from a Verizon store so that I can get 2 year incentive contract pricing and not be a complete pain in the rear end? I have an Apple store that's conveniently located, as well as a Best Buy.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Does anyone know if the Bionic will have an unlocked boot loader when it is released (or likelihood of that happening)? So far, I've only been able to find information from June or mid August and was hoping for something more up to date.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Non one knows, but it's likely to be locked for now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

duffmensch posted:

Does anyone know if the Bionic will have an unlocked boot loader when it is released (or likelihood of that happening)? So far, I've only been able to find information from June or mid August and was hoping for something more up to date.

Motorola said they would start unlocking bootloaders on devices later this year.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Well this has turned out to be a complete pain in the rear. I was unable to get on 3G or 4G for a good part of this evening. Is this kind of service interruption normal during a LTE turnup in a city? Didn't have anything critical this evening but I realized how spoiled I am by the usual complete reliability of Verizon's network.

All during the day transitions from 4G to 3G failed. It wouldn't get an IP address until I rebooted the device. In markets I've been in where the rollout was complete and established the transition was pretty smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Well, I ordered my replacement droid3 yesterday. It would reboot once or twice per day randomly in my pocket and the battery only would last for about 6 hours before shutting itself off. They're sending me a new phone, extended battery, and the micro SD card that wasn't in the box. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer. They even had me restore it and it still rebooted today.

• Locked thread