Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I like the cowl stripes, but I don't know how I feel about stealing from Chevy.

Yeah that's another reason why I'm a bit skeptical about it. I definitely wouldn't follow it up with trunk-only-stripes in the back, I'd just leave it on the hood. One of the benefits of the cowl stripes is that it'd only be 100 bucks, so if I hated it too much I could just pull it off and I could install/uninstall it myself. The factory hood scoop requires drilling into the hood, so it's not as easily undoable... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007
Just finished throwing on my Roush CAI and Roush Axle-back exhaust. CAI slapped in within 20 minutes.

When removing the stock exhaust, it was an absolute pain in the rear end to remove it from the hangers. That took a good 45 minutes (between both) to pull them off with all the muscle my scrawny self has. Once that was taken care of, it was about 15 minutes to put the new Roush exhaust on. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I liked the little details about how they actually include the clamps rather than re-using the stock ones like most others do. Sounds mean when stepping on it, but is still quiet a cruising speed.

I will make a video if you guys want it tomorrow.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Aberroyc posted:

Nah that's cool.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Aberroyc posted:

Just finished throwing on my Roush CAI and Roush Axle-back exhaust. CAI slapped in within 20 minutes.

When removing the stock exhaust, it was an absolute pain in the rear end to remove it from the hangers. That took a good 45 minutes (between both) to pull them off with all the muscle my scrawny self has. Once that was taken care of, it was about 15 minutes to put the new Roush exhaust on. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I liked the little details about how they actually include the clamps rather than re-using the stock ones like most others do. Sounds mean when stepping on it, but is still quiet a cruising speed.

Yeah you have to drop the panhard bar. If not it's nearly impossible.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Or don't buy a panhard bar that doesn't fit right.

Are you saying Maximum Motorsports makes inferior quality products? ;)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

Are you saying Maximum Motorsports makes inferior quality products? ;)

Not at all, but their stuff is designed for road racing and usually has a warning that you can't run stock tail pipes with it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Edelbrock is offering warranties with their superchargers, for a cost.

quote:

Have you been considering supercharging your 2011-2012 Ford Mustang but you're afraid for the #8 issue? Well there is now a solution to this. Blow By Racing, an Authorized Edelbrock Dealer and Install Center offers these systems with the optional Edelbrock Warranty Plans!!!
2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L 4V E-Force Supercharger System now with up to a 5 year 60k mile warranty. That's right... a 60,000 MILE WARRANTY...and I don't just mean on the blower. They will cover engine, transmission and rear end damage.

Allow me to elaborate a little more on how much they cover. Edelbrock is offering (3) different warranty coverage plans now.

1. 36 months / 36k total miles

code:
Coverage level - warranty cost - max liability coverage

*Platinum          $795.00                 $19,000

*Gold              $550.00                $13,000

*Silver            $275.00                 $9,000
2. 60 months / 60k total miles
code:

*Platinum            $995.00                  $19,000

*Gold                $750.00                  $13,000

*Silver              $475.00                   $9,000
3. 60 months / 100k total miles

code:

*Platinum          $1,150.00                $19,000

*Gold              $950.00                  $13,000

*Silver            $775.00                  $9,000
oh yeah...and did I mention there is a $0 deductible???******

Coverage Details and Requirements

* Kit must be installed by a:
- New Vehicle Dealer
- Edelbrock Certified Install Center
- ASE Certified Mechanic at Licensed Business

* Valid in U.S. & Canada ONLY

* Vehicle must be within the original factory powertrain warranty to be eligible.

* Vehicle must use Edelbrock supplied PCM Calibration to be eligible. (which I might add is very spot on)

* Warranty coverage provided by :
- Cornerstone Dealer Services - Direct Claims to 1-800-682-9761

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Not at all, but their stuff is designed for road racing and usually has a warning that you can't run stock tail pipes with it.

Yea, I kinda knew that going in, that is why I had a professional do it.
Good God, now that I have the car back, it's incredible! I would take pictures but its gonna rain and lighting conditions are not that great right now.

The car just sits a little lower in the rear, the car feels different when going around the corners. The exhaust had to be elongated to go over the axle's the Magnaflow catback has a new deeper sound.

He did find a couple of problems, so the car will have to go back when he is less busy. they are not major problems but now that I know about them, its gonna annoy the poo poo out of me until they are fixed.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

I first posted this in the CL Gold thread but was directed here for better opinions. Right now I'm thinking about getting a class Mustang that's been on CL for a while now.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2551171462.html

They have been trying to get rid of it for at least 3 months now and they started to offer financing. I'm trying to figure out if I can shoot for a lower price (They want $21,900) but I have no examples to estimate the value of it. It's not a Mach 1 and I don't think it's an original Boss 302, I can't really figure out what the base model was before the restoration. I still have to talk to the guy about the specs and see it in person though. I know there isn't much info but does this seem like a good purchase for a second vehicle/weekend ride?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Diseased Yak posted:

I just wanna say, I usually hate any front grille design that lacks the pony in the center, but dear lord, your GT CS looks so. loving. mean.

Congrats on the buy.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Secret Machine posted:

I know there isn't much info but does this seem like a good purchase for a second vehicle/weekend ride?

Not unless you absolutely love this car and it has everything you've ever wanted in a Mustang. That's the price they're asking.
If this car was around $10k is would be an OK deal.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

frozenphil posted:

Not unless you absolutely love this car and it has everything you've ever wanted in a Mustang. That's the price they're asking.

That sounds about right. I really wanted a 1970 Mach 1 but thought I could settle for that. And I'm not digging that color combination either. Thanks!

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

loving. Barrett. Jackson.

Now everyone with a first gen Mustang thinks they can get 100k for it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah that's easily double what that car is actually worth, hell, there's a freshly restored 70 Mach 1 on craigslist here for about $6,000 more than that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ApathyGifted posted:

loving. Barrett. Jackson.

Now everyone with a first gen Mustang thinks they can get 100k for it.

gently caress the first gens, I know a guy with a 99 V6 autopony who thinks he's gonna get 15k for it when he sells it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I wish people would tell the fox body people that most are now almost 20 some years old, and being beyond modified does not make them worth 15k. I would love to get one but one that is half way decent is priced out to much. Guess I should stick to the 3rd gen F bodies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I wish people would tell the fox body people that most are now almost 20 some years old, and being beyond modified does not make them worth 15k. I would love to get one but one that is half way decent is priced out to much. Guess I should stick to the 3rd gen F bodies.

If you are willing to fly, Boise has some decent prices on fox bodies, such as this one:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Something tells me there also might be a Foreigner tape that's been stuck in the deck for far too long.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
yeah, the double picture was imgurs extension freaking out.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I love that fox bodies are still selling for the same price there were in 1996.

As to the first gen market being ridiculous due to Barrett-Jackson; I met a man who had Mustang parts for early Mustangs. I went to his place and looked through his absolute junk and spotted an old Mustang next to the garage. It had rusted so much it was little more than a firewall and a roof; just enough to identify it as a '67 fastback.
Me, pointing to the rusted out Mustang: So, what are your plans for that?
Him: Oh, I'm gonna sell that to someone wanting to make an Elenor clone.
Me, incredulously: Someone will pay money for that?
Him, smug: Oh yeah. I'll get at least $10k for it. These Barrett-Jackson people sell cars like this for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The disconnect from the amount of difference between a Barrett-Jackson level restoration of a car with a notable history that enables the car to pull hundreds of thousands of dollars and the piece of poo poo by their garage is just staggering to witness in person.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

frozenphil posted:

The disconnect from the amount of difference between a Barrett-Jackson level restoration of a car with a notable history that enables the car to pull hundreds of thousands of dollars and the piece of poo poo by their garage is just staggering to witness in person.

You assume that idiocy only occurs on the seller's end. It's an insane price, to be sure, but there's a sucker born every minute, so if you have the time to sit on it and find that sucker...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

PT6A posted:

You assume that idiocy only occurs on the seller's end. It's an insane price, to be sure, but there's a sucker born every minute, so if you have the time to sit on it and find that sucker...

I bet people think that about me when I tell them mine isn't for sale because, "I'm totally going to restore it one day".

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
FI Mustang question, don't know much about them so forgive my layman terms. One came in on the hook today, 94 GT with a blown 5.0. Aftermarket everything under the hood, towed in because he was attempting to replace his vacuum booster and disconneted everything to try. Couldn't get it out so in comes me. I drove it in, engine ran ok enough, parking brake stopped. I had to pull the intake plenum and move a few things to get clearance to R/R. Fired it back up after the work was complete and it keeps stalling out. Unplug the booster and it idles rough around 2 grand, plug it back in and it stalls out. I believe the plenum said TRICK FLOW or similar on it, and the supercharger looked like a belt driven alternator on the passengers side. Ideas what I missed? Checked all the connections and things appear to be put together properly.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

FI Mustang question, don't know much about them so forgive my layman terms. One came in on the hook today, 94 GT with a blown 5.0. Aftermarket everything under the hood, towed in because he was attempting to replace his vacuum booster and disconneted everything to try. Couldn't get it out so in comes me. I drove it in, engine ran ok enough, parking brake stopped. I had to pull the intake plenum and move a few things to get clearance to R/R. Fired it back up after the work was complete and it keeps stalling out. Unplug the booster and it idles rough around 2 grand, plug it back in and it stalls out. I believe the plenum said TRICK FLOW or similar on it, and the supercharger looked like a belt driven alternator on the passengers side. Ideas what I missed? Checked all the connections and things appear to be put together properly.

Turn the spout on the distributor 180 out from where you have it and see how she runs.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frozenphil posted:

Turn the spout on the distributor 180 out from where you have it and see how she runs.

Out of curiousity what would this do? Didn't remove anything electronic and attempted to move only hard parts.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Out of curiousity what would this do? Didn't remove anything electronic and attempted to move only hard parts.

Fucks up the firing order if you have it in backwards, and most people put it in backwards when they install it. It causes a problem that sounds exactly like yours, and since you pulled the intake I didn't think it that crazy that you'd pull the distributor too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frozenphil posted:

Fucks up the firing order if you have it in backwards, and most people put it in backwards when they install it. It causes a problem that sounds exactly like yours, and since you pulled the intake I didn't think it that crazy that you'd pull the distributor too.

Ah gotcha. I got it running decently today, if just a hair of a high idle. It ran great when cold and died out as soon as the throttle was tapped warmed up. Smoked it to make sure everything was together tight, didn't see anything. Found a similar issue online about the IAC so I unplugged it, reset the idle, and plugged it back in to relearn. Idles about 900, little high I think, but its not dying hot any more. Customer was finally gottne ahold of and he says he's been having some issues with it anyways so we're shipping the car.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

That was going to be my next suggestion, along with checking the TPS voltage.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Oh god, American Muscle is selling a lambo door kit now, which means that a thousand barries just got the brilliant idea that Lamborghini doors are exactly what their Mustang needs!

Edit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/lambo-door-kit-0509.html

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugg boots posted:

Oh god, American Muscle is selling a lambo door kit now, which means that a thousand barries just got the brilliant idea that Lamborghini doors are exactly what their Mustang needs!

Edit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/lambo-door-kit-0509.html

They've been selling them for awhile. American Muscle shop days are a hilarious mix of local heavy hitters on the street racing scene and the lambo door'ed show car people with their ridiculous paint and CHROME/CARBON FIBER ALL OF IT! engine bay/interior styling technique.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
One of my former co-workers just sent me an email of the new Mustang he just got, it is a Kentucky Speedway Pace Car GT convertible. Hell of an upgrade from the Prius he used to drive.

He was actually in the market for a 370z before I told him that he must at least drive the Mustang before making a decision.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That car is... gross.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
There are only two, maybe three, "pace car" editions in the history of man that I could own without shame. The white '69 Camaro with orange stripes, and the late '70s Corvette that had a black and silver Indy pace car theme. Almost every other pace car package has been hideous.

And Kentucky Speedway? Unless it's Indy, or possibly Daytona, it ain't a pace car.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

They've been selling them for awhile. American Muscle shop days are a hilarious mix of local heavy hitters on the street racing scene and the lambo door'ed show car people with their ridiculous paint and CHROME/CARBON FIBER ALL OF IT! engine bay/interior styling technique.

There's 0 reviews so let's hope and pray that nobody has actually bought it and those aren't customer photos. I don't understand why anyone would buy those but whatever.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

That car is... gross.

At first I thought I was looking at a SN95 because of how the paint job was tricking my eyes, but then I noticed the indistinguishable front bumper and 5.0 badge and it all came together. :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Kenne Bell put their 3.6L liquid cooled super charger on a Boss 302 and made 851rwhp @20psi with no other mods except a boost-a-pump and 75lb injectors to handle the fuel.
There aren't many cars out there that I know of that will make 851rwhp for under $8k in mods.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what do these cars have in common aside from being all Fords and arguably all Mustangs?

They're all going to be in Forza 4.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Kenne Bell put their 3.6L liquid cooled super charger on a Boss 302 and made 851rwhp @20psi with no other mods except a boost-a-pump and 75lb injectors to handle the fuel.
There aren't many cars out there that I know of that will make 851rwhp for under $8k in mods.

I know the Boss has better internals but honestly what kind of reliability are we talking about pushing even 700 horsepower. I know there's GT500's that run on the street at that kind of power but it's an entirely different beast. I mean obviously this is subjective but I'm honestly curious how possible this really is. Could you daily drive it?

Plus the GT500 has a transmission proven to handle tons of abuse.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

I know the Boss has better internals but honestly what kind of reliability are we talking about pushing even 700 horsepower. I know there's GT500's that run on the street at that kind of power but it's an entirely different beast. I mean obviously this is subjective but I'm honestly curious how possible this really is. Could you daily drive it?

Plus the GT500 has a transmission proven to handle tons of abuse.

The guys at Kenne Bell have a few thousand miles on it and something like 1500+ dyno pulls. They said they wouldn't hesitate to go cross country in it at the drop of a hat. They say that it rides and idles like stock and you'd never know it was modified until you put your foot in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Is there an X-Pipe out there that will work with these:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt_exhaust_mufflers_and_tail_pipes_2011_stainless_pair_5.0L.aspx

on a 08 V6?

e: Bonus question. How often is an FRPP CAI filter supposed to be replaced? I got about 6K miles on mine after my cross country drive and I seem to recall that this is roughly their lifetime interval?

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 31, 2011